King of Dragon Pass

Users who are viewing this thread

Aelfric

Veteran
Recently discovered this immersive game. Let's just call it KoDP for short.

It is some sort of a simulation where you have to lead your clan and in the process, you will eventually become a king (of all the clans). You will be presented with various circumstances and asked to make a decision. Any decisions you make will have consequences. The ring (a group of seven advisors) will provide suggestions and information needed to make the decisions. There are a number of gods and deities to pray to and each of them gives different bonus to your clan.

This game has the element of diplomacy, resource management, trading, and war. Amazing replay value. Highly recommended.  :wink:

Linky: http://a-sharp.com/kodp/

Anyone else plays or played it? An ARR would be cool, but it wouldn't be by me as I'm already struggling to cope with my study and work (and playing).

Was playing it earlier today. I have fond memories about the game during my childhood and rediscovered the disc over spring break.

It is much too complex for a child, I cannot even imagine how I played it when I was young.

Happy to know I'm not alone!  :grin:

I haven't been able to win the game, though. I'm still in the phase of playing it with trial-and-error, so often something could go wrong after a series of succesful years. Has anoyne beaten it?

In my last playthrough, I was playing a war-mongering clan. Every year, we did 3-4 raids and all the raided clans eventually offered to pay tributes because they just couldn't defend against my raids. The clan survived from the cows we got from our raids and these tributes. We had more cows than we ever needed. No other clans could break into our border, thanks to our fierce warriors and solid fortification. Happy time it was.

One day, due to our fame, a newcomer clan coming to seek a place in Dragon Pass accepted our offer to consolidate both clans. Our population was double instantly and our herds weren't enough to support all of us. We had not anticipated such boost in population. We had very little yield from farming because the land was dedicated mostly for herding. But getting more herds required more land and land didn't come easily. At the end, our people started dying from starvation and the clan was no more.

In my last game I gaind the land of two other clans (three actually, but I think I gave 1 land away when my tribe grew too large). My poblem is that I want to build as many buildings as i can, but you really can't.

Define "beat". Can I achieve getting crowned and holding it for the requisite time? Yes, quite easily. Can I do it while achieving all the other goals such as defeating your ancestral enemies? Nope :lol:

Aelfric said:
One day, due to our fame, a newcomer clan coming to seek a place in Dragon Pass accepted our offer to consolidate both clans. Our population was double instantly and our herds weren't enough to support all of us.

Spirit journeys are the key. Not only is there one which would have boosted your food supply, but there's a few artefacts which could help that you can obtain by questing. Or you could have always traded / stole from the opposition.

Archonsod said:
Define "beat". Can I achieve getting crowned and holding it for the requisite time? Yes, quite easily. Can I do it while achieving all the other goals such as defeating your ancestral enemies? Nope :lol:

There is about two years since I last played it, so I don't remember details too well.

I remember my leader marrying the queen of that people who had the Mother Earth as its primary deity and the game ending, not much besides it. There was a great war in the end, though, that was won by a boy who grew in my village and became a great hero. 

Man, I have to play it again.

I think 'beat' for this game is rather relative. I like to think that, as the game is more or less an interactive, ridiculously branching story, you can have more than one ending. Many of which are not 'good'.

Or is there a definite 'I win' to the game? Never made it all that far to know.

http://martinaquino.wordpress.com/the-king-of-dragon-pass-myth-guide/

Walkthroughs for some of the myth quests. Spoilers inside.

I found the myths really hard, even if I got information about them, I guess I should make notes but my desk is cluttered enough as it is.

Been one of my all-time favourites since 2000, I've been advertising it occasionally here and in the IRC channel for a couple years now. :smile:

I think I've gone all the way on the long game maybe half a dozen times.

Shame it's so hard to get your hands on legally these days.

Archonsod said:

I would define beating the game as finishing the long game. Seems pretty obvious. Of course, you can add extra challenges and vary your play style as you see fit.

I reckon I can answer most questions, if anyone has any.

Bought it as soon as it came out, have been coming back to it around once a year since then. I know there are still tons of stuff I haven't seen. Pure awesome

Started playing again, i formed my tribe, I've done three hero quests perfectly, always put lots of points into diplomacy, and just got rid of bandits through sacrifice and yet the other clans refuse to accept anything except my queen's resignation (even though I send them gifts every couple of years). No matter what, it always comes down to this even if she is doing really really awesomely well!

Never heard of it, but it sounds like fun. It's probably impossible to get around here though. :/  (their site may be a bit outdated. It costs 20 USD and downloading 500 MB isn't ok? wow.)

They really should put it up on Good Old Games, the game is ten years old, $9.99 would be a perfect price (not that it isn't worth the $19.99, because it is, but GoG only goes to $9.99 or $5.99). Hmm maybe sending them an e-mail suggesting it would be a good idea.

EDIT: Aww :/ the game only has 97 votes on GoG :sad:

http://www.gog.com/en/wanted/

okiN said:
Been one of my all-time favourites since 2000, I've been advertising it occasionally here and in the IRC channel for a couple years now. :smile:

I think I've gone all the way on the long game maybe half a dozen times.

Shame it's so hard to get your hands on legally these days.

Archonsod said:

I would define beating the game as finishing the long game. Seems pretty obvious. Of course, you can add extra challenges and vary your play style as you see fit.

I reckon I can answer most questions, if anyone has any.

Could you name some of the epic things happening to you?

Back
Top Bottom