Historical Innacuracies / Bug reports

Users who are viewing this thread

Here is the detailed map I was talking about in my previous post. After saving, you can zoom the image and you can see the name of every city, town and village in detail.

img010.jpg

Got an RGL Error: Missing mesh when trying to enter the looting screen after a massacre on some english infanty. Latest version, all patches. Any more info you need let me know.

some of the characters you pick up in the tavern sometimes randomly talk about 'the khergits' and others when travelling.

and, yes many of the cities did not exist until later on  :lol:

Umm you might want to read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Moray and rethink Sir Andrew Moray. As far as I know he has never held Glasgow. The proper flag should be Azure, three stars argent, two and one.

William Douglas' flag should display Argent, on a chief azure, three stars of the field. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_William_Douglas_the_Hardy

I'm confused the title of the mod is Britain 1297 but in game it says 1257, and Robert I is King of Scotland who wasn't King until 1306. John de Balliol was King until 1296. Am I missing something?

I would like to see a little more research done as far as the Scottish are concerned. Including accurate land holdings, banners, and Scottish Gaelic Names. The information is out there. As much as wikipedia is reputed to be misleading it's more accurate than your current source if you have one. To be honest these were the first and only things I looked at and after seeing them decided not to play the mod. I would have liked to have seen the units and such, but I can't see the point in going any further.

I don't intend to be harshly critical I'm just surprised.

dear god...

this is more like braveheart. Scotsmen of the time wore 'norman' looking clothes not 'hollywood' fantasy clothes.

romansrule! said:
dear god...

this is more like braveheart. Scotsmen of the time wore 'norman' looking clothes not 'hollywood' fantasy clothes.

*Sigh* Read my post at the top of the page.

Just in-case you're unable to :-

@ Connal - Kilts and the Hollywood style Scots will stay, however the Scottish troop tree will be expanded so that there's 2 paths to go down, Lowland and Highland. Highland will be the kilt wearing, Hollywood style Scots and Lowland will be similar to the references you posted and some other I found on the interweb. Just so people can choose whether they want the Braveheart style Scots or the historically accurate ones. Or mix and match, depending on your preference.

There's also quite a few other posts dotted around addressing the subject, I KNOW that the Scottish equipment isn't historically accurate, I created them due to personal preference because at the end of the day, I  created this mod for myself as I wanted to play a Braveheart style mod. I even stated in the initial thread, download page and download thread;

The mod is not 100% historically accurate as certain features being less accurate make the mod more fun,

If this doesn't satisfy you then don't play the mod, simple as. Fair enough a bit of constructive criticism, but posting as if you're in complete disgust at my choice is completely daft. I didn't create this mod to suit you as an individual.

-Peter- said:
There's also quite a few other posts dotted around addressing the subject, I KNOW that the Scottish equipment isn't historically accurate, I created them due to personal preference because at the end of the day, I  created this mod for myself as I wanted to play a Braveheart style mod...

Change the name to Braveheart fantasy mod then IMO. The title suggests an aim at historical accuracy. People are expecting Britain in 1927 not Britain according to Mel.

I guess everyone should be thankful you don’t fancy the Welsh wearing purple and green space suits. :roll:
I guess if you did people would at least know that you were aiming for fantasy not reality.

Mr_Breeze said:
-Peter- said:
There's also quite a few other posts dotted around addressing the subject, I KNOW that the Scottish equipment isn't historically accurate, I created them due to personal preference because at the end of the day, I  created this mod for myself as I wanted to play a Braveheart style mod...

Change the name to Braveheart fantasy mod then IMO.

No.

I was quite surprised to see a black Highlander runnin at me... any chance of eliminating or changing the African/Middle eastern skins?

Sir Timothi said:
I was quite surprised to see a black Highlander runnin at me... any chance of eliminating or changing the African/Middle eastern skins?

Lol, that'll be fixed.

Peter il just hope u fix the RLG  unable to find mesh item error in the upcoming version ,or u cold make bugfix 3rd.Collection all bugs in the game ppl have writen

I believe there is a fix to that error if you look in the main download page.

Yep, here:

http://www.filedropper.com/11bugfix
or
http://www.filefactory.com/file/8fc8f4/n/1_1_Bugfix_rar

I've been playing this mod for several days and think I can provide some feedback now. First of all, I must say I like the mod (otherwise I wouldn't post anything here  :wink:) and hope it gets even better. Apart from inaccuracies already mentioned by other members, I'd like to point out some others I've noticed so far. Of course, I'm no expert on Britain of that period and much of the info comes from readings on that subject, so anyone better informed may feel free to correct.

- highland archers are armed with nomad bows of the native while AFAIK Scots used longbows, though didn't have longbomen in sufficient numbers. Moreover, their archery skill in the game seems far too high as compared to other archers of the same level

* The bowmen in general are too heavily armed, at least for the period

* The black spangenhelm IMO would be too ancient for the time

* Scottish lords should wear armor of better quality than most do, especially heraldic surcoats and contemporary helmets.

* The overall weather conditions could also be redone to more characterisitc of the region

I'll post more if I spot. I also have some suggestions which I'll post in the related topic.

Cheers  :wink:

About the spangenhelm Im sure people still crafted them in small numbers, just because it was used a few hundred years back doesn't mean it cant be used then :smile: also, weapons/armor where passed down generations due to the high cost + technology (weapons/armor) didn't advance as fast as it does nowadays so it would still provide good head protection.

I meant that Dark Ages black helmet. It would be way outdated by the period. Moreover, it probably belonged to some chieftain and hardly could have been so widespread. As for spangenhelms in general, yes, they could have continued to be used (at least, they figure in some reconstructions).

But, again, in small numbers and certainly not by knights, as in the mod. Another outdated helmet there is the open-faced flat-topped helm. These had long ago evolved into great helms. Of the latter, IMO, more models could be implemented. Also, the claymores are believed to have appeared around the late 15th century, earliest (!)

The flat-top helm isn't that innapropriate. It was an outdated style, but only by a century or so, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that lower level knights would use it.

About the great helms, definitely they're the best type of helm for use by knights in this period. Couched's knight mod has a few different styles that would fit the bill. I might have a bash at making some great helms, I'm considering trying to make a historically accurate Wars of Independence mod.

If you have medieval 2, have a look at the scottish troops there. Generally, Strong Pikemen, Shock infantry, and poor archers and almost non-existant cavalry.

I live 10 miles from aviemore and dalwhinnie in the map. I know that Aviemore didn't exist then and Dalwhinnie is barely the size of my thumbnail. Infact none of the towns around where I live existed at that time. I would leave that as a blank area. Also, where are the Cairngorms? These mighty hills are a big open plain! The only tundra area left in Britain and it's non-existing.

Yigit said:
- highland archers are armed with nomad bows of the native while AFAIK Scots used longbows, though didn't have longbomen in sufficient numbers. Moreover, their archery skill in the game seems far too high as compared to other archers of the same level

The Scots who used Longbows where under service as mercenaries to France. Only a small elite though. Scottish Archers are poor, and should get no better than ShortBows. But this is all Peter's choice.

Eh... William Wallace is an entirely French name for a start. And 'tartan' isn't thousands of years old - patterns similar to it are, but they're not much like the modern tartans people think of. The 'tartans' you reference are just checkered cloth, there's nothing special about them, and there's no historical evidence for proper tartan as we understand it until the late 16th century. The law that got rid of the 'old kilt' was in the 18th century. There's nothing to suggest highlanders wore anything identifiable as a kilt before the 16th century at the latest. Proper 'Highland dress' before this time would probably have been the Irish style léine and brat - many sources attest to this. Try reading these two links:
https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/scottish.php?s=&c=8&d=117&e=&f=&g=&a=135&w=2
https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/scottish.php?s=&c=8&d=117&e=&f=&g=&a=134&w=2

Back
Top Bottom