Author Topic: Dev Blog 15/10/19  (Read 6032 times)

tanglebones

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • WBNWVC
Re: Dev Blog 15/10/19
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2019, 01:39:22 PM »
"This morale penalty is modified according to the commander’s skills and perks, and also other factors."

I hope this is hinting towards a significant morale boost for troops during a battle whereby the commander can inspire nearby troops by simply being present and fighting in proximity alongside a formation (probably a passive ability).

IMO this would make situations like a final last stand more interesting and intense, instead of losing to some invisible morale pool game mechanic that suddenly depletes. I would expect at the very least something along the lines of vetaran troops with their commander accompanying them to fight to the very last man and die, if the player wishes it so. Once we factor in the permadeath mechanic and successor alongisde this, I'm all  in.

malvado

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2019, 02:08:03 PM »
Interesting, in the first pic, to see the falling foot soldier has an arrow in the back of his head; friendly fire?
Good blog.  Thanks Callum.  It would have been nice to see the campaign map tool tip.

I can’t speak to that specific instance but there is definitely friendly fire. I’ve been shot in the back of the head by my archers in captain mode (beta) because I ran out in front of them while they were firing at another unit.

FBohler

• Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • WBNWWF&S
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2019, 03:06:13 PM »
By the number of posts in this thread, we can conclude that forum users morale is very low to the point of a massive route  :lol:
Nitpickers gonna nitpick.
Video games aren't perfect counterparts of reality.

Callum_TaleWorlds

• Inmate #79
  • Community Manager
  • Soon™
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2019, 03:15:34 PM »
That arrow was from a horse archer if I remember correctly. The AI is pretty sneaky in battles tbh, so horse archers will constantly be flanking and harassing the enemy, archers will push forward to fire then fall back behind the infantry lines when enemy cav approach, who then, in turn, pull out of their charge rather than run into a shield wall. There is actually a lot going on in battles come to think of it... And soon enough you will get to experience them for yourself!

Terco_Viejo

• Spanish Gifquisition
  • Knight
  • Muchas gracias... pero ésto es un Tercio español.
    • View Profile
    • Caballeros de Calradia (Comunidad Mount & Blade en Español)
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2019, 03:29:23 PM »
That arrow was from a horse archer if I remember correctly. The AI is pretty sneaky in battles tbh, so horse archers will constantly be flanking and harassing the enemy, archers will push forward to fire then fall back behind the infantry lines when enemy cav approach, who then, in turn, pull out of their charge rather than run into a shield wall. There is actually a lot going on in battles come to think of it... And soon enough you will get to experience them for yourself!

I've had groundless fears for a long time about how the ia behaves in the videos. Now, even in the images we can see that anomalous behavior... I'm afraid.
Of course, morale is a topic of which we knew nothing and which undoubtedly needed a blog. After the fortnight of waiting, it was worth it.  :iamamoron:

I leave you more surrealism to complement this blog, enjoy it.  :lol:

Rejoice, the coming of the Lord is near

BlazingScribe

• Regular
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2019, 03:53:14 PM »

Welp. This made my day. Thanks!

Now I can pretend all my soldiers are high on shrooms as I murder my way across the land.
"Mmmm. I don't like being stabbed."

"Wise words friend, wise words."

fedeita

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2019, 04:42:30 PM »
Dear Callum don't hate me for saying this but after watching almost all the videos avaiable I'm 100 % sceptical about your statment, we never seen something any close to what your describe.
If something has been done to the AI, just show us please.

fedeita

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2019, 05:03:59 PM »
I dont see the difference between Warband Morale System and the Bannerlord System, overall with so many Blogs I didnt saw anything really new, despite Siege Engines, some Weapon Crafting (not even Armor Crafting) or the Perma Death feature with kids. I thought Taleworlds mentioned they have many new Features but at the moment I see only a Warband reskin with awful Combat Mechanic and some new Features and only for this they took almost 8 years of development time? I dont want to mention even the Banner System, Combat or Multiplayer overall in my Opinion everything got more simplified and boring I dont see any depth Gameplay Mechanics at the moment.
You can't say bannerlord is just a reskin there's an insane work on the engine for an indie company, the game is bigger than what you think but the problem is that it has been badly directed regarding artistic decisions and overall project managament.
Don't forget morale was bugged in warband so it's like a new thing.

FBohler

• Knight
    • View Profile
  • WBNWWF&S
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2019, 05:18:04 PM »
It would be nice to see terrain affecting morale.

For example:

- Wet terrain such as rivers;
- Fighting from lower ground;
- Climbing up a hill (temporary morale drop for unmounted troops in this case);

Mirabelle

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2019, 06:01:05 PM »

For example:

Shouldn't mounted troops also receive a penalty? I'd imagine that charging uphill, even with a horse, would be pretty bad.
Time is the only true purgatory.

cherac

• Sergeant Knight
  • If you can't beat them , shoot them
    • Skype - cherac
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Stillthebest
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2019, 06:22:34 PM »
I dont see the difference between Warband Morale System and the Bannerlord System, overall with so many Blogs I didnt saw anything really new, despite Siege Engines, some Weapon Crafting (not even Armor Crafting) or the Perma Death feature with kids. I thought Taleworlds mentioned they have many new Features but at the moment I see only a Warband reskin with awful Combat Mechanic and some new Features and only for this they took almost 8 years of development time? I dont want to mention even the Banner System, Combat or Multiplayer overall in my Opinion everything got more simplified and boring I dont see any depth Gameplay Mechanics at the moment.

That is so not fair, for a game you haven’t actually played that is an unwarranted judgement, also I think you should reread and review all released info and content, Bannerlords is by no means shallow , its a really big improvement on warband, a worthy sequel , yes its not perfect but you have to realize its still in development, and would be polished over time
"A bad Peace is worse than war "

FBohler

• Knight
    • View Profile
  • WBNWWF&S
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2019, 08:40:39 PM »

For example:

Shouldn't mounted troops also receive a penalty? I'd imagine that charging uphill, even with a horse, would be pretty bad.

On a second thought, I agree with you. Furthermore, cav is OP enough :lol:

Beron

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2019, 08:41:29 PM »
Would also be interesting with a shock-effect from getting flanked or hit by heavy cavalry
That would be good, like in Total War.

but this is all the important Thing about manouvering, and it's missing  :(
what is the Point of outflanking, or Managing a charge from behind, if it does not affect morale?!

without an influence of flanking on morale , all goes down to: higher killing, higher morale, so you just have to have the best troops, and rush them straight on. Is it fun?  :facepalm:

and what About Fatigue? and lower/higher gorund? and surprise if hidden troops jump at you from a forest?

@ Callum: sorry for the rant, but do you see any Chance of implementing a morale modifier which depends on being flanked? it cannot be so difficult, total war has it since 20 years, shadow of the horned rat evn longer…
the other Points, like Fatigue/lower Ground/surprise, any Chance? Maybe by modding?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:45:43 PM by Beron »

FBohler

• Knight
    • View Profile
  • WBNWWF&S
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2019, 08:50:34 PM »
all goes down to: higher killing, higher morale, so you just have to have the best troops, and rush them straight on. Is it fun?  :facepalm:

Welcome to Calradia  :lol:

LeChat

• Knight at Arms
    • Steam - LeChat
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Lyaa
  • WBM&BWF&SVC
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2019, 09:07:03 PM »
I have never been annoyed by moral in Warband. Maybe in a mod (Medieval Conquest) where I lost some troops. But not in Native or Age of Calradia Enhanced.
(maybe because I am fighting very often ^^)

Haha ! Never soon enough !
L'éternité est éprise des productions du temps.
Gameplay > Realism
Rhetological fallacies : https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/rhetological-fallacies/