Do you want firearms in the BoW files, or in the BoWx files?

Do you want firearms in the BoW files, or in the BoWx files?

• Firearms for BoW and BoWx

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Firearms for BoWx only

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Who cares, get it done already!!

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

My vote: Don't make 2 mods, just lump it all together and call it BoW. Easier to manage.

Everything can be made optional with enough scripting.

Guns can be made optional with a moderate amount of extra work, which may or may not be justifiable at this point.

Personally, I'd just go with whatever, just choose either put it in BoW or not at all, and run with that.

BoWX is NCrawler's mod before I made him in charge of BoW, so now that he's gone I see absolutely no reason to continue developing it.

I voted for "BoWX only", but that was before I thought about what you just said. The main reason is that there are many people on both side (pro/con gunpowder weapons), so keeping it an option is the way to go. If it's an acceptable work to make it optional whithin one mod, thats even better, since you can just get both with one download. Some kind of switch at the start of a new game, which asks "BoW or BoWX mode?" (maybe with a few headwords what BoWX features are not present in BoW mode). Or for more detail one switch for each major feature.
You are absolutely right that managing would be much easier, and although I don't know the code details, I'm pretty sure much "managing work" could be done by just checking a flag. Well, that might work if the features are encapsulated good enough. So I guess it's still the decision of the one who would have to do the work. At this point it's "more work now" vs. "more work over time", I guess.

one mod ... Everybody loves EI
firearms i do not use (too low accuracy). As long as i can have one kill shots with bows, i do not need firearms...
so... i do not mind the Pirates having them...

Guns, guns, guns, I don't care much for them in the mods and I rarely play as a gun toting soldier.

fisheye said:
Everything can be made optional with enough scripting.

Guns can be made optional with a moderate amount of extra work, which may or may not be justifiable at this point.

Personally, I'd just go with whatever, just choose either put it in BoW or not at all, and run with that.

BoWX is NCrawler's mod before I made him in charge of BoW, so now that he's gone I see absolutely no reason to continue developing it.

All true

I voted for putting them in BoWx and then a vote for not continuing BoWx.

I think firearms is a excellent thing to have, I only use them on close range anyway as a one-shot-one-kill supplement for my sword.

Meh. I say just work on the core scripting features. I prefer seeing new features, rather than a reskin of native. Some new items are nice, but I don't think you should go out of your way to recreate BoWX. But that's just me.

No Guns. Let us use the blades of battle!  I think using Guns would detract from the essence of the game. that's just my opinion though.

Well, there is no point in keeping "BoW" and "BoWX".
For the last year or however long, NCrawler and Gilrain were the people running "the BoW franchise". BoW was dumped... BoWX was the thing being worked on... it had new items, new factions, new scenes, new mechanics, new everything....
Take the BoWX code, work on that, and make guns optional.

Little bump.  Well, okay, big bump.

Just speaking personally here that I love the guns and I think they add a lot to the uniqueness of this mod.  Where else can you find a mishmash of age of sail weaponry and medieval swordplay that actually doesn't break internal consistency?  BoWEx.

I agree that BoWEx doesn't need to be continued if its changes have been merged into the core, but I do think the guns need to be optional -- whether as a plug-in or as a character creation option.

For those who don't like guns, try them out in M&B .903 and BoWEx before you knock them.  It's great fun playing as a musketeer, particularly a landborne musketeer.  Hit or miss, live or die: you're playing dice with death.  You hear guns go off right and left and you're always waiting for the moment that one of them has your name on it.

Back
Top Bottom