NO HORSES FOR SCOTLAND!

Users who are viewing this thread

seems like you haven t seen Braveheart... ok. I have no real prove now. But the first thing that I noticed about the mod that SCOTLAND has mounted knights and heavyliy armoured soldiers... Of course not. And horses very few. They always feared the heavy, mounted English knights also the Irish did, I guess. Because they were also no high tech warriors like the English. Also only tribes. And Clans.

And so I also came to the conviction that these factions are really overpowered. But they were many more than the less English knights.

The rising of England was a huge impact on great Britain. Up there were only Tribes and "Barbarians". And the Saxons were defeated. Even Julius Ceasar wasn t really interested in that land ...

I know, but I can't have them horseless. Maybe Turning them into light cavalry troops and making one cavalry unit would be better!  :razz:

typical ignorance. ceaser was interested in scotland for our resources. but we beat them. we even wiped out one of the best roman legions. that's why they retreated and built hadrians wall. also braveheart is a bunch  of crap. they changed alot of what happened to make the movie better.

Dimos said:
I know, but I can't have them horseless. Maybe Turning them into light cavalry troops and making one cavalry unit would be better!  :razz:

yes. Light cavalery sounds possible for the Lords´ guard.  But I would make balance with just giving the Scottish and Irish more towns that they have much more soldiers and put down their equipment emensely. Or make the English less ...

"
typical ignorance. ceaser was interested in scotland for our resources. but we beat them. we even wiped out one of the best roman legions. that's why they retreated and built hadrians wall. also braveheart is a bunch  of crap. they changed alot of what happened to make the movie better. "

well. ok  :mrgreen: What recources ?

Sure they did. it is just a movie. And that you get people into the cinema it must be good.

lol just pure greed? there land was bigger than ares and they had bigger army shouldnt of wasted resourses so quickly then :p

yeah but scotland has a lot of iron. they used to be the biggest shipbuilding country in the world. and we still had spare!!!

Ar you sure the Romans were not content with the already vast, or at least for this pre-industrial time, afaik, mineral resources of Roman Britain proper ?
Quoth wiki : " It is equally likely that the costs of a drawn-out war outweighed any economic or political benefit and it was more profitable to leave the Caledonians alone and only under de jure submission."
Though this is getting a bit far from the topic of Scottish horsemen in the XIth :p

yes i am sure. also it helps that there is records in the Vatacan (popes house... damn him) about the romans in scotland and getting pushed back and of a roman legion from spain -that was brought back from retirement to fight the scots because no-one else could handle it- going missing in the highlands. so there.

D1SC0 N1NJ4 said:
yes i am sure. also it helps that there is records in the Vatacan (popes house... damn him) about the romans in scotland and getting pushed back and of a roman legion from spain -that was brought back from retirement to fight the scots because no-one else could handle it- going missing in the highlands. so there.

IX hispania ?
Quoth wiki again:
"Disappearance

Although it is often said that the legion disappeared in 117,[3] there are extant records for the Ninth legion later than that year, and it was probably annihilated in the east of the Roman Empire. It was certainly in Nijmegen in 121 and was probably finally destroyed during the Bar Kochba Revolt in Palestine or in a conflict with the Parthian Empire in 161.[4]

Popular culture references

For a time it was believed, at least by some British historians, that the legion disappeared during its stay in Britain, presumably in conflict with the peoples of present-day Scotland. This idea was used in the novels The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff, Legion From the Shadows by Karl Edward Wagner, Red Shift by Alan Garner, Engine City by Ken MacLeod, Warriors of Alavna by N. M. Browne, and also in the movie The Last Legion.
"

Or are you refering to another unit ?

oh, I remember I even read this book. lol  :smile:  But never took it for historically.

But one thing is sure. Roman battle practise wasn t made for the highlands ...

What is even more interesting is that, if you listen properly, it didn't say that.

I have nothing against yanks but sometimes things like this annoy the hell out of me... These programs about warrior cultures that they seem to know so much about.

Of course England had horses!

Except their method of warfare had always been to ride to the battle, dismount, and then form a shieldwall a la Hastings.

Funnily enough the Normans didn't have 'horses' as we know them today either, both sides having rather 'pony like' mounts whose riders legs hung only a few feet off the floor at best.

McScottish said:
What is even more interesting is that, if you listen properly, it didn't say that.

I have nothing against yanks but sometimes things like this annoy the hell out of me... These programs about warrior cultures that they seem to know so much about.

Of course England had horses!

Except their method of warfare had always been to ride to the battle, dismount, and then form a shieldwall a la Hastings.

Funnily enough the Normans didn't have 'horses' as we know them today either, both sides having rather 'pony like' mounts whose riders legs hung only a few feet off the floor at best.

Normans had war horses

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=QbecyJTkqbU    (think this one)

Back
Top Bottom