Author Topic: Historical Innacuracies / Bug reports  (Read 26510 times)

-Peter-

• View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • M&BWBVC
Re: Historical Innacuracies / Bug reports
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 01:06:25 PM »
Gonna sticky this thread so I don't lose sight of it again. I'll be putting a lot more effort into making the next version in terms of historical accuracy. The new version will be Britain 1300 or something for the sake of feeling like time has actually passed since the last one, so if any of the information post would be different 3 years on, please tell me.

@ Connal - Kilts and the Hollywood style Scots will stay, however the Scottish troop tree will be expanded so that there's 2 paths to go down, Lowland and Highland. Highland will be the kilt wearing, Hollywood style Scots and Lowland will be similar to the references you posted and some other I found on the interweb. Just so people can choose whether they want the Braveheart style Scots or the historically accurate ones. Or mix and match, depending on your preference.

@ Pheonix - London won't be added, however Winchester will be swapped for Westminster which was my original intention, but I got mixed up when creating the map. That said, Westminster is in London, but it's where Longshanks' castle/palace was I think.

Phoenix

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 04:54:50 PM »
I have to say, I know the kilts were inaccurate for the time, but it still looks good  8-)

Also, I think you should lower the strength of the Irish and Welsh slightly so they don't have such strong armour. I would have thought Irish would have been similar to the Scots armour but I may be wrong. It also gives England a slight advantage as they have 3 enemies to contend with.

-Peter-

• View Profile
  • M&BWBVC
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 04:58:40 PM »
I have to say, I know the kilts were inaccurate for the time, but it still looks good  8-)

Also, I think you should lower the strength of the Irish and Welsh slightly so they don't have such strong armour. I would have thought Irish would have been similar to the Scots armour but I may be wrong. It also gives England a slight advantage as they have 3 enemies to contend with.

Don't worry the Irish are being completely re-done with the help of OBrian. I'll most likely work on the Welsh as well before the next release, I could use some reference pictures though.

Sannyboy1

• Recruit
  • Join Forgotten Honor today! www.forgottenhonor.com
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 05:38:40 PM »
Noticed several errors with the Scotland map...

1. Livingston didn't exist until the 1960s, and even then it's much closer to Edinburgh than it is on the map.

2. Balmoral Castle didn't exist until the end of the 14th century.

3. Fraserburgh is misplaced - it's a famous fishing town, hard to do much fishing when you're nowhere near any seas. In real life it's to the North of Aberdeen. It also didn't exist, at least under that name, until well after this time period.

4. Stonehaven's geographic position is also wrong, it should be on the coast, although it's North/South location is about right.

5. Castle Douglas didn't exist, at least under that name, until the 18th century.

6. Aviemore is misspelled 'AvieRmore', and is also wrongly placed. It didn't exist at this time anyway.

7. Ullapool didn't really exist in this period.

8. Cawdor Castle wasn't built until late in the 14th century. You should rename it Rothes Castle, there was a castle there by this name.

9. As far as I can see, the only Carbisdale Castle that exists is one built in the 20th century.

10. Gairloch is wrongly spelled Gairlock.

11. Dalwhinnie and Aberfeldy don't appear to have existed before the 18th century.

There are probably more along this line, but that's as many as I can be be bothered to check for now.

The choice of towns/villages in general seems to be fairly random. There are some pretty notable places missing... Inverness, Perth, and Dundee should be there (as villages at least), and Dunfermline also, since it was a much more important town then than it is now, being Scotland's capital for most of the Medieval period. Falkirk's a very noticable absentee, given that one of the key battles of Wallace's campaign was fought there. Stirling should really be a town, although I can maybe see why it was made a castle given the way M&B works.
Thankgod someone noticed

Agent Griff

• Master Knight
  • As High as Honour
    • View Profile
  • M&B
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 03:00:47 PM »
@ Pheonix - London won't be added, however Winchester will be swapped for Westminster which was my original intention, but I got mixed up when creating the map. That said, Westminster is in London, but it's where Longshanks' castle/palace was I think.

Westminster was not in London itself during that time, since in 1297 London was still a walled city. Westminster was actually a few miles upriver of London but yes, it was quickly becoming the favoured residence of English kings and in the time of Edward's son and heir, Edward, it shall also become a place of administration. And seeing as this is in 1297, Edward the Younger of Caernarvon was 13 years old. He did campaign with his father, Edward I, in Scotland several times but should he be a lord in-game at this age?

Also, if you wish, I can provide you with a very detailed map of all the English holdings at this time, such as Lincoln, Warwick, Tewkesbury and so forth, going on to places I don't think you've ever heard of (I surely didn't before reading the map).
"Most people think time is like a river, that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I am, or why I say this. Sit down, and I will tell you a tale like none that you have ever heard."

Agent Griff

• Master Knight
  • As High as Honour
    • View Profile
  • M&B
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 08:36:25 PM »
Here is the detailed map I was talking about in my previous post. After saving, you can zoom the image and you can see the name of every city, town and village in detail.

"Most people think time is like a river, that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I am, or why I say this. Sit down, and I will tell you a tale like none that you have ever heard."

kallek

• Veteran
    • View Profile
  • WBWF&SNW
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 06:09:23 PM »
Got an RGL Error: Missing mesh when trying to enter the looting screen after a massacre on some english infanty. Latest version, all patches. Any more info you need let me know.

romansrule!

• Veteran
  • People said i was pale so i got this neat helmet
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • WBWF&S
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 04:01:03 PM »
some of the characters you pick up in the tavern sometimes randomly talk about 'the khergits' and others when travelling.

and, yes many of the cities did not exist until later on  :lol:

Mr_Breeze

• Veteran
    • View Profile
  • M&B
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 10:40:19 AM »
 Umm you might want to read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Moray and rethink Sir Andrew Moray. As far as I know he has never held Glasgow. The proper flag should be Azure, three stars argent, two and one.

William Douglas' flag should display Argent, on a chief azure, three stars of the field. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_William_Douglas_the_Hardy

I'm confused the title of the mod is Britain 1297 but in game it says 1257, and Robert I is King of Scotland who wasn't King until 1306. John de Balliol was King until 1296. Am I missing something?

I would like to see a little more research done as far as the Scottish are concerned. Including accurate land holdings, banners, and Scottish Gaelic Names. The information is out there. As much as wikipedia is reputed to be misleading it's more accurate than your current source if you have one. To be honest these were the first and only things I looked at and after seeing them decided not to play the mod. I would have liked to have seen the units and such, but I can't see the point in going any further.

I don't intend to be harshly critical I'm just surprised.

romansrule!

• Veteran
  • People said i was pale so i got this neat helmet
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • WBWF&S
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2008, 09:51:27 PM »
dear god...

this is more like braveheart. Scotsmen of the time wore 'norman' looking clothes not 'hollywood' fantasy clothes.

-Peter-

• View Profile
  • M&BWBVC
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2008, 10:03:44 PM »
dear god...

this is more like braveheart. Scotsmen of the time wore 'norman' looking clothes not 'hollywood' fantasy clothes.

*Sigh* Read my post at the top of the page.

Just in-case you're unable to :-

@ Connal - Kilts and the Hollywood style Scots will stay, however the Scottish troop tree will be expanded so that there's 2 paths to go down, Lowland and Highland. Highland will be the kilt wearing, Hollywood style Scots and Lowland will be similar to the references you posted and some other I found on the interweb. Just so people can choose whether they want the Braveheart style Scots or the historically accurate ones. Or mix and match, depending on your preference.

There's also quite a few other posts dotted around addressing the subject, I KNOW that the Scottish equipment isn't historically accurate, I created them due to personal preference because at the end of the day, I  created this mod for myself as I wanted to play a Braveheart style mod. I even stated in the initial thread, download page and download thread;

The mod is not 100% historically accurate as certain features being less accurate make the mod more fun,

If this doesn't satisfy you then don't play the mod, simple as. Fair enough a bit of constructive criticism, but posting as if you're in complete disgust at my choice is completely daft. I didn't create this mod to suit you as an individual.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 10:12:09 PM by -Peter- »

Mr_Breeze

• Veteran
    • View Profile
  • M&B
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2008, 06:25:44 AM »

There's also quite a few other posts dotted around addressing the subject, I KNOW that the Scottish equipment isn't historically accurate, I created them due to personal preference because at the end of the day, I  created this mod for myself as I wanted to play a Braveheart style mod...

Change the name to Braveheart fantasy mod then IMO. The title suggests an aim at historical accuracy. People are expecting Britain in 1927 not Britain according to Mel.

I guess everyone should be thankful you don’t fancy the Welsh wearing purple and green space suits. :roll:
I guess if you did people would at least know that you were aiming for fantasy not reality.

-Peter-

• View Profile
  • M&BWBVC
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2008, 04:32:11 PM »

There's also quite a few other posts dotted around addressing the subject, I KNOW that the Scottish equipment isn't historically accurate, I created them due to personal preference because at the end of the day, I  created this mod for myself as I wanted to play a Braveheart style mod...

Change the name to Braveheart fantasy mod then IMO.

No.

Sir Timothi

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2008, 10:48:26 AM »
I was quite surprised to see a black Highlander runnin at me... any chance of eliminating or changing the African/Middle eastern skins?

-Peter-

• View Profile
  • M&BWBVC
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2008, 02:09:11 PM »
I was quite surprised to see a black Highlander runnin at me... any chance of eliminating or changing the African/Middle eastern skins?

Lol, that'll be fixed.