Multithreading in Bannerlord / Recommended CPU

Users who are viewing this thread

mutex

Recruit
How multi-threaded is the reworked game engine in Bannerlord?

I'm currently on a 4c/8t CPU and I would like to know if Bannerlord will be able take full advantage of an 8c/16t CPU or if it's still heavily single-threaded.

Dev Blog 14/09/17 said:
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord relies even more on CPU usage than Warband. Hundreds of characters, more advanced animations, an Inverse Kinematics system, individual AI, formation AI, combat calculations, (which do not change in respect to distance or visibility,) and many other requirements really increase the burden on the CPU. In order to accommodate this, our optimisation efforts are more heavily focused on the CPU. We generally try to use Data Oriented Design, which enables us to achieve high amounts of parallelism and core usage. Currently, 60-70% of the frame is fully parallel, which means it can, and will, use all of the cores of current and next gen CPUs for the foreseeable future, (the old engine generally used to use 1, or at most 2 cores.) This means that as new, higher core count CPUs begin to emerge, Bannerlord will scale well with the new hardware and players will be able to test bigger and denser battles. Currently our aim for battle sizes on current generation high end gaming CPUs is at 800 characters, at 60FPS.

Nice! I will seriously consider getting a 3700X then (or 3900X) to replace my current 6700K once Bannerlord launches.

Doesn't the imminent release of Bannerlord put you in the mood to upgrade? :grin:

The 8c/12t AMD 2700X might be an option! Not expensive and really good if what counts for Bannerlord is core count.

mutex said:
Doesn't the imminent release of Bannerlord put you in the mood to upgrade? :grin:

The 8c/12t AMD 2700X might be an option! Not expensive and really good if what counts for Bannerlord is core count.

Might still be no better overall than a 3600 due to the architectural and process improvements of the latter.

Then again the 2700X is cheaper and has a better cooler...

If possible, wait and see!

(Oh, and you made a typo -- the 2700X is 8c/16t, of course)

Back
Top Bottom