Spin your yarn here! Tales of Valor and...errr...Courage!

Users who are viewing this thread

Thank you, thank you, I'm here till Thursday (actually I hope to be here a little longer than that, although after being a little bit unfairly kicked off another forum without a decent reason today I'm not too hopeful)

Ive one many a battle on my own including several river pirates on to me. One time i got several of the bastards in the head in a row with a trusty crossbow.
Anyway to my best victory ever. I had about 8 or 9 guys and my entourage and i was attacked my an angry mob of black khergits. They killed or K.O.d all my guys and i was left to eliminate them with my bow and a sword. I got them all. The dirty bastards! Except it was on the demo and i reached lvl 6 and so couldnt share in the spoils of my victory. This has happened a few times.

I made a very lucky shot once, it wasn't exactly a battle changing moment but I was still flabbergasted that it worked.

I had basically just finished a battle against a bunch of river pirates, when I saw the last enemy on the map. With a stream of my cavalry intending to ride him down. They were riding past him on the right and slashing at him on their left sides (I'm not sure why) and I was far to the right of them. The point is my cavalry made a screen between me and the bandit, a moving wall through which I saw no gaps. So, as this was the last enemy and I was unlikely to actually kill any of my men I decided to try and shoot him through the moving wall. I got out my bow and aimed roughly where I thought the pirate was. I decided not to try any skill and just waited long enough for me to shout "For God and Swadia!"

The arrow passed through a hole I could not see and hit the pirate right in the head, scoring something like 120 damage.

It's a shame it was at such a worthless point because I'm never going to get luck like that again.

If you want more shots like that, work on your archery skills. Buy a longbow and bodkin arrows....... :!: ZZIPthudBDDDRRRRRRR

I am minding my own buissness when i see a caravan under attack i try to rush to it's aid(i'm on foot) when out of no where a group of black khergits attack me. I'm outnumbered 1 to 20 and ready for a bloody fight.

I take out two in the first minuit in the fight before they get close then i see there main force speeding towards me and shooting at me.I take as many archers out as i can first with a few arrows to the head .just as i finish off the suposenly last one i get couched from the back. now on very little health i can't afford to get hit again.

He charges lance down towards me i jump over him swerve round and take him out with an arrow to the back of the head(yes i actually jumped over the front of his horse it suprised me to)

Then i enjoy Selling the loot and saveing the caravan

(just so you know when i'm my archer i never have a sword so i can get the maximum amount of arrows i can get).

leprechaun said:
If you want more shots like that, work on your archery skills. Buy a longbow and bodkin arrows....... :!: ZZIPthudBDDDRRRRRRR

I didn't describe it very well, it's not that it was a headshot that amazes me but that I couldn't even see how it happened.

The young knight stood on the summit of the cliff, staring down into the valley below. His scarred face,. bent features, and sun-tanned face was twisted, showing the grief that he felt. "Gone. All gone. Not even one survivor. I shouldn't have ordered that charge. My enemies were too strong, and I knew it! Why?" He then cried out in his native tongue, cursing the day of the battle and the khergits that had beset him and his party in the desert. He walked down the hill, stopping to shove a javaline deeper into the khergit leader. "You deserve this, but you deserved torture more," said the knight. He stood there gritting his teeth as if he expected the man to sit up and respond. He stooped over and pulled the javaline out of his enemy's body. "Still straight, no cracks... It will see battle again," he said, and put it in his quiver. He walked about, collecting weapons from the people on the battle field. All the while he thought about the hard fought victory, and he chastised himself for not helping his men when they needed it. There was nothing to do now but start over.

"Welcome back Charles! What today? A job? Men?" The tavern keeper had been Charles' only friend aside from his army, though the strong drink that the man sold never appealed to him.

"Nothing like that today," said Charles. "Just a room for the night.

"Oh. Well for you, Charles, a room is free. Preferred customer discount!" said the tavern keeper. Charles looked at him, and then back at the other people in the tavern, each looking about ready to jump up and demand a free room.

"I feel better paying," said Charles, and he dropped five denars on the counter. The tavern keeper gave him the key and Charles walked up the stairs to his room. That entire night he thought of his failure to help his friends, and made up his mind never to put hired men in danger again. He would fight alone, and he would die alone if necessary. It didn't matter any more.

Charles awoke the next morning with a sensation that he had had a new baginning. He looked through the armour that he had gathered from the enemy, and suddenly realized that there was a note in the pocket of one of the suits that he had taken. He read quietly to himself.

'To the king of Vaegir: Compliments from the Khergit Raiders. If you want your son back you must give us 100,000 denars, or he will be killed at dawn on the third day of this coming month. A messenger will be visiting you over the course of the next few days, and when you get the money give it to him. If at any time he fails to return your son will taste our steel. Remember, the Khergits are everywhere.'

Charles stared at the note, stunned that a disorginized band of raiders such as the Khergit would attempt such a thing. He also noticed that a part of the note, right near the middle had been scratched out. After some thinking he decided to visit the capitol, even though he suspected that this was just a joke, being as he had killed the band of raiders that had had it.

Charles was in the stables making his horse ready for his long journey. Suddenly he heard the Constable talking to someone.

"Yes, it's true! The king's son has been kidnapped, and he has found a ransom note from the Khergits demanding 100,000 denars or his son's life! It happened two days ago."

This was all Charles needed to hear. Quickly collecting his baggage, he set off towards the capitol of Vaegir.

To be continued...

Thanks for an excuse to continue...
Charles rode up to the castle, sweating profusely in the midday sun. He jumped off his horse and took a small pack off of his horse. "Stable boy! Take care of my horse, will you?" The boy ran up and took his horse to the stable, while Charles walked towards the front entrance. "I have heard about the king's son, and I am here to help," said Charles. The guards, though seemingly suprised, let Charles enter. He walked down the cold stone corridor, stopping at the doors to the throne room. He talked to the guards. One of them entered the throne room, and shortly afterwards returned. "The king wishes to speak with you sir," said the guard. Charles entered the room. There on his thone sat the king, obviously distraut by what had happened to his son. Charles wasted no time in opening the subject of the king's son.

"Sir, I have heard that your son was kidnapped, and I am here to help in any way I can," said Charles.

The king sighed. "Yes, it is true, but there is not much that you can do to help us."

"Was there not a ransom note?" asked Charles

The king looked suprised. "Yes, there was a note, but I instructed my knights and nobles not to tell anyone about it. What else do you know?"

Charles pulled the note out of the small pack that he had brought. "I found this in the possesion of a Khergit horseman. I thought at first that it was a joke with no real significance, but then I heard two people talking about your son's capture. I came here straight away."

The king took a glance over at a table beside his throne. The real ransom note was still there. "But why would there be more than one copy?" asked the king.

"I don't know. Maybe it had something to do with this part in my copy that is crossed out."

"Let me see that," said the king. He took the note and after a while said, "Yes, it is almost an exact replica of the note I have. Only the crossed out sentence is different. Let's see if i can make it out... Bring the ..um.. Bring the ransom money to ..to.. Bring the ransom money to the four ways inn."

"I wonder what significance that has," said Charles.

"I don't know. The only guess I could make is that they are camping somewhere near there, and didn't want to run the risk of being caught," said the king.

"Yes... I think you could be right, my lord, it seems very logical to me," responded Charles.

"Good! I think I'll send a group of men down that way..."

"I think that that would not be the best plan of attack. I think that, on the sight of a war party, they would use your son as their shield, and they might kill them while they were at it," interrupted Charles.

"Ah, yes, you are right. But what am I to do Charles?" asked the king.

"If I may suggest, sir. Though a group of men may cause that effect, I think that if a single man got into their camp and released you son, it might just work."

"Yes, you are right. But who to send?"

"I am ready and willing, sir. Just send me, and I will do my best to release your son."

"Yes, but is your best good enough? If you make so much as one mistake, it would destroy the entire purpose of the mission."

"Yes sir, I will not make so much as one mistake. I know I could do it. Just give me a chance."

The king stood, looking at Charles, sizing him up, trying to decide if he woulds be enough. "All right Charles. You leave tomorrow. I will provide you with supplies to get you there."

"Thank you sir."

"And one more thing. Luke," he motioned to a servant, "Prepare a room for our visitor."

"Yes sir," said the servant, and he left to complete the king's wishhes.
To be continued...
I will update tomorrow.

blimey, flabbergasted by this man's story, hes gone from one to another shocking the audiences. even though my story isnt even a comparison its the continueing from the basic story of my character in 'tell us about your character'. here goes nothing? PS:black knight is a custom made unit.

Rhode was having his dinner, a bowl of soup and bread, when a Black knight entered the room, bowed to Rhode then sat at the table where he started eating a secound bowl of soup.
'My lord, the party counts thirty knights and are waiting for your orders.'
Rhode looked up at the black knight after finishing his soup
'Very well then.. uhh. tell them i shall be out soon and we will ride for Moair.' Rhode replied, the Black knight nodded and took his soup then left the inn.
An minute later Rhode followed with his bag and sheathed Scimitar.

Apoun leaving the port the column of black knights rode north to a small portion of land called Moair, a plantation of farms, huts and a small castle
in the villa. when Rhode entered the small castle he went to the top tower, when he arrived he looked out apon his land - Surveying the surroundings.
Rhode sprinted down the tower and ordered for each black knight to take thirty peasents under the knights command and started building palisade around his lands which every knight followed to the letter. a few days later a stout palisade was built around Moair and the knights had started work on wells and a watering system for the farms. as well as repairing broken homes and even extending the castle for a blacksmith to work.

It wasnt long before the watchman in the tallest tower on the castle saw three war partys closing in on the entrance, the Watchman barked what he saw down to a secound watchman, which ran to Rhode who was helping digging a trench for water transportation to the farms
'My lord Rhode, multiple war partys to the south closing in.'
Rhode, without repliying climbed out the trench and ran to the gate
'Close the gates! Archers to the walls!' Rhode shouted as he reached the gate were a band of archers were testing the strength of the palisade.

The war partys stopped just outside the archers range and one of them rose a white flag, followed by many more through all three war partys
'We are here on orders of Count Rainsmae of Duclair, he's with the third party with his new wife Angelica, they wish to rest here for the night before continueing to Duclair' when the soldiers stopped chanting that all together Rhode mouth was gaping, Angelica here? Scrambling for an answer he shouted 'Uhh ok then, they may rest in the guest chambers, all the knights will recieve shelter and food for the night as well.' the Soldiers cheered loudly and started marching towards the gate which swung open as they approached.

'Ceros, post yourself and one knight you trust outside the guest chambers, order Militia to watch the camp the war partys are resting in'
Rhode whispered to his secound in command as the war partys marched through with wide smiles on there faces 'but make sure there treated as royally as the count and his wife'
'Very well my lord' Ceros replied and slid down the ladder of the palisade then ran toward the castle

In the evening Rhode had sent the peasants home for the night as well as the knights and was working on stoning the last of the trench they did earlier when a woman in white silk apon a white horse stopped beside the trench 'I search for Rhode of balamont, do you know were he is?' Rhode recognised the voice, Angelica. Rhode looked up at Angelica and replied
'Yes, what is it you want?' 'Ah, Rhode. umm, as you can see i am married now so i just like to' Angelica was saying before Rhode cut in 'like to what? say sorry for making me ride for five days to find out my father and my mothers dead? sorry for making me accept you and your husband into my castle to which i had to send knights whom were resting in the chamber to a shack for the night?' Angelica didnt make haste in saying anything, she just looked at the signet ring on her finger. 'You know,' she started 'When i first saw you i thought i saw an angel, but when i realised what i confessed my love to, i was petrified'
Rhode stopped looking at her and looked in the mirror - ordinary nose, slightly robust jawline and mouth - its true he was differant from everyone else, but isnt that good that at least thats all he inherited from his father? When Rhode looked up Angelica was gone, riding back to the castle.

When Rhode had finished and made his way back to the castle he heard noises in the bed chamber, unpleasent ones, which made Rhode walk even quicker up to his counts chamber, when he got there he undressed and slept in the bed, silk lining..

When he woke a Black knight was there, he noticed it was Ceros, he looked tired and worried
'What is it ceros?' Rhode spoke up as he walked to the closet in his dressing gown 'My lord, a peasant woman has been raped and murdered by the Vaegir's, we've asked them to leave but there to drunk to realise what there doing' With that sentance finished rode changd from his ordinary clothes to chainmail then walked over to the armour shelf, and he put his armour on along with his Scimitar and bow & Quiver.
'Assemble the Black knights with there militia squads, we'll fight them if we have too, also order all the women, children and old men into the castle. Oh and also tell the old men to grab pikes from the castles armoury when inside and close the gate' Rhode ordered as he was putting his helmet on, Ceros nodded and rushed out with his hand on the hilt of his sword. Rhode followed in the same posture till he reached the outside were he saw two Vaegir men-at-arms with there swords drawn, trying to rape another woman.

'Thats enough!' Rhode shouted as he drew all his power and threw them both to the ground from the platform were the woman was at then he drew his bow, knocked an arrow and aimed at one of them 'Leave' he spoke calmly and seriously, so seriously the men-at-arms didnt even look at him twice before dropping there swords and running for there camp
'Archers! Knock your arrows of fire and point it at the vaegirs till they leave!' he shouted a the palisade, the archers followed it wearily and the Vaegirs looked really, really worried. It wasnt long before the three war partys making a total of two hundred soldiers left Moair. Rainmae followed cursing Rhode, Angelica followed without looking twice at him.

EDIT: part two

Rhode was with the peasants finishing the trench later that day, Rhode kept being distracted from strange gusts of wind and and eerie silence.
When Rhode had finally finished the trench and had made sure it worked he walked up to Ceros, who was at the tallest tower on the castle.
'Do you feel it, my lord?' Ceros whispered as he stared to the south
'Yes. what do you think's happening?' Rhode replied, keeping the whisper tone. 'We recieved word that Swadians destroyed the port eariler, might be war, might be the stench of the two thousand people living in the port's rotting bodies giving the air this... eerie feeling' Ceros finished still whispering.
All of a sudden the horizon grew black with soldiers and knights whom all carried Vaegir banners, a strange white figure was at the front.
'Vaegirs, mi'lord' Ceros spoke normally as he fished for some bread in his pouch. 'Lets see what they have to say, command the gate closed and archers to the walls' Rhode replied while slicing some of the bread off and eating it. Ceros rose a green flag and waved it while staring at the gate. a green flag was rising on a pole near the gate and it closed, almost timed exactly the same the Archers rose from the palisade and watched the army grow closer, and closer.

Rhode was fully armoured and at the head of his black knight column, ready to charge into what came through the gate, when all of a sudden one of the archers rose a purple flag - meaning messanger incoming - which was followed by the pitter pittar of horse shoes go through the gate and stop next to Rhode 'My lord, King Yaroglek wishes your column joins the campaign against Swadia' the Messanger spoke firm and slow, with the jittery jaws of a man not used to riding with all those soldiers
'We shall join' Rhode said without hesitation, he commanded Ceros to stay and charged out with the rest of the column.

A day later Rhode himself was riding alongside the king and Rhode looked forward without a spit of fear, occasionally looking to his right were the black knights had joined the cavalry division, Rhode never looked left in fear of seeing Rainmae and that white banner with two pigeons on it he was obbsessing over, an hour later the king ordered a halt along with various orders which one was 'Rhode, join the cavalry division along with Pitae' - Pitae was one of the kings nephews and was a very good horseman -. Rhode realised why the king ordered all this when he looked forward again, the Swadian army was on the over side of this wasteland, without further stalling Rhode raced Pitae to the cavalry division, were they both issues the same orders, one of Rhode's was 'Knights, Banners hoist!' which was replied by several pikes dropping down then rising with banners attached to each one.

Rhode saw the two kings meet in the center, he couldnt see or hear what they were saying, when the Rhodes king returned he nodded to Pitae, which was the OK sign for battle. numerous trumpets sounded and the cavalry, massing to two thousand men, starding riding forward slowly, Pitae had left Rhodes side to the over side of the flanks, Rhode raised his sword in the air and the black knights, along with everyone else riding with him (a gap had formed between Pitaes and Rhodes knights) went into a charge which was followed timelessly by Pitaes knights, all Rhode could hear was trumpets bellowing in the wind, flags flapping on the pikes which were crouched now and the thunder of horse hoofs, Rhode saw out of nowhere an arrow sing over his helmet, Rhode pointed his sword forward and crouched on his horse, within secound the cavalry was imbedded inside the Swadian army, slashing, stabbing and beheading.
Rhode looked at the rest of his army only once, to see them sandwiching Rhodes knights in battle. Rhode saw all his black knights drop the ground dead, one after another and was evantually pulled off his horse himself. everything went black for Rhode when his helmet was pulled off and was kicked in the face.

Final Edit: Part Three

Rhode was awoken by a swadian yelling in his ear, apon opening his eyes he saw a battlefield full of bodies and dead horses, the man shouting at him was standing next to him with his sword pointing at Rhodes neck.
Rhode got up knowing the swadian was wounded and therefore didnt have the energy, and to Rhodes suspisions, the courage to kill an un-armed man. Rhode walked over to were his horse lay and took his flask, bread bag and Scimitar while glancing at the Swadian only once to see he was copying him on somone elses horse. Rhode explored the bodies for his black knights, unable to find them he started East toward Moair castle, he kept seeing the Swadian behind him. 'Heh' Rhode chuckled 'your homes that way' Rhode pointed West, the Swadian looked West then replied 'Ok' and sprinted west.

Rhode found a horse that was scared off the battlezone by the noise and rode it back to Moair. were he saw a vast stone wall, apon entering he saw Ceros who explained what was going on. 'my lord, after you left for the battle Lady Angelica arrived with a convoy of stoneworkers, they helped us make this wall.. We also have trebuchet's and crossbows ready for duty' Rhode was gobsmacked, what was going on? he started looking around, were a small shack was now exists a neighbourhood of stone houses with a staircase for archer access. the houses were small near the wall and grew in height as they approached the castle, Ceros' explaination was 'its so archers on each house can fire at people on the over side of the wall without fear of hitting there own' which rhode only nodded too. Rhode entered the Castle to find marble flooring instead of the grass, Silk lining table clothes instead of bare ones, when he went up to his room the bed was silk, so was his bed-gown, and his armour stand was replaced by a solid oak polished armour'e with a selection of water-steel and balanced swords, axes and a fine selection of bodkin arrows.
when he examined the bed posts carefully it was made of solid, polished oak which was covered in a thin layer of black so it blends in with the room. Rhode was tired from the battle, getting to the battle and fro. so he told Ceros goodnight and when ceros left Rhode undressed and went to bed.

Rhode woke to instead of the noise of farmers picks and moany old men begging for coins he heard gentle chatter, children playing, violins playing in the main hall and the gentle humming of women who were on there roofs gossiping on the latest news.

Rhode bathed in the new en-suite bathroom which Rhode thought was unbeleivable, he dressed in the clothing that was available and made his way to the hall were he smelt the tell-tale smell of roasted boar, potatoes and soup. he grabbed all he could get and found room at a table were some nobles were dining, they fell into a silence and bowed to Rhode as he sat down, Rhode gave them a "please dont" look, which the nobles respected and went back to gossiping, involving Rhode was the occaisional 'how did the battle go?' to which Rhode explained that he couldnt see all of it from a wound which rendered him unconcious.

Apon leaving the castle on horse-back Rhode went around the city familiarising himself with the surroundings, all this.. in twelve months? Rhode kept thinking to himself, he dismounted and explored the walls, thick stone blocks with archery capability, towers on every corner and half of the walls, you really did feel safe inside the walls.

A year later Rhode was with Angelica, whom was expecting there secound child. Rhode looked the same but bore two rings, one for his wife and one for his son, both honoring them. his lands were Swadian now, and it had grew so vast it reached the city, and it bore the name 'Tihir'..

And then Many, Many years later a mysterious traveler goes through the city to Zendar, were your journeys begin.

------The End------

Part 1: The waking;

I don't recall how I ended up in Caldaria, I had no recollection of my memory other then I was a "MALE" "A HUNTER" and "Party has nothing to eat" sentances flashing before my eyes. When I got on my feet I started to walk towards a keep surronded with walls. The walls didn't go for long and I could see the only buildings roof top. However when I passed through it gates I noticed the "keep" was indeed a larger town with lots of towers and buildings that otherwise cannot be seen. However right after I stepped in to the town found myself in the middle of it. I think I was too tired and forgot how I ended up there. When I looked around I noticed a bald guy announcing something, but the rest of the town didn't seem to care at all. When approached him he looked me with empty eyes. We kept looking at each other for some time then something happened, my view has changed, I only could his face and there were words next to him and other ones lined below them. As far as I understood he wouldn't kiss me and will pay for each river pirate I kill. I looked around my backpack. Here was a horse in it, which leapt out of it as soon as I opened it. It was cool, so I had a horse... but nothing else. No money, no food... So decided to see if I could take out few river pirates so that I could crash at the local inn. As soon as I set my mind and prepared my equipment I was out in the wilderness. I wandered around the river and saw a lone suspisious looking guy by the river bank. When I approached I saw other bright letters above his head but before I could understand what was written my world blacked out and long spotless green plains were replaced with a foresty area with some small ponds.

Part 2: Blood
Knowing there was only one river I decided to run him down with horse. The beast gallopped towards the woods where I could see my enemy partially. However there was something wrong with my horse... I really don't know what was missing untill I noticed I didn't knew how to change my horses direction with my legs. We ran straigth into a tree. I banged my head on the tree and the horse broke his neck. I grasped another sentence before it fanish before my eyes "Horse Crippled". I guessed those were divine interventions or my super hero skills. No matter what I was dedicated to meet my enemies hand to hand. Then the truth revealed there were four river pirates instead of one. The blasted pirate must have called for reinforcements. So I pulled out my crossbow... accually my sword dissapeared and my crossbow happened to be in my hands. I took my aim carefully... and my bolt flew off to a random direction. While I was struggling to place a new bolt a stone hit my forehead and I passed out.

Part 3:Misery.
When I woke a few hours later, I saw the landscape has changed again. The endless plains were back again. I made back to Zendar and tried every door, finally I ended up in a merchants... office or depot... He told me that he buy salt for a good price and if I buy some tools and sell it at the other end of the map I'd make some good profit. I decided to sell crossbow and bolts to him, so that I'd have my capital buy some salt from a far away mine. I've noticed that my horse was suffering serious paralization, that he could only use his front legs for crawling around and making funny noises when I'm on him. I kinda felt sorry for him but I didn't have any money to take him to a healer. When I reached the salt mines I could only buy three sack of salt, my profit was for sure but it meant that it will have to take sometime to get enough money to take my horse to a healer or get a replacement. Things got worse my horse lost control of another leg on the way, our travel speed was halved. Finally we arrived at Zendar. The profit wasn't what I was expecting but it was enough to cover a night at inn.

Part 4:The most wellcome discovery
The morning came, when I came back to tavern I spotted the exact same people standing at the exact same spot. There was an eerie silence. Even the burning torches were silent. While on my way out I tripped to a chest standing right next to the door. I couldn't overcome my curiousity and opened it. I found a short wooden stick and some strange metal balls. I took it, it felt somehow... How can I put it, both confortable and encouraging. I waved it around to find out whose stick is it and what exactly it is. The silence was all I got. Then I gripped it hard and it violently exploded and one of the patrons fell to the ground. Satisfied with the power of this new weapon I took my leave. Either they were autistics or shaking with fear nobody interrupted my leave. What should I do was clear, I was to find out the ruffian who knock me down and kill them. After a few hours of tracking the arrows on the ground I found them. I waited them to get closer and gripped the boomstick (that's what I call it) and waited for it to kill them. Nothing happened, I remembered the metal balls and tried to stick some in. Then, I killed one, I finally understood that I had to refill it with balls and it explodes everytime.

Rest of his friends clubbed me...

Part 5:Fatality
I, once again, came to Zendar broke. I wanted the Merchant to lend me some money but instead he gave me some wine and meat to deliver it to Suno, where a king of something is throwing a banquet. I jumped (accually sit on) my horse and set to road. The travel was slow since my horse still only able use one of its legs, but it was better then walking. When I reached my destination I wanted to talk to the King, he was in good moods and let me in his chamber. Oddly me a stranger wielding a sword could go ahead and speak the king! I was exicted when I noticed the king was an old man with no guard around... you know, easy pickings. He talked about how he wants my services from that I noticed he was afraid of what I could do. His fears were in place, I have decided to kill him and become the new king! I held my sword high over my head, he looked back with meaningless stares, using all my strength I brought my sword down... But the old king was thougher then he looked. My sword bounced back and shattered my skull. Ever since he keeps me in a cage before his castle and sometimes even feeds me.

1) General_Specific, please give us more story. It's been months.
2) New lv20. character, same name (can't be bothered to think up a new one). Tales will follow over the next few days. Possibly.

Friends, enemies, countrymen, and whoever else might be listening, lend to me your ears! I'm back, and here comes the next part of the story, enjoy!
Charles rode at a swift trot, a few Vaegir Knights flanking him on either side. Although he had tried to be as firm as possible about not bringing anyone with him, the king would hear nothing of it. He sent for his ten strongest knights and had them join with Charles in his expedition. Charles saw them as just a waste ofd time, just the same as he saw the five saddle horses loaded with supplies that brought up the rear.

As he reached the top of the next hill, Charles spied the Four Ways Inn below them. It was a convenient position for an Inn, to be sure, right in the middle of nowhere, but the facilities were somewhat lacking. Charles "was slightly opposed to centering the search here, but it would go on the same way with or without his approval.

As they approached the inn, one of the guards seperated himself from the group to go and reserve rooms for the lot of them. It had been a long day of riding, what with the occasional stops to rest the horses, and they were all exhausted and well ready for a good night's sleep, something Charles was nearly sure wouldn't be happening tonight. They had already had to rid this countyside from a few steppe bandits during their journey, and Charles found it not unlikely that the Khergits would be nearby as well.

Charles left his horse with one of the guards and entered the inn. The innkeeper was conversing with the captain of the guards, and a few travellers sat at the tables, some drowning themselves in the ale that the innkeeper provided, some speeking quietly among themselves, and some sitting by themselves. Charles sat across from a man at one of the tables. He was dressed in Khergit garb, with leather boots on his feet, and a somewhat battered skullcap on his head. His hair was black, and stuck out under the front of his helmet. The prominant feature of his face was the mustache that seemed to grow out from the noseguard of his helmet. He didn't seem to have been drinking, then again, it didn't seem that he had enough in his purse to buy anything anyway. He played pensively with the end of his mustache, and gave a short word of greeting as Charles sat down.

"Good day, stranger," he coughed out.

"And a good day to you too," returned Charles, removing his helmet.

"My name is Borcha. I'm waiting for a friend of mine to arrive," the stranger continued. "You wouldn't have run into a Vaegir captain lately, have you? He had a pretty good sized party with him last I saw, and he was on his way to deliver some supplies to Rivacheg. We were running low on food, so the captain had me go get some food at a nearby village. He told me to meet him here at the Four Ways Inn."

"I'm sorry, sir," responded Charles, "But I have seen no such man. The only ones I encountered on my way here were a few bands of steppe bandits."

"Like I figured," muttered Borcha, "He deserted me."

"Now, why would a captain of the Vaegir cause do that, pray tell?" queried Charles.

The man looked Charles in the face for a second, and continued, "I don't have the best of reputations, sir, and I don't think that the good captain trusted me. I think that his sending me for food was as good as paying me to leave."

Charles nodded. "I've heard of similar things. I've heard stories of men rescuing dark hunters from their enemies, and then abandoning them when they started to stir up disaccord among the camp. I certainly don't see you as the type to stir up trouble."

Borcha snorted. "If you don't see me as a troublemaker, you don't see much past your nose. Everywhere I go there seems to be another outbreak of some sort of disturbance. I wish I could get a turn in my fortunes."

"Well, I think I could use a man like you," said Charles. The man looked at him in suprise. "I lost my travelling companions in a battle a while back, and I'll be needing to start another one soon."

Borcha looked at the knight at the counter. "What about those guys?" he asked.

"They're just with me until we accomplish a mission," explained Charles. "Speaking of the mission, it's one that could use a few hired blades," he added after a moment's pause.

The man looked at him intently, then smiled. "Well, you've got yourself a blade," he said, reching out his hand.

Charles shook it. "Now, I'll need you to be up at daybreak tomorrow. That's when we start the mission."

Borcha saluted. "Aye, sir. I'll be sure to be there waiting for you when you get ready."

Charles nodded. "I hope so. Well, then," he said, standing up, "I'd love to sit and chat some more, but I have a few things to attend to."

Borcha nodded. "Then I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow at first light," confirmed Charles, and he turned and left the inn towards the stables. Borcha smiled. 'This job might get interesting,' he thought. Leaning back in his oak chair, he fell asleep, helmet still perched on his brow.

Back
Top Bottom