Dev Blog 05/12/19

Users who are viewing this thread

6ba40c0e1ec85b110b319a58955d975bbdc72835.jpg

Medieval kingdoms were fraught with internal power struggles, and in many instances, the most powerful people in a realm didn’t sit directly on the throne. Instead, they wielded their influence to shape the kingdom in their image or changed the course of history completely by throwing their weight behind sweeping changes that eroded the power of those above them.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/132

Last edited by a moderator:
A sponsor is normally a guy who back you with money, person forwarding a legislative ide what is a supporter or a support (maybe supporter is a wrong term) ?... They are more than supporters in the overall world but for each decisions they are supporters or not of the choice to make.

If a sufficient amount of time has passed since the last vote, a decision type is selected randomly, albeit with weighted probabilities.
I really really don't like this.

Why can't the kingdom decisions be in response to organic things happening in the game world? For example, a rival faction gaining a powerful fief can trigger a war/invasion vote or a clan leader exposed doing criminal activities can trigger an explusion or fief retraction vote.

Having these things pop up randomly at somewhat set intervals feels very gamey. Like scripted power struggles and politics rather than an organic sandbox system. It's just Warband 2.0, it's not progress.

RoboSenshi said:
If a sufficient amount of time has passed since the last vote, a decision type is selected randomly, albeit with weighted probabilities.

Why can't the kingdom decisions be in response to organic things happening in the game world? For example, a rival faction gaining a powerful fief can trigger a war/invasion vote or a clan leader exposed doing criminal activities can trigger an explusion or fief retraction vote.

Having these things pop up randomly at somewhat set intervals feels very gamey. Like scripted power struggles and politics rather than an organic sandbox system. It's just Warband 2.0, it's not progress.
The literal next paragraph says
Once a decision has been selected, it is evaluated by the clan in question. This evaluation stage is partially unique, as the clan leaders determine their interest independently for each decision type, and with varying factors. If there is no interest in a decision, the evaluation.
It's more likely that the AI will keep on discarding proposals until they come across one that piques their interest. Hence it HAS to be, atleast tangentially, related to what it's happening in the sandbox. Ultimately, it will come down to the AI's situational awareness.

Ettenrocal said:
A sponsor is normally a guy who back you with money, person forwarding a legislative ide what is a supporter or a support (maybe supporter is a wrong term) ?... They are more than supporters in the overall world but for each decisions they are supporters or not of the choice to make.

A sponsor is also:

A person who introduces and supports a proposal for legislation.
‘a leading sponsor of the bill’

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/sponsor

RoboSenshi said:

I feel like there is a misunderstanding. On the one hand, we do have events that can trigger a kingdom decision - such as the capturing of a settlement. More importantly, though, the weighed random selection is for clan leader evaluation (what type of decision do they evaluate how often) - which does not mean that a lord will propose the decision he is evaluating. That is determined based on a range of factors that are appropriate for the decision type in question and are affected by events in the world. Broadly speaking, this is an approach of high numbers, low chances.

It does mean decisions are often not a direct response to any one matter in particular. Instead, we seek to strike a balance between taking a broader range of things into account without overwhelming the player with a torrent of minor or recurring decisions.

As with all else, this is something we intend to continue to improve over time but as a general response to your concern I can say that the system does take into account organic things happening in the game world.

I believe you can`t annex lands from other clans or kingdoms, you have to conquer them. Annex means that you are taking control of a region from someone below you. Lets say you are the leader of your house and your nephew has a castle but you think that he has too much power. So you vote for it with other members of your house. In which cases your nepweh may/can rebel or not, that i do not know.

Sponsor is not a medieval term, even if sponsor mean support for legislation in english in other language not and it's definetely not medieval ! I didn't know that meaning of the word in english CAUSE we are not all english :mad: And the most common meaning is the thing with backing money. I think a support is better word for this situation cause feudal systelm of Calradia is quite far from a parlement...

I hope AI takes decision too with this system depending what happen in the world.

I have a feedback for UI. It's good to see game is leaning towards strategy-management but i feel you dont want to overwhelm player with details, main part of the game is RPG; it is not a paradox game. So, why not make UI more like king managing, signing, sealing documents?
Percentages, info bars makes things  appear in 3rd perspective(like controlling a country, in paradox games), and influence number display makes it gamey. It can still work with numbers, (like hitting with a sword works in numbers), but in sword control player feels the hit rather than calculating numbers. Right now it looks like player counts ifluence rather than feeling it.
2.-NAI_-MS_2011_1_88-21-390x285.jpg

May be we can see Kingdom Laws in a display like this and do something on it. Currently Management UI looks like game's informative UI; which implies to player he has no control over kingdom, just an observer. For example, in Warband we talked with our NPC's about kingdom stuff; which is more RPGish and immersive than current system. I am sure it can be improved.
To make influence look less gamey, i would suggest to design influence as a variable not accumulating/spendable; but rather a value flows like velocity. Instead of counting distance(current influence design), player can just can adjust to principles to increase/decrease his velocity(suggested influence design). Like hitting a sword.
For example in suggested design, you as a king have high influence; and as long as you have high influence you can reject laws in your favor. But changing this laws decrease your high influence for a period, a similar trade off but not same, in a special period where you have high influence(like war period) you can take important decisions which requires high influence. In the current system you cant implement something like this, if you do it(like gaining ifluence in war time) you can use this influence in peace time; but this is not how influence works in real life; not a good reflection.
It's like making influence income main parameter basically, and it can be designed as complex as much like designing sword physics, player only feels how to spend it and learns it. Only learning principles are enough which will be displayed, but player can master the topic with experience. Player will be aware of principles increasing, or decreasing his influence, like currently, but it is smoother and less precise of course. Like real life! If player has low influence, he cant control it instantly or use stacked influence  for safe use; he has to face risks and consequences.
And if you think about it, you can make it elaborated without smothering player into details. Think of how a car moves, accelaretes in daily life, describing the physics of it is pretty complex but people intuitively understand principles of it, and it is enough. It's easier to accelarate a motorcyle compared to a truck. Similarly, a small lord winning a decisive battle can 'obtain' a important influence value compared to a already strong king; the math behind it not necessarily requires explanation. Or a car's speed will decay if there is no more power applied, similarly if you lost your title your influence will decay etc. etc.

Ettenrocal said:
Sponsor is not a medieval term, even if sponsor mean support for legislation in english in other language not and it's definetely not medieval ! I didn't know that meaning of the word in english CAUSE we are not all english :mad: And the most common meaning is the thing with backing money. I think a support is better word for this situation cause feudal systelm of Calradia is quite far from a parlement...

I hope AI takes decision too with this system depending what happen in the world.

I'd aim more at the term Patronage -> Patron (Latin: patronus)

HUMMAN said:
I have a feedback for UI. It's good to see game is leaning towards strategy-management but i feel you dont want to overwhelm player with details, main part of the game is RPG; it is not a paradox game. So, why not make UI more like king managing, signing, sealing documents?
Percentages, info bars makes things  appear in 3rd perspective(like controlling a country, in paradox games), and influence number display makes it gamey. It can still work with numbers, (like hitting with a sword works in numbers), but in sword control player feels the hit rather than calculating numbers. Right now it looks like player counts ifluence rather than feeling it.

May be we can see Kingdom Laws in a display like this and do something on it. Currently Management UI looks like game's informative UI; which implies to player he has no control over kingdom, just an observer. For example, in Warband we talked with our NPC's about kingdom stuff; which is more RPGish and immersive than current system. I am sure it can be improved.
To make influence look less gamey, i would suggest to design influence as a variable not accumulating/spendable; but rather a value flows like velocity. Instead of counting distance(current influence design), player can just can adjust to principles to increase/decrease his velocity(suggested influence design). Like hitting a sword.
For example in suggested design, you as a king have high influence; and as long as you have high influence you can reject laws in your favor. But changing this laws decrease your high influence for a period, a similar trade off but not same, in a special period where you have high influence(like war period) you can take important decisions which requires high influence. In the current system you cant implement something like this, if you do it(like gaining ifluence in war time) you can use this influence in peace time; but this is not how influence works in real life; not a good reflection.
It's like making influence income main parameter basically, and it can be designed as complex as much like designing sword physics, player only feels how to spend it and learns it. Only learning principles are enough which will be displayed, but player can master the topic with experience. Player will be aware of principles increasing, or decreasing his influence, like currently, but it is smoother and less precise of course. Like real life! If player has low influence, he cant control it instantly or use stacked influence  for safe use; he has to face risks and consequences.
And if you think about it, you can make it elaborated without smothering player into details. Think of how a car moves, accelaretes in daily life, describing the physics of it is pretty complex but people intuitively understand principles of it, and it is enough. It's easier to accelarate a motorcyle compared to a truck. Similarly, a small lord winning a decisive battle can 'obtain' a important influence value compared to a already strong king; the math behind it not necessarily requires explanation. Or a car's speed will decay if there is no more power applied, similarly if you lost your title your influence will decay etc. etc.

This would be interesting for the UI of diplomatic relations (options of which we know nothing) kingdom to kingdom / lord to lord at a distance; a Totalwar-ish style panel with this type of graphics. For the face-to-face relations, they will opt for the UI of the barter system; which I see well.

Duh_TaleWorlds said:
RoboSenshi said:

I feel like there is a misunderstanding. On the one hand, we do have events that can trigger a kingdom decision - such as the capturing of a settlement.
This is a personal request but could you kindly list new events that aren't related in any way to warband? thanks.

fedeita said:
Duh_TaleWorlds said:
RoboSenshi said:

I feel like there is a misunderstanding. On the one hand, we do have events that can trigger a kingdom decision - such as the capturing of a settlement.
This is a personal request but could you kindly list new events that aren't related in any way to warband? thanks.

tenor.gif

Deleight us Duh  :lol:

HUMMAN said:
I like this point of view. I prefer if the values are not visibles.

As I played tabletop RPG, my prefered gamemaster was one who had a screen masking the rules, points, dices and we just get to talk with him for our actions and he tells us what was happening. We do not even know when he was rolling dices.

I like, in Warband, when a fief is to be given, that you have to talk to your most friendly lords (ok, it could be difficult to ask where they are and go talk to them) to convince them. I like that their relations with you (like for towns or villages) can be "friendly", "hostile", ... but I do not like that you get the numbers for that.

I think a lot of values (not all, money and prices seems needed) should be hidden. Alas, I guess it will never be that way.
And spending points for influence is a too easy way to replace that and lead to a loss.

I think I have the same desire for the perks. There should'nt be point to affect to some skills tree to unlock possibilities. They should be unlocked automaticaly when you raise your proficiencies.

I do not know if it is possible (or even interesting) to go there with Attributes and Skills. Because we would lost personnalization of our character. (automaticaly unlocking possibilities may also be a lost of personnalization)

Back
Top Bottom