How to invade Russia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Griskard said:
The gap between American/NATO forces and Russian forces in training and equipment is almost non-existent. Willingness to fight makes a huge difference. Take for example the war in Afghanistan, 6 years and they still have failed to make much difference, despite killing Osama bin Laden several times...

That's because they didn't opt for a program of extermination of the entire population.

If I had to take over Russia, for some stupid and pointless reason, I would do it as follows:

1. Provoke Russia into attacking all the ex-Soviet countries first. This will get a large portion of its forces stuck, as many of the ex-Soviet countries do not like Russia very much.

2. Convince all the oil and gas tycoons of Russia that invading China is a good idea. Preferably while filling them with white powder up their noses. They will then convince the Russian military to do this.

3. Help Chechnya get hooked up with al-Qaeda and Mexican druglords and learn all the latest terror techniques. Then, have Chechen rebels use these techniques on Russian heartland.

4. Encourage the racist skinhead Russians. Maybe even help them get into power. Teach them to rule in the style of African warlords.

5. Wait for about twenty years.

6. Finally, when it's time to invade, make sure that the entire rest of the world is unified under a totalitarian world government. Ruled by yourself, of course.

This is not exactly the fastest way, but it does cost the least amount of resources and men for the guy who wants to take over Russia.

So basically your plan involves total control of Russia and it's government and companies to force them to make awful decisions and then invade them... for total control?

Griskard said:
Its not a matter of "can we get oil" its a matter of "can we transport ENOUGH oil"
Given we're a net exporter, I can't see how we wouldn't be able to. Unless we reduce pumping for some reason.
A third of the words oil and natural gas flows through Russia. It doesn't matter if you capture the oil fields if they blow the pipelines (And you would have to take the entirety of Russia to take all the oil fields)
Last I checked, the entire of Russia was not an oil field.
Alright then, American's run out of oil... Whatever the case, One third of the worlds oil stops going where it was meant to, your gonna tell me noone notices?
Whose going to notice precisely? America? They wouldn't turn up to the war until it'd been going for a few years. Europe? even when they've finished executing governments and decided which side they're on, they're as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
Willingness to fight makes a huge difference. Take for example the war in Afghanistan, 6 years and they still have failed to make much difference, despite killing Osama bin Laden several times...
Last I checked they were having elections, which is a pretty big difference really. More than the Soviet Union managed anyway. And it's not like the insurgents have managed much. A few hundred dead for how many of theirs, a few thousand? Insurgencies tend to rely on killing more of the enemy than they kill of you.
Ok, you use your Ukranian tanks. You still need fuel for longer than 2 months.
Why Ukranian tanks, why not just move our tanks to the Ukraine and use their fuel? Or is Ukranian diesel incompatible with Western combustion engines?
You have constant issues in Afghanistan, currently you pay the Rus.sians to use them to transport your stuff to Afghan land, because your old route got shut down by taliban
They've shut down the Khyber pass, used to move humanitarian aid, not military supplies. I fail to see it having a huge effect on the military campaign.

Ok I've come up with a better way to invade Russia!

First: Dig a hole starting in Ukraine.
Second: Dig till your about in the middle of Russia.
Third: Come up to the surface.
Fourth: Pull out your weapon of choice. ( Preferably a weapon that shoots bullets )
Fifth: Pull out your Mp3 so you can listen to music while your taking over Russia.
Sixth: Shoot every russian that dares to fight back.
Seventh: Enjoy some vodka because your have just taken over Russia.

Now this is just an idea, but Im sure if you have alot of songs on your Mp3 and alot of bullets, taking over russia shouldn't be that hard. Supplies? Well just take some stimpaks with ya and I'm sure you'll be allright.

Given we're a net exporter, I can't see how we wouldn't be able to. Unless we reduce pumping for some reason.

Thats like saying because you use a vehicle to drive to work, you can haul mining machinery halfway across the country because it needs to be transported via a vehicle. Your Ford Focus isn't gonna cut it.

Last I checked, the entire of Russia was not an oil field.

Sending your men to hold large areas of land, in an isolated, hostile environment isn't done to often for a reason. I was assuming you weren't planning on throwing away men on suicide missions, but I might have been mistaken. Generally you want a land corridor of some sort...

Whose going to notice precisely? America? They wouldn't turn up to the war until it'd been going for a few years. Europe? even when they've finished executing governments and decided which side they're on, they're as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Echum. A Third of the worlds oil and natural gas stops going where its meant to, and nobody is going to have a clue, we will just all get on with our happy lives. I see. I failed to include that in my calculations. I assume you were going to convert the jets to run off horse urine? I heard its possible...

Last I checked they were having elections, which is a pretty big difference really. More than the Soviet Union managed anyway. And it's not like the insurgents have managed much. A few hundred dead for how many of theirs, a few thousand? Insurgencies tend to rely on killing more of the enemy than they kill of you.

Actually, The soviet union brought health care, infrastructure, education and law enforcement levels up to quite a high level, higher than what we have now. The government at the time was democratically elected and continued to run the country for several years afterwards at even higher levels again.

Insurgencys in recent history have always  lost more. Its not a case of how many you lose, its how many your willing to lose. If the Taliban are prepared to lose 30 000 men and be fighting 20 years, they are going to beat an invader who has the idea of 5 years and a few hundred dead.

Look at the Vietnam war, the Soviet-Afghan war or the Algerian war. In those three the winning side lost more. And the more you look at, they all follow that trend.

Why Ukranian tanks, why not just move our tanks to the Ukraine and use their fuel? Or is Ukranian diesel incompatible with Western combustion engines?

From the Ukraine, or are we only allowed to utilise equipment manufactured in our own countries for some reason? A logistic line into Russia is actually easier than the one we currently have to Afghanistan, yet I don't believe we have any supply issues there.

I assumed you meant Ukrainian equipment, Sorry, I misinterpreted that. Ok, you use Ukrainian oil. Pity the Ukraine has to import 2/3rds of the oil they use. Guess where that comes from. Russia.

They've shut down the Khyber pass, used to move humanitarian aid, not military supplies. I fail to see it having a huge effect on the military campaign.

Its actually used to resupply the NATO forces. When it shut down NATO was scrambling for a route, and Russia gave them one. Future routes planned go through Iran.

Griskard said:
Thats like saying because you use a vehicle to drive to work, you can haul mining machinery halfway across the country because it needs to be transported via a vehicle. Your Ford Focus isn't gonna cut it.
We got through WWII by rationing. There's plenty of oil being pumped for the military, the problem is the civilian demand. If you ration or restrict the fuel provided for the civilians then you have plenty for the army. Even assuming for some reason that there was literally no oil being pumped, standing government policy is to have a year worth of reserve at all times - a year at current consumption. Ration or restrict that from the citizens and you should have enough to keep the army in the field for a significant amount of time.

There is something else you haven't considered however - Russia is heavily dependent on the revenue from the oil and gas she pumps. Turn off the pipes to Europe and you turn off that revenue. A lack of oil can paralyse your military; a lack of money can cause the country to collapse. What would stop NATO simply sitting at the border and moving in "to restore order" when the government inevitably falls?
Sending your men to hold large areas of land, in an isolated, hostile environment isn't done to often for a reason.
If you're trying to invade a country, then this is kind of the point :lol: You're not going to successfully invade Russia unless you're capable of holding large areas of land. Russia for example ...
Echum. A Third of the worlds oil and natural gas stops going where its meant to, and nobody is going to have a clue, we will just all get on with our happy lives. I see. I failed to include that in my calculations. I assume you were going to convert the jets to run off horse urine? I heard its possible...
Like I said, we do have stockpiles. Recently increased due to the Russia / Ukraine gas bill arguments.
Look at the Vietnam war, the Soviet-Afghan war or the Algerian war. In those three the winning side lost more. And the more you look at, they all follow that trend.
Look at the amount of failed or ongoing insurgencies. There's far more of them.
I assumed you meant Ukrainian equipment, Sorry, I misinterpreted that. Ok, you use Ukrainian oil. Pity the Ukraine has to import 2/3rds of the oil they use. Guess where that comes from. Russia.
Point being, a logistic line is only an issue when you cross hostile territory. If the Ukraine remains friendly and you can provide sufficient naval protection in the Baltic (which has always been a problem for Russia) then you can quite happily build up large stockpiles in the Ukraine or similar territories. Your supply line doesn't really start until you actually enter Russia.
Its actually used to resupply the NATO forces. When it shut down NATO was scrambling for a route, and Russia gave them one. Future routes planned go through Iran.
The Khyber pass is only one of around six lines coming in from Pakistan, and has never really been secure on the Pakistani side of the border, let alone the Afghan one. According to NATO, the line carries food, clothes and humanitarian aid. The reason it's been hit is because these goods are being sold on the black market within both Pakistan and Afghanistan. If it was military supplies in there, you can count on two things happening. Firstly, the Taliban would be a damn sight better equipped, and secondly the pass would be siezed by NATO. Since it's "only humanitarian" aid, none of the commanders on the ground really give a ****. Which is the wrong idea if you ask me, but I guess asking any country to expend it's soldiers lives so people they've never met can have jumpers isn't an easy thing to do.

There is something else you haven't considered however - Russia is heavily dependent on the revenue from the oil and gas she pumps. Turn off the pipes to Europe and you turn off that revenue. A lack of oil can paralyse your military; a lack of money can cause the country to collapse. What would stop NATO simply sitting at the border and moving in "to restore order" when the government inevitably falls?

Ill give you the first bit, but Russia runs about 120 bill surplus each year, and have enough foreign reserves to pay their bills for the next 3 years, and enough in their social security fund for another two. Other treasury details are hidden so I don't know what else they have. It doesn't matter if you can, I just don't think Europe is willing to go without oil for years (Yes, they can build another pipeline and so on, but thats years, and they still wouldn't get the oil Russia pumps)

If you're trying to invade a country, then this is kind of the point  You're not going to successfully invade Russia unless you're capable of holding large areas of land. Russia for example ...

Yes, but you don't take pockets. Taking all the oil fields would mean there are places your sending men where Russia would be able to fold on and leave your men holding only the oil fields. Which would be a problem. UNLESS you take and hold enough land to the oilfield. If your going to do that you may ass well have just made a huge push directly through Russia. Look at where the oil fields are.

Like I said, we do have stockpiles. Recently increased due to the Russia / Ukraine gas bill arguments.

It would still be initially traumatic, and then very traumatic once the reserves run out.

Look at the amount of failed or ongoing insurgencies. There's far more of them.

An ongoing Insurgency isn't a failed insurgency. In fact, most insurgencys appear they are failing. Often outnumbered and outkilled, but they generally are more prepared to die than the "invaders"

The Khyber pass is only one of around six lines coming in from Pakistan, and has never really been secure on the Pakistani side of the border, let alone the Afghan one. According to NATO, the line carries food, clothes and humanitarian aid. The reason it's been hit is because these goods are being sold on the black market within both Pakistan and Afghanistan. If it was military supplies in there, you can count on two things happening. Firstly, the Taliban would be a damn sight better equipped, and secondly the pass would be siezed by NATO. Since it's "only humanitarian" aid, none of the commanders on the ground really give a ****. Which is the wrong idea if you ask me, but I guess asking any country to expend it's soldiers lives so people they've never met can have jumpers isn't an easy thing to do.

I'm not overly knowledgable on the Khyber pass, but I do know that there are many cases of Insurgents not being willing to use the enemys equipment. For example in Vietnam the American M16 was considered so unreliable and useless the Vietcong would leave them with dead bodys. In the conditions in Afghanistan not many weapons work well in desert conditions. The difference between guns is small, and if an AK works every time, you know which one to take.

Basically, cripple any and all supply lines, destroy all transport and get lots and lots of fuel and you're set. While russia is slow at mobilization, or was in WW2, all you would need to do is destroy it all with precision bombing and move in quick

Daigu said:
Basically, cripple any and all supply lines, destroy all transport and get lots and lots of fuel and you're set. While russia is slow at mobilization, or was in WW2, all you would need to do is destroy it all with precision bombing and move in quick

That is incredibly easier said than done.

The ArchAngel said:

Fourth: Pull out your weapon of choice. ( Preferably a weapon that shoots bullets )
Fifth: Pull out your Mp3 so you can listen to music while your taking over Russia.

Now this is just an idea, but Im sure if you have alot of songs on your Mp3 and alot of bullets, taking over russia shouldn't be that hard. Supplies? Well just take some stimpaks with ya and I'm sure you'll be allright.

That would be the most awesomest computer game ever.

Sensei said:
The ArchAngel said:

I'd play that.

Griskard said:
Actually, The soviet union brought health care, infrastructure, education and law enforcement levels up to quite a high level, higher than what we have now. The government at the time was democratically elected and continued to run the country for several years afterwards at even higher levels again.
You had me until you claimed the government was democratically elected. It was "democratically elected" by a Party congress in which Babrak Karmal made it clear he was Moscow's choice, and if he wasn't elected they could kiss all the Soviet aid goodbye. A whole load of Afghan communists looked at the tons of military hardware being given to the Mujahdin, and then voted for guns from Russia.

Still, the People's Democratic Party of Afghanistan and the Soviets achieved more than NATO and Karzaï, but they practically bankrupted the USSR in the process.

Sensei said:
The ArchAngel said:

Wouldn't it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom