The Eagle and the Wolves original thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well actually, The Picts and Scots are different factions.  In the story, the Scots, a culture who's birthland was Eire, start immigrating to the shores of Western Caledonia, so I'm hoping conflict begins to occur there.

Dudro said:
Troop trees:

mercenary:                  farmer-----watchman------caravan guard---------mercenary swordsman---------galloglas
                                                            \            \
                                                              \              ------mercenary horseman---------------mercenary cavalry
                                                              \
                                                                  -------mercenary crossbowman--------vet. crossbowman---------mercenary sniper.

Romano-British:

Coastal Levy-------recruit-------------legionary--------trained legionary-----------vet legionary
                \          \
                \          light cavalry------heavy cav.------------trooper
                  \
                  skirmisher--------bowman--------vet. bowman

Roman:

Auxilia-----------limentiii----------pseudolimentii---------vet. pseudolimentii--------------auxilia palatiner 
    \                  \
    \                  comitatense-------------vet.comitatense-----------millarian comitatense
      \   
      skirmisher----levantia----vet.levantia 
          \
          auxilia skirmisher-----sagittarius----vet.sagittarius
                    \
                scolae----------imperial german bodyguard         

Eirish:   

eirish clansman-------eirish footman--------trained footman--------eirish warrior-------------eirish galloglas
                                  \                                                        \
                                    \                                                        ----eirish spearman-------------vet.eirish spearman
                                    \
                                      ----skirmisher--------------bowman---------------vet.bowman.

note:this troop tree goes for all three eirish factions

Saxon:

saxon clansman-------footman-----------trained footman----------warrior------------champion axeman
                              \                          \                              \
                                \                          \                              ----------champion swordsman
                                \                          \
                                  \                          -----raiding horseman-----------vet raiding horseman
                                  \
                                    ---archer------------vet. archer------------champion archer

Cambrian/Pendragon:

Pendragon clansman----------footman------warrior----------veteran warrior-----------champion
          \                                                  \
            \                                                  ----light horseman-----------chiefs guard
            \
              ----archer----------trained archer-----------vet archer-----------master archer

note: Pendragons are the only ones to have the long bow, a brand new invention, which is going to be the second best bow in the game.

Cornwall:

Cornish recruit-------footman-------trained footman---------infantry-----------kings guard
        \                        \
          \                        ---skirmisher--------archer----------veteran archer
          -------watchman

Note:  The watchman is the mercenary troop, due to the massive amounts of mercenary armies Cornwall uses in the novel.

pictish hillman-----pictish footman-------pictish warrior----------pictish woad-------pictish champion
              \                                                                              \
              \                                                                              -----pictish warlords guard(mounted)
                \
                ----pictish skirmisher------trained skirmisher---------vet. skirmisher

Northumbria:

recruit------footman--------trained footman-------guard----------------royal guard
                    \                    \
                      \                    ---archer------chosen archer
                      \
                        \
                          ----danish mercenary----------danish warrior---------danish wolf warrior

Since you said you'll be mushing the timeframe, I wonder why there are still Romans as distinct from Romano-British in Arthur's time. Or is that how the series ends up?

I read somewhere that recent scholarship thinks British horsemen in "Arthurian Britain" (I put this in quotes since it's not sure "Arthur" really existed, though definitely there were warleaders who resisted Germanic invasion) were more likely to be skirmishers with throwing spears than heavy cataphract-types with lances.

Well I'm going by the books, quite literally, so the Romano-British will have TEARC, short form for Table Eating Arthurian Roman Cavalry. (courtesy of the mercenary.)

Dudro said:
Well actually, The Picts and Scots are different factions.  In the story, the Scots, a culture who's birthland was Eire, start immigrating to the shores of Western Caledonia, so I'm hoping conflict begins to occur there.
If you want to get the names right it's the gaels not the scots. It gets confused becuase of Constantine being the first king of scotland but raised by Gaels.

pentagathus said:
Dudro said:
If you want to get the names right it's the gaels not the scots.

Yes, they called themselves Gaels, (pronounced "Gauls"),  but they were dubbed Scots, or Scotii, by the Romans.

Bloid said:
Dudro said:
Troop trees:

mercenary:                  farmer-----watchman------caravan guard---------mercenary swordsman---------galloglas
                                                            \            \
                                                              \              ------mercenary horseman---------------mercenary cavalry
                                                              \
                                                                  -------mercenary crossbowman--------vet. crossbowman---------mercenary sniper.

Romano-British:

Coastal Levy-------recruit-------------legionary--------trained legionary-----------vet legionary
                \          \
                \          light cavalry------heavy cav.------------trooper
                  \
                  skirmisher--------bowman--------vet. bowman

Roman:

Auxilia-----------limentiii----------pseudolimentii---------vet. pseudolimentii--------------auxilia palatiner 
    \                  \
    \                  comitatense-------------vet.comitatense-----------millarian comitatense
      \   
      skirmisher----levantia----vet.levantia 
          \
          auxilia skirmisher-----sagittarius----vet.sagittarius
                    \
                scolae----------imperial german bodyguard         

Eirish:   

eirish clansman-------eirish footman--------trained footman--------eirish warrior-------------eirish galloglas
                                  \                                                        \
                                    \                                                        ----eirish spearman-------------vet.eirish spearman
                                    \
                                      ----skirmisher--------------bowman---------------vet.bowman.

note:this troop tree goes for all three eirish factions

Saxon:

saxon clansman-------footman-----------trained footman----------warrior------------champion axeman
                              \                          \                              \
                                \                          \                              ----------champion swordsman
                                \                          \
                                  \                          -----raiding horseman-----------vet raiding horseman
                                  \
                                    ---archer------------vet. archer------------champion archer

Cambrian/Pendragon:

Pendragon clansman----------footman------warrior----------veteran warrior-----------champion
          \                                                  \
            \                                                  ----light horseman-----------chiefs guard
            \
              ----archer----------trained archer-----------vet archer-----------master archer

note: Pendragons are the only ones to have the long bow, a brand new invention, which is going to be the second best bow in the game.

Cornwall:

Cornish recruit-------footman-------trained footman---------infantry-----------kings guard
        \                        \
          \                        ---skirmisher--------archer----------veteran archer
          -------watchman

Note:  The watchman is the mercenary troop, due to the massive amounts of mercenary armies Cornwall uses in the novel.

pictish hillman-----pictish footman-------pictish warrior----------pictish woad-------pictish champion
              \                                                                              \
              \                                                                              -----pictish warlords guard(mounted)
                \
                ----pictish skirmisher------trained skirmisher---------vet. skirmisher

Northumbria:

recruit------footman--------trained footman-------guard----------------royal guard
                    \                    \
                      \                    ---archer------chosen archer
                      \
                        \
                          ----danish mercenary----------danish warrior---------danish wolf warrior

Since you said you'll be mushing the timeframe, I wonder why there are still Romans as distinct from Romano-British in Arthur's time. Or is that how the series ends up?

Its not how the series ends up, but like I said, I'm mushing the timeframe together, so Arthur and the Romans will both be on Britain at the same time (Although the roman garrisons will all be at half strength.)

Dudro said:
Don Doggy said:
Danes? In Britain in the 5th century? :shock:

Yes.  Do not question me further...  Actually, do, please.

OK. What's that all about then? Why do the Northumbrians have Danes in their troop tree? By "Northumbrians" do you mean Northern Britons, or are they the Angles of the Kingdom of Northumbria?

In the novels, the Northumbrians, who were more a simple collection of local people, united by a strong leader, and strengthened over a period of a hundred years or so, couldn't quite defend themselves from the invading Saxons and other Germanic tribes, so they employed a kingdom of Danes to help defend there borders in return for fertile land to grow and prosper on.  It actually backfired big time, but, like I said, the time frame is going to be twisted to my own uses.

Looks like I'm going to have to edit my post to give the appearance of me being funny
What I previously said was: What Ragnar said is true.

What Ragnar is going to say in the past is true.  Crossbows were a relatively new invention by then, so I actually was going to take out one or two types, even though the other crossbows are all going to be improved a bit.  Picts definitely had and used crossbows regularly.

Dudro said:
What Ragnar said is true.  Crossbows were a relatively new invention by then, so I actually was going to take out one or two types, even though the other crossbows are all going to be improved a bit.  Picts definitely had and used crossbows regularly.

sry, I accidently deleted my post. I said that the picts already had crossbows... :smile:

Just out of curiosity, where do people get the idea that the Picts used crossbows? I know the old Medieval Total War had Pictish crossbowmen, but why? The Picts were pretty primitive people (say that several times fast) and short/self bows make sense, but something as technologically advanced as a crossbow? And none of the other (more advanced) cultures around them used crossbows? It just doesn't add up.

Also, a good book with an interesting take on the King Arthur legend is Firelord by Parke Godwin.

A very good review of said book: http://www.flowerfire.com/seized/reviews/firelord_sara_lipowitz.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom