I made a game myself, would love to know your opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi everyone!

I made this classic bullet hell space shooter. It's ultra difficult but once you "git gud" :smile: you will make it very far or even finish it!

It is available for free, from steam (there are no ads / microtransactions). Available at https://store.steampowered.com/app/1117810/Git_Gud_or_Get_Rekt/

But this game is nothing. It's all just a little funny side project, made for fun. The real, epic stuff is coming your way.

Imagine Mount & Blade meets Hotline Miami meets Total War. How cool can it be?

Game set in a vikings era where you take a role of one of the clan leaders. Your goal is to raid, pillage, rob, kill and enslave. Unite whole Scandinavia under your rule and deserve a place in Valhalla by Odin's side!

The core mechanics of the game will be fast & responsive combat system known from Mount & Blade series: 4 directional attacks, blocks, feints, timing and pixel perfect physics. The game will feature top-down view, known from Hotline Miami and a simple, turn based campaign mode similar to Total War series where you'll manage your provinces and armies and interact with other factions.

But the core of the game will be the real time combat system and epic battles in which your character will personally take charge. So there will be RPG elements such as levelling your character, upgrading your stats, gaining perks, finding and upgrading tons of items (melee and ranged weapons, armors, shields, etc.). Thanks to procedurally generated missions, items, weapons and events no two games will be the same. I love Europa Universalis series, and have a fetish for maps so I won't rest until the campaign map looks real good.

The combat system will improve the already awesome Mount & Blade mechanics. It won't be just 4 direction attacks but will add a wide array of special combo attacks, available for powerful characters, such as you, my dear friends! Additionally, the moveset will include a basic dash/dodge moves.

The game will be in 2D, so the battles will be freaking epic with hundreds of units on each side. It will be a brutal, hardcore, slaughter with hectolitres (gallons for our US friends) of blood. The game will probably get an 18+ rating, but who cares? Not me!

So... If you're more than 18 years old, like vikings stuff, nordic mythology, Manowar music, skill based combat system, general epicness, and a bit of turn based strategy planning, this new game will definitely be for you.

I am working on a prototype of the combat system, and when I have some results I will let you all know.

Peace!

Adorno said:
comrade7 said:
... 4 directional attacks, blocks,
... top-down view
... 2D
Sounds difficult to combine these. Or is it isometric view?

All characters will be made & animated as 3D models and then cast to 2D. So the animations will be very fluent and player will easily see if the weapon swings left, right, overhead or thrust.

But you're absolutely right that it will not be easy to do. The biggest difficulty lies in huge number of combination of transition animations between different positions - and all those combinations are necessary if we want to give player the feeling of responsivness to input. But I think I figured it all out and now it's just a matter of automating the process of creatring all those transition animations and casting to 2D.

It will be a lot of work for sure but the effect may be surprisingly fun. A character will be just 3 or 4 sprites, and it's a 2D game. Rendering-wise I should be able to have literally thousands of characters on the battlefield. The only real bottleneck will be physics calculations but I've some ideas for optimizations here as well :smile:

My goal is to recreate Mount & Blade's core combat system (maybe with a few improvements such as combo attacks, dodges or dashes), while having truly epic battlefields with thousands of characters and pixel-perfect collision detection.

We'll see how it'll work out, wish me luck :smile:

Back
Top Bottom