0.960 Porting thread. (No Longer porting to 0.960)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
New armours, tunics and shields for the Saxon and Danish Factions:

Maille Coats:

Maille Shirts:

Padded Jacks:

Padded Cloth:

Maille Shirts with Fur Pelt:

Padded Jacks with Fur Pelt:

Maille Shirts with Cloak:

Padded Jacks with Cloak:

Padded Cloth with Cloak:

Pattern Edged Tunics:

Tunics with Cloak:

Plain Wooden Shields:

Wooden Shields with Iron Boss:

Wooden Shields with Iron Boss and Rim:

Currently I'm working on some 'King's Maille' and then it's on to the Briton/Welsh armours and shields.

Those look great, Markus. Can't wait to see what you're doing with the Welsh/Britons.

King's Maille sounds great. But maybe it should be called the Earl's Maille? Or Lord's? Jarl's? Since its unlikely that the King would stand in the shield wall or do much 'adventuring', those would be more likely people to wear practical mail. Your call, just my gut reaction! :grin:

The nature of all the society's at the time meant that the leaders had to lead from the front. At ashingdon Alfred lead his troops from the shield wall. The king had to lead by example or he would lose the respect of his subjects

Edit: Hey Markus how about some black equipment for Guthrum, you know keeping with the Cornwell theme

Sweet! Especially the padded cloth (and others) with cloak! How did you rig that cloak? Static or attached to bones in some way?

Njiekovic said:
Sweet! Especially the padded cloth (and others) with cloak! How did you rig that cloak? Static or attached to bones in some way?

I believe it's a reskin of one of the Native nobleman outfits, which has a cloak. It's attached to the skeleton, I believe.

Haakon said:
King's Maille sounds great. But maybe it should be called the Earl's Maille? Or Lord's? Jarl's? Since its unlikely that the King would stand in the shield wall or do much 'adventuring', those would be more likely people to wear practical mail. Your call, just my gut reaction! :grin:

King's Maille is simply a term. It'll just be a more elaborate form of a mail coat, with lots of embellishment and rather expensive as a result.

Orj said:
Njiekovic said:

I believe it's a reskin of one of the Native nobleman outfits, which has a cloak. It's attached to the skeleton, I believe.

Orj is correct, I used one from native that I can't remember the name of right now.

blood of the North said:
Edit: Hey Markus how about some black equipment for Guthrum, you know keeping with the Cornwell theme

The Cornwell link is pretty weak, and I figure there's probably enough mail varients in the game at the moment, sorry.

Markus II said:

... and then it's on to the Briton/Welsh armours and shields.

Good work! And thank you very much for making Briton specific armours and shields.

Did Britons still have rectangular tower shields (from the Roman days) at this time or had they switched to the round shields?

Ahh, that all looks so awesome. Roughly how close is the porting process to being finished? I really can't wait to try this. If it's a while I might well look to download .903 to give this a go.

TekTatorV said:
Markus II said:

Good work! And thank you very much for making Briton specific armours and shields.

Did Britons still have rectangular tower shields (from the Roman days) at this time or had they switched to the round shields?

No. The rectangular shields weren't even used for the last several hundred years of the Roman Empire. The Welsh of this period seem to have used simple round shields much like the Saxons.

Spongly said:
TekTatorV said:
Markus II said:

No. The rectangular shields weren't even used for the last several hundred years of the Roman Empire. The Welsh of this period seem to have used simple round shields much like the Saxons.

Are you talking after Gratian? Would the outlining 'hot' areas like Briton have retained some of the old armours?

Anyway, that makes sense. I was mostly hoping that they retained the old shields. Thanks for the info.

Have you been thinking about putting more variety of weapons? Namely more axe and spear models (they all look the same, especially in the shops), more kinds of throwing weapons, and a new bow or two.

You're doing a damn great job, I love your mod. Those new armors and shields look awesome. Can't wait for you to finish the porting process.

Ok, i've done a bunch of new armours for the Briton faction. After much contemplation, I've decided to use a tartan-style texture on most. I realise that this might have some members screaming in rage, but I think it the best choice on aesthetic grounds.

Anyways, the new armours:

briton1er8.jpg

briton3oq3.jpg

briton2rf7.jpg

briton4oh8.jpg

Morran said:
Have you been thinking about putting more variety of weapons? Namely more axe and spear models (they all look the same, especially in the shops), more kinds of throwing weapons, and a new bow or two.

You're doing a damn great job, I love your mod. Those new armors and shields look awesome. Can't wait for you to finish the porting process.

There's not a great deal more that can be done with the weapons, Stoned-dude did a pretty exhaustive job covering the weapons documented in the period.

Woo, nipples  :smile:
The only thing I have against the 'tartan' style is you can see a lot of skin.
And the skin doesn't look so good. It's sort of plastic-like. But that might just be me.

Otherwise it's looking mighty great.

Adorno said:
And the skin doesn't look so good. It's sort of plastic-like. But that might just be me.

Hmm, the skin is the same as the Native texture (for bare chests) and the shader is the same too.

What do others think?

Idk i still think that the Brits weren't absolute barbarians... they knew that if they got hit with a sword on bare skin it would hurt.  Maybe some kind of primitive chain mail with large chain links for they upper level soldiers.  But aside from that they look great.  Maybe someone could prove me wrong...

Thanks a lot   

Markus II said:
Adorno said:

Hmm, the skin is the same as the Native texture (for bare chests) and the shader is the same too.

What do others think?
I know it's the native skin. I just don't think it looks so good. But skin is generally really difficult to make lifelike.
The armours look absolutely great, especially the ones with check pattern.

I think they look very nice. The skin under the cloth is just fine.
But the cloth only is good merely for the unarmed peasants.

Some more proper armour for warriors is in order.
If they were properly armoured in the Roman times, there's no reason to think they lost the skill to make proper armours several centuries later. Perhaps rather the opposite.
They were fearsome fighters even centuries later the timeperiod of this mod. Recall the difficulties English kings had with pacifying Wales...
I suggest some distinctive Briton helmets, scale armour and metal-reinforced leather.

Celtic helmets:
celtic-helmet-front.jpg

helmet_celtic.jpg

Roman period Briton Warriors:
briton001.jpg

54-150.jpg

Ancient Celtic warrior:
image018.png

Romano-Britons:
celthors.jpg

britons1.jpg

britons2.jpg