[Asian Interviews] Golden Archer and his Phantom Pain | KT_Katyusha

Users who are viewing this thread

Shiroin

Section Moderator
uou7M6.png

uouEgx.png

Reported and Translated by Shiroin.
Katyusha is one of the greatest archery players in Asia.

Also, he is an exceptional student in real life.

I think he has quite interesting thoughts about Warband and its community.

Let us see how does a top-level Asian player feels about the European scene.

You are the most prestigious archery player after Luckystar in china. Also, you are one of the most influential archery players who got common approved in Asia.
I wonder, did you think you worth it? Did you ever feel pressure?

I still remember. I started my journey as a new player into Warband in 2011. 2011 and the years before 2011, our players call it "the golden age."  It is an age of heroes. Until today the players born in the golden age still too bright to us just like Homer's epic. Since I enter this game, I already choose archery as my favourite class. Maybe inside my heart, I prefer to kill an enemy from thousands of miles away.

X_Luckystar (Z_Luckystar/A4), "God of Warband," is the legendary top1 archery player in Asian Warband history. He already quit the Multiplayer community over five years, but nowadays, he becomes a symbol. But back in 2012, the year he still exists, he and his stories left me a great impression on my mind. Yes, I adore him. I want to be a legendary archery player like him.
I keep training and training. I adore Luckystar, trying to copy him, chasing the phantom that already gone. I put his nickname as my own, trying to pursue his headshot rating. In the year of my 14 years old, finally, I using KT_Luckystar, the game id belongs my idol, to crown the champion of the 3rd Chinese Warband League Cup with my teammates.

As I am getting older, one day, I realize I am myself, not the phantom of someone in the past. I have my own character and teammates, and there was something precious that needs my protection. I keep my journey moved on, but this time I was using my individual game id, not him.

I do have pressure. Sometimes when my K/D dropped or headshot rating lost made me angry. Sometimes I felt the game is a kind burden, not something to relax. But I feel better now, whatever how much massive a tournament or match it is. I can take this.
My skills are pretty much grown now. Most Chinese prefer "lay more stress on the past than on the present." The players who have the same game time as I adore Luckystar, and nowadays, new players think I am one of the most reliable archery players. Have I beyond Luckystar? Yes or Not?  It is not that matters to me. Because I am not a  professional player, just an ordinary one. I adore Luckystar, trying to be him, but in the end, did I become him, I can't give a correct answer.

I see you didn't join Nation's Cup of this year. What do you think about European teams and the Chinese team? I am wondering which European team or players you favour with?

In my opinion, the different environment made different ways. Let us talk about the rules of the Chinese Warband League Cup before 2014 first. Most matches choose to play on open-maps. Teams are free to pick up factions with banning. Also, one single round's battle time set up to 10 minutes. These rules made many high-level archery players born in X( Chinese AE, Dream clan of China), Horn and KT. At that time, Chinese clans are really good at using dispersive archery squads as the primary tactics. It was hard to see an infantry squad playing fist with another infantry squad. In the end, a match usually becomes the conquest between flags point, but still hard to see two-party confront each other.
After 2015, the Chinese Warband Leauge Cup(CWLC) changed its formats and rules. Round time sets to 4 to 5 minutes, and they bring in the closed-map. These changes made infantry become the major force of a match also put archery squad into history. At this time, people start to think about how to using infantry tactics in a game. Typical is the infantry squad and cavalry squad to defeat enemies in one wave.  That made infantry players and cavalry players more important than before, but archery players not so important anymore.
If let me analyze the style of modern Chinese players, I will say: three classes are well, both infantry and cavalry are aggressive. But from the personal skills, the players who start their journey in 2015-2016 are weaker than the players from golden ages, the experience is always useful.
European tournaments look quite different. Because team format size is less than Chinese tournaments, personal skills are more critical. I watched some videos of European players. They quite have something awesome at personal skills. Of course, they have the full-fledges system on tournament and community. I could confirm the training of European teams is better than Chinese teams.
About the Chinese team of this Nation's Cup, most of them are the players who have some experience. Skyfall, XiaoShanzha and P are players who have the same game-age as me. Steve and Wanzi are the young stars of the Chinese community. They are not easy to play well in such a high ping environment. Also, fit in normal battle speed is not an easy thing. If they try to do some specific exercises will be better. I hope I could have more opportunities to see Chinese players join global tournaments. But the internet will always be a problem.
The European team I watched most is Apis Europae. And players, Kane's archery skills, Charlini's combat and Gibby's duel is our much-told story too. ( Sorry, I didn't know much about the European community. But I will.)

Hey, Golden Archer! Can you do a short introduction about you and your clan KT?

I am 567 comes from Knight Templar. My common nickname is Katyusha. I am 19 years old, study computer science in a nice collage. I start my multiplayer journey in 2011, joined KT in 2013. Since I joined kt, I become the major archery player. My game id is KT_Luckystar and KT_Katyusha.
Chinese players usually hide their primary game id, so I was sometimes using some anime character's name such as Houraisan Kaguya and Kochiya Sanae in the game.
Recently I like to play a Chinese mobile game Azur Lane, so I was sometimes using KT_Atago as my game id. My daily K/D about 3-4, headshot rate 65% to 70%.
Knights Templar founded in 2011. Until 2019, we got 1 CWLC champion, once second place, twice third place.
Our tradition is good at archery, but we have excellent cavalry and infantry players, too, but not such good as our archery.
The team is harmonious. They often have dinner with each other in reality. Even some people are good friends in real life.

You have already watched many match videos about top-level European players such as BladeCastMasters and Battle of Bucharest. Anythings to share after you watched? How do you rate their skills and styles? Any disadvantages or advantages you felt between China and Europe?

I watched some European top-level players' youtube channel and their highlights cuts but not much. I want to say they are pretty stable. They are good at control pace, timing and distance. It is not similar to Asia. Most of the Chinese players are too much aggressive such as using many fakes actions in the match. Maybe it is good but always exposed flaws. I think to keep stable is more safety in high-level competitions.
I have a great impression of Kane. I watched his headshot cuts video before. It looks like he prefers using a third-person angle. I like both first person and third person angle. One is easy to count distance; the other is easy to watch the environment. Through the videos, I can't have a chance to analyze their archery accuracy because the European scene prefers to play in middle and short distance. But I believe they won't disappoint me. It looks like European players prefer to keep stable on mouse movement. For me, I prefer high-speed mouse movement. It is quite useful to maintain a safe position from the enemy's arrows also made me easy to aim an enemy from a long distance to another long distance.
Generally, they more look like professionals. I can't find any weaknesses in their play.
Chinese player is not that bad at all. Most active players keep playing Warband for three years or four years. But there is one thing I can't accept. That is, play wired in public server like wearing nothing like a poor farmer or using some tricks to win a game but not on skills. Everyone has the right to chose their styles, but I don't think it is helpful to competitive. And I want to say, our public server sucks.

Bannerlord is coming soon. But I heard part of core players from both Europe and Asia don't like it at all. After the bannerlord released, it has to impact the Warband multiplayer community. What do you think about this?

Luckily, I got beta access. After playing a whole, I think everything changed. Maybe there will be a whole new different multiplayer competitive system between Warband and Bannerlord.
And I want to say it is totally unfriendly to my computer. My laptop (i5 8300h with GeForce GTX1060) running not that well. Only can reach unstable 100fps in middle settings. And the servers are really bad at all.
Personally, I think the singleplayer part is worth to be waiting for such years. If you played long enough, you would get used to its control. But I don't think Bannerlord is better than Warband on multiplayer competitive. Some experienced players from china think bannerlord has become easier. It means even an experienced player couldn't make some awesome plays the same as they did in Warband.
After all, it is finally coming. Maybe it will bring some young blood to this small multiplayer community. Perhaps there will be some e-sport events in Bannerlord. But whatever, it will be a revolution to the multiplayer community. But if Bannerlord wants to keep the fun and hardcore as Warband did, then it needs a lot of change.

If you need to make a final judgement of the Chinese Warband Community, how do you rate the things that happened between these decade years?

This community once united the best people from the Chinese game industry. They did things from their passion but not employed by the money. They made some awesome modules, host servers and make rules —— it is the beginning of everything.
But there is once we lost everything. Good people went, the server been to attack, and players divided each other.
Even there is a time without any public servers, but players start to host dedicated servers that make the community survive.
Our multiplayer community has a strong vitality. Even DDoS is rampant, fewer players keep playing Native Module, but still, some good developers did a great job of active players' passion for the Chinese scene.
Nowadays, some admins hard to avoid cockiness but still did some good jobs on principle things, keep bad things away from our gaming environment.
"History is a drama without a director. —— Yang Wen-li"
It is the same as our scene. Between countless theatricality ups and downs, good and evil, brave and cowardice, meets and goodbyes; the community has beyond the game itself become a kingdom come outside the world.
People are not always right, but they usually good. There was some darkness, but, finally, there will be light.
I never felt regret about I joined this community, we have been there.

Thanks for the interview, nice work always.

But label some player or some clan AFK since 2013 as "God of Warband" or "Chinese AE, Dream clan of China" is kind of unrealistic. I know it's just some people's own thought but since these interviews are the only way our readers here know about Chinese community, I think you should just tell the truth instead of some exaggerated titles.

It's good to remember history and it's better to know the reality and walk on.  :smile:

brainmay said:
Thanks for the interview, nice work always.

But label some player or some clan AFK since 2013 as "God of Warband" or "Chinese AE, Dream clan of China" is kind of unrealistic. I know it's just some people's own thought but since these interviews are the only way our readers here know about Chinese community, I think you should just tell the truth instead of some exaggerated titles.

It's good to remember history and it's better to know the reality and walk on.  :smile:

Nice advice.
But I need to notice you mainly an interview is to capture someone's thoughts.
Just like your interview, some parts of players cannot admit and thinks it is unreal. But some part of players like it.
Different angles, different thoughts, Right? Ten thousand people have ten thousand different Hamlet.
But always no need to say something harm. Chinese people should unite.

By the way, I am pleased if I have the opportunity to interview Horn's players.

The answers given during interviews are and will always be subjective, which is also why they are so interesting. It's up to the reader to make his own opinion and often, you will need to hear several opinions from different people to have a clear idea on a topic or subject you are not really familiar with.

Either way, great work again Shiroin. The lenght of the answers is quite huge which gives some deep insights about the asian community. Props for the hard-work. 

Tardet said:
The answers given during interviews are and will always be subjective, which is also why they are so interesting. It's up to the reader to make his own opinion and often, you will need to hear several opinions from different people to have a clear idea on a topic or subject you are not really familiar with.

Either way, great work again Shiroin. The lenght of the answers is quite huge which gives some deep insights about the asian community. Props for the hard-work.

Thank you for watching and sharing experiences. I am trying to do some cool interviews as you did before. I'll keep continuing to bring some more interesting things to European players.

KaneMaB said:
Very nice interview. Looking forward to seeing you guys play in and around NC matches more, hopefully in BL.

Thank you for watching it. I hope I will continue to watch your awesome archery show in Bannerlord. By the way, are there any new highlights videos to share with us?

shinvon said:
Interesting interview :smile: GJ

Thank you for watching, partner. It is always nice to see a Chinese brother at a foreign place. I hope one day I could have a chance to interview some of Horn's players such as you.

Shiroin said:
Thank you for watching it. I hope I will continue to watch your awesome archery show in Bannerlord. By the way, are there any new highlights videos to share with us?
I hope I will get to record some good footage on Bannerlord once I am happy with how the game is. I am currently not very active on Warband, but I might be able to get some fun moments this NC!

Back
Top Bottom