[SoT] Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Wheem said:
I would suggest changing the language used entirely to English. While some people might like the flavor of Gaellic names/words used in the mod, I think the majority will see it as a hassle. It's nearly impossible to tell what an army is composed of, and even leveling up yourself and your companions can be somewhat of an annoyance (I know the general area of most skills since I've played native, but I still sometimes have to click around to find the thing that I want to raise). It will be impossible for most people to tell whether they're facing a high quality, infantry heavy army, or a rag tag group of low quality archer deserters; which can cause some playability issues.

The more I read of this mod, the more I like it.
Excellent job Kolba.

But I have to agree with the above. Most historic mods that use ethnic troop names are a nightmare to play when it comes to identifying troops. Try playing Rus XIII mod and while I'm sure you'll have no problem with Polish ones, try to make sense of Mongol troops. Should I upgrade that peasant to "Sumbure Tlesco" or "Dramgule Henko" (ok, I just made this up, but you see the point)? In essence every warrior is describable in English. Footman, archer, light horseman, etc, so it should be kept this way. "Irish Light Raider", "Briton Clan Swordsman", "Saxon Levy Spearman", etc would work fine. You can't expect people to print out readme files and have them by their computer while playing, to identify each troop in the troop tree...

For historic education, you can drop ethnic names in dialogues. For example "I spoke to our Dunflath, what we call a chief, and he allows you entry into the fort..." or "Gasraidha, the Irish rabble, have been raiding our village...", etc.

Like Rus XIII mod put historical weapon descriptions to the inventory, you can also put to your items, so that original names of various weapons and shields can be learned...

As to language of units, why don't you do both.

I like the cultural flavour. Why do a mod based on a culture or time period  if you avoid that culture? At the same time I have often found myself a little confused by strange words that I don't understand.

How about titles like "Helwyr archers" or "Tuelu horsemen" or "fyrd spearmen" or "theign warriors"?  Honestly I don't know much about this mod yet and I'm not sure if my examples are all relevant but the idea is there. I might not know that a theign is supposed to be a badass, but when I see the word 'warrior' it gives me a good hint. This will work especailly well if you use the word warrior consistantly across faction to refer to strong infantry units. You could also use the same word but have multiple versions of it like "fyrd recruit", "Fyrd spearman", "fyrd skirmisher". I could easily guess that the recruit is the basic unit that the spearman is a melee upgrade, and that the skirmisher is a more ranged upgrade....

with a little English hint it will:

1 Give the player a basic idea of the type of troop. If he's upgrading he'll have an idea of what he's turning the troop into. If he's facing an enemy He'll have an idea of what to expect as well. There will be some trail and error but that's maybe part of the fun no?

2 The little hints will help a player distinguish one funny spelled thing that starts with an "H" from another funny spelled word that starts with an "H". Sometimes putting things in context can improve the rate of learning.

that's just my 2 cents!

A suggestion I'd quite like to see is having all spears treated like lances when it comes to how they appear on your character - that is, they should disappear when not equipped. I know that's a little weird, but it's a whole hell of a lot less weird than having a massive spear stuck to your back while you're throwing javelins, riding a horse or fighting with a sword. I presume that's just a change of some attribute in the item editor?

Totally random thought, but some armour of this sort would be nice for most cultures as a mid point between padding and mail:

n1610508678_121378_827.jpg

n1584760341_36535_4163.jpg

Presumably it would be worn over padding and a tunic, and is basically a less elaborate version of a late Roman muscle cuirass. There is a lot of speculation that these were used in post Roman Britain - a lot of reconstructions of Sutton Hoo show the shoulder clasps being used on armour a little like this.

Is that leather?  If it is, I thought that the general consensus was that leather "plate" so to speak wasn't used, as it is too easy to crack when it's hardened and used in large surfaces.

The Romans certainly used leather breastplates for their officers. Not sure what you mean by "plate" - I think this stuff is wet moulded, but not boiled to absolute solidity.

Spongly said:
Totally random thought, but some armour of this sort would be nice for most cultures as a mid point between padding and mail:

n1610508678_121378_827.jpg

n1584760341_36535_4163.jpg

Presumably it would be worn over padding and a tunic, and is basically a less elaborate version of a late Roman muscle cuirass. There is a lot of speculation that these were used in post Roman Britain - a lot of reconstructions of Sutton Hoo show the shoulder clasps being used on armour a little like this.

Yes, we have a plan of making such armor for Britons and Angles (I'm not sure that Gaels used it and of course I won't give it to Picts).

Cool. I like the fact that every time I think of something that would make this mod even better, it's either already in or already planned!

Thanks. Speaking of additions, I've changed a bit spears to fit your above suggestions.  :smile:

The Romans certainly used leather breastplates for their officers.

I was under the impression that theory had been debunked.  I could, and most likely, am wrong though.  Just wondering what your sources are so I can add them to my collection.

And I know "leather plate" was a bad phrase but I couldn't think of anything better.  That is interesting about it not being completely hardboiled

If you want I can ask any other questions in PMs, so as not to clutter up the board.

Cheers
Kvedulf

I was thinking about the scene props, adding like ruins in the middle of battlefield, like you could order your men to stay there and defend it or use it as cover..

We already thought about that. Something similiar was made in RPGmod where you could move your party to local farm/ruins/bridge or build small entrenchments (spelling?) and fight around the scene props.

Back
Top Bottom