SP Musket Era [VC] Salt & Smoke - An Early 18th Century VC Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Transflux

Recruit
AAcqoo3.png

Sail the seas, plunder ships, trade goods to the new world and fight brutal battles.
Salt & Smoke is a Total Conversion mod for Viking Conquest based around the Early 18th Century Western European Super Powers fighting for supremacy.

Reddit
TaleWorlds
Discord

Much more information is available in the discord, the invite code is permanent so it will always work. Feel free to come in and check out the mods progress. Most of my progress will be discussed there.

Setting:
Roughly 1715, shortly after the War of Spanish Succession and King George I was crowned.

Factions:

Empires:
The Kingdom of Great Britain - Controls Britain, Ruled by King George I
The Spanish Empire - Controls Spain, Ruled by King Philip V
The Kingdom of France - Controls France, Ruled by King Luis XV

Colonies:
New Spain - Controls Cuba, Mexico, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic, Ruled by ?
British America - Controls American Colonies and Jamaica, Ruled by ?

Pirates:
The Republic of Pirates - Controls The Bahamas, Ruled by James Flint

Tribes:
Indigenous Tribes - Mercenaries and Bandits

Religions:
Catholocism
Christianity

Planned Features:
-Viking Conquest Balance mod as a base.
-A mix of Historical and Fictional taking inspiration from Black Sails and Treasure Island.
-A map with all of Britain, France, Spain, Mexico, the American Colonies and the sea between. Scenes done to reflect the new time period.
-Authentic (as possible) Weapons, Gear, Music and presentation to the time period.
-Improved Animations, Spear Bracing, Deployable Pavises, Volley Fire Order, Skirmish Order and a working Bayonet System to make combat feel more like the 18th Century.
-Spyglass, Grenades, Explosives and other Tools
-Lords have improved fighting AI.
-Dynamic/Performance Friendly Smoke Particles.
-Optional content from With Fire and Sword & Napoleonic Warfare if you own them. (See Note Below)
-Many other smaller tweaks and features.

Planned (Later On) Features:
-Field Artillery (some OSP mods have some, might be able to incorporate it.)
-Siege Artillery (Age of Machinery and some other OSP mods have some, might be able to incorporate it.)
-Naval Artillery (This is likely not going to happen, but its worth looking into.)
-Left Handed Pistols (I have code for this, just working on other stuff before Ive even tried it.)

Note About NW & WFaS Content:
Requires that you to copy relevant assets from their folders into Salt & Smokes module.
Instructions will be included with the mod install instructions.
WFaS and/or NW are NOT required to play the mod.

WANT TO HELP?
I am currently in the process of adding features but will eventually need some help with some of the other parts. As I have no experience making scenes or a map to fit the area I want and could really use some help with that mostly. If you're interested in other areas I'm just as welcome to accepting your help as well. Feel free to post or message me here, on Reddit or in the Salt & Smoke Discord if you're interested. Or if you have ideas/OSPs that you think would fit or work well with the premise I'd love to hear your thoughts.

CREDITS
Credit to tweaks and the use of the VC Tweaks Tool from the taleworlds forums, and its creators Kalarhan and Kraggrim. Permission to use was granted generally to the public here.
EvilSquid for all his wonderful bugfixes, included in the mod with permission.
Philippe at Bay for his wonderful Dark Age Village Name mod here.
Diplomacy mod and Taleworlds users Waihti and zParsifal, for several incorporated changes, including horse slowing with damage  here
Tingyun author of VC Balance Mod, for allowing me to use this mod as the basis to build off found here

Transflux said:
I'm also curious what the rules are with using WFaS and NW assets in a mod? I know we can use their module systems with credit given, but I've seen some people include some assets from WFaS in their mods, usually small stuff. My plan was to make dummy resource files with he same asset names as the files I was going to use from them, and then instruct owners of the games to copy the relevant assets into the modules folder. Is this necessary or are we free to use these assets in unpaid mods so long as we credit where they came from?
You are not allowed to use assets of WFaS or NW unless you are making a mod for them.

[Bcw]Btm_Earendil said:
Transflux said:
I'm also curious what the rules are with using WFaS and NW assets in a mod? I know we can use their module systems with credit given, but I've seen some people include some assets from WFaS in their mods, usually small stuff. My plan was to make dummy resource files with he same asset names as the files I was going to use from them, and then instruct owners of the games to copy the relevant assets into the modules folder. Is this necessary or are we free to use these assets in unpaid mods so long as we credit where they came from?
You are not allowed to use assets of WFaS or NW unless you are making a mod for them.

Figured, I'll proceed with my current plan.

Also changed the entire post to be more of a mod post than a help wanted ad lol.

-A map with all of Britain, France, Spain, Mexico, the American Colonies and the sea between.
You're talking about most of the western part of Europe, the whole Atlantic ocean and the northern half of the continent of Americas. Are you sure you can fit all in M&B without making the Atlantic ocean looks like the English Channel?

It obviously isnt going to be properly to scale, but you can also make the parties move slower to make the scale seem larger. There are mods with very large segments of/the whole world as the map, so I'm sure I can fit it with some work. I think the bigger question will be how much can I fit on the map before it turns into a stuttering mess. Which is a legitimate concern.

It's also more of just the Eastern Coastal part of the US. All of Mexico will likely not be used as it would require nearly all of the US as well which is impractical.

I'll post a screenshot of google maps with a rough estimate of the desired map when I get some free time late tonight.

The project idea is great but yeah i wonder how can you put such a huge map into Warband, also what about the naval battles, its not the same battles as in the dark ages :shock:. Carribean game had to create their own naval battle simulator and merge it with Warband Engine and it wasn't so good. If i was you i would just make a mod on a specific theater of War like for exemple north america Franco-English wars ! Even there you would have a huge challenge: implement artillery.
Good luck anyway, we never know, maybe you're the next god of modding !

Back
Top Bottom