Users who are viewing this thread

In 1453 Turkish army with help of God captures the city that was called constantinapolis.Mehmed II ordered no innocent to get hurt and secured the citys safety.Its now known as ISTANBUL not constaninapolis :evil:  :twisted:

This actually raises an interesting point of discussion, which is the role of national primary education in brainwashing the masses. It is a well-established fact that dictators and autocratic leaders try to change the educational system of the country they run to promote their cult of personality. North-Korea is, of course, the most blatant example, but the same principle is in action in Russia and Turkey and Thailand and many other places. There's a bucket load of research done on the Nazification of society, and the brainwashing of younger generations in Nazi Germany, and a somewhat smaller amount of research on the same topic regarding the Soviet Union, but I'm unfamiliar with research in smaller countries. And this is an extremely topical/fashionable topic, what with Erdogan and Putin and Trump.

Not sure but I thought there were '3 days of 'partying'' right after conquest?  Not covered in the movie or cartoon but the wiki entry mentioned that.  Before Mehmet told them to stop.

According to historian Roger Crowley there were the traditional 3 days where troops were free to plunder the town after conquest.
However, after just 1 day the town was completely ravaged - not much was left standing anyway - and Mehmet called off the plunder.
The high discipline meant the Çavuş could order the troops to stand down.
The next day Mehmet received 1/5 of all the plunder - as was custom - including slaves.
About 30,000 slaves - the majority of the civilian/regular population - were brought to slave markets in Edirne, Bursa and Ankara.
Some could buy themselves free, some had friends/family to help them and others were executed (mainly the Venetians and the grand duke (Lukas Notaras) and family).
It's a long story...

Comments are ridicilious''they are brainwashed by goverment'' Said by a person which know nothing about Turkish goverment but what media says.

Jhessail said:
Oh absolutely. Please describe it in more detail for the uninitiated.
It was a publicity stunt made on the wave of fighting against the 'Polish death camps' term that started appearing again. But because it was written over night and on the knee, it ended up as a gem that could get you imprisoned for implying that Polish state or people were ever involved in war crimes and other atrocities 'publicly and against the facts', which is vague at best and raised questions about legality of researching those things.

It stirred up some **** and gathered some angry responses, which played right into government's hand, as they were spinning the narration of evil foreigners besieging poor Poland and just waiting to put their hands on our natural riches or something. Probably enslave and turn us gay.

So can someone explain to me, what if you manage to get ships from the sea into that other body of water?  I remember they said there was some passage that was blocked by a heavy chain.  So what if you manage to get ships into that area?

Krotos said:
... know nothing about Turkish goverment but what media says.
That is generally how one gets informed.

Kharille said:
So can someone explain to me, what if you manage to get ships from the sea into that other body of water?  I remember they said there was some passage that was blocked by a heavy chain.  So what if you manage to get ships into that area?
Are you referring to the siege in 1453?
Yes, the Byzantines had chained off (literally) part of the water. With help from the Venetians - who were really their only allies, and master seafarers - the Byzantines had the upper hand of the sea.
But that changed when the Ottomans brought their navy on land and transported it further up to launch a surprise attack.
The Byzantines did not see it coming and it was a turning point in the siege. You need a map of the Marmara sea area to see how that works  :smile:

It's one of several cases in history where navies/ships have been transported on land. Either for strategic reasons or because of necessity.
In this case it was a bit of both, since the Ottoman navy served little purpose where it was.

I reviewed all the posts of the OP( he has only 4 posts)
He is an underage first and foremost. While he didnt reveal his exact age he said he stuck at age barrier in previous elections (23 June 2019).
So he can be a child or he can be a high school student.

He is brainwashed enough to think the opposition stole the votes to get Istanbul. An Erdogan propaganda that even many of his supporters smiled at.

These being said it is true that Erdogan and his party consider themselves neo-Ottomanist but they also rewrite the history to make some Ottoman sultans look familiar to themselves. Especially Abdulhamid II.

Anyway, in high school I remember our history teacher mentioning the three days of pillaging but of course not every teacher are the same and the government supporters are often made up of imbeciles who believe the entire education system is Kemalist(followers of Atatürk principles) propaganda and that we show Ottoman Empire badly.

They have their half sheikh-half armchair historian(!) people who are supported by government and write **** about history around their ideology(which is islamism and neo-ottomanism). If you see a Turk hating on Atatürk and accusing him of being the responsible of fall of Ottoman Empire know that he is extremely brainwashed and an islamist who learnt history from very wrong sources such as sheikhs and tariqahs(cults). Schools mention Atatürk as a hero and they are good at teaching his principles but ofc I dont know every school and every teacher, there are many imam schools opened by Erdogan now. They probably dont stick to curriculum too much.

I remember not my history teacher but my religion teacher in high school claiming through its 622 years of history there had only been 2 stealing incidents within the empire. I actually, being an atheist a Kemalist and above all these a rationalist, argued with the teacher and even told this to our history teacher who told me not to worry about it and just ignore.
They also claim when Ottoman army passed through a garden while going on a campaign if they took a fruit from a tree they binded a golden coin on its branch. Now the thing about Ottomans not relying on raids while going on campaigns is a historical fact but not in this way. The army was followed by a group of military merchants whom sold stuff to them constantly but they raided the enemy terriories and if they would want a fruit they would buy one from those merchants I mentioned earlier by giving its price.

So yes, they show Ottomans as far better than everyone if not as saints.Maybe they are right in terms of religious toleration up until some point but even that was because they had to since they always had a very big non-muslim population not because they were very good people.
Though Hayreddin Barbaros helping Jews in Spain during Spanish inquisition and Ottoman empire settling them in Turkey and allowing them to pray in Synagogues seeing them as a richness in their society is mindblowing for the era.

Though enslavement of Slavic people and selling them to Arabs in Egypt is overlooked. Also they hilariously claim Ottomans made conquest to make World a better place(they dont directly say this but they imply) but dont forget most of these depend on the teacher as well.

Also the fact that they overlooked at the developements in Europe, reneissence and reform, industrial revolution and most importantly scientific mindset instead of scholastic mindset and these leading them staying behind Europe technology and sociology wise not being mentioned make Turkish youth question why did this empire fall anyway ?

Long story short they should teach Ottomans with both their goods and bads so that we dont make the same mistakes now which we unfortunately do. Thats why history is important and if you only show history with its good sides its nothing more than a masturbation material.

KhergitLancer99 said:
Though Hayreddin Barbaros helping Jews in Spain during Spanish inquisition and Ottoman empire settling them in Turkey and allowing them to pray in Synagogues seeing them as a richness in their society is mindblowing for the era.

European states considered them a "richness" in their communities as well - they just didn't want them intermingling with the Christian population, hence the restriction to the various ghettos. During times of pogrom in Europe, especially in the early modern period, you'll find that it's most often city officials and nobles, like Barbarossa (although he is a very interesting guy in his own right) who come to the defense of the Jews, usually because they're good for revenue. The Jewish ghetto in Venice was even a sort of tourist attraction for visiting dignitaries.

Back
Top Bottom