Author Topic: 1453  (Read 1971 times)

Exiled Nomad

• Recruit
  • Permanently Banned
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Khergit
« on: June 17, 2019, 09:08:42 AM »
In 1453 Turkish army with help of God captures the city that was called constantinapolis.Mehmed II ordered no innocent to get hurt and secured the citys safety.Its now known as ISTANBUL not constaninapolis :evil:  :twisted:

Kharille

• Knight at Arms
  • Misguided bioweapon
    • Steam - kharille
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • MP nick: kharille
Re: 1453
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 11:26:40 AM »
Watched the movie Fetih, then the cartoon version recently.  Interesting.
Legless ain't got the time to play games with all these unfinished games to catch up on.  And sometimes its more fun to replay the good games....

Jhessail

• Panzervixen
  • Master Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 11:05:54 PM »
This actually raises an interesting point of discussion, which is the role of national primary education in brainwashing the masses. It is a well-established fact that dictators and autocratic leaders try to change the educational system of the country they run to promote their cult of personality. North-Korea is, of course, the most blatant example, but the same principle is in action in Russia and Turkey and Thailand and many other places. There's a bucket load of research done on the Nazification of society, and the brainwashing of younger generations in Nazi Germany, and a somewhat smaller amount of research on the same topic regarding the Soviet Union, but I'm unfamiliar with research in smaller countries. And this is an extremely topical/fashionable topic, what with Erdogan and Putin and Trump.
JOIN SHADOWRUN PARTY QUEST
"In revenge and in love, woman is more barbaric than man is." - Friedrich Nietzsche
"For the female of the species is more deadly than the male." - Rudyard Kipling
Jhessail is far from friendly. :P She's extremely intelligent, amicable, and witty, but friendly's the last word I'd use to describe her.

Do not look here

• Duke
  • Well, ich bin dobry cattolico, as well now
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • WBVCM&B
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 11:50:01 PM »
The (relatively) fresh example of 'Poland did nothing wrong' bill can be added to the list, I think.
Naprawdę dobry cattolico!

Jhessail

• Panzervixen
  • Master Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 11:55:51 PM »
Oh absolutely. Please describe it in more detail for the uninitiated.
JOIN SHADOWRUN PARTY QUEST
"In revenge and in love, woman is more barbaric than man is." - Friedrich Nietzsche
"For the female of the species is more deadly than the male." - Rudyard Kipling
Jhessail is far from friendly. :P She's extremely intelligent, amicable, and witty, but friendly's the last word I'd use to describe her.

Kharille

• Knight at Arms
  • Misguided bioweapon
    • Steam - kharille
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 03:56:33 AM »
Not sure but I thought there were '3 days of 'partying'' right after conquest?  Not covered in the movie or cartoon but the wiki entry mentioned that.  Before Mehmet told them to stop.
Legless ain't got the time to play games with all these unfinished games to catch up on.  And sometimes its more fun to replay the good games....

Adorno

• Bedroom Assassin
  • External Developer
  • I am not an animal!
    • YouTube - Adorno1
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Adorno
  • WBNWM&BVC
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 10:05:57 AM »
According to historian Roger Crowley there were the traditional 3 days where troops were free to plunder the town after conquest.
However, after just 1 day the town was completely ravaged - not much was left standing anyway - and Mehmet called off the plunder.
The high discipline meant the Çavuş could order the troops to stand down.
The next day Mehmet received 1/5 of all the plunder - as was custom - including slaves.
About 30,000 slaves - the majority of the civilian/regular population - were brought to slave markets in Edirne, Bursa and Ankara.
Some could buy themselves free, some had friends/family to help them and others were executed (mainly the Venetians and the grand duke (Lukas Notaras) and family).
It's a long story...

Krotos

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 04:25:26 PM »
Comments are ridicilious''they are brainwashed by goverment'' Said by a person which know nothing about Turkish goverment but what media says.

Vermillion_Hawk

• Butthurt Bushmaster
  • Grandmaster Knight
  • He who strides large across history's stage.
    • View Profile
  • WF&SWBVC
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 08:51:12 PM »
Comments are ridicilious''they are brainwashed by goverment'' Said by a person which know nothing about Turkish goverment but what media says.

Armenian Genocide.
"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets."
-Andre Malraux
-Dracula

Captured Joe

• Marquis
  • The Volunteer Army marches again...
    • Steam - captured_joe
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: CapturedJoe
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 08:59:08 PM »
Fethullah Gülen did nothing wrong.
Captured Joe is my worst fear
You could say that he finds hungarian tanks riveting.

Do not look here

• Duke
  • Well, ich bin dobry cattolico, as well now
    • View Profile
  • WBVCM&B
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 09:26:59 PM »
Oh absolutely. Please describe it in more detail for the uninitiated.
It was a publicity stunt made on the wave of fighting against the 'Polish death camps' term that started appearing again. But because it was written over night and on the knee, it ended up as a gem that could get you imprisoned for implying that Polish state or people were ever involved in war crimes and other atrocities 'publicly and against the facts', which is vague at best and raised questions about legality of researching those things.

It stirred up some **** and gathered some angry responses, which played right into government's hand, as they were spinning the narration of evil foreigners besieging poor Poland and just waiting to put their hands on our natural riches or something. Probably enslave and turn us gay.
Naprawdę dobry cattolico!

BenKenobi

• Marquis
  • Doch
    • View Profile
  • WBNW
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 10:32:04 PM »
And to turn you away from the ways of Christ.

Kharille

• Knight at Arms
  • Misguided bioweapon
    • Steam - kharille
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 12:04:39 AM »
So can someone explain to me, what if you manage to get ships from the sea into that other body of water?  I remember they said there was some passage that was blocked by a heavy chain.  So what if you manage to get ships into that area?

Adorno

• Bedroom Assassin
  • External Developer
  • I am not an animal!
    • YouTube - Adorno1
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Adorno
  • WBNWM&BVC
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 09:17:06 AM »
... know nothing about Turkish goverment but what media says.
That is generally how one gets informed.

So can someone explain to me, what if you manage to get ships from the sea into that other body of water?  I remember they said there was some passage that was blocked by a heavy chain.  So what if you manage to get ships into that area?
Are you referring to the siege in 1453?
Yes, the Byzantines had chained off (literally) part of the water. With help from the Venetians - who were really their only allies, and master seafarers - the Byzantines had the upper hand of the sea.
But that changed when the Ottomans brought their navy on land and transported it further up to launch a surprise attack.
The Byzantines did not see it coming and it was a turning point in the siege. You need a map of the Marmara sea area to see how that works  :)

It's one of several cases in history where navies/ships have been transported on land. Either for strategic reasons or because of necessity.
In this case it was a bit of both, since the Ottoman navy served little purpose where it was.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:39:56 PM by Adorno »

Calradianın Bilgesi

• Forum Legend
  • Personally, I mistrust all handsome men.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 08:00:49 AM »
Fethullah Gülen did nothing wrong.
often i hear this sincerely which makes me disillusioned about credibilty of western media
Kendi istegimle banlanamadim.