B Other More Metal Sound Mod V2.2 for 1.010/1.011 & Warband 1.105+ *Updated 6/19/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Kardiophylax said:
Just tried it out in game and I really enjoyed them.  Thanks for releasing these sounds and for making them available for modders to use (with due credit of course). 
You are welcome  :smile:

Gerhart said:
Checkmaty what you said is a perfect way on how I feel about what you did.  Again I truly believe you have done an outstanding job.... Thanks again
Really glad you are enjoying the sounds, Gerhart. Really gives me motivation to continue working on the mod.

@Soil
Thanks for the feedback, Soil
Putting too much bass into the horses will drown out the other sounds during combat, this is a bad thing in terms of gameplay. Maybe if I could get more opinions on the horses I may tweak them to be louder.
All projectile flesh impacts besides player impacts in the game use the same sound set so getting a good balance between how all the different ranged weapons sound when hitting flesh is quite a challenge. I have been meaning to change them though as I have also noticed them to be a bit wimpy during my playtests. Flesh impacts for projectiles will be improved for next release.
Shields impacts are also difficult to get right as the difference between the force of a sword/dagger and a great axe is significant. I find the balance for shield sounds at the moment to be just right. They will be improved for next release though.

I will try to get in a few hours every day to work on the sounds. Currently the sounds don't do to well when large numbers of men are fighting at once so I will start testing with the battle size changer and high unit counts. I will also start using version numbers for future releases as I continue to improve and add in sounds.             

My first post here in the forums...  :wink:

Just want to sing my praises for your exellent sound mod! - Downloaded it yesterday and I don't exaggerate when I'm saying: it's my favorite!  :grin:

I especially do like the balance of sounds and the overall atmosphere it creates!
Adds a LOT of fun and life to the game.

Keep up the great work! - In my eyes it clearly is an enrichment. :smile:

So much for my first post...  :cool:

Best regards!

Checkmaty I would really like to throw this sound mod into the Prophesy of Pendor mod but to be honest I'm sort of lost.  In Prophesy of Pendor he has added some extra sounds (voices and I believe some ambient) plus some of the originals were modified. 

I looked in his sound folder and counted 75 added/modified sounds, some with same name as Native but different numbers at the end.  Example : Native - encounter_sea_raider_10.ogg 1281  ;  PoP - encounter_sea_raider_10.ogg 1793

I was wondering if I need to go through his sounds.txt, find the added/modified lines and copy those over to your sound.txt and adjust the beginning number to match?  If this is true then it's going to take me some time while my eyes go crossed  :lol:

@ lucky lancer
Thank you very much for for your kind words and your first forum post! 
I'm glad you are enjoying the sounds  :smile:

@ Gerhart
I don't have much experience modifying the txt files and it is probably a bad idea/impossible to merge the sounds that way. If I could get the "module_sounds.py" from the mod, then I could merge the sounds and upload the new sounds.txt.

Just discovered the custom battle mod, this should make testing the sounds much easier...

I hate to ask this but I have to.... where would I find the "module_sounds.py" in the mod?  I've looked in all of the folders but I come up with nothing  :oops:

module_sounds.py is only important for mod developers. What you need is sounds.txt.

The module_sounds.py is the python file used by the module system to input sounds into the game. If the file isn't included with the mod then asking the modder to release it is the only way.

Maybe finally someone could gather all available soundpacks and create a one mega-uber-beefy "official" sounds replacement which would finally cover all sounds in the game? With proper module_sounds.py for easiness of merging with other mods? Which would be kind of mandatory for every M&B player and every mod creator?

What do you think, folks?

BTW: Good job Checkmaty! I like these sounds a lot!

My goal is to eventually replace ALL the native sounds so a mega pack may not be needed.
Hopefully I'll even be able to add in new female voices. I've just found someone willing to scream her lungs out into the mic but the quality of her screams leave much to be desired.  :sad:

Checkmaty said:
My goal is to eventually replace ALL the native sounds so a mega pack may not be needed.
Hopefully I'll even be able to add in new female voices. I've just found someone willing to scream her lungs out into the mic but the quality of her screams leave much to be desired.  :sad:

Well... yes I understand what you mean, and what your goal is, but... err... why to replace some sounds which were *already* replaced in another sound pack(*if* they're good quality of course). This way you could have a library of sounds for mix'n'match waaaay quicker. I bet that authors of the previous sound mods wouldn't have anything against such an idea if they would be asked and credited a proper way... :wink:

Why don't you get some voces from the games which already have some female characters (Baldurs Gate/IcewinDale/Torment/NWN 1&2) and mix them together in a proper way, or sample them just tone by tone?

That's just an idea though.. :wink:

@ TheWitcher
I like to keep my sounds original so I manually record and mix/edit them myself. The other sound mods use many sound from other games so merging with them is a no go. Of course this also means taking voices from other games is a no go.

@ Cloud Breaker
Yes, unfortunately the horse fall sounds are not used by the game and instead use the generic body fall sounds when horses go down.

Got some time to work on the sounds and decided to release a new update. I will be using version numbers from now on.

Whats updated for 1.1:
-New jump sounds for horse and foot
-New draw and put away weapon sounds
-New body falls
-New string pulls for the bow and crossbow
-Improved fire sounds for the bow and thrown weapons
-Improved wooden shield impacts
-Improved projectile flesh impacts
-Various other improvements and volume tweaks

First post updated

Oohhhh goody *rubs hands together*.  I'm grabbing this now to see what you've come up with. 

If I ask Saxondragon for his module_sounds.py would you be able to make these work for Prophesy of Pendor?  I tried to edit the sounds.txt and even though I got the sounds in there it was quite the failure  :oops:

Thanks again for sharing you work  :grin:

Sure, if you can get me the module_sounds.py I'll merge the sounds and upload the new sounds.txt.

*Edit
Downloaded the mod and noticed that it uses new headers for the sounds. I will probably need the entire module system from the mod author to merge the sounds properly.

Very nice work, I especially like the new draw sounds for the bow.  You have a good ear please keep up the great work and thank you again for sharing.  :smile:

Checkmaty said:
Sure, if you can get me the module_sounds.py I'll merge the sounds and upload the new sounds.txt.

*Edit
Downloaded the mod and noticed that it uses new headers for the sounds. I will probably need the entire module system from the mod author to merge the sounds properly.

Argh I just seen your edit.  I posted in Saxondragon suggestion thread but I haven't seen a response yet so I really don't know if he noticed it.  I'll keep trying though as I would really like to get this in there.  Heh now the game just doesn't sound right without these in it, go figure  :lol:

I've asked saxondragon about getting the source. If I do get the source I will upload a compatible sounds.txt ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom