NO HORSES FOR SCOTLAND!

Users who are viewing this thread

General Darius

Sergeant
i may be sick but reading a post made me remember that Medieval 2 total war is mainly based on fact

in it scotlands description is that they are strong in infantry but lack calavary

what i suggest is make so no horses for any any scotlanders except maybe special units (noblemen probally as only they could afford it) that rarely but can be hired from scotland castles or towns (ive seen similiar scripted in so i know its possible)

sorry scot lovers im taking away your horses now and shooting them to feed the people

*shoots them all and lets the peasants eat them*

the only units in the mod that have horses are the knights and horsemen.. .which if you play med 2 tw you would know they had.

Yeah, indeed true.

Keep posting...

And maybe I need to name ''Scottish horsemen'' to ''Scottish Scouts'' ?  :mrgreen:

General Darius said:
in medieval 2 total war a game based on mostly fact scotland gets very very very few horse troops

Medieval II is pretty historically flawed in places.  It's certainly not an accurate source of information.

But yeah, I think horses were fairly rare in the Scottish armies, particularly among the highland clans.

What do you suppose then? Reduce the mounted units per army and make knights almost un-availiable? Please make a poll for it, to see if ya gather support...  :lol:

Vanilla M2:TW is dubious on the history, at best. That's a known fact.

In 1080 any sort of cavalry at all was rare except if you were a Norman, the Scots and Irish using it mainly for raiding and the Welsh not really needing it but using it in a more scouting role. The concept of a 'knight' had not really even been conceived in peoples minds yet, knights being no more better than mounted infantry in this period.

I'm actually surprised to see so little Norman/English units within the mod, only a mere fourteen years after the battle of Hastings and the Anglo-Saxons defeat.

To the question at hand however...

Cavalry anywhere would be rare and it would not be cavalry as most people think. In Scotland specifically it was mainly Lowland noblemen that would keep a group of armed and armoured cavalrymen, the Highland way of life much more focused on infantry combat.

In conclusion, I'd make cavalry limited at best for all nations and more to reflect the period with the Normano-English having the greatest degree and probably the Welsh having the least.

i know its possible perhaps make it so calvary are a different troop tree and they are rarely ever availble and make them very rare in armies (maybe 1 per 40 soldiers)

With my -rather minor- knowledge in modding, I can tell you that I can make them that rare and I can make them a different troop tree, but that may make them in-availiable for the player...

Then imagine the scenery... An English Lord had captures 20 scotish cavalries defeating some scotish Lords...

A Scotish Lord Battled with that english Lord and he fried his countrymen and had infantry and 20 cavalries...

The player is -let's say- a Scotish rebel. He has no access to cavalry so he fights with that Lord

He will surelly loose the battle because his skills alone can't stand a cavalry chare by any means...

The you will make a topic saying -UNFAIR-

I wanna my game to be fair and accurate  :razz:

thats why they used spears and stakes probally and greatswords can be used for horse stopping too

and actually i have beaten pure calavary with few infantry by using spear or greatsword or greataxe

Is there any way, since I'm not a modder I don't know, that you can make spears/pikes/lochabers more effective against horses but not horsemen?

Get the man off the horse and he's just another man... Plus the spear was one, if not the, most commonly used weapon of this period.

hmm maybe medievial 2 does not have all the correct infomation but the settlements and castles etc are all historically correct from my knowldge im sure they wouldnt make them up for just selling purposes ..... The game is based on medevial history so they know they would be critasiced if they got it wrong... dunno but thats my point whats yours?.. lol

dunno but thats my point whats yours?

If you're talking to me, I didn't really have one. I'm just telling you about horses and their relative rarity of usage at the time.

The game is based on medevial history so they know they would be critasiced if they got it wrong

They didn't get it all wrong but, believe me, they are criticised for historical accuracy.

the settlements and castles etc are all historically correct from my knowldge

Yes but we were talking about horses and cavalry, not castles and settlements.

Yes i was just saying :p .. Scottish didnt have cavalry but were mainly strong with highlanders and heavy infantry and the odd archers cavalry they didnt have much of..

Back
Top Bottom