What programming language was Mount&Blade written by?

Users who are viewing this thread

[FiziK]

Recruit
I wonder, which language did you use? Some people says about "Python". I'm learning it already. But I haven't really made sure...

well to say that it was written in  python doesnät say much does it.
What format did they use when scripting and so on..

python is the language the game is written in, simple as that.. I have never heard of any special language(or format, whatever) they use in scripts, would you be so kind to share it with the rest of us?

I know the module script system is like python scripts. But, it doesn't like scripting python at %100. And the game has "py" extension files in some mods.(*.py: Python Module/File/Executable or something.) But I couldn't see any python's dll's in the folder. Maybe they embed the dll's to the exe, right? I researched and found an embed file/string called "SKINMAGIC". It likes a dll. But not python26.dll... I know, a python exe can't run withouth it's libraries. Because, I used "py2exe" too. It makes a zip has all ".py" libraries, some dll's to exe's folder, and others... However, I saw python26.dll in dumb game "Metin2"'s folder.  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It is strange, but if it possible, I want to know how can I do this...
BTW, does anyone has "python26.dll" or "python30.dll" in C:\Windows\System32 without installing Python?
BTW2, I'm going to send messages to M&B programmers.

I am completely lost.. what I did need to edit the files was simply just insalling python 2.6 then right click on the file you want to edit and press "edit with idle"

I didn't say that. I have edit with idle selection too. But I could play m&b withouth installing python. (Because I didn't meet wonderful Python :mrgreen: ) In normally, you need to install python to run python files! But, py2exe addon:
1-Makes the original .py file to .exe file
2-Copies what the exe needs libraries and dll's
3-The user doesn't need to install Python but the exe needs libraries etc.

But I never see any library or dll or something. Simply, I just wondered it.  :grin: :grin:

Aah I see.. :oops:

well. trying to explain it very short:

Do you see any python files in the Mount and Blade folder? I don't, its all in txt.. The system they use to build the module(the modulesystem) is written in python. But the game "runs" in txt files and not python files. The programmers have simply made a bat file that convert the python files they code in to txt files.

I hope that was somewhat understandable, explaining is not my strongest side..

I could have this completly wrong but from my understanding there are scripting languages and programming languages. The scripting is used for the modifiable variables and such while the programming is the core parts of the program that are hardcoded. As far as I know Python is just the scripting language that is used for the program but I would imagine that a common programming language like C++ is used for the actual programming.

Cruger said:
Aah I see.. :oops:

well. trying to explain it very short:

Do you see any python files in the Mount and Blade folder? I don't, its all in txt.. The system they use to build the module(the modulesystem) is written in python. But the game "runs" in txt files and not python files. The programmers have simply made a bat file that convert the python files they code in to txt files.

I hope that was somewhat understandable, explaining is not my strongest side..

Yes, I didn't see it too. But some mods use .py files. They don't use batch (.bat) files sometimes. Python is an open-source language. So, maybe they have changed the source of python. For changing Python's source code, you need to take permission. It is not hard I think. Or changed the source-code of py2exe addon. That time, the program doesn't need to use .py extension files, and can use txt or ini files etc.

Virmin said:
I could have this completly wrong but from my understanding there are scripting languages and programming languages. The scripting is used for the modifiable variables and such while the programming is the core parts of the program that are hardcoded. As far as I know Python is just the scripting language that is used for the program but I would imagine that a common programming language like C++ is used for the actual programming.

1.Maybe you were right but I think a C++ program can't use python scripts. There is a py2c addon it converts python codes to C codes. Maybe they used it. And the py2c addon converts python script modules into the game. My opinion is this.
2.Python is scripting and programming language. You can convert the codes to byte-code without installing addons. (The addons are maximum 1 MB, they aren't big.) It comes with Python. I didn't try but my book says it. (In the "Commercial Programming With Python" part)

BTW, thanks guys. I thought the M&B programmers will leave a comment to this topic but thay didn't. I sent a private message and I'm waiting them.

[FiziK] said:
BTW, thanks guys. I thought the M&B programmers will leave a comment to this topic but thay didn't. I sent a private message and I'm waiting them.

They usually stay far away from this ridiculous lot of hooligans.

I think it is mount and blade script or simply mb script. They may have devised a compiler to execute their script. May the game itself is the compiler. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom