About naval battles and swimming

Whether swimming function is needed in Bannerlord

• Need

Votes: 35 46.1%
  • No need

Votes: 41 53.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Is there a swimming and naval battle in Bannerlord?

If Bannerlord doesn't have a naval battle, I think it's a pity.

About swimming
There is no need to completely pursue authenticity. I think the protagonist (player) can swim in leather armor.

We haven't seen or heard anything about swimming. Naval battles will not be in Bannerlord, at least the devs have said that it won't be at the time of full release and they have no firm plans to do it, but they have considered it in the past and haven't ruled out the possibility of adding such a feature in the future.

I would really like to see swimming; it would be much better than people walking across the bottom of lakes and even able to swing weapons as fast as in the open air, as they can in Warband. It would give meaning to bodies of water as obstacles if you floated in them rather than simply walking more slowly. While it is possible to make very deep and angular trenches filled with water in Warband to make crossing without a bridge impractical, it still looks bad for people to be walking along the bottom, and in fact there should be a chance to swim across at the cost of being defenceless until you reach the other side, where you could draw whatever sidearm you had at your waist (no polearms would be portable). It would be much more fun and interesting, and realistic (which contributes to the fun).

DanAngleland said:
We haven't seen or heard anything about swimming. Naval battles will not be in Bannerlord, at least the devs have said that it won't be at the time of full release and they have no firm plans to do it, but they have considered it in the past and haven't ruled out the possibility of adding such a feature in the future.

I would really like to see swimming; it would be much better than people walking across the bottom of lakes and even able to swing weapons as fast as in the open air, as they can in Warband. It would give meaning to bodies of water as obstacles if you floated in them rather than simply walking more slowly. While it is possible to make very deep and angular trenches filled with water in Warband to make crossing without a bridge impractical, it still looks bad for people to be walking along the bottom, and in fact there should be a chance to swim across at the cost of being defenceless until you reach the other side, where you could draw whatever sidearm you had at your waist (no polearms would be portable). It would be much more fun and interesting, and realistic (which contributes to the fun).
Yes, we need to swim, which is better than walking in the water.

Galaxy Sword said:
DanAngleland said:

Actually i want my medieval immersion to be 100% accurate so technically swimming with heavy armor shouldn't work. So i would suggest a mechanic that makes you get pulled down after a while without any way of getting out. All that is calculated by the weight of your armor and weapons. Light armor should have a reduced effect because you can technically swim with chainmail for example but it just becomes very tiring.

And here are some picture about how it would look like
medieval-swimming.jpg

This is satire btw, just get swimming animation already no one ****ing cares about immersion

Younes123 said:
Galaxy Sword said:
DanAngleland said:

Actually i want my medieval immersion to be 100% accurate so technically swimming with heavy armor shouldn't work. So i would suggest a mechanic that makes you get pulled down after a while without any way of getting out. All that is calculated by the weight of your armor and weapons. Light armor should have a reduced effect because you can technically swim with chainmail for example but it just becomes very tiring.

And here are some picture about how it would look like
medieval-swimming.jpg

This is satire btw, just get swimming animation already no one **** cares about immersion

It is recommended to add a "swimming" skill. When the skill level is higher, you can wear a heavier armor to swim.

Younes123 said:
This is satire btw, just get swimming animation already no one ****ing cares about immersion

So you agree it's a good idea? You clearly value immersion, because you think this real world activity should be made possible in the game! Incidentally, nobody had even mentioned the word, though of course it is always a factor in games. Whether strongly related to reality or not (this will depend upon the type of game), we expect certain things to happen- the way weapons should be used and what effect they should have are a huge issue in M&B, for instance.

If something feels out of place in a game, is jarringly wrong, then that is something that ruins immersion- players do care about it which is why they talk about it. The ideas and gameplay choices we want are influenced by reality and whether we think they will suit the game well (in a game such as M&B, heavily based on the real world concept of swords, shields, spears etc. realism and immersion are very closely connected). Few players would enjoy the game if instead of swords we swung giant ice-creams at one another, but you say that nobody cares about immersion...I described why I think it would be better with swimming, the way it would improve gameplay. Again, gameplay and realism/immersion are closely related here, because one would not expect heavily armed troops to be able to carry everything they had with them across the water.

However, regardless of immersion, there is another clear factor here; pure game balance. If troops were to be able to circumvent bridges and simply swim across moats, rivers and lakes, then being able to take all their top gear with them would seem unfair. It would be too easy to totally bypass what should be a significant obstacle (again, immersion; our brains tell us what a river is, why a bridge is important- if the expected characteristics of these things are ignored by the game, then the game feel less logical, less fair, more pointless- immersion and therefore FUN is ruined).

Swimming in armor. Great.

Edit (I was rude):
If you wear metal armor, you weight 10 to 25 Kg more and your movements are reduced (and modified by water running on it).
Even if you wear gambeson there is a problem: You are in a sponge, linen and cotton absorb water.

Some nobles (even king) died, drowning in shallow water (some because of getting inconscious because of cold water).

I think we do not need swimming in this game. And as stated above, it could ruin some maps.

Easy solution:

After a certain level of athletics skill, maybe as a perk, maybe not(just a skill level barrier) we shall be able to swim.

So naturally all the units will not be able to swim. Maybe only highest level Nordic units in Sturgia will be able to swim(because their infantry always have high athletics)

DanAngleland said:
Younes123 said:
This is satire btw, just get swimming animation already no one **** cares about immersion

So you agree it's a good idea? You clearly value immersion, because you think this real world activity should be made possible in the game! Incidentally, nobody had even mentioned the word, though of course it is always a factor in games. Whether strongly related to reality or not (this will depend upon the type of game), we expect certain things to happen- the way weapons should be used and what effect they should have are a huge issue in M&B, for instance.

If something feels out of place in a game, is jarringly wrong, then that is something that ruins immersion- players do care about it which is why they talk about it. The ideas and gameplay choices we want are influenced by reality and whether we think they will suit the game well (in a game such as M&B, heavily based on the real world concept of swords, shields, spears etc. realism and immersion are very closely connected). Few players would enjoy the game if instead of swords we swung giant ice-creams at one another, but you say that nobody cares about immersion...I described why I think it would be better with swimming, the way it would improve gameplay. Again, gameplay and realism/immersion are closely related here, because one would not expect heavily armed troops to be able to carry everything they had with them across the water.

However, regardless of immersion, there is another clear factor here; pure game balance. If troops were to be able to circumvent bridges and simply swim across moats, rivers and lakes, then being able to take all their top gear with them would seem unfair. It would be too easy to totally bypass what should be a significant obstacle (again, immersion; our brains tell us what a river is, why a bridge is important- if the expected characteristics of these things are ignored by the game, then the game feel less logical, less fair, more pointless- immersion and therefore FUN is ruined).

Except that you can swim in armor. Even if im against that whole 300% immersion, you can swim in medieval armor for a fact

Don't like the idea of swimming in bannerlord why is it needed exactly? As said by others it will ruin some maps certainly castles with moats.

Also in medieval times people did not swim, they simply did not know how to do it. with the chainmail on top of that I don't buy it.

Didn't know how to swim? I'm sure it was less commonly known, but most people would have lived near an open water source such as a stream, and many would naturally have learned to swim. Just because there weren't formal swimming lessons doesn't mean nobody did it.

Hopseflop said:
Don't like the idea of swimming in bannerlord why is it needed exactly? As said by others it will ruin some maps certainly castles with moats.

Also in medieval times people did not swim, they simply did not know how to do it. with the chainmail on top of that I don't buy it.

I think it is more reasonable to allow at least the protagonist (game player) to swim.

Galaxy Sword said:
Hopseflop said:

I think it is more reasonable to allow at least the protagonist (game player) to swim.
Nobody, in armor, reasonablily swims.

Naval combat and travel should have been implemented into the base game as a core feature. Bannerlord was their opportunity to fix that gaping whole from Warband. It's quite dumb to have a classical themed game world and not include any interactions with the sea. That's why so many mods for Warband have naval combat/travel implemented as an essential part.

Till today it's one of my greatest disappointments with the game :facepalm:

LeChat said:
Galaxy Sword said:
Hopseflop said:

There is no need to completely pursue authenticity. I think the protagonist (player) can swim in leather armor.

I don't think swimming will destroy the game map, for example, the protagonist can jump and the ordinary soldier can't jump.

Galaxy Sword said:
LeChat said:
Galaxy Sword said:
Hopseflop said:

I don't think swimming will destroy the game map, for example, the protagonist can jump and the ordinary soldier can't jump.
You were invoking reasonability.

I'm not opposed to a swimming mechanic, but ... why would we need it? What is there that we need to get to by swimming? What would it bring to the core game?

I'd much rather have us wade slowly through shallow water and avoid deep water entirely. I'd very much like to see small boats being utilized in land battles for crossing rivers under a rain of arrows. Unswimmable water also increases the tactical importance of bridges, moats and fords, which would benefit the combat simulation.

Back
Top Bottom