OSP Kit QoL Customize troops feature for your mod

Users who are viewing this thread

hmmm.  Maybe we need to look at this from another angle.

Usually when troops are upgraded, they gain new gear as well as new roles.  This also increases the cost per soldier.  I remember reading this is due to the cost of equipment and better pay for their skills.  But how would this all come about?

I was playing a few mods since things are alot better in game from v8.xx.  I beleive it was the Sord of Democals that has you create the proper "barracks" to be able to train your troops, and there is a black smith option, though I don't think it's in porper use yet (I have yet to get that far in the game).  I think the combination of the 2 can make this type of mod work.  Here's what I think:

1.  When in the field, your troops cannot upgrade.  They will (as usual) gain the ability to upgrade, but cannot be upgrade in the field.
2.  When you return to one your castles, if you have the required structures, you can start to upgrade your troops. 
3.  When you upgrade your troops you can then set the equipment they get.  This will increase the cost per troop per week.

The break down of why to do it this way?
Since you have a major holding (the castle) you can "contract" to the blacksmith to provide gear, and you pay him over time (increase in troop cost goes to him).  I guess you could leave out the training buildings, or make it so that the training buildings recruit x unit(s) per week, or have them add XP to troops while there each night.

I guess, just the blacksmith would be needed, but the point being, this would be a more realistic way of upgrading their gear.  Yes the major drawback would be that you would need to own a castle, but in reality, you couldn't afford the cost of those upgrades any other way either.  Maybe all castles/cities have a blacksmith.

Well, I've thought about this, too and these are the things I came up with...

The first variant should be fairly easy and I'll probably use it for my mod until I've got my better version somehow into code(pretty hard when you can't really code yourself). Instead of just paying them more, you actually have to pay when you upgrade them. That means when you, let's say upgrade a recruit to a militia, you pay 50-100 denars. A pretty fair amount for a bad crossbow or a spear, a shield and maybe cheap armor. The rest is paid over the wages and the soldier has to pay something, too. Additionally, we can assume that you might gain some armor after battles.. That means of course that you will actually need *gasp* 4000-8000 denars if you want to have an army of 80 militia. But after thinking about it it seems quite fair.
I don't have any prices in mind and I think it had to be tested to get better prices. It can all be changed, though, so this shouldn't be a really huge problem.
Like I said, a very easy way.
The other variant is that each faction has 'upgrade packs'. There would be light, medium, heavy and plate armor packs. I'm not sure if this is reasonable if you HAVE to create a new troop for each upgrade but it would also be possible to have weapon packages. If not, you could stick with the light, medium, heavy and plate packs.
You can get them from a city's and castle's blacksmith, maybe there could be a special merchant for that.
When you actually upgrade your troops with that gear you get money back: the troops pay for a part of their equipment. Based on their levels there will be certain amounts you can get, maybe a range of amounts. That means you can put a peasant into plate armor, but you pretty much had to pay the full 5000 denars for it. If you gave an experienced knight such an armor who already made some fortune in war it's possible that he even paid for everything.

Like I said before, I fear that you had to create too many troops. Not that it might be too much work but also that it could be too much troops(I heard there was a limit).
I really hope it's possible to seperate skills from equipment... Does anyone have a clue about that? I guess we're facing the same problem like cfnz has, that if we upgrade one troops every troop of that kind would get an equipment uprade.

If it is indeed possible then this would be very awesome. From fresh recruits to hardened sergeants, you could choose the armor they wear and the equipment won't come out of nowhere. It'd be really awesome.

But to keep it fair, NPC lords had to pay for the equipment of their troops, too. It would actually be pretty nice if it was that way because they simply come too fast back if you defeat them in the current game.

Regarding the "buy equipment for troops" thing, I think we are all converged on basically the same approach, which is probably the simplest one that works. The rest is just stylistic interface details.

Yes, it probably is... But I can't think of any way how I can archieve this by not making 5 version of every troop level :/

THks for the source code,New to this game ,Being doing a little mod myself, no real name yet, just putting different things in,

I've created a mini faction ie the player
story goes He or her has just returned home from fighting for Gold and land, he finds the world he left has been taken over by 4 new lords kings, his town castle is run down, plus he has 3 villages to protect, what he needs is hero's and quick?

can I limit the Number of personal recruits to 1 from each village?

can you give them a name or spawn with a  name?

I'm aiming to use that other excellent mod the settlement upgrade, was hoping to make the personal recruit the village lord, the man of the manor  to say would this be Po's.?

I've had some time to try different things, but looks like I be going to be busy soon so wud to complete much as i can,

if you can point me in the right direction i would most thkful. :mrgreen:

Several questions in your post. Answers:

Yes, no, yes, no: sorry no time to support this.

Glad you find it useful.

Great code Fisheye, just what I was looking for.

I'm fairly ok with being able to equip my troops with whatever I can afford from the shops, even though I'm only buying one instance of the item.    I'm even OK with all my troops getting the same gear (I like the uniform look) and you can add whatever level of variance you want by giving them more than one weapon type.

I justify this because I am just setting the standard my troops have too meet.  Knights wern't armed by their Kings, they were expected to turn up with the appropriate arms when their king needed them.  So all my elite units get told by me what the minimum standard of equipment is and they loot from the field to get enough money to upgrade, its all part of being a medieval trooper.  And all factored into the experience system.  Also it explains why I get such crap loot from the battles, all my men are getting to the good stuff before I do :smile:

The one thing I would like to do to fully justify this idea is raise their weekly cost, to reflect a reasonable expence required to keep them in their uniform tabards, healms and weapons.  I havn't figured out how to set the weekly cost for an individual unit yet, but when I do I'll be able to sleep easy :smile: 

This is very nice, I was looking for something like this but I have run into one problem. I wanted to give my troops a weapon from my inventory, but when I get to the screen that allows me to change their equipment it doesn't show up, in fact none of my actual inventory shows up. Do I need to change an actual .txt file, or am I just not doing something correctly?

The Militia said:
This is very nice, I was looking for something like this but I have run into one problem. I wanted to give my troops a weapon from my inventory, but when I get to the screen that allows me to change their equipment it doesn't show up, in fact none of my actual inventory shows up. Do I need to change an actual .txt file, or am I just not doing something correctly?

You can't do that (and it makes no sense anyway - you pick up a rusty axe, and suddenly all your 100 nords also have a rusty axe, wtf?).

For each custom troop there's a troop entry that has the item selections for that troop. Add your desired item to the list manually in the module system.

Help, Fisheye!
I can't help but the inventory on the right is the troop's items not mine! What am I suppose to do? Sorry for asking but I don't know how this work, I try to use the playtest you made.

Sir William the Brave said:
Help, Fisheye!
I can't help but the inventory on the right is the troop's items not mine! What am I suppose to do? Sorry for asking but I don't know how this work, I try to use the playtest you made.

That's how it's supposed to be.

In this case it only refers to the commented "entries/strings" of the modification, i.e. commented text made by the modder for an efficient search within the archive.

Back
Top Bottom