Author Topic: Dev Blog 13/06/19  (Read 11918 times)

Sigur1

• Knight at Arms
    • Steam - SIGUR11
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
  • MP nick: SIGUR
  • M&BWBNWVC
Re: Dev Blog 13/06/19
« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2019, 11:03:07 PM »
 :D :D ... good morning

Bjorn The Hound

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • WBVCNWWF&SM&B

rohtvak

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sarranid
« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2019, 08:16:02 PM »
This system sounds great! It could be made better by allowing player characters with higher social skills (Charisma, Pursuasion ect.) to manipulate aspects. For example, if you are the commander of the army, and have very high social skills you should be able to suggest changes to the leaders of the various formations. This way you could be certain that the formation leaders are in roles appropriate to their skills. This would be especially useful when the army is made up of your NPC companions. Another example is if the player wants to lead the calvalry formation, but only archers are left, perhaps one of the other formation leaders could be persuaded to switch formations, maybe at the cost of influence.

Meevar the Mighty

• Sergeant Knight at Arms
  • a-na-ku kîma rîmi iḳ-di
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • WB
« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2019, 07:13:37 AM »
I think the system in previous games, where you control your own party, sounds a lot more fun and is more in line with real world medieval organisation, where a noble would go into battle commanding their own followers ie. their own banner. The game is called "Bannerlord" and we get some strange system where you don't command your own banner and it gets split up and homogonised across the army. I get that some people like that kind of thing, but I don't think it really fits the series for players to lose command of their own troops, when so much goes into personally recruiting and training them.

Imo it would be a lot more interesting to restrict the new system to (maybe not even all of) the Empire factions, where it might make more sense. It would also give a unique oppressive vibe to those factions.

I mean, thankfully, there are always mods, but it seems like shooting yourselves in the foot to make the soldiers under the players' commands less personal/meaningful for vanilla. In M&B, the troops had unique faces and you could see them in battle after battle and get attached to them, then in Warband, they became faceless numbers. Now, it's pointless to even care about the number, since it's beyond your control.
(click to show/hide)

Do not look here

• Duke
  • Well, ich bin dobry cattolico, as well now
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • WBVCM&B
« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2019, 07:28:32 AM »
I'd really, really, really like it if it was possible to put exempts into this system. I really can't see where mercenary captains fit in that thing, unless mercenary company gets its own 'formation'. Let's face it, it probably doesn't and the mercenary gameplay is getting a shaft.
Naprawdę dobry cattolico!

[SOTR] Roy

• Knight at Arms
  • Eat dirt!
    • Steam - Roysotr
    • YouTube - Roy the Bannerlord
    • YouTube - UCwsNAjXuvXuN1W4pMJbOT0g
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • MP nick: Roy
« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2019, 03:51:13 PM »
Well, many times mercenaries were under the command of their contractor. You paid good money for those men and you better damn well get your moneys worth, thus you should be allowed to have jurisdiction over them.
He was number one!

Do not look here

• Duke
  • Well, ich bin dobry cattolico, as well now
    • View Profile
  • WBVCM&B
« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2019, 04:01:36 PM »
Yes, but they also acted independently, even if they were just part of an army. During battle of Grunwald captain of one of the Bohemian mercenary cavalry banners was particularly stubborn, as he had to be called to charge multiple times and his own soldiers eventually ended up voting him out and electing new commander on spot. There's a difference between hiring dozen of mercenaries here and there and just bundling them together into a unit and hiring a whole company that is a small army on its own.

They have the diplomacy mana, so I think it could be used here. Commander could pay influence to take over soldiers from mercenary company which would act independently on default, different army members should be allowed to pay influence in order to remain in charge of their own troops if they'd wish so.
Naprawdę dobry cattolico!

WaterPolio

• Recruit
  • Head Admin of NRP
    • Steam - https://steamcommunity.com/id/mutualwar/
    • Twitch.tv - waterpolio
    • YouTube - UCiePSyprRJBD5oy8FQyp9mw
    • View Profile
    • NWRP
  • MP nick: WaterPolo
  • M&BWF&SWBNWVC
« Reply #142 on: July 07, 2019, 02:57:42 AM »
Well, many times mercenaries were under the command of their contractor. You paid good money for those men and you better damn well get your moneys worth, thus you should be allowed to have jurisdiction over them.

Sounds like this still applies in 2019 oof!