SP - General The Bannerlord Banner Poll

Users who are viewing this thread

Quiet_Monk said:
Rule of tincture (already mentioned in the previous thread about banners) could help solve this problem ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_tincture ). I think this is logical and totally doable solution. More variation, while keeping banners recognisably belonging to a faction. For each faction it would take the faction colour as a base and then allow combinations with one or more of the following: yellow (gold), white (silver) and maybe black. This would allow varied designs within TW's plans for the game.

This expands on Terco’s idea, while preventing colour over colour designs that are sometimes hard on eyes and also designs that can be confused between factions. It could also serve as a basis for a very simple banner editor: choose a sigil, its placement, background design (divided horizontally, vertically or diagonally, or monocolour or four tiles etc.) then pick colours for everthing from given palette.

mdhRs.png

Very nice composition! Much better than the crude examples I presented in this thread.

Now on top of that, the devices of each clan could be non-generic and stylistically distinct for each respective faction, as for instance picked from this selection:

Terco_Viejo said:
[...]
-msNp.jpg

1VRUB.jpg

Then we would have a pretty much feasible concept. Bravo.

Quiet_Monk said:
Rule of tincture (already mentioned in the previous thread about banners) could help solve this problem ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_tincture ). I think this is logical and totally doable solution. More variation, while keeping banners recognisably belonging to a faction. For each faction it would take the faction colour as a base and then allow combinations with one or more of the following: yellow (gold), white (silver) and maybe black. This would allow varied designs within TW's plans for the game.

This expands on Terco’s idea, while preventing colour over colour designs that are sometimes hard on eyes and also designs that can be confused between factions. It could also serve as a basis for a very simple banner editor: choose a sigil, its placement, background design (divided horizontally, vertically or diagonally, or monocolour or four tiles etc.) then pick colours for everthing from given palette.

mdhRs.png

I really, really like this Mr. Monk. This might be my favorite solution to the current banner problem (only change I would make to this is to incorporate a chevron background design).

@Quiet_Monk, I like the idea of restricting the faction's banners to those four colors. However, I would give the player a free choice of colors with a gradient scroll bar as I mentioned.

John the Roleplayer said:
Quiet_Monk said:

mdhRs.png

Very nice composition! Much better than the crude examples I presented in this thread.

Now on top of that, the devices of each clan could be non-generic and stylistically distinct for each respective faction, as for instance picked from this selection:

Terco_Viejo said:
[...]
-msNp.jpg

1VRUB.jpg

Then we would have a pretty much feasible concept. Bravo.

Yes! that's a really nice selection. And why not add a lighter and darker colour tint options for each faction. I wouldn't go with a full gradient slider, because that makes it possible to have super dark colour next to black as well as super light colour next to white. Still a big fan of Terco's input on visuals.

I like Quiet_Monk's selections, they're individually distinctive, yet clearly display a faction color to give them some unifying element.  Allowing for a + and - gradient for each could allow for sub-factions or player preference, although I'd agree that putting it on a slider could lead to issues at the extremes, particularly in MP.

Limiting each faction to one base color and its gradients, 3-4 secondary colors for sigils and other elements, and a choice of sigil designs, would provide a LOT of flexibility and distinctiveness while retaining the ability to distinguish an NPC's faction at a glance at their shield or tabard, or the banner being carried by a formation.

If it's just a MP map like Captain Mode then having each side have a base color is important. I get that. Maybe even have banners personalized for the players but the unit colorations be standardized, like how Warband tournaments work.

However for every other facet of the game you've got to have variety. What happens when Lord Chicken Dumpling leaves Vlandia for Sturgia? Does his banner get died blue? Why? Does each court have a Grand Master Fashionista who ensures all soldiers and retinue are correctly color-coded? Make sure everyones cloaks and capes are in season and nobody breaks sumptuary law?

Banners are the unique identity of a noble and should, as such, be unique.

To clarify, i'm not sharing the mod because it's not mine. I don't want to break someones trust and take credit for something that is not mine.

But yeah that flag editor is from bannerlord. While in the video i was not able to actually use the customization as it would only add a small icon on the shield and do nothing more.

Just want to weigh in on this since I ended up here: I'm in agreement with the general consensus. Banners being locked to faction color doesn't feel right to me. I feel like it couldn't hurt to, for example, force banners to share the field color of their faction, but that's as far as I'd go with it. Definitely, at the very least, allow shades within that color's general range.

It's not that it's a bad design decision, IMO, I get why they did it. It's just lacking in historical accuracy. While subjects often shared the tincture of their liege's dynasty, this was just as often not the case. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, this would sometimes be considered offensive. For example, I believe in Byzantium, displaying the imperial purple was basically putting yourself on the level of the royalty and was considered a big no-no. This could be an earlier Roman thing alone, though, I might be mixing up my facts.

I feel like if they want to unify the factions, they should do so through banners and at the very least, allow shields and surcoats to have their own tinctures. Alternatively, since it seems this design choice may have been heavily influenced by the notion of the flags over settlements representing the clan that owns them... I'd handle that one of two ways:

1. Show the individual flag closer up, but switch to the faction banners beyond a certain level of zoom back.

2. Force the colors to those of the faction on the world map, for the sake of cities and armies, but show "true" colors in battle and town scenes.

Heryee heryee in the court...this man is right! We can no longer stand with basic banners in this game called Bannerlord. Its a crime against Banner bearers

Last edited:
A simple fix could just be to have the faction banner fly over the clan banner. That way you can still tell at a glance what faction a lord is a part of and clan banners can still be whatever color you want it to be.

A simple fix could just be to have the faction banner fly over the clan banner. That way you can still tell at a glance what faction a lord is a part of and clan banners can still be whatever color you want it to be.
Simple and clean right? There are many obvious alternatives to what is currently implemented but we have what we have. Unfortunately, TaleWorlds thinks that their design choice regarding Banners in Bannerlord is optimal (for some unknowable reason). So, it looks like we'll have to rely on mods because as far as TW doing anything to allow for more Banner variation...
giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom