New Banners - ideas and concept - artists wanted!

Users who are viewing this thread

As mentioned in the modeling thread, I think it is time for us to take a look at the faction banners.  Right now, not much is changed from native.  Here are my proposed changes:

All factions except Asaleth have one shared kingdom banner.  No more individual banners for each lord. 
  • Asaleth would have unique banners per lord as normal.  They are a feudal kingdom and more loosely committed to their faction then their rivals.

Here are my proposed banner ideas for each faction:

• Feron Tribe - Undecided.  Open to suggestions. 
[br]
  • Blighted Plague - Something undead, unholy, or otherwise grim.  Some concept art lifted from the net:
    blue_and_black_tribal_grim_reaper.jpg

[br]
  • Illoraion - An image of an archangel or paladin seems most fitting for them to me:
    [br]
    avenging_angel.jpg

angel.jpg

Paladin.jpg

[br]
  • The Planelords - Perhaps a tree or forest of some kind.  Wasn't able to find any great concept unfortunately
[br]
  • Asaleth - Multiple banners as in native, one major banner for the kingdom and ruler.  I messed around and came up with the one shown below for one, but its mainly just a design ripped off the net and then edited to sit on this banner.  I'm not an artist, so I can't make any original artwork myself.
    lionhead.jpg
[br]
So is anyone up to the challenge of creating these new banners?  If not, I'll see what I can do with what's out there. 

Taimat396 said:
Hows this for the Plague?

Only spent a minute or two on it, so dont expect anything decent.

bannertemplate132x330xp1.png

Hey, that's not bad.  With some tweaking I can certainly see something usable there.  I would change the banner to a light blue/white first, to match their cold climate and their faction text color.  I believe a red will be used for the Feron, since their armor will probably be a red of some shade.  Then I would probably expand upon what you have, maybe add a crown to the top of the skull to indicate the symbol of the Dread Sovereign.  Maybe sort of a dull gray or light blue (depending on banner color) decrepit looking crown.  Also perhaps the image of a sword or a weapon below it, but just the crown might be enough.  Just some ideas anyway.  I  like the look of the skull you've done so far though.  Thanks for spending some time on it!

Ahh, you took artistic liberty and borrowed from the web.  I had done similar (all of my concept shown in the first post is pulled from google images, and my example banner was created using a tattoo lion head design from there), but for some reason felt somehow wrong including it in a mod without asking the authors permission.

If we have to do that, we can, but I was mainly looking to see if anyone out their artistically inclined (not me for sure!) wanted to include a new work of their own.  If not, I'll try contacting some of the artists and see if they mind, I would assume they won't.  I have found elfwood.com to be full of fantasy inspired artistic talent, should it come to that.

I agree with Illoriaon's concept art especially. I'm torn between showing the whole paladin, only his helmet, or his shield.

The helmet would look pretty cool, the shield would represent their role as guardians of the people, and the whole paladin would I suppose symbolize the whole nation.

The Feron would probably look great with some banners from the orcs in Warcraft 2. I spent hours looking and memorizing the different clans, and some had some pretty awesome banners.

..If only I could find them.

Elenmmare said:
I agree with Illoriaon's concept art especially. I'm torn between showing the whole paladin, only his helmet, or his shield.

The helmet would look pretty cool, the shield would represent their role as guardians of the people, and the whole paladin would I suppose symbolize the whole nation.

The Feron would probably look great with some banners from the orcs in Warcraft 2. I spent hours looking and memorizing the different clans, and some had some pretty awesome banners.

..If only I could find them.

Tough call on that one.  Any one of those would be great really.  I am quite happy with what I was able to find for holy knights.

I found these banners from Warcraft II, are these what you're referring to?

burning-blade.jpg

blackrock.jpg

stormreaver.jpg

bleeding-hollow.jpg

twilights-hammer.jpg

black-tooth-grin.jpg

Perfect.

I'm thinking that a typical war-axe or blade would work but isn't the most original concept. Maybe if we took some kind of a mythological location or deity from their religion? A mountain of fire from which it is rumored they originated from?

something like this for god knows who would be nice

http://images.google.com.hk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.krakaos.org/trivium/Fanart/070-Trivium-Krakaos-bloodangelsbegin.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.krakaos.org/trivium/Fanart/slides/070-Trivium-Krakaos-bloodangelsbegin.html&usg=__eEwlGrCJFlIbXSbTzyDJoOdEvRM=&h=768&w=1024&sz=275&hl=zh-TW&start=11&tbnid=10kdoh8qG6jPaM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3DTrivium%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Dzh-TW%26sa%3DG

or this

http://www.kindamuzik.net/gfx/Trivium-cvr-0305.jpg

i think they would work well for the blighted plagued

hordebannermd8.jpg

With some resizing, cropping etc., I think that might be good for ze Feron?

Ill take a crack at it, if you want.

Perfect. You made that yourself? The colours are great and not too bright.

I'd like to think that we can at least come up with our own banners and not just rip them off of other games  :razz:

I had thought he'd made that. But, looking again, I seem to recognize it. Warcraft 3 orcs?

You said orc banners,so I googled orc banner and found that :razz: No idea it was a warcraft one though.

Ill try making one myself now, just stich together bits of some tribal designs.

Yeah, sadly my coworkers pulled me into WoW for awhile and that is a horde banner.  :smile:

Like I said, if we have to, we could do some editing and edit in pictures from the net, but I'd prefer to have some custom artwork. 

Elenmmare mentioned a mountain of fire.  If you look at this banner, it sort of has that concept already.  If we made something like that (note, not just edit it, but make a new, similar drawing) and included a lava explosion out of it, that might be cool looking for the Feron.

blackrock.jpg

An axe or something could work, but it wouldn't be an original idea.

Surely we have some artists browsing this board just waiting to let their talent shine..... right? 

Aww. I had a big spikey swordwith some wingey stuff and a fw random thorn-lookey bits. That doesnt sound anything like a volcano :sad:

In any case, the background took me longer thn the rest :razz:

Ten layers, with two just to make it look a little ragged.

Taimat396 said:
Aww. I had a big spikey swordwith some wingey stuff and a fw random thorn-lookey bits. That doesnt sound anything like a volcano :sad:

In any case, the background took me longer thn the rest :razz:

Ten layers, with two just to make it look a little ragged.

Was merely a suggestion, we're open to seeing any ideas you have!

Back
Top Bottom