Valkyrie Mode Modlet - Repository Download

Users who are viewing this thread

silverkatana

Sergeant at Arms
About
This is a previously unreleased "option" I originally made for release with Dionisia/DMod.  Due to some issues (listed below) I didn't release it until now, but two things changed my mind.  One, it contains code that some-apparent-douche-who-shall-remain-nameless is holding over people's heads like it's something special.  Two, it might provide an alternative to the "BF 1942 with Swords" model for a multiplayer M+B that I've seen get tossed around.

Features
This Modlet allows you to leave your body at will and then choose any other person on the battlefield (including enemy soldiers) to take control of.  The only restriction is that you will only be able to issue team commands if you are currently occupying the body of a "hero".  Thus if you're fighting bandits you won't be able to issue enemy team commands, but if you're fighting King Yaroglek you will be able to seize control of his body and tell his troops to run in circles (if you so desire.)

Known Issues
  • The reason I didn't include this in Dionisia/DMod is because casualty detection (i.e. who gets wounded and who dies when you return to the world map) was becoming ridiculously convoluted to seamlessly implement with Valkyrie Mode.  This hasn't been fixed, so don't be shocked if your battle casualties aren't mirrored by the parties on the world map.
  • The only mission template to have Valkyrie Mode integrated is lead_charge, so this modlet only changes basic battles, not sieges and the like.
  • Changing heraldry and team indicators (that text telling you who your friends are) isn't integrated into this modlet, so things aren't as pretty as they could be.

How to Use
Start a new game, camp, then select "Adjust DMod Options".  Ignore everything but the Valkyrie Mode pulldown, turn Valkyrie Mode on, then close.  If you want to play a "test" battle, camp again and that option will be available.  Once you start a standard map battle, press "H" to bring up the command list.  Enjoy.

Source
The source code is included in the download (look in the module directory for a "Source" folder.)  Feel free to use it however you want to.  Credit me, don't credit me, whatever - just don't be a douche.

Download Modlet
Repository Link:
http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1173

Other Thoughts
As mentioned in the "About" section, I think this would make a fun multiplayer model.  Start a battle with two (or more) armies, then allow the players to select whatever soldiers/avatars they wish.  When you die, there's no ridiculous "spawning", you just choose from whatever AI soldiers are left standing and jump back into the fight.  Whatever army wins, wins - no arbitrary control points, victory counters, or other associated nonsense.

I assume this has nothing to do with the movie of the same name? Cus I don't wan't 2 fingured scientologist nazi's anywhere near me. Ever.

I chose the name because in principle you're jumping around the battlefield choosing who you're going to die as next.  That's obviously not quite what a valkyrie is, but it's close enough for me. 

hey mate, thanks for sharing the source. Some nice work there!

[edit]

never mind my question.. I am an idiot :wink:

silverkatana said:
... it contains code that some-apparent-douche-who-shall-remain-nameless is holding over people's heads like it's something special. 
Best reason ever  :smile:

So you can actually go berserk and take wild chances, only to jump to another body when 'it' dies. Wicked.

EDIT: Freakin' hell, it works  :shock:
I suppose a better name would be Avatarana (= avatar) - the incarnation of a god in human form.
'Ava' actually means 'down/descent', which is what happens in this mod: when you leave a body you rise and then descent into a new one
But what the hell, Valkyrie is also cool  :smile:

Nicely done silverkatana! Very nice! I was trying out something similar a while ago, but not nearly as nicely implemented as you did it.

Can you please tell me which file has the relevant code? I didn't find it in mission templates (no trigger on pressing 'h' for example?), probably because you did it through presentations?
And I guess its easy to limit the choices to only troops on the player's team?

Adorno said:
I suppose a better name would be Avatarana (= avatar) - the incarnation of a god in human form.

I suppose, but with my Eurocentric education Norse mythology comes more quickly to mind than Hindu - especially when slashing people with swords is involved.

Chel said:
Can you please tell me which file has the relevant code? .... And I guess its easy to limit the choices to only troops on the player's team?

Most of the meat is in scripts, some of which are called by the variables at the top of mission_templates.  The "dmod_lead_charge_v" mission tempate should get you the rest; nothing is in presentations.  It *should* be fairly straightforward to integrate this into mission templates other than lead_charge (i.e. dmod_lead_charge_v), the hardest part would be making sure that reinforcements and special victory conditions/outcomes are handled appropriately.  You'd still have the messed up casualty detection, though. 

Limiting the choices to the player's team would be trivial; there are already lots of "is agent alive", "is agent a horse", and "is agent a pedophile" type checks so adding another would be simple.

Does anyone at least how this mod's name is :?:The one with the cool attack moves :?:Since i played roots of ygdrassil i want it :neutral:

Back
Top Bottom