AlphaDelta's Viking developing corner

Users who are viewing this thread

AlphaDelta

Banned
Hi,

Lord and realms is a great mod. I'm enjoying it greatly but I noticed there are some funny texture errors here and there.

For example the war axe and war hammer are strangely blue. Also the templar and teutonic shields have red and black crosses on yellowy-white backgrounds where they should be white. I fixed both of these textures problems and I was just curious if you want  them sent to you?

If anyone else has noticed some texture errors like that I'd be happy to take a look but I dont know what your policy is on all this.

Cheers

AlphaDelta said:
Hi,

Lord and realms is a great mod. I'm enjoying it greatly but I noticed there are some funny texture errors here and there.

For example the war axe and war hammer are strangely blue. Also the templar and teutonic shields have red and black crosses on yellowy-white backgrounds where they should be white. I fixed both of these textures problems and I was just curious if you want  them sent to you?

If anyone else has noticed some texture errors like that I'd be happy to take a look but I dont know what your policy is on all this.

Cheers

Are you the famous AlphaDelta from Total war forums? The Englishman from Plymouth? FCoC author? Broken Crescent skinner, modeler, moder, etc., is it you?

It must be you. You use cheers as the last word in your posts always.

AlphaDelta said:
Plymouth  :evil: Portsmouth! But yeah the rest is about right.  :lol:

WOW! I am a great fan! I kinda switched to M&B lately but your work is awesome! BC is one of the best mods out there and FCoC is great. Small but a gem! BC 1.5 is coming out for ages since you left. But Stainless Steel is my favorite (worked as help for King Kong on 6.0 release, mainly beta-testing  :grin: ) and there is a new gem. Third Age came out and it's definitely the most complete mod out there and it looks stunning. I saw it last night and still can't belief it's free.

Sorry about the city. P-mouth I got right!  :cool:

I remember that I read somewhere on FCoC forum that you are planing to make a M&B mod.

Well I would be honored if you would help Lords and Realms since its basically me and eventual help by fans.

I have also got a bit bored of the Total war series.  BC was a crazy project. I nearly ruined my life on that project. :p FKoC was a much easier and more interesting project. I got to do everything on that one. Thanks for the heads up about TA:TW. Its not really my thing but they put a lot of work into it and it deserves to be tried out.

I've been playing M&B for atleast a year. It seems to bring me back every few months. Though I wonder if my interest will remain now that the beta period is over and updates are less frequent. :cry:

My first mini M&B/L&R project that I'd like to work on is the nordic shields. I don't mean offense to whoever made them, but they're really ugly. They are generally too thick plus Vikings had wonderful colourful shields in all maner of patterns. I'd love to make maybe 10 or 12 different viking shields. It would be a lot more interesting to see the nords carry a wide variety of shield patterns than having every man carrying the same shield.

After that perhaps move onto islamic shields for the vaegirs.

Let me know what you think about this idea.

Cheers

AlphaDelta said:
I have also got a bit bored of the Total war series.  BC was a crazy project. I nearly ruined my life on that project. :p FKoC was a much easier and more interesting project. I got to do everything on that one. Thanks for the heads up about TA:TW. Its not really my thing but they put a lot of work into it and it deserves to be tried out.

I've been playing M&B for atleast a year. It seems to bring me back every few months. Though I wonder if my interest will remain now that the beta period is over and updates are less frequent. :cry:

My first mini M&B/L&R project that I'd like to work on is the nordic shields. I don't mean offense to whoever made them, but they're really ugly. They are generally too thick plus Vikings had wonderful colourful shields in all maner of patterns. I'd love to make maybe 10 or 12 different viking shields. It would be a lot more interesting to see the nords carry a wide variety of shield patterns than having every man carrying the same shield.

After that perhaps move onto islamic shields for the vaegirs.

Let me know what you think about this idea.

Cheers

SOLD!  :grin:

But be warned a small number of my Nords have shields.

Vikings my Favorite Units, like the Insane Viking Berserker. But I must say in reality Vikings dont have Horned Helms, but I like the Helms.^^
Some cool dan different Viking shields is a good Idea. But I hope they have Player Heraldrics on there Shields.^^

Vaelius Noctu said:
But I must say in reality Vikings dont have Horned Helms, but I like the Helms.^^

And what do you say to this?!?  :twisted:

Wikinger-hat-Besuch.jpg

Essentially I want to make the viking shield mesh a bit thinner. Could you do that? At the moment the wood looks very thick, almost floor board thick. It should be more like 1 - 1.5 inches thick.

If I sent you a 1024x1024 texture file with about 10 shield skins could you do the rest? I dont really know the M&B file system.

Cheers

AlphaDelta said:
Essentially I want to make the viking shield mesh a bit thinner. Could you do that? At the moment the wood looks very thick, almost floor board thick. It should be more like 1 - 1.5 inches thick.

If I sent you a 1024x1024 texture file with about 10 shield skins could you do the rest? I don't really know the M&B file system.

Cheers

Hmm... You have to make me a brf file. You can find them in the mod resource. After that I can import it in the items file and later distribute it to the units. But you have to make the bfr file. You have to learn a bit about the mesh files in M&B. But is easy and a great moder like you in about 1 hour will figure everything out.

You have Bfr editor that allows you to import and make meshes. Take a look in the forge. http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,8771.0.html

And about the shields. I am not sure how thick they should be. I am not to conviced that they should be thin. Anybody knows how thick were viking shields? AD do you got maybe some viking photos? Like reconstructions from history manuals?  :???:

These are pretty good examples of how thin viking shields were.

shield_wall_big.jpg

Vikings_-_Shield_Wall_72dpi.jpg

viking_shield_wall_big.jpg

Also note how many use swords! All of them. Also I think that very few nordic warriors would have gone to battle without a shield. Even those that used 2 handed axes still carried shields. Their strength was always in the shield wall. No shield no wall. Plus very few vikings went to battle wearing armour so a shield was their main protection.

This is the round shield in-game. I'd say it's about 2 - 3 times as thick as the shields the reenactors carry. And the edge has a curved surface whereas it should be flat.

m_and_b_round_shield_01.jpg

With the brown edges and the fatness of it all, it looks more like a donut than a viking shield.  :razz:

I installed the BRF editor and I'll have a play with it.

Cheers

I agree, the in game shields are a bit too thick.

The reason you could use a thinner shield is because it was reinforced with a leather covering. This simple technology increased the ability of the shield to more evenly absorb blows, as opposed to a bare wooden shield. The leather essentially transfers energy throughout the whole mass more evenly, dispersing it more effectively.

Nick which BRF contains that round shield I showed?

Once I find that BRF what should I do, something like?

Copy the file and call it ad_viking_shields.brf
Delete out all meshes and materials except the one i want.
Fix that mesh to how I want it (can mesh editing be done in BRF?)
Clone that mesh 10 times.
Add in my 10 materials.

Let me know :smile:

AlphaDelta said:
Nick which BRF contains that round shield I showed?

Once I find that BRF what should I do, something like?

Copy the file and call it ad_viking_shields.brf
Delete out all meshes and materials except the one i want.
Fix that mesh to how I want it (can mesh editing be done in BRF?)
Clone that mesh 10 times.
Add in my 10 materials.

Let me know :smile:

F:\Games\Mount&Blade\CommonRes\Shields

So its a native bfr file. I just found some nice shields there. And I think more or less you got the system right!  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom