Author Topic: Dev Blog 08/11/19  (Read 6093 times)

FBohler

• Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • WBNWWF&S
Re: Dev Blog 08/11/19
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2019, 08:48:37 PM »
March 31st is a Tuesday.
I can't help but imagine Callum reaching the forums the last Monday of March to tell us that the EA has been delayed and will be up and running as soon as possible, but without a fixed date, it's going to be released when it's ready...

:lol: :lol:
Nitpickers gonna nitpick.
Video games aren't perfect counterparts of reality.

NUQAR'S Kentucky "Nuqar" James XXL

• BioAfrikaner
  • Duke
  • 🖕IF YOUR EASILY OFFENDED...GROW SOME BALLS...!!🖕
    • Twitter - yaqobhyndes
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
  • Faction: Khergit
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2019, 09:47:46 PM »
So, to achieve the desired visual result while remaining conscious of hardware usage, our automated baking process uses the navigation mesh to find the positions that agents can go. Then, from these positions, rays are cast to find the visible points on the scene. For all of these points, the automatic process then places probes in a grid fashion.

This is pretty funny, and also quite an interesting way of doing it. This is like something I would do. :lol: Also thanks for linking the papers.

In Warband scenes, light source props were limited to a maximum of 10 (such as the props you would place to emit light coming from a torch or a campfire), is this still a limit in Bannerlord, or has it been increased?

Modern engines support dozens of shadowed lights so long as they don't overlap too much, and a near infinite number of unshadowed lights. And contrary to what a lot of people say, bannerlord is a modern game engine. It would be really unusual if there was a hard limit like back in 2010.

Dearmad

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sarranid
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2019, 11:26:47 PM »
March 31st is a Tuesday.
I can't help but imagine Callum reaching the forums the last Monday of March to tell us that the EA has been delayed and will be up and running as soon as possible, but without a fixed date, it's going to be released when it's ready...

I'd bet money on this given the state of multiplayer.

DtheHun

• Sergeant Knight
  • MLP nick: Peach Zephyr
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2019, 11:49:25 PM »
March 31st is a Tuesday.

I'd bet money on this given the state of multiplayer.

fedeita

• Marquis
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2019, 11:57:26 PM »
So, to achieve the desired visual result while remaining conscious of hardware usage, our automated baking process uses the navigation mesh to find the positions that agents can go. Then, from these positions, rays are cast to find the visible points on the scene. For all of these points, the automatic process then places probes in a grid fashion.

This is pretty funny, and also quite an interesting way of doing it. This is like something I would do. :lol: Also thanks for linking the papers.

In Warband scenes, light source props were limited to a maximum of 10 (such as the props you would place to emit light coming from a torch or a campfire), is this still a limit in Bannerlord, or has it been increased?

Modern engines support dozens of shadowed lights so long as they don't overlap too much, and a near infinite number of unshadowed lights. And contrary to what a lot of people say, bannerlord is a modern game engine. It would be really unusual if there was a hard limit like back in 2010.
I suppose there won't be any real "limit" to the number of static lights and from what I know the engine can handle dynamic shadows so it will be possible to create torches.

froggyluv

• Master Knight
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: KoA_Froggyluv
  • NW
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2019, 12:26:10 AM »

Came here for inside information on Bilderberg/Illuminatti. Left disappoint, slightly less conspiracy minded and a higher IQ
Sexy Beast!

Piconi

• Baron
  • ⚔️
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • MP nick: Piconi
  • WBM&BWF&SVCNW
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2019, 01:08:49 PM »
Little less conversation, a little more action please !
...or ummm... Less talking, more videos !

...forgot all the flosculas....

panem

• Veteran
  • Escape the cursed fate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2019, 02:21:31 PM »
My reaction to seeing the blog, and finishing reading it.

game engine using global illumination is excellence,
This automatic baking process can be build umbra, penumbra , ambient shadow, mid-tone color, core shadow at the same time. And the good news is that this will also be available to modders and is as simple as the click of a button in the scene editor.
:D
difference from slave,  Anti-hero without their own village, they leave you,
their own village under attacked, they betray and to be your enemy,
their own village better than you, they will think how to take over your's

grunwalder01

• Regular
  • Your grouchy but loyal client...
    • Steam - ancanc
    • YouTube - UCci--82nIEVWfOoS7UeOFDA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2019, 05:02:55 PM »
I like those technical details so it was a good read for me. Thank you for sharing.
It's almost drinking from your nice head you have on your money or your life season!

AmateurHetman

• Knight
  • Pro Fide, Lege et Rege
    • Steam - HetmanAmatorski
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • WBNWWF&SM&B
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2019, 05:57:19 PM »
What exactly are the comparison photos showing in this blog?

Captain Obvious

• Knight
  • Rule Britannia!
    • Steam - captainobvious99
    • Twitter - _KyleWilley_
    • Twitch.tv - Captain_Obvious99
    • YouTube - UCIuE9DwmiH2L-OVw30mZB9g
    • View Profile
    • Delorious Network
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2019, 07:03:53 PM »

I suppose the ambience that global illumination gives.
Creator of an upcoming Bannerlord Role-Play Server, join below & read the group for more info.

NUQAR'S Kentucky "Nuqar" James XXL

• BioAfrikaner
  • Duke
  • 🖕IF YOUR EASILY OFFENDED...GROW SOME BALLS...!!🖕
    • Twitter - yaqobhyndes
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2019, 07:49:33 PM »
The one on the left is showing a flat ambient light while the one on the right uses Global Illumination to determine where the light bounces.

Global Illumination has been around in video games for ages, even games like Half Life 1 employ GI of some kind, but in modern games it's absolutely essential to prevent everything from looking flat and ugly.

(click to show/hide)

Look at the image in the top left (No GI or ambient light at all) compared to all the others (GI).

DtheHun

• Sergeant Knight
  • MLP nick: Peach Zephyr
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2019, 08:06:07 PM »

Light rays are bouncing from surfaces with a reduced intensity, that's why things in shadow are not totally black. You can see the color and texture of their surfaces to some extent.
Comparing the pictures, there are no dark corners on the left image, because that ambience light is faked. Every surface in shadow has the same amount of visibility. It's flat just like in Warband. On the right, ambience light is counted from surface to surface, so the shading is realistic and the picture has more depth.

FBohler

• Knight
    • View Profile
  • WBNWWF&S
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2019, 09:36:11 PM »
The one on the left is showing a flat ambient light while the one on the right uses Global Illumination to determine where the light bounces.

Global Illumination has been around in video games for ages, even games like Half Life 1 employ GI of some kind, but in modern games it's absolutely essential to prevent everything from looking flat and ugly.

(click to show/hide)

Look at the image in the top left (No GI or ambient light at all) compared to all the others (GI).

Very cool image!
Nitpickers gonna nitpick.
Video games aren't perfect counterparts of reality.

AmateurHetman

• Knight
  • Pro Fide, Lege et Rege
    • Steam - HetmanAmatorski
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • WBNWWF&SM&B
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2019, 09:58:22 PM »
Thank you for all the answers.