Next (unnamed) project discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

-Peter-

Master Knight
This project is still unnamed, if you have any suggestions for a name please post them.

Note: The next version of Britain 1297 is still being worked on and will be released well before this mod.

Concept - Fantasy clash between numerous Eurpoean civilizations that have been significant in history.

- Fantasy map. (Not Elves etc, just not a real area.)
- Five factions :
England
Scotland
Saxons
Teutons
Ancient Celts

I originally got the idea while thinking of a mod concept for the "What mod should Vilhjalmr make?" thread and have been wanting to do it for a while, but thought I'd get Britain done first. Gives me more chance to be creative and adds more of a variety to the game in my opinion.

Credits so far :-

James & Luigi - OSP Weapons
RR_Raptor65 - Roman armour and weaponry.

This sounds a bit like the Timeless Kingdoms Mod. They did a faction for every region of the world and put it on a make-believe map. I would sugest doing a specific region and time period i.e. Medieval Europe. Factions: England, France, Spain, HRE, etc.

Deyshawn said:
This sounds a bit like the Timeless Kingdoms Mod. They did a faction for every region of the world and put it on a make-believe map. I would sugest doing a specific region and time period i.e. Medieval Europe. Factions: England, France, Spain, HRE, etc.

Sounds like the map for Diplomacy.  :razz:

Hey, actually not a bad idea, put it in like the 13th-16th century, with Europe clashing around like brothers who can't decide who gets what piece of the pizza.

Don Doggy said:
Weren't the Normans actually Vikings/Northmen?

No, different era. The Normans originated from the Vikings who conquered Normandy but the Norman's and Viking's cultures were different. The Normans were the one's who took England from the Vikings.

For factions at the moment I'm thinking :-

England 13-14th Century
Scotland 13-14th Century
Normans 11th Century
Byzantines 11-12th Century, not sure about this one.
Incas/Mongols Undecided.

That's not final though, just what I'd prefer personally.

Na, Northmen was a term used for the Vikings, not the Normans as far as I know. Normans were Normans because of their origin (Normandy). Scandinavians were known as Norsemen (Northmen) because they came from the North.

Eumolpus said:
-Peter- said:
Incas/Mongols Undecided.
I would prefer the Mongols, of course, but the Incas would be much more interesting to play with.

I could include both. Incas or Aztecs as a faction and Mongols as a bandit party. I was thinking about including Romans and Crusaders as bandits also, just to add variation and instead of hiring them from villages, they'll be available as mercenaries.

-Peter- said:
Alright, I've been playing with this idea for a while and am basically wondering what you all think. It's basically a completely different setting for a mod, however it wouldn't mean doing the work all over again. Anyways, here's what I had in mind.

Concept - Fantasy clash between numerous civilizations that have been significant in history.

- Fantasy map. (Not Elves etc, just not a real area.)
- Five or so completely different factions. Scotland and England definitely being one. The others, maybe Aztecs, Mongols, Egyptians, Medieval French, Vikings, Saxons, Normans, Celts,  Romans, Saracens, Teutons, just a complete contrast.

I originally got the idea while thinking of a mod concept for the "What mod should Vilhjalmr make?" thread and have been wanting to do it for a while, but thought I'd get Britain done first. Gives me more chance to be creative and adds more of a variety to the game in my opinion.

Or I could just add France to the current mod, the only problem would be that the map would be much smaller.

Post your opinions, I'm still undecided.

All of those factions fighting together would be awesome.

-Peter- said:
Na, Northmen was a term used for the Vikings, not the Normans as far as I know. Normans were Normans because of their origin (Normandy). Scandinavians were known as Norsemen (Northmen) because they came from the North.

Eumolpus said:
-Peter- said:
Incas/Mongols Undecided.
I would prefer the Mongols, of course, but the Incas would be much more interesting to play with.

I could include both. Incas or Aztecs as a faction and Mongols as a bandit party. I was thinking about including Romans and Crusaders as bandits also, just to add variation and instead of hiring them from villages, they'll be available as mercenaries.

Are aware that Norman means Northman? And Normandy got it's name from Northmen who lived there?

I don't understand what you're trying to get at...Vikings and Normans are completely separate. Yes, Normans originated from the Vikings but you could say that for so many others as well.

Fair enough, but you could say the same for many English cities, towns or whatever, their names stretch back to the Roman era, that doesn't make their culture is still Roman. I'm not sure whether I've misread something or not because I seriously have no idea what the point is  :???:

-Peter- said:
Fair enough, but you could say the same for many English cities, towns or whatever, their names stretch back to the Roman era, that doesn't make their culture is still Roman. I'm not sure whether I've misread something or not because I seriously have no idea what the point is  :???:

The point was that Normans actually are the same people who were called Vikings

But they're completely different...200 or so years split between them and different cultures. Whether they were called Normans or Northmen at the time or not, if they're included in the mod, they'll be "Normans". It looks  like most people would like to see the Saxons instead of Vikings or Normans anyway so it doesn't really matter :razz:

Man I'd love to play Incas, their macemen were highly feared by the Spanish and Portuguese.

Here's a couple of screenshots of the Saxons, they're far from finished but just for the sake of showing the progress so far :-

sax3.jpg

sax2.jpg

sax1.jpg

There's 9 different shields, a banner and a few bits and bobs from the OSP pack so far. Quite tempted to switch the Saxons and Vikings so the Vikings are a faction and the Saxons a bandit party, not sure.

EDIT: Looking at them screenshots closely, the banner needs to be scaled down quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom