Author Topic: Dev Blog 13/06/19  (Read 12003 times)

KhergitLancer99

• On probation
  • Permanently Banned
  • Mustafa Kemal Atatürk (1881-193∞)
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Khergit
  • WB
Re: Dev Blog 13/06/19
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2019, 12:51:30 AM »
Great blog Callum thank you !

Out of curiosity, does the play HAVE to be the leading commander if game decides this, or can they decide to hand it over to the next highest and then pick a unit to command instead?

Yes, according to blog player has to. Though you are right handing over should be an option(but so heavily punishing that noone should chose it). If you are the Marshall then you should have to quit it or you are the king your relations decrease.

Conversely, if the player has the highest rank and is assigned as the commander, then they will be given total control over the entire army during the battle. In this case, the player is still shown the menu but can’t change anything and just has to proceed after reviewing the information
So we won't be able to choose which lords or companions lead which troops?

It seems no. Though I wonder how much say did marshalls have in real life in these situations.

Sounds excellent. I especially like that nobles go for prestige, rather than tactical viability (may still coincide, of course).

Is it also possible for the player's rank to be so low, for example as a mercenary, that they can't choose a commanding role at all and have to fight as a common fighter?

Where on earth has it been seen that a kingdom gave right to a mercenary to command in a battle ? You have to be a lord. Only maybe they dont have enough lords.
Edit: Though mercenary captain should not involve his own party with this system, mercenary captain should be a sub-commander of his employer and should command his own party.

It's not clear to me. Battle orders = Sergeant mode? An undercover freelancer?
I would have to see it in action...I want to like it; however it is not well explained...or I have not understood it well...

We have seen it. It is sergeant mode. AI on top of us will say things like ''flank them from my left'' and you will either obey or disobey these. But if you disobey and battle end up badly the relation may decrease.

Interesting. I would have expected the overall commander to choose which commander gets what, and then lose/gain a tiny bit of relation with each lord if you give them something unbecoming of their status.

If you are just a Marshall lord it should be as it is in the blog but if you are the king then what you said should be the case.

I still have a lot of questions. Such as how command actually works. So when you are commander what do your subcommanders actually do? When an AI lord is the overall commander, do the other AI subs have their own free will such as the player to control their formation, or is the player the only one?

Lots of questions...

Well considering every npc has its own characteristic AI then they must be controlling their formations.

Thanks, good blog.

Just a question too : is it still possible to command only your soldiers on a battlefield like in warband (not only a certain kind of troops, but your archers along with your infanterie...) ?
If I happen to loose my whole unit of archers because of a foolish lord, I'm going to be sooo mad  :evil:

Well prepare to get mad then because judging from the blog thats what it is going to be and I like it because thats how it has been I think. I mean I am not sure. In battles did every lord commanded a unit or everyone commanded their own troops ?

Do we need companions to have leaders to our units ? In our own army. If no companion only one unit with every troops in it ?

No when you are alone you will command your entire army. This system only applies when you join forces with other lords of your faction.

Something that is not clear to me is, if an NPC or the player has the rank of Marshal should he pass directly to command the battle?

I mean isnt that… what marshalls do ?

In case we have a mercenary contract like in the native, I think it would be better if we could keep control of our units

Agreed. Mercenaries should be left out of this system. Mercenary leader should command his own party taking oreders only from his employer lord/king.

What will happen to our companions? Will they also be assigned as simple soldiers? Or will there be the possibility that we can take control of them if our character falls unconscious?

Will there be the option that our companions with roles of doctor or engineer do not participate in the battle? It would be a pain in the ass, losing our best doctor in that way.

They will probably be assigned as simple soldiers. Maybe you will be able to appoint them if you are the king/Marshall or maybe when the composite party lacks lord.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 01:03:00 AM by KhergitLancer99 »

Rabies

• Knight at Arms
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2019, 01:01:13 AM »
Although this blog clearly focuses on multi-party armies, it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to imagine that the same system could be used on a smaller scale when you're fighting with only your own party, using your companions in place of the Lords?

KhergitLancer99

• On probation
  • Permanently Banned
  • Mustafa Kemal Atatürk (1881-193∞)
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Khergit
  • WB
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2019, 01:05:13 AM »
My own question:

Which system was the case irl. I mean how did medieval joint parties handled this ? Everybody commanded his own troops or did they share troops like this system ? Or was it depending on the situation ?

monoolho

• Squire
  • Mono Oculus ibn Amir Uszas
    • Skype - monoolho
    • Steam - monoolho
    • Twitter - monoolho
    • YouTube - UCsDsuBVycc5rUM1LjItivtQ
    • View Profile
    • I sell fountain pens as Conde Caneteiro on Instagram
  • Faction: Sarranid
  • MP nick: monoolho
  • WBNWWF&SM&BVC
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2019, 01:32:42 AM »
My own question:

Which system was the case irl. I mean how did medieval joint parties handled this ? Everybody commanded his own troops or did they share troops like this system ? Or was it depending on the situation ?
Can't say for certain, but I will risk a shot that it depended on the situation. Some armies were kept divided by their lords (Like Total War games), others joined their forces into groups. Especially since most often, the only specialized troops were personal retinues/guards, bowmen and cavalry. Other than that, levies were a mix of everything, so it's easier to join forces.

I may, or I may not, look further into it.
>I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law.
>monoolho diz: zeus era liferuler, cuspia raios, peidava trovões e comia todas as deusas.
>"By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth." - CARLIN, George. 2001.

Brownb92

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2019, 01:33:25 AM »
Love this blog post! I'm really curious as to how AI lords handle their troops in the field. If allowing them to manage troops on their own, gives you the option of micromanaging a bit less at times, I'll enjoy it quite a bit. Also, it may make companions feel a little bit more important to me personally. I've played a ridiculous amount of Mount and Blade, and I always wanted companions to feel a little bit more useful and alive than just a random stat bonus/decent soldier.
    Thanks for the updates, can't wait for the game!

Ettenrocal

• Grandmaster Knight
    • YouTube - UClD6-YQKbuKFa_YMDMKl8Fg
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2019, 01:35:33 AM »
Lord banneret were not really commanding their own troops but they had their own banner and their knights following them. But theses bannerets had also like every lord  bring some archers/crowbowman or infantry/peasant in arms with them (the concept of the ost) that were dispatch with the infantry and archers of other lords so i think we can say the Bannerlord system is pretty accurate. The knights were followed by their knights more like body guard but were most of the time part of bigger cavalry units so they were not really commanders but could be designed as a commander of an unit why not (in this case a banneret could be a commander but was also commanding others inferior lords and knights.

[SOTR] Roy

• Knight at Arms
  • Eat dirt!
    • Steam - Roysotr
    • YouTube - Roy the Bannerlord
    • YouTube - UCwsNAjXuvXuN1W4pMJbOT0g
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • MP nick: Roy
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2019, 01:48:24 AM »
Very good to hear. On this topic, it would be nice to assign a second and third in command, and be able to take over as him if you die in battle. Battles didn't end when the leader died, so you should be able to fight on.
He was number one!

Bjorn The Hound

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • WBVCNWWF&SM&B
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2019, 02:21:29 AM »
What if there are too many lords in a military campaign? Will the system decide top 4 or 5 lord and give them command? Then will we play as a mere soldier?

vicwiz007

• D
  • Knight
  • Lord Jar Jar Binks, 52 BBY - ∞
    • Steam - 0900730
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: M&B Wars Ep IV - No Hope
  • WBNWVCM&BWF&S
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2019, 02:24:48 AM »
I still have a lot of questions. Such as how command actually works. So when you are commander what do your subcommanders actually do? When an AI lord is the overall commander, do the other AI subs have their own free will such as the player to control their formation, or is the player the only one?

Lots of questions...

Well considering every npc has its own characteristic AI then they must be controlling their formations.
I wouldn't assume that though because you control them while you are the overall commander (apparently). So why would they have their own free will when commanded under an AI? I think it is the commander's personality characteristics which will dictate the battle strategy.

Bjorn The Hound

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • WBVCNWWF&SM&B
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2019, 02:32:02 AM »
I think it is the commander's personality characteristics which will dictate the battle strategy.

Obviously. But what if, like the player, subcommanders might have the ability of deciding whether they follow the order or not.

The_BlackThorn

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2019, 02:45:11 AM »
Epic. This game is going to really up the medieval lord status = power etc with mechanics like this going in.

And in turn it will produce epic mods.

vicwiz007

• D
  • Knight
  • Lord Jar Jar Binks, 52 BBY - ∞
    • Steam - 0900730
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: M&B Wars Ep IV - No Hope
  • WBNWVCM&BWF&S
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2019, 03:18:27 AM »
I think it is the commander's personality characteristics which will dictate the battle strategy.

Obviously. But what if, like the player, subcommanders might have the ability of deciding whether they follow the order or not.
Well that ties in to my question. If they each command their own formation then it is possible. I think it'd be really neat. Otherwise the only point of having subcommanders is to lock the player out of some formations that the higher ranks chose. A subcommanders who does no commanding...

Scyrius

• Knight
  • The monster of Mas, The Shadow in the West
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Scyrius
  • WBM&B
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2019, 04:00:55 AM »
Love all the details on this, really good stuff
In the next life we will be kings and we will send men to die as we die today, with courage and honor for the crown.

Rabies

• Knight at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2019, 05:01:36 AM »
What if there are too many lords in a military campaign? Will the system decide top 4 or 5 lord and give them command? Then will we play as a mere soldier?
Conversely, what happens if there's only two Lords in the army, and you've got 4 or 5 different types of units?

Oxtocoatl

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sarranid
  • VC
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2019, 06:20:59 AM »
My own question:

I can think of examples of both. Many crusader armies, for instance, were crippled by division as the different lords commanded their oen forces.
On the other end there were professional armies like that of Matthias Corvinus or the janissaries, where full time soldiers would lead.
Most larger armies probably had a mixed system, trying to balance the feelings of high lords with the need to have someone actually qualified in charge. One compromise was to appoint a noble lord as nominally the leader and then give him many experienced underlings and aides. Not all high lords necessarily came personally to lead their armies, either. In Italian city states it became the norm to hire a professional condottiere to lead the armies of the state.