Best-dressed Warrior

Users who are viewing this thread

Zilberfrid said:
There were, it was a small band of knights held in high regard by Charlemagne.

the palatini (palatinae) were officials. Judges if you like. Not some fanatical knights like this goon imagined (seriously, look at the picture he posted.).

Gods, quote your posts please.  :mad: I thought Mr. Zil was responding to the Sassanid cavalry thing being adapted by normans, not the paladin stuff.

Merlkir said:
Zilberfrid said:
There were, it was a small band of knights held in high regard by Charlemagne.

the palatini (palatinae) were officials. Judges if you like. Not some fanatical knights like this goon imagined (seriously, look at the picture he posted.).

Yes,but there is also the account of the blind behemian (?) noble who rode into battle strapped to his most trusted knights, they are referred to as paladins as well.

He means John of Luxembourg (a king of bohemia, but he wasn't a bohemian.)who died at Crecy. And his bodyguards are not titled as paladins, at least not in any sources I've read.
The paladin thing as most people think about it is a matter of romantic tales such as the one of Roland. And I think it has not much to do with reality.

funnily enough, legiones palatinae of the late roman army would look like this :wink: :grin:

lateromartf3.jpg

Merlkir said:
An4Sh said:
Cloud Breaker said:
No Asians?
Lovely.
To be honest the Asians have absolutely the worst military fashion sense the world has ever seen.

oh really? well, the japanese and the chinese wore some crazy stuff into battle, but to dismiss asia as a whole like this is ridiculous. Again, persians, namely Sassanids wore stuff the norman knights "discovered" centuries later.
There may be a few exceptions I never said ALL of them looked horrible. -.-

diehard_angle.jpg

Crisp and clean, funny hats, great colour choices... British Victorian troops win the "best dressed warriors ever" award, hands down.

Merlkir said:
Well, I used to like Spartans, I used to like Knights in plate armour....but now, the most kickass and best looking soldiers are late roman ones for me.

Holy **** those are romans? Wow.
Naridill, that guy with the spear in your viking pic has a "gay flamboyant" head so he doesn't count.

South-Western Asia had some real military fashions, but East Asia is screwed, South-East Asia a pale copy of the above, the Indian subcontinent is just plain crazy, and in North Asia the climate tends to dictate fashion. In short, Asia is just not as good-looking as Europe, in general.

Not necessarily my favourites, but I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Landsknechts yet.
3ec4ac729639c0792f286068f92e8467.jpg

a96c1500eb10e893416e920cb33a3302.jpg
thumb_M33-Rockmed-35.jpg

oh, yeah! the men in tights with silly hats. I wonder why nobody mentioned them :grin:

nah, 17th century officers look way more extravagant than all of these.

silk and velvet lined waistcoat? a really expensive overcoat?
look at those fabulous leather boots! they're just fierce.
and their gold trimmed tricorne is also nicer than any other hat.

their outfits weren't regulated so they didn't all look the same, either.
all tailored specifically

do6p0l.png

and these are just the british. no offense, of course, but the french and german officers looked much nicer.

edit: the reason i don't say landsknetchts is that they're too gay in their attire. they wore tights just by themselves, nothing hanging over the waist, which is too fabulous even for me.

Man, this is some topic. Three pages in one day, in the Sage's Guild. Wow.

Anyway. I admit I love Vikings, but I wouldn't say they were well-dressed. It looks nice, but it's by no means perfect.

I'd say some sort of chivalric knight would be best dressed. Efficient, effective, and kind of fashionable, too. I mean crusaders through late 1400s here.

Also, I do like a nice Greek.

However, I'd have to say Beowulf wins for most uniquely dressed warrior. That is, no armour, hardly a weapon, and mainly brute strength. And he looks like an early Viking.

As for specific pieces, I love Romano-Briton helms. I made one, and I loved it. Damn sexy.

Also, I like this guy:
war13.jpg

Okay, I think I'm done.

cool_guy said:
nah, 17th century officers look way more extravagant than all of these.

silk and velvet lined waistcoat? a really expensive overcoat?
look at those fabulous leather boots! they're just fierce.
and their gold trimmed tricorne is also nicer than any other hat.

The cavalier style used earlier was better IMO.  One of reasons for wearing such ridiculous wigs could be that those are better than the helmets.

Back
Top Bottom