[VOTING CLOSED] Abilities - Enrage, Sprint, Focus. Decision: FOR.

Should Abilities Appear in game? Will it still be realitic and enjoyable?

• No, keep it simple, hack and slash!

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Yes, abilities add more content, and the drawbacks keep the balance

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Lonehwolf

Sergeant
Ok, I have decided to review whether adding abilities would make sense or not.  Hopefully you'll read this before voting in the poll first :p

Abilities and their rough bonus gain:
RAGE: Raging increases your damage output, your strength rises fairly high, your health increases momentarily, you're a total monster for those few seconds until it fades away.
Sprint: Your body becomes agile, you can move much faster than you could have possibly done before.  You feel like a deer, as agile as one.  The last thing you want is to let those scum touch you while you're running around, letting heads roll on the ground.
Focus: You're ready to gamble your surroundings to have the decisiveness of a hawk, pick your shots and down them.

Poll Meaning Explanation
While the abilities seem a total bonus no matter how you look at them, they're not... or shouldn't be.  This is what the poll is about.  Do you want them?  Want heavy "punishment" to using them?  Or rather just keep them as a superhuman ability that can be popped up occasionally and bang hard for that time?  Do they ruin the gameplay?

Drawbacks:

Rage [10-15 seconds duration].  Not totally useful while mounted unless you're surrounded.  When in rage, you're slightly slower, and once the rage fades, your health is chopped down to half what it was before you enraged.  (e.g. maximum health = 100, health before enraging is 40, after enraging the 40 hp you had goes down to 20.  Note:  A feature will be implemented that will let you heal.  If this poll goes through, self sustaining troops will be added in as well).
Sprint[15-20 seconds duration].  Agile but weak, blunt weapons, sharp weapons, projectiles, you don't want to touch those.
Focus[25-30 seconds duration].  As slow as a snail, but as deadly as a hawk.  Pin-point accuracy means moving too much loses your focus, your characters enters a trans which considers 2 things:  His weapon, and his target.

These would be coded in for you guys, so come in, see what you'd like the most and pop your vote.  You can change your vote however you see fit ^^

You will quite like how you can 1 swing/thrust/shoot rape **** all, and once enrage fades away stop, use First Aid (another feature I'll be putting up a poll about soon) and heal ur arse back to full, and rush in like a mad man once again with 1/4th of their troops chopped clean because you enraged ;D

So you'll lose your rage when the battle ends? And you can do it again in the next part of it?

Most Mongol archers of the day had the ability to hold 4,5,or 6 arrows with their bow hand and quickly be able to launch them downrange without going to their quiver.  The downside would be when they did go to their quiver it would prob take a little longer to get all 6 arrows instead of just 1.  Just wondering if something like this could be included as an ability?? The abilities you mentioned sound pretty cool, im just worried about realism.  So far it doesnt sound like it will affect the realism.  If you become slower---you can aim better...if you get away from a fight ---you could bandage your wounds...etc.

All abilities created 'will' contain simularities based around realism.  For instance, if you're enraged the drawback will result in fatigue, weariness or maybe even loss of standard health.  I'd rather prefer a negative effect though, for instance, you enrage for 10 seconds and then you're slightly weaker for 5.  It adds in a more realistic theme then magically losing health.

All abilities will have drawbacks, otherwise we're entering the fictional rp setting of abilities which isn't what I had in mind.  Even if it's won by popular vote, no drawbacks mean no thinking involved, abilities should help you in difficult spots, not make you rape the **** out of enemies just because a button allows you to.  Everything has a flaw, or a drawback.  They wil lbe in Mongol regardless.

The vote for all i'm concerned determines whether we even have them or not.  A simple hack n slash is fun, but the abilities are based on realism and therefore conclude a hacknslash enviroment.  MANY hack n slash games add abilities, so again - that doesn't effect that sort of game-play.

PrettyNipples said:
Most Mongol archers of the day had the ability to hold 4,5,or 6 arrows with their bow hand and quickly be able to launch them downrange without going to their quiver.  The downside would be when they did go to their quiver it would prob take a little longer to get all 6 arrows instead of just 1.  Just wondering if something like this could be included as an ability?? The abilities you mentioned sound pretty cool, im just worried about realism.  So far it doesnt sound like it will affect the realism.  If you become slower---you can aim better...if you get away from a fight ---you could bandage your wounds...etc.

Which is the whole idea about abilities.  Sprint: RUN, Focus: AIM, Rage: RAMPAGE.

Basically the arrow idea is "shoot 6 in quick succession with about 1/4th of the normal downtime, and make them getting back 6 arrows take twice longer?  Makes sense.

Regarding "rage" it's actually a true effect you achieve during a fight.  I experienced this first hand in karate, your heartbeat goes faster, your pain diminishes, and you can go into hulk state for like 4 seconds, at which point you go back to your senses, the pain rushes back, your heart can be felt beating as though it's trying to get outta your chest, and you keep thinking "I should stop, catch my breath and let this heartbeat calm down"  So what I was planning on doing was add sounds to each ability a

"Muscle straining" kinda sound when sprinting.
"Noise that fades away" when focusing.
"Heartbeat that increases and a deafening sounds that starts high and goes low" while raging.

"Loud breathing" when sprinting fades.
"Noise that increases" when losing focus.
"Deafening heartbeat sound, as though it's gonna pop outta your chest and a painful sound" when letting go of rage and losing half of the hp you had before raging.

Note: Half hp doesn't mean half the maximum hp, but half of what you had before you raged.  If your maximum is 100, and you had 40 hp at that point when you raged, after raging your health will be halfed, that is down to 20 hp, not an instant kill.  You can't die from using abilities, dying WHILE using abilities is possible though.

Wei.Xiadi said:
All abilities created 'will' contain simularities based around realism.  For instance, if you're enraged the drawback will result in fatigue, weariness or maybe even loss of standard health.  I'd rather prefer a negative effect though, for instance, you enrage for 10 seconds and then you're slightly weaker for 5.  It adds in a more realistic theme then magically losing health.

All abilities will have drawbacks, otherwise we're entering the fictional rp setting of abilities which isn't what I had in mind.  Even if it's won by popular vote, no drawbacks mean no thinking involved, abilities should help you in difficult spots, not make you rape the **** out of enemies just because a button allows you to.  Everything has a flaw, or a drawback.  They wil lbe in Mongol regardless.

The vote for all i'm concerned determines whether we even have them or not.  A simple hack n slash is fun, but the abilities are based on realism and therefore conclude a hacknslash enviroment.  MANY hack n slash games add abilities, so again - that doesn't effect that sort of game-play.

I'm a wolf.  A cunning sonufa*****, you really thought them ticking "no drawbacks please" will let them click and rape happily?  HAH.. hahah.. heheh... huahahahahahahaha

THINK AGAIN, *****!

Nah, seriously, they're playing it, they get to choose what they want.  I'm not dumb, I know there are people that don't want to play a game that's impossible to beat, the drawbacks won't be so harsh that abilities are more like suicidal techniques.  It's all about "skills" like WOW has or GW, or WAR, or AoC if you know what I mean.  But this time they're realistic, and you don't have 666 options, just 3, and maybe a bit more later on, but that's only if I find it do-able without ****ing up mongol.

Those sounds would be awesome..but how'd we even get the sounds.  We dont have a sound artist. :sad:

Wei.Xiadi said:
Those sounds would be awesome..but how'd we even get the sounds.  We dont have a sound artist. :sad:

I believe we have ChengYi?  If not that's gotta be put off for a bit :sad:  Pity, sounds would put it on a whole new level :sad:

Cheng sent me some music files of him throat singing which we'll be using for Epsilon, which is pretty awesome.

Also this poll needs to come to a conclusion soon, we need more votes or we just need to summarise and get on with the implemention.

Back
Top Bottom