Author Topic: Dev Blog 01/08/19  (Read 17394 times)

Yaga

• Tree Expert
  • Squire
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • MP nick: Yaga
Re: Dev Blog 01/08/19
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2019, 11:33:17 PM »
Hi Callum!
Dear Developers! Thanks for the tree (13:47)!
It is beautiful  :)
I don't speak English... Совсем.
---
"Here is a character (let's call him Yaga), who is unimpressed that you were unable to complete a quest he gave you".
(click to show/hide)
"Here is Yaga again, but after you have successfully completed his quest".
(click to show/hide)
©Blog43

Ostrogoth Pikeman

• Regular
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • WBNWVC
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2019, 11:49:31 PM »
This is glorious! Thank you Callum! Looking very forward to seeing more at Gamescom.
No cost too great. No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering. Born of god and Void. You shall seal the blinding light that plagues their dream. You are the vessel.

Triune Impurity Rites 999

• Sergeant
  • Domedon Doxomedon
    • Steam - painkiller31
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Golgathian
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2019, 12:03:09 AM »
Amusing video, I felt was combat animations were just off the sweet spot in terms of speed. I'm not saying they need to be ninja quick, but man it was like they were underwater. I feel Warband had quicker combat.

In any case, falxmen are badass and yay for video!

Edit: another observation was that the Battanian Faifnuriuels or whatever the hell they are called, fafns - fufnirs - whatever, drew their arrows from the side (or behind?) when their quivers were behind their shoulders. Hey picking nits.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 12:06:32 AM by Triune Impurity Rites 999 »
The three obscure states of Mankind in Malkuth:

Adam in Darkness 9
Eve in Damnation 9
Seth in Death 9

• Sergeant Knight
    • Steam - sektor578
    • View Profile
  • WBVCNWWF&SM&B
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2019, 12:22:54 AM »
Wish you a good recovery, Callum. I have played warband multiplayer for about 2k hours so if you don't mind some judgement, here's mine:

1) Τhe game's speed feels strange. Movement and attacking looks like dancing around instead of fighting. Τhis might be because the animations themselves seem a bit strange and a bit robotic in my opinion and lacking that 'punch' that a warrior would have when fighting for his life.

2) The sound environment needs more and different sounds, in many cases the game feels very void regarding sound and empty, and then you hear 10 'UH AH!' in a row. It needs more variety and some battle class background noise which remains constant.

3) The combo system looks very good and if I understand correctly, it can trigger when you hit an enemy, allowing you to deal extra damage really quick.

4) Αrchery seems like a big issue. Not only they get the crosshair which is immensely unrealistic for a medieval game but it seems like shooting arrows is very arcade-like, which velocity playing a much less impact than warband. This is the impression I get from this video. If that's the case then I hope it gets looked at, because aim and shooting in a complex melee game should not be the most efficient of dealing damage, but should more of support and pressure. It almost feels like a different game at the moment, again from the video.

5) Removable or not from the hud, points should not be placed upon your character in any form or shape when we talk about a competitive game that timing and visibility has so much to do with the criteria of you winning a fight. Big no.

6) Regarding leg movement animations, there's a big desync on ground covering and actual feet moving animations. Some characters feel like they float, because they moonwalk with relatively slow movement on legs and cover distance fast, which looks like high ping. I imagine this is not the case in that video though.

7) Classes seem, still, underwhelming. This is something I would need to test, but nothing was memorable regarding characters and playstyles in that video. It could be the nature of everyone being relatively new to the game, but still.

vicwiz007

• D
  • Knight
  • Lord Jar Jar Binks, 52 BBY - ∞
    • Steam - 0900730
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • MP nick: M&B Wars Ep IV - No Hope
  • WBNWVCM&BWF&S
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2019, 12:57:14 AM »
About the info popping up on the player, why is that even there? The top right shows a killfeed and the bottom left has the damage info. It's not very crucial info mid-fight so you can just use those sources for when you have a second to spare and care enough.

Footbeard

• Veteran
  • Not just a foot. Not just a beard
    • Steam - https://steamcommunity.com/id/torbuckfootbeard/
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • MP nick: Footbeard
  • WBNWVC
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2019, 12:59:21 AM »
Looks like there's a little bit left to do in terms of visual, audio and balancing polish but the gameplay looks unmistakably M & B and absurdly fun. A few players have mentioned the slowed combat speed looking funky, it looks strange to me after Warband as well but won't take long to get used to.

This gamemode in action looks like it could be immensely fun which I'm surprised for. I was expecting to only look forward to the bigger size multiplayer fights but Skirmish looks incredibly involved and engaging as well. Teamwork, coordination and tactics will be key!

Is there still a crouch mechanic? I feel like it'd be very useful against projectile fire with a smaller shield. You are a dastardly shot with the bow as well! The takedown on the horse charging straight at you was pretty poetic.

Looking great team, good to see you're better Callum

Bring on Bannerlord~
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 01:12:22 AM by Footbeard »

Procyon

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2019, 01:07:31 AM »
Callum,
Any chance to have in the future matchs with 32vs32, 50vs50, 100vs100 players as Warband?

KhergitLancer99

• On probation
  • Permanently Banned
  • Mustafa Kemal Atatürk (1881-193∞)
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Khergit
  • WB
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2019, 01:12:10 AM »
Great gameplay video thanks Callum also get well soon !

1- When arrows hit somewhere the amount of dust that raises is unbelievably too much. Hopefully TW will reduce it.

2- I saw Tercio and Efe Karacar in chat but they werent in the playerlist. How did that happen ? Did they quit after the previous game ? Then why did their sentences remain to the next game ?

3- Again when arrows hit someone it would be good to see some blood pour or sth. It is good for the sword slashes&stabs but I didnt see any blood for arrow shots.

4- I second 578 about the weird pace in combat. Also yes like he said arrows seem to get effected less by velocity(maybe this was because you were playing probably as on of the best archer classes in the game) crosshair did not open after holding the arrow too long(again maybe its due to the professionalism of Fian archers)

5- Also the breaking of shields were very bad in my opinion. They just puffed. In warband it was better. The broken shield fell to the ground looking mostly intact but still unuseable. Would have been a lot better with a more realistic sound and a shattered shield falling onto the ground. Also it broke too quick in my opinion. I think swords should have tough time breaking shields.

Note: Sorry Callum but I laughed so hard when at the very beginning you got lanced while doing that chicken dance with your teammates LMAO !

Hopefully we will receive a piece of this beta cake sometime as well !

Edit: 6- Some headshots look  not so headshots. Maybe hitboxes need a bit more work ?
Edit 2: 7- Infantry units go into each other a lot.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 01:36:47 AM by KhergitLancer99 »

FBohler

• Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • WBNWWF&S
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2019, 01:30:13 AM »
The game looks really really fun to play, graphics are very good in my opinion, and the slow paced combat is a very welcome addition for me!

That being said, to the nitpicking:

1) sound is a bit underwhelming;
2) the battanian heavy armor looks a bit flat and uninspired;
3) clipping everywhere ranging from equipment to dead bodies;
4) shield animations are very stiff and look quite robotic.

On a side note, the game look and feel arcadey, and this is okay IMHO. I can't imagine this game being so serious and realistic like some people here seem to want it to be.
Nitpickers gonna nitpick.
Video games aren't perfect counterparts of reality.

Lemondude

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2019, 01:42:22 AM »
Thanks for releasing some game play.

• Sergeant Knight
    • Steam - sektor578
    • View Profile
  • WBVCNWWF&SM&B
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2019, 01:51:11 AM »
Further observations and suggestions:

All the opinions below are based on the video, do not take them for fact, these are simply my impressions, as posted my previous comment in this thread:

1) The map itself surprised me with how much it offers in variety of close combat and it initially looks very good but it suffers from one thing, all 3 points showcased (if they are static, that is) offer too much space to cavalry and archers. Even B, which is located inside a building has enough space for a cavalry to charge and maneuver while archers can freely hit if a team gets even slightly cornered. While this is not a big issue for shields, it renders 2 handers obsolete, once again, in competitive play as it was in Warband. 1 of the 3 points SHOULD have more obstacles in the form of boxes to make the life of cavalry harder and provide cover. The point that is open and has a well for example is good, a cavalry should feel comfortable since its open space but at the same time infantry/archers can seek cover in around the well or at the boxes behind. Point A is open, mixed feelings on it but I still see the problem that would pose to 2 handers. In this map, ambush would work best as a 2 hand warrior in B point or 'jungle' around the village alleys. Not sure how viable would that be.

2) Backpedal seems to not have any drawback. You can see this specifically at the point A where the battanian warrior fights 2 shield/spear aserai warriors.

3) Voice grunts feel too clean, they should have some form of distance distortion, and I would go further by adding random voice lines, in the same way Perisno mod does it in single player. This would give the feel of combat happening, spamming would not be an issue and it should add a lot of immersion to it. Currently the feel is too 'video gamey' regarding sound in my opinion. It feels like playing old quake, which is not a bad thing, but its good to make progress on that by extra realism on sound tech and frequency.

4) Flesh hit hitmark from arrows should have a more 'flesh' sound, as opposed to the current 'wood' hitting sound. This belongs to the visual/sound feedback and should add a lot to the 'satisfaction' level you get by hitting someone.

5) In 8:06 a horseman will charge the battanian 2 hand warrior in B flag. It is very clear that his spear does not hit the battanian, yet he dies. After that, in the same fight, the same horse with minimal push inertia knocks down a warrior and his team finishes him off. Horses were arguably the easiest class in Warband, due to the CC possible if you knew what to do and the speed damage. It is very unfortunate to see this here aswell, because it's not fair or fun, it's plain bull.

6) In 9:45, the 2 hander we see will move forward to a shielded aserai and his friend, a two hander who will move the left. The battanian warrior will swing his sword and kill the aserai 2 hander. The problem here is that it feels like the swing arc is huge. The aserai 2 hander is literally at his full left side, yet there is a hitmark. The death happens towards the end of the animation aswell. Damage drop on swing arc falloff dropped?

7) Shield-up speed movement penalty looks good.

8 ) The combat problem from what I realise by watching the video again and again is not the speed, as the animations after a swing are good, but its the feedback. The animations need to be more sporty when it comes to movement and more 'savage' regarding combat animations. The speed is good, slower than warband and allows tactics to take place other than left swing spam to surpass someone by, pretty much, breaking his patience. But the feedback is the problem currently, not the speed itself.

9) Horses look bloody good in their visuals and animations

10) Archers need a much slower weapon changing animation. The speed of the game has been toned down and it was needed to be honest, but archers seem to have everything at the moment. No penalty when someone gets too close since you can switch weapons extremely fast, shooting looks easier than warband, damage is big. They should put the bow away first and then draw the weapon. This is a very basic and normal penalty for a ranged class, not sure why this is not in the game already.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 01:59:08 AM by 578 »

MountAndMemeButterlord

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2019, 02:48:33 AM »
Thank you Taleworlds I'll stop saying "Bannerlord when" until after Gamescom.

Sundeki

• Sergeant Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2019, 03:06:21 AM »
Thanks for the video.
Only a couple of complaints:
  • The constant screaming of the same 3 screams over and over lead to me wanting to mute the video (which probably means I would want to mute the game). It happens far too often.
  • The "air"/whatever the visual is flying out of the back of the arrows looks retarded. I always hated it when they shifted to that in the Total War series and I hate it now. It would be acceptable if there was rain, but there isn't. Please have an option to turn that crap off, thanks. I want to get shot by arrows not anime energy blasts.
  • What's wrong with the shields? I'm not sure what's going on exactly but 19:47 seems to be a good example. He was staring at you, but his shield was just hanging off to the side for some reason(and he was blocking). Was this because the person playing doesn't have a lot of experience with shield movement, or are they actually that clunky?

Also is it supposed to be that slow? Watching the video on 1.25x speed makes the attack animations look better, except everyone is running at mach speed. Is there any particular reason everything combat-related was slowed down by ~15%?
We'll all be old men by the time another Mount&Blade comes out.

Kodlak Jorrvas

• Squire
  • The Hottest Companion
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: [Jorrvas]Kodlak
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2019, 03:21:25 AM »
Jesus christ why is everyone so bad at this game, get a couple of argentinians and they will kick ass I swear
EDIT: The game looks great, but the pace is very slow, I guess you guys put it in low speed so these noobs can play, no offense but seriously they cant block a single hit, its very, very painful to watch, yet I have to keep watching. Thank you for this Callum, not mean to be a nitpicker but its the truth lmao ALSO nice to see you now can see damage of the arrows on the multiplayer
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 03:29:50 AM by Kodlak Jorrvas »

Noudelle

• Master Knight
  • Poutinier Professionnel
    • View Profile
  • WBM&BWF&SNWVC
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2019, 03:49:52 AM »
    • What's wrong with the shields? I'm not sure what's going on exactly but 19:47 seems to be a good example. He was staring at you, but his shield was just hanging off to the side for some reason(and he was blocking). Was this because the person playing doesn't have a lot of experience with shield movement, or are they actually that clunky?
    https://giant.gfycat.com/FlatRewardingAlpineroadguidetigerbeetle.webm

That would be because there are four block directions with shields now, and he was blocking to his left.
    The blocking animation does look very stiff and unnatural though. The fact that you can't aim your shield vertically anymore, apart from the up/down directions makes it look even worse.
    (click to show/hide)
    (click to show/hide)
    I think this could be solved by just putting this system back in in conjunction with the four blocking directions.[/list]