SP Tutorial Module System Adding new items to m&b using Wings 3d (now with pictures!)

Users who are viewing this thread

i dont believe this is outdated, because i just used it to add a new weapon. i finally realized how to texture (to a poor degree, i used images in some) and i added my katana into the game fully textured!

here's a shot of it ingame, notice the several ****ups along the blade :lol:

KatanaInGame1.jpg

a first person view of it. i dont know how to make a piece of the texture transparent, so it's a white hole in the tsuba

KatanaInGame2.jpg

dont let this die!

TheDrunkenMoron said:
i dont believe this is outdated

It's outdated because it instructs you to clobber some common files which will cause conflicts between mods. But most of the information here is still worth learning, just don't release your mod without reading Janus' tutorial first.

Nice katana!

Hmmmm...don't know what I did wrong...but I followed the tut and its all good, export the new mesh/texture to a .obj file, load up the BRF viewer, selec tthe brf and then click import, click my new .obj and it crashes the app.......

any ideas??

Yoshiboy said:
add the line.

Code:
load_module_resource = my_new_weapons.brf

(obviously replacing "my_new_weapons" with the name of whatever your meshes BRF was called)
Shouldn't have ".brf" there, right? :razz:

Ok th doesn't work for me...
I've copied all the files, download all the programs...
I used the vanilla bastard sword as a model, I made a sword then with wings3d (the latest).
Proud of myself.
Then deleted the bastard sword model (should I ?)
Then I colored the handle and the blade with the function "right click"-Material and chose the colors I want.
Then I use the editor, exporting my sword like explained.
And it crashed.

Then I read I had to do some UV mapping.
I read and understand a bit on how to do this. I chose the parts of my swords then "Right click'-UV mapping-direct- chose a color 'auvchart 1 then select select half the edges then 'mark edges for cut' and finally continue unfold.
It crashed. Don't understant why. It worked for the guard, but not for the blade or the handle.
Is the UV mapping essential ?Maybe i didn't chose the right edges, but I tried many times..
Can't I just texture with the Material menu ?

luigi said:
Ok th doesn't work for me...
I've copied all the files, download all the programs...
I used the vanilla bastard sword as a model, I made a sword then with wings3d (the latest).
Proud of myself.
Then deleted the bastard sword model (should I ?)
Then I colored the handle and the blade with the function "right click"-Material and chose the colors I want.
Then I use the editor, exporting my sword like explained.
And it crashed.

Then I read I had to do some UV mapping.
I read and understand a bit on how to do this. I chose the parts of my swords then "Right click'-UV mapping-direct- chose a color 'auvchart 1 then select select half the edges then 'mark edges for cut' and finally continue unfold.
It crashed. Don't understant why. It worked for the guard, but not for the blade or the handle.
Is the UV mapping essential ?Maybe i didn't chose the right edges, but I tried many times..
Can't I just texture with the Material menu ?

the whole thing has to be UVW mapped, no you cant just texture using the material because the materials in M&B are different to the ones used in wings.

Thanks !

i'll try to figure out why I cant Unfold, maybe a bad choice of edges..
How can i show you a screenshots of my work ?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e107/luigixi/twohanded.jpg

Ok I made this 2 handed sword.

I can't export it in the viewer, it crashed every time.

I really don't understand why, I've done everything the tutorial said....

Here is an other look

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e107/luigixi/twohanded2.jpg

have you unwrapped the whole thing? Go to object mode (the fully coloured in pyramid at the top) then select it. Right click and go UV mapping. Just make sure the whole thing is unwrapped.

If it still crashes, use the "cleanup" command on it and look closely for any areas in the mesh that could have problems.

Yoshi, if i wanted to texture a weapon using the textures which are already in the dds file... would i need to use simpsons tex ed? or would i need to just uv map it? (getting a weapon into the game didnt work for me either, i think it was the texture editor but im not sure :???:

Yoshiboy said:
have you unwrapped the whole thing? Go to object mode (the fully coloured in pyramid at the top) then select it. Right click and go UV mapping. Just make sure the whole thing is unwrapped.

If it still crashes, use the "cleanup" command on it and look closely for any areas in the mesh that could have problems.

I know, it crashed when I unwrapp the whole thing but when I do the parts one by one, it works...
I used the cleanup here is what it gave me

from that
image3.jpg

with the cleanup I have that
cleanup.jpg

When it's cleaned it unwrapps well, so I'll try to find what I did wrong.

If you have some other trick , please tell them
that is really appreciated Yoshi :grin:

Ok I manage to unfold it right! I see it in the editor and now I'm doing the material...

Doesn't work for the material .... :?: :?: :?:

I made my backups, copied over "materials.brf" and made a copy called "materials2.brf" then opend Lurb's and the name of my material appears. "Set"
and then the message says "Unknown material: No such file or directory
material changed

what the f... It seems I don,t have any material. :twisted:

I you have time to help...

Kastor, no, you dont need to make a new material or texture referance, simply import it into a .BRF then set the material to the same material that referances to the native texture you want to use.

Luigi, cleanup simply removes any verts that are right on top of each other and merges them into one. This is a pretty common problem with unclean meshes and you can often get it after beveling. just ignore that error. It doesnt matter, as long as you save and then put the native material file back in place it should work. I'll add that to the main page.

Ok I'm close to giving up .....

My problem resides in the material, it seems it can't refer to the texture I made

I think I made my texture right but when loading my module i get this error :
line 416
*mesh-<material

I used your tutorial Yoshiboy, it's great but I am not sure I understand well the last step using the texture and material editor
In all the "name boxes", do I have to write the name of my dds texture ?
And when I "save as", do I have to use the same name but without the dds extension ?
:???:

Back
Top Bottom