Why two english factions?

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveDaDude

Squire
I havent read any reason for this, the only thing i can think of, is that you wanted two sets of faction lords focusing on wales/ireland and scotland seperatley?  :?:

by the way great mod, the crusader armor is definatley a highlight !  :mrgreen:

Well it would be pretty hard for just one faction to fight three people, plus there's only one marshal, so that would mean only one campaign and several other small skirmishes and battles with the enemy, which would just tie the factions down on one side, but it would leave an open gap in the other side.

True, but i mean wales and Ireland could be at temporary peace with England, or randomly be at war with them or each other.   

I guess it doesnt matter anyway, wiping out the english army will do for people who dont like the idea.

I done it so England would be much harder to conquer, hence making it so Ireland and the English army should be at war to begin with. Otherwise if there was 3 factions teaming up against England it wouldn't really reflect on how powerful they were at that time. Plus it made it easier and made more sense in my mind to have the English army as the ones situated in the semi-conquered countries as there still wasn't complete peace at that time.

Wouldnt having all that territory, and that many more lords be enough of an advantage for the English?  Im not complaining or telling you how you should make your mod or anything im just curious,  and slightly frustrated that english army lords cant follow me, and dont assist me or other lords when were attacked by a huge stack right next to them  :???: 

The problem is that the only way that factions can take a castle without player interaction is by gathering up an army. if the English were merged, it'd be 3v1, and many English castles would fall for a small loss of non English ones.

I think the problem is with the core game itself: factions can either be netural or at war. There's no allying

It's rather dificult to get make the game start with less than 5 factions. You would have to erase all mention of the faction in the module system which would be a *****.

In my game the English are in state of civilian war.
The English army are fighting the Kingdom of England.
So I would vote for 1 bigger and stronger faction.

Higgings said:
wasn't there a baron revolt at the time then? i mean that happens before wallace and it would be great english knights ramming each other the heads in and then the scottish
who kill everyone muhahahah but wasn't it then?

Higgings said:

I thought it was odd when I first started the game and saw the two English factions. Unless there's a way to prevent this (quoted, the two fighting each other) then there shouldn't be two English factions. The fact that they'd be too widespread is mute because they're not all at war with England and even if they are there's plenty of troops. If you want to keep things even, cut off the very bottom access to the mainland so that there's only 2 enemies for England on the right side of the map to contend with.

-Peter- said:
I done it so England would be much harder to conquer, hence making it so Ireland and the English army should be at war to begin with. Otherwise if there was 3 factions teaming up against England it wouldn't really reflect on how powerful they were at that time. Plus it made it easier and made more sense in my mind to have the English army as the ones situated in the semi-conquered countries as there still wasn't complete peace at that time.
That's very cool, because the English Army has just declared war on the English in my game.

Much harder to conquer? Now every faction but the Wales is at war with the English. O.0

Instead of having two English factions, it would make sense for there to be two Scottish factions, something like a Scottish 'Nobles' and a Scottish 'Rebels' faction - the rebels would always be at war with England, while the Nobles would either fight against the English, or fight against the Rebels. The names aren't perfect, since in real life the rebels also contained nobles, but it would more accurately represent the situation in Scotland, where the bulk of the nobility alternated between subserviance and rebellion. There wasn't any English civil war in this period that I know of, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to have two English factions that can fight each other. Of course, no solution is perfect unless it's possible to exert greater control over faction diplomacy than has so far been seen. You could have various nonsensical situations, such as the Scottish Nobles fighting against both the English and the Scottish Rebels, or the Scottish Rebels fighting the English and the Scots Nobles while the latter was also fighting the English.

Aethelred said:
Instead of having two English factions, it would make sense for there to be two Scottish factions, something like a Scottish 'Nobles' and a Scottish 'Rebels' faction - the rebels would always be at war with England, while the Nobles would either fight against the English, or fight against the Rebels. The names aren't perfect, since in real life the rebels also contained nobles, but it would more accurately represent the situation in Scotland, where the bulk of the nobility alternated between subserviance and rebellion. There wasn't any English civil war in this period that I know of, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to have two English factions that can fight each other. Of course, no solution is perfect unless it's possible to exert greater control over faction diplomacy than has so far been seen. You could have various nonsensical situations, such as the Scottish Nobles fighting against both the English and the Scottish Rebels, or the Scottish Rebels fighting the English and the Scots Nobles while the latter was also fighting the English.

I agree. Scottish Rebels and Scottish Nobles would work great in this mod. Excuse my unfamiliarity with the subject, but at least for those who're only familiar with the Wars of Scottish Independence through Braveheart (such as myself  :oops:), it'd make perfect sense. You know like how those Scottish Noblemen betrayed Wallace?

Like Gerontis suggested, the English Army "rebelling" against the Kingdom of England could simulate a barons' revolt. Although the actual Second Barons' War ended 30 years prior to the mod's setting. But, hey, it's a game. I suggest that the English Army be renamed into the "English Barons" and Kingdom of England renamed into "Royal England". That way there's an implication that Royal England is directly under Longshanks' rule while the English Barons are semi-independent/on campaign.

Sanzo84 said:
Like Gerontis suggested, the English Army "rebelling" against the Kingdom of England could simulate a barons' revolt. Although the actual Second Barons' War ended 30 years prior to the mod's setting. But, hey, it's a game. I suggest that the English Army be renamed into the "English Barons" and Kingdom of England renamed into "Royal England". That way there's an implication that Royal England is directly under Longshanks' rule while the English Barons are semi-independent/on campaign.

Cheers for the post, I done a bit of research on the war and that's exactly what's gonna happen in the next version as it's gonna be 1276 so it's closer to the actual civil war and basically England as a whole will be much more vunerable; Norwegian invaders on the coasts, Scotland united, Llywelyn ap Gruffydd controlling the majority of Wales and posing a threat to England, the possibility of a civil war and Ireland will pretty much be the same in terms of situation, just completely re-done.

romansrule! said:
the barons own a big ol chunk of ireland then

The loyalty of ostensibly 'English' vassals in Ireland was questionable anyway. They were as often allying with native Irish as they were serving the English. They were really more a faction unto themselves, except those in the Pale.

you can't set the english/english faction relation as per
  ("kingdom_2",  "Kingdom of England",    0, 0.9, [("outlaws",-0.05),("peasant_rebels", -0.1),("deserters", -0.02),("mountain_bandits", -0.05),("kingdom_1", 1)], [], 0x33DD33),

????

Let me see if I got this right; There are two english factions? English army and English kingdom?
Umm, I think that it doesn't have to be two factions, when the English army belongs to the English kingdom.

Back
Top Bottom