Troop trees - Troops, Troop debate - Troop suggestions - Troop pictures etc etc

Users who are viewing this thread

CCDK

Knight at Arms
I considered it a good idea to have that info in a thread of its own - together with info and debate of the units in the mod....Feel free to delete if not fitting  :wink:

Troop Trees:

mercenary:        farmer-----watchman------caravan guard---------mercenary Eirish swordsman---------galloglas
                                              \            \
                                                \              ------------------------mercenary Sarmatian------------mercenary Sarmatian_lancer
                                                \                                              \
                                                  \                                            -----------------------------mercenary_Sarmatian_horse_archer
                                                  \
                                                  ----mercenary crossbowman-------vet. crossbowman---------mercenary sniper.

(spearmen)    German light infantry-----German heavy infantry------------vet. German heavy infantry

Romano-British:

Coastal Levy-------recruit-------------legionary--------trained legionary-----------vet legionary
                \          \
                \      light cavalry------heavy cav.----------trooper
                  \
                  -------- skirmisher--------bowman--------vet. bowman

Roman:
                            (spearmen)
auxilia-----------limentii----------pseudolimentii---------veteran pseudolimentii--------------auxilia palatiner 
    \                  \              (shortswordsmen)
    \                  comitatense-------------vet.comitatense-----------millarian comitatense
      \    (archers)
      skirmisher----levantia----vet.levantia
          \        (mounted archers)
          auxilia skirmisher-----sagittarius----vet.sagittarius
                    \        (cavalry)
                scholae----------imperial German bodyguard       

Eirish: 
                                                                                                                              (heavy swordsmen)
eirish clansman-------eirish footman--------trained footman--------eirish warrior-------------eirish galloglas
                                  \                                                        \
                                    \                                                        ----eirish spearman-------------vet.eirish spearman
                                    \
                                      ----skirmisher--------------bowman---------------vet.bowman.

note:this troop tree goes for all three eirish factions

Saxon:

saxon clansman-------footman-----------warrior----------veteran------------champion axeman
                              \                          \                              \
                                \                          \                              ----------champion swordsman
                                \                          \
                                  \                          -----raiding horseman-----------vet raiding horseman
                                  \
                                    ---archer------------vet. archer------------champion archer

Cambrian/Pendragon:

Pendragon clansman----------footman------warrior----------veteran warrior-----------champion
          \                                                  \
            \                                                  ----light horseman-----------chiefs guard
            \
              ----archer----------trained archer-----------longbowman-----------veteran longbowman

note: Pendragons are the only ones to have the long bow, a brand new invention, which is going to be the second best bow in the game.

Cornwall:

Cornish recruit-------footman-------trained footman---------infantry-----------kings guard
        \                        \
          \                        ---skirmisher--------archer----------veteran archer
          -------watchman

Note:  The watchman is the mercenary troop, due to the massive amounts of mercenary armies Cornwall uses in the novel.

pictish hillman-----pictish footman-------pictish warrior----------pictish woad-------pictish champion
              \                                                                              \
              \                                                                              -----pictish warlords guard(mounted)
                \
                ----pictish skirmisher------trained skirmisher---------vet. skirmisher

Northumbria:

recruit------footman--------trained footman-------guard----------------royal guard
                    \                    \
                      \                    ---archer------champion archer
                      \
                        \                  (very heavy infantry)
                          ----danish mercenary----------danish warrior---------danish wolf warrior

Militia troops tree:

armed peasant------militia------------trained militia------------veteran militia----------militia guard
                                \                                  \
                                  \                                  ---------militia horseman
                                  \
                                      \
                                      --------militia archer-------------veteran militia archer

Make Plautus a companion. Sure, following the timeframe of the mod he's dead by now, but he's my favourite character, ever. Very British, funny, obscene and intelligent, he's a fourth century Redcoat-Mic. Let me quote the last bit of the second book for you to "inspire" you.

"...I saw only blood and I wanted an end to it. And then I saw Seneca straighten up even more and take a step back.
"Get away!" he screamed. "Back, or I'll kill the brat!"

Bemused, I looked around me and saw Plautus framed in the doorway behind me, and my own sanity returned in a rush. I put one hand on the bloody floor and pushed myself to my feet.

Plautus still held his long-sword in his right hand. His left was clutched around the hilt of a gladium that protruded from his chest. His face was deathly pale and his eyes seemed to burn in their sockets. He walked like a drunken man, one slow, staggering step at a time. There was death in his face-death for Claudius Seneca. Seneca side-stepped moving crabwise away from him, screaming again that he would kill the child.
Plautus swayed to a halt. "Go ahead," he said, in a clear, small voice. "It's not mine. All I care about is killing you, you stinking vomit."

I saw my skystone dagger lying on the floor at my feet; I saw Plautus take another lurching step; and then I saw Caius move, just as Plautus fell to his knees, blood gouting from his mouth.

Seneca, unbelievably began to laugh, a high-pitched, gibbering giggle that chilled me. He took two more sideways steps away from Plautus, still holding the baby and his own blade high above his head, and then he shook them both, blade and baby, staring at Plautus, who was trying to regain his feet. At this point, Seneca's own right heel came to rest in the angle of the cross-guard of Excalibur. He glanced quickly down, saw what it was and kicked it away from him. It slid across the marble floor, this time to stop in front of the open eyes of Caius Britannicus.

Somehow, incredibly, Plautus staggered erect again and took another stumbling, implacable step towards Seneca. As he did so I stopped and snatched up my dagger. Seneca whimpered like a child, took another skipping step backwards and then rose to his tiptoes, stretching high in the air, his eyes darting from one to the other of us as Caius Britannicus somehow swung Excalibur from where he lay, flat on the floor. The edge of the shining blade sliced into the back of Seneca's bare knees, cutting the stretched tendons, dropping him immediately and flopping him backwards so that his shoulders hit the floor. The baby Merlyn landed on his dying grandfather. Seneca screamed like a woman, squirming frantically, trying to get up, but crippled far worse than I had ever been. The baby's screams were tiny, lost in his.

I walked across to where he lay, and it seemed to take hours for me to reach him. He scrabbled for me with clawed fingers, shrieking and spitting. I grasped the  sword's hilt and pulled it free from where it was trapped in the fold of his legs, feeling it cut through more meat as I dragged it away. My face felt frozen. Caius lay behind Seneca, his screaming grandson clutched protectively in his left arm. The blood had ceased to pump from the wound in his neck. He was very still. I looked at his face, so pale, and time slowed down once more as I flexed my fingers around the hilt of the great sword. Then, ignoring the screams and sounds he was hurling at me, I raised Excalibur high above my head and swung it down with all my strength, striking Caesarius Claudius Seneca's head from his body. Plautus said "Good man!" in a blood-choked voice, and I heard the last crash from behind me. I did not need to look to know that he had fallen on his face, onto the hilt of the sword that protruded from his chest."

A bit long, but you get the point. His friends dead around him, a sword in his chest, and his priceless last words. That's how I want to go. With honour. Not lying in a bed somewhere, old and tired.

Folthrik said:
Can we have pictures of troops please?

well naturally - and feel free to take pictures of troops you happen to get your hand on - even bandits etc - contribute with picture, what you think of them, how you use them etc etc etc etc  :wink:

I would think the thread would grow faster with info if all contribute - if needed the collected pictures and info can always be added to Dudro's post (post #2) under the troop threes....with credits naturally :smile:

If I am to run around the lands and get my hands on every troop and make him say "cheeese!" ill be forced to spend a lot of time on it  - as it is now ill just take pictures when I happen to get a troop that isnt here - you all do the same okay?  :smile:

Don Doggy said:
Rian Ó Fearghail said:
How come they are called Eirish rather than Irish? Ive never seen that before.  :?:
Just curious :smile:

Because they live in Eire?  That's what it was called by locals.  To Romans it was Hibernia, but that's an ugly name.

ahah I know that, I am irish :razz:
I can see where eirish comes from now though.

My irish is terrible so I cant really confirm or correct it :razz:

Hi.

Been playing this mod for a couple fo days and I find it quite nice and entertaining.
A few things about the names though.

Roman troops need not be in Latin, as the other nations' troops aren't either. You know...Picts, Saxons, Irish would have their own names for troops as well, so for consistency and easier understanding it would be better to have Roman troops in English as well. Also helps prevent guesswork when upgrading troops if you're not hyper-well-versed in Roman military history. The way Romano-British are set up would work fine for Romans too.

Also...there is a "mercenary sniper" troop. Sniper is a word first used in 18th an 19th centuries (a hunter who could shoot a tricky snipe, a bird, would be a sniper). "Master", "Expert" or "Elite" would be better for a top tier missile troop.

Just my €0.05

Thanks!
Maybe I'll update the thread to show which units are mounted and whatnot, because there's no way I'm changing the names of the Roman troops.  And I thought the term "legionary" was Latin.  I'll also take into account the sniper thing.  It's very interesting.

I bet the spelling of legionary is slightly different in Latin.  We've probably adapted it a bit.

legere->legio->legion->legionary
All latin. in fact, we rarely "adapt" latin, and a large amount of our words are "ported" directly from Latin and to a lesser extent, Greek.
For example, Archer is a very latin word. Arcus = bow, --->Arcarius, still late latin, ---> archier = Old french,  to Middle English Archer. changed very little, considering Arcus is actually just the name for a bow. the real start of the morphing was at Arcarius, from which Archer sounds not so different.

Just started playing this mod. Great mod so far. I just read the first two books, that is all the libraries around here have to offer. (in Dutch, could try English) I was very surprised to find a mod based on those books.

To the point:
I'd really like to see a short description of the different armies. For example:
Western Roman Empire: Strongest infantry, good archers and weak cavalry.

Its really nice to have a little overview on which you can base your faction choice. It can take a while before you find it out yourself.

Back
Top Bottom