Balance of Power: Vikings Sign-Up Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Update!

With the game rounding out well in terms of applicants, progress has also been progressing quickly regarding set-up of the mechanics and game balance of the Balance of Power. This in mind, I wanted to post an update to give a preview of the new CC so you can begin to get an idea of the mechanics of the game: a followup update will be given later further elaborating the mechanics of the BoP once finalized, which should be made available shortly. As you can see, I've striven for overall simplicity in the CC, and while the overall concepts are nonetheless finalized, but numbers will be subject to change or customization for individual countries' settings as seen fit before the BoP:

The Royal Court:
Country Name: (The name of your empire, kingdom, or ethnic group)
Ruling House: (The reigning dynasty of your kingdom)
Ruler: (Your monarch or chief elected representative)
Heir: (The chosen heir and successor to your state)
Authority: (How much legitimacy and power you have within your realm, organized from; Minimal, Weak, Average, Strong, and Almighty)
Claimants: (The alternatives to you and your chosen heir; can be other sons or daughters, powerful relatives, or influential nobles/neighbors)

Factions and Claimants:
Faction Name: (Factions can take many forms, from powerful noble Houses, ethnicities, religious groups/sects, or court political parties)
Leader: (The most prominent leader of the faction)
Influence: (How much support and power they have in the kingdom, organized from; Irrelevant, Weak, Moderate, Influential, and Dominant)
Happiness: (How content they are with the ruler and reigning House, organized from; Feud, Angry, Ambivalent, Content, and Harmonious)
Threat: (Threat is calculated by Influence subtracted by Happiness: if it matches or exceeds the score of the authority of the ruling house, there is a potential for revolt. Likewise, claimants compare their combined influence/happiness against the authority of the ruler themselves)

The Treasury:
Tax/Tribute Income: (The regular income you receive from the farmers, fishers, herders, craftsmen, and nobility in your realm)
Trade Income: (Income received from your trade routes and controlled entrepots)

Military Upkeep: (The expenses incurred from the maintenance of your Retinues and Armed Levies)
Government and Court Expenses: (5% of your income for Petty Kingdoms, 10% for Kingdoms, 15% for Empires, and +5% for each unhappy faction in your country)

Stored in Treasury: (Coin, treasure, and loot stored from surplus from previous turns)
Available to Spend This Turn: (The total available to spend after expenses and prior surplus)

Merchant Parties and Caravans: (How many merchants are available for trade missions this turn)

Controlled Entrepots: (Major international trade hubs under your control)

Goods Produced: (Strategic and trade goods produced by your kingdom)

Trade Deals: (Your currently negotiated trade deals with other kingdoms)

Council of War:
Major Settlements: (Cities, Towns, and Settlements of Note in your kingdom, with their respective populations)
Total Levy: (Total population available for recruitment, including the Armed Levy and the general peasantry)
Armed Levy: (Part-time warriors, they have half the full maintenance cost of their units but can only be raised for Seasonal Campaigns without potential discontent)
Naval Levy: (Fleets available to be raised: Ships require half of their recruitment cost in maintenance)

Retinue: (Full time professional warriors, they have a full maintenance cost but can be used freely in any campaign as well as providing protection for your ruler)

Base Unit Cards:
Light Infantry:
2 Silver per Warrior + 1 Iron

Archers:
4 Silver Per Warrior + 1 Wood

Heavy Infantry:
5 Silver per Warrior + 3 Iron

Light Cavalry:
8 Silver Per Warrior + 5 Iron

Horse Archers:
10 Silver Per Warrior + 1 Wood

Heavy Cavalry:
20 Silver Per Warrior + 10 Iron

Cataphracts:
40 Silver Per Warrior + 20 Iron

War Elephants:
1,000 Silver Per Elephant

Ship Cards:
Coracle/Currach: Crew of Two
5 Silver per Boat + 2 Wood

Karvi/Knarr/Galley/Dhow: Crew of 26
100 Silver Per Ship + 10 Wood

Snekkja/War Galley/War Dhow: Crew of 42
200 Silver Per Ship + 20 Wood

Skeið/Dromon/Sambuk: Crew of 80
350 Silver Per Ship + 35 Wood

Drakkar/Imperial Dromon/Baghlah: Crew of 150
800 Silver Per Ship + 50 Wood

Finally, I wanted to give a bit of expose' to some of the kingdoms and nations on offer that are worth a closer look and consideration in this BoP upon request, while the application period is still open for those interesting in joining or open to alternative options for their country of choice; while no means exhaustive, I thought it worth bringing some to attention as interesting and exciting choices during the period of 860, and worth consideration. Enjoy!

Concerning the World of 860:
To many of us entering the BoP, names such as the Sons of Ragnar, the kingdoms of the Anglo-Saxons, and the provinces of Ireland are broadly familiar to us. But the Balance of Power incorporates much more beyond the realms of the North Sea, extending to the very furthest extents of the Vikings’ voyages. Traditional narratives fall away as the ignorance of the Dark Ages and the predominance of the Vikings slip before the strength and grandeur of the great kingdoms and empires of the day, who railed against the darkness threatening at the fall of the Roman Empire, and against all odds, indeed cultivated a degree of learning and enlightenment unheard of since the glory days of Rome. Others would benefit from the dispersion of the learning of the ancient world to forge new centers of power and civilization of their own from once barbarous frontiers, laying the foundation for great kingdoms centuries down the line. This is Balance of Power: 860, and much, much more lies beyond the grasp of the Vikings, who could only marvel at the wonders of this astounding world of civilization thought long lost. Below are some of the countries of note set to flourish or upend at the cusp of this pivotal decade:

The Abbasid Caliphate: This is the world of the Thousand and One Arabian Nights at its most splendid. Amidst an empire stretching from the Moroccan shores of the Atlantic Ocean to the borders of India, the Arabs rule over perhaps the most powerful empire in the world, larger even than the fallen colossus of Rome. From their capitals at Samarra and the Round City of Baghdad, the largest city in the world, they have inherited the torch of civilization, and the light spilling out from these cities has lit an Islamic Golden Age across the Muslim World of the Umma that has shined brilliantly for two hundred years. The knowledge of the Ancients is given new life in the madrassas of Samarra and the great House of Wisdom in Baghdad, and luminaries in the sciences, arts, and philosophy regularly grace the court of the Caliphs with legendary scholars and enlightened advisors. On the banks of the Tigris and Euphrates, where civilization was born, the Abbasid Caliphate cultivates higher learning unmatched anywhere beyond the Far Orient, but all the knowledge and wealth in the world cannot temper the vices of ambition or guarantee the virtue of loyalty. The light that has glowed so brightly from Baghdad now flickers in the wind: can you save this empire of poets and philosophers, princes and paupers, viziers and thieves, and bring Baghdad to even greater glory than that of the days and nights of Harun al-Rashid?

Armenia: Armenia is among the most ancient countries in the world, and the first in the world to officially adopt Christianity as their state religion. For all their long heritage they have defended their home of mountains and lakes well, and held off foreign invaders from the times of Babylon and Assyria to the empires of the Greeks and Romans. Their proud sovereignty has seen better days as their days of Ancient and Classic era glory have been dimmed in the midst of power struggles between the empires of the Byzantines, Persians, and Arabs. But despite the subjugation of their kingdom and the decimation of many of the noble nakharar in a revolt against the Abbasids late last century, the splendor of the Armenian nation remains undimmed. Indeed, in the middle of the great trade routes flowing through the kingdom on the Silk Road it has only grown, and Armenia is now host to some of the most prosperous cities in the world, including Dvin and the magnificence of Ani, the City of 1,001 Churches. Though under Abbasid rule now, if it can exploit unrest at the Caliphate’s center, the time when Armenians were masters of their own ancient lands may come again.

Byzantines: We are the heirs of the Roman Empire, the greatest empire the world has ever known, and from our lofty cathedrals and golden palaces we have dutifully lifted the light of civilization against the dark longer than any other. From the heart of our empire in Constantinople, the City of the World’s Desire, the Romans have survived in the East, and now after centuries of hardship and decay, that light is about to be rekindled anew. Too long have we fought among ourselves over the controversies of Iconoclasm, and as that debate which has ruined churches and spilled Roman blood is put to rest and buried, it is time for us to renew our efforts against our true enemies. In the West, the Bishop of Rome spars with the Emperor of the Romans with pretenses to equal or greater authority over the Church and the appointment of Patriarchs, while to the East, the foe we have held off for centuries as the bulwark of Christendom at last shows signs of faltering under its own decadence in the heartland of the Arab Caliphate. As smashed icons are painstakingly repaired in gleaming mosaics of gold and brilliant cloisonne, a new era turns in the venerable, the immortal, Byzantine Empire. As the pretenders to the Roman title collapse in infighting among themselves in the former Frankish Empire of Charlemagne, it is time a new dynasty emerges to take up the banner of the True Cross, and restore the Byzantine Empire’s place under god as the first of nations and the true successor to the Caesars of Rome.

Cordoba: Far across the sea from Damascus, where our forefathers once ruled the greatest empire in the world, the remnants of the Umayyad dynasty have found refuge in one of the furthest flung corners of our lost empire. A single son escaped the massacre of the Caliphal family at the hands of the Abbasid revolutionaries a century and a half ago, and found himself exiled in the far lands of Al-Andalus, in the land once called Iberia by the Romans. Having found safe-haven here, far from the reaches of the Caliphs in Baghdad, the Umayyad dynasty refounded itself in the West, and with their position secure they remade this once barbarous frontier of Christians and Visigoths into one of the most splendid realms in either Europe and the Muslim world. Improvements to agriculture with complex irrigation and watermills and the introduction of new fruits and crops such as melons, dates, and sugar revolutionized this once backwater and turned it into the most advanced economic sector in Europe, while daring innovators and artistic luminaries transformed the remaining decaying Roman-era cities into vibrant centers for cultures and learning. Cordoba is already growing to become one of the largest cities in Europe, and her universities and libraries are already famous in both East and West. Prosperity abounds under the Umayyad Emirs of Cordoba, but the stubborn resistance of the remaining free Christians of Iberia in Asturias is not to be forgotten, nor the threat of these new heathen raiders whose sails have been spotted on the horizon of the sea like so many prowling wolves. The Emir of Al-Andalus must be vigilant as well as innovative to safeguard this nascent heartland of Islam in Europe, and in time, the time may come where the Umayyads can reclaim the leadership of the Muslim world, and the title of Caliph.

Great Moravia: From the darkness, a new candle alights. Beyond the borders of fallen Rome, in forests and hills where civilization never tread foot, a new light glows from the unexpected hearth of the Western Slavs of Moravia. It was carried here despite the most terrible dangers and overwhelming uncertainties by some of the greatest missionaries of this or any age, and by their life’s work a new kingdom, indeed a new civilization, arises in the once dark frontiers of Moravia. These courageous missionaries were sent by the Emperor of the Byzantines to spread the Orthodox Christian faith, and their names were Cyril and Methodius, and the kingdom they helped enlighten, and indeed gave birth to, would arise to champion the spread of Christianity to all of the benighted lands of pagan Eastern Europe. Given religion, writing, and connections to the existing centers of civilization in the East by the pioneering works of Cyril and Methodius, Great Moravia’s rise would be swift under its visionary kings. They would make good use of the tools given to them by the legendary pair of missionaries to centralize the first kingdom of the Slavs on the easternmost verges of civilization, prudently consolidating their rule with the construction of a network of massive fortress Gords, which would be put to good use as they became the bastion of their nation against the invasion of the Franks and Magyars. With their defense and survival, the people of Great Moravia would gradually convert to the Christian faith, and long after their fall the impact of this mighty kingdom would reverberate through the history of the East.

Dago Wolfrider or simply Dago.

1. ITALY
2. Amalfi Republic
3. The Picts

Previous Bop experience: Sarado's 1910 Bop, yet I have read many old Bops ( Almalexia's last Bop included ).

Btw, for your reference as a number of people have expressed some confusion regarding the Norse kingdoms and jarldoms, here is the map I referenced most when creating the playable list. That said there may be some discrepancies with the final map when it is made and completed, but it'll at least give you a good idea of what we're working with in the Norselands.  :smile:

enhyqmlwgjf01.jpg

BlackTide

1. Papal States
2. West Francia
3. Wessex

Past experience: I played a bunch of games a few years ago but have since disappeared into obscurity. Would say I’m fairly competent:p

Happy to play whatever you need though those countries were just my preferences.

Bluehawk

1. Rurik
2. Meath or any other Irish kingdom, I'm not picky
3. Khazaria or the Pechenegs

Past experience: 1600, 1700, Marowit's 1910, Congress of Vienna

Update!
Country Selections Have Been Chosen!

Thank you all for such immediate and enthusiastic interest! I'm happy to say we have more than filled out my quota for beginning the BoP, and all in less than a week! I am very excited to begin this next episode in Balance of Power, and, having given due consideration to everyone's applications, BoP history, and the geopolitical "lay of the land", I am happy to announce the country selections for our players below.

Players:
Teo: Kingdom of Vestfold
Ben: Papal States
Curio: Khazaria
Fredelios: Custom Viking
Angelsachsen: Strathclyde
Sarado: Aquitaine
Moose: Cordoba
Alfred: Wessex
Mahud: Byzantines
Rocco: Connacht
Ev: Big Gay
Pixel: Magyars
Grikiard: Custom Viking
Grimmend: Jarldom of Hålogaland
Dago: Republic of Amalfi
Blacktide: Abbasid Caliphate
Bluehawk: Rurik
Hark: Sons of Ragnar
Draorn: West Francia

Now, hopefully everyone is happy with their selections and allocations! For those who selected "Custom Viking" for their country choice: Make sure to PM me with your character's name, House, heir (if any), and as much detail on their background and present situation as a landless Viking leader/adventurer as you can provide As Soon As Possible. Lastly, as noted above, with the volume of applications we in fact have exceeded my initial projections for the number of players; again, I am pleased with the degree of community interest in the BoP, but should processing Turn 0 become problematic with the current number of players, I may implement a waitlist if necessary to limit the number of players to an amount I can feasibly process for the long term health and continuation of the game. If you are placed on the waitlist, and I will inform you in this situation, worry not! This will be an intense and cutthroat game, and playerkills are not just a possibility, but a near certainty! Combined with the usual dynamics of the course of game leading to players dropping from the BoP, chances are you will not have long to wait.

On the progress front, I'm happy to report the core Mechanics are already finished, and will be posted below! Meanwhile, with the application stage closed and your players' countries selected, I've in fact already begun working on CCs, and have happily already completed 5 in record time. I will keep you all updated on the progress going towards the Turn 0 and the road to Turn 1, but in the meantime, keep your blades sharp, your shields stout, and your walls high: the Vikings are coming!

The Mechanics and Country Card!

I am pleased to present the Mechanics and Country Card for Balance of Power: 860 in their full for your view and familiarization! I have striven to simplify the mechanical processing as much as possible while still creating compelling mechanics to drive the game, particularly in the all-important fields of raiding and trading. The result is three simple sections: politics, economics, and war, which will define your country card from the smallest petty kingdom to the largest empire. Some numbers may be subject to change (and culture bonuses are a work in progress), but on the whole I am happy and proud of where the mechanics have ended up, and hope they will be both easy to grasp and provide a compelling background to the play of the game!

Politics:

In Balance of Power: 860, in lieu of strong centralized governments and national identities, politics is reflected in a relatively simple yet elegant system of the Ruling House and its interactions with Factions: powerful parties in the court or country who exercise a considerable influence on the politics of the realm. They can be a House or coalition of nobles, religious institutions or sects, exceptionally powerful provinces or cities, conquered ethnicities, or even the common people themselves, if sufficiently mobilized. Factions need not be merely groups of discontents (though they certainly can be, if your reign and rule runs contrary to their interests), but powerful social groups symbiotically aligned, allied, or intermarried with the ruler for their collective benefit. Their motivations, beliefs, and goals are nearly infinite, as are your means of dealing with them by means peaceful or violent, directly or indirectly, but the formula of calculating their threat to your reign, and thus their importance in your plans, is simple: the Faction’s Influence in the country, subtracted by the Faction’s Happiness. If it matches or exceeds the Authority of the Ruling House, there is a potential for revolt.

Thus, for example, consider an Influence score of “Dominant” for a Faction with a Happiness level at “Feud”. With happiness as its lowest possible level, it subtracts nothing against the Faction’s influence: even with a royal authority of Almighty, this Faction’s Threat will be Medium. In simple numeric terms, the lowest score is a 0, while the highest is a 4. If the score matches the Authority of the Ruling House, the threat will be Medium. If it exceeds the House’s Authority, the Threat will be High, and there is a potential for open revolt.

In addition, Factions have another factor correlating to impact on your realm’s economy. Each level below “Ambivalent” for each Faction’s Happiness will incur a 5% increase to the Government and Court Expenses.

Economy:

In this age of Vikings and Silk Road caravans, the road to wealth follows two paths: one of raids and conquest, and the other discussed here, of trade. With many people living off subsistence agriculture in the aftermath of the fall of Rome, and much of Europe’s governance divided between petty chiefs and nobility, many players will depend on these two paths for disposable income, and unlike other BoPs where trade is more of a passive element of diplomacy, in BoP: 860 it will take a more active and adventurous hand. Otherwise, the standard running of economics will be relatively straightforward: Taxes and tribute refer to the proceeds of the land and peoples under your control, and Trade Income the combined yearly proceeds of your trade routes and controlled entrepots. In general, Taxes and Tribute can be expanded by increasing the size of your realm and influence, and by land improvements, though for many with the state of technology in the Dark Ages the returns may be modest. Expenses are registered in two categories: your Military Upkeep, where you pay your retinue and your Armed Levy as well as for the maintenance of your ships, and the Government and Court Expenses, which covers the wages of your officials and clerks, which will vary depending on the complexity and size of your state; Petty Kingdoms require 5% of your overall revenue, Kingdoms 10%, and Empires 15%. In addition, discontent Factions in your realm will increase the expenses of the court by 5% per negative Happiness level per Faction to placate the notables of the kingdom with gifts and impress the wealth and power of the ruler upon them. Proceeds from raids, meanwhile, are deposited directly into the kingdom’s treasury.

Trade on the other hand is where real fortunes can be won, on the road and high seas following the adventures of merchant caravans. Contrary to previous BoPs, trade deals aren’t done by direct player-to-player diplomacy, but by sending your Merchant parties by order to Entrepots far and wide. Entrepots are major international marketplaces, and to establish trade deals, merchants must be sent to brave the dangers of the unknown. Each player has a limited number of merchants that can be sent out each turn, and each country possesses trade goods with which to trade with the outside world. Sending out merchants is relatively simple, ultimately requiring just the destination and they will handle the negotiations, but success is not guaranteed. Many dangers and pitfalls await on the road, and their chances can be improved by attaching Retinues, supplying funds for gifts and bribes, and charting their route yourself to avoid the worst of the perils of the world of the Dark Ages. If successful, they will earn 250 Silver per turn for every trade good produced by the Emporium owner that you do not possess. In addition, all Entrepots are ranked by size, from smallest to largest: Regional Trading Post, International Marketplace, and Grand Emporium. Regional Trading Posts have a x1 bonus to trade deals; International Marketplaces give a x2 multiplier; and finally Grand Emporiums provide a x3 modifier. Sending missions to more distant Entrepots entail higher chances of failure safely reaching the markets and making a deal, as well as greater risks of raiding on overextended trade routes: thus while they possess greater reward, it may be worth proliferating trade contacts to smaller, neighboring market Entrepots on more defensible routes!

Of last note, controlling an Entrepot as its owner not only gives you the income from your own established trade routes, but half the income from every foreign trade route destined for that Entrepot. Control of Entrepots is thus a potentially very lucrative source of income, and worth the competition for control! The Entrepots of the world are listed below, and will be reflected on the world map:

North Sea:
Kaupang, Hedeby, Visby, York, London, Dublin
Russia:
Novgorod, Kiev, Atil, Bolghar, Chersonesus
West Europe:
Paris, Aachen, Dorestad, Regensburg, Frankfurt, Rome, Verona, Naples, Palermo, Cordoba, Seville, Barcelona
East Europe:
Wolin, Nitra, Riga, Prague, Belgrade, Polotsk, Pliska
Balkans and Anatolia:
Constantinople, Thessalonica, Iconium, Athens, Antioch
The Orient:
Fez, Kairouan, Alexandria, Fustat (Cairo), Jerusalem, Aleppo, Damascus, Baghdad, Basra, Jedda, Sanaa, Isfahan, Shiraz, Ani, Ardabil, Merv, Samarkand
The Far East:
Turfan, Khotan, Chang’an, Guangzhou, Gyeongju, Heian, Kabul, Kannauj, Mansura, Pataliputra, Kanchipuram, Anuradhapura, Palembang
Africa:
Axum, Dongola, Kumbi Saleh, Njimi, Zeila, Kilwa, Ilé-Ifẹ̀
Beyond(?):
???

The list of trade goods is listed below:
Amber, Sea Ivory, Pitch, Furs, Hides and Leather, Antler, Seal Fat, Grain, Ale, Fish, Horses, Swords, Feather Down, Salt, Copper, Tin, Silver, Gold, Gems, Dyes, Wool, Cotton, Silk, Spices, Incense, Sugar, Honey, Wax, Wine, Perfume, Musk, Olives and Olive Oil, Marble, Dates, Pistachios, Glass, Porcelain, Tea, Ginger, Saffron, Pearls, Coral, Ivory, Ebony, Cedar, Sandalwood, Coffee, Paper/Parchment, Slaves, Hunting Dogs/Birds, Isinglass, Iron [Quantity], Wood [Quantity]

War:

In the era of warriors after the fall of Rome, permanent standing armies are few and far between, and are hosted only by the wealthiest of empires. Beyond the chosen retinue surrounding the kings court, most warriors are part-time soldiers, their lives dominated by cycles of farming, crafting, and raiding. The manpower of the kingdom is thus divided into three: the Total Levy, representing all fighting men available to be raised not in the standing retinue; the Armed Levy, constituting warriors who split their time seasonally between fighting and agriculture; and the Retinue, who are full-time professional warriors. The Armed Levy and Retinue are recruited from the Total Levy pool, and in lieu of standardized regiments, each unit recruited representing a single soldier. Manpower left over from the Armed Levy and Retinue will bring their own arms if called for war: some with varying kinds and quality of armament, and the rest with whatever implements they have on hand. Nonetheless, they can still be valuable to fill out the ranks of your armies, and to draw every hand available when the future of your kingdom is on the line. Armed Levies incur only half their recruitment cost in silver for maintenance, however, while Retinues require their full recruitment cost in maintenance. A fourth category represents your realm’s ships: all ships require half their recruitment silver cost in maintenance. Keep in mind naval vessels represent only the ship itself, and must be assigned soldiers for crew.

Warfare also has its differences, and can generally be divided into three categories based on your goals; Raids, Seasonal Campaigns, and Prepared Invasions. Raids are purely for plunder: raiding can be very lucrative, and are a good way to pay for the upkeep of your army/state or earn disposable income, but you can only summon your Retinue and up to a quarter of your Armed Levy on raids, and cannot permanently acquire territory. Seasonal Campaigns are a balance of plunder, conquest, and military commitment depending upon their objectives, and can summon up to the entire Armed Levy, but are limited to a single season of campaigning, and returns are also more limited overall, usually restricting conquests to trade-offs of border territories. Prepared Invasions are year-long campaigns that can summon from the Total Levy from across the land, and have the greatest payoffs in victory, but also the greatest risks in defeat, and if not adequately rewarded the levy will become discontent from time spent so long from the fields and harvest. These campaigns can nonetheless see the raising of new kingdoms, the seizure of key provinces, and even the total destruction of kingdoms. Each level of engagement has a corresponding likelihood of counter-engagement, with raids the most likely to get away without armed interception, and Prepared Invasions the most likely to see a climactic engagement.

The available unit cards presented below represent only the base units: some cultures may not have access to some cards, while others may have unique units not shown here. Custom units and unit cards can also be created and recruited by players during the game!

The Royal Court:
Country Name: (The name of your empire, kingdom, or ethnic group)
Ruling House: (The reigning dynasty of your kingdom)
Ruler: (Your monarch or chief elected representative)
Heir: (The chosen heir and successor to your state)
Authority: (How much legitimacy and power you have within your realm, organized from; Minimal, Weak, Average, Strong, and Almighty)
Claimants: (The alternatives to you and your chosen heir; can be other sons or daughters, powerful relatives, or influential nobles/neighbors)

Factions and Claimants:
Faction Name: (Factions can take many forms, from powerful noble Houses, ethnicities, religious groups/sects, or court political parties)
Leader: (The most prominent leader of the faction)
Influence: (How much support and power they have in the kingdom, organized from; Irrelevant, Weak, Moderate, Influential, and Dominant)
Happiness: (How content they are with the ruler and reigning House, organized from; Feud, Angry, Ambivalent, Content, and Harmonious)
Threat: (Threat is calculated by Influence subtracted by Happiness: if it matches or exceeds the score of the authority of the ruling house, there is a potential for revolt. Likewise, claimants compare their combined influence/happiness against the authority of the ruler themselves. Organized from Low, Medium, and High)

The Treasury:
Tax/Tribute Income: (The regular income you receive from the farmers, fishers, herders, craftsmen, and nobility in your realm)
Trade Income: (Income received from your trade routes and controlled entrepots)

Military Upkeep: (The expenses incurred from the maintenance of your Retinues and Armed Levies)
Government and Court Expenses: (5% of your income for Petty Kingdoms, 10% for Kingdoms, 15% for Empires, and +5% for each unhappy faction in your country)

Stored in Treasury: (Coin, treasure, and loot stored from surplus from previous turns: Plunder gained from raiding is deposited directly here)
Available to Spend This Turn: (The total available to spend after expenses and prior surplus)

Merchants:
Merchant Parties and Caravans: (How many merchants are available for trade missions this turn)

Controlled Entrepots: (Major international trade hubs under your control)

Goods Produced: (Strategic and trade goods produced by your kingdom)

Trade Deals: (Your currently negotiated trade deals with other kingdoms)

Council of War:
Total Levy: (Total population available for recruitment)
Armed Levy: (Part-time warriors, they have half the full maintenance cost of their units but can only be raised for Seasonal Campaigns without potential discontent)
Naval Levy: (Fleets available to be raised: Ships require half of their recruitment cost in maintenance)

Retinue: (Full time professional warriors, they have a full maintenance cost but can be used freely in any campaign as well as providing protection for your ruler)

Base Unit Cards:
Light Infantry: Lightly equipped infantry, usually armed with sword, spear, or axe, and defended only by a shield and helmet.
2 Silver per Warrior + 1 Iron

Archers: Ranged infantry wielding bows, crossbows, javelins, darts, or slings. Typically lightly armored or un-armored.
4 Silver Per Warrior + 1 Wood

Heavy Infantry: Armored infantry, armed with swords, spears, or axes, and armored with reinforced leather, chain, or lamellar.
5 Silver per Warrior + 3 Iron

Light Cavalry: Horse riders equipped with swords, axes, or spears and either unarmored or in light armor such as cloth or leather.
8 Silver Per Warrior + 5 Iron

Horse Archers: Cavalry specialized in archery from the saddle, typically lightly armored.
10 Silver Per Warrior + 1 Wood

Heavy Cavalry: Well-armored cavalry on larger horses, they wield swords, axes, or lances, and are armored in chain, scale, or lamellar.
20 Silver Per Warrior + 10 Iron

Cataphracts: The heaviest armored warriors in the world, these mounted soldiers are girded in combinations of the finest chain and lamellar armor for unparalleled protection.
40 Silver Per Warrior + 20 Iron

War Elephants: Hailing from the savannas of Africa or the jungles of the Far Orient, these fearsome beasts are the most terrible weapon of war in the pre-modern world, equivalent to tanks of the modern day, and often heavily armored. Nonetheless, they require painstaking (and expensive) training from birth to be tamed for war, and are prone to run amok if spooked.
1,000 Silver Per Elephant

Ship Cards:
Coracle/Currach: [Crew of Two] The smallest of all boats, these simple boats are lightweight frames of interlacing wood stretched over with leather to form a vessel. They are suitable for riverine or coastal voyages, and for those brave enough cross-strait crossings, and can be easily carried overland by a single person, but they can only hold two people afloat per boat.
5 Silver per Boat + 2 Wood

Karvi/Knarr/Galley/Dhow: [Crew of 26] Oft designed and destined for trade, not war, these ships nonetheless are capable of filling in the battle line when called upon for war. They are steady troop transports and supply ships, but are not the best handling when it comes to the tight turns and heavy jostling of ships in battle.
100 Silver Per Ship + 10 Wood

Snekkja/War Galley/War Dhow: [Crew of 42] The mainstay of many fleets, these ships can carry a respectable crew of warriors, and their sailing characteristics are better suited to swift maneuvers and steady platforms in battle.
200 Silver Per Ship + 20 Wood

Skeið/Dromon/Sambuk: [Crew of 80] The center of any naval battle line, these are the true warships, capable of carrying large crews of armed soldiers and holding their own in the crush of battle as well as weathering the storms of long voyages.
350 Silver Per Ship + 35 Wood

Drakkar/Imperial Dromon/Baghlah: [Crew of 150] The pride of any chief, king, or emperor who owns them, these are the largest ships afloat, capable of carrying in excess of a hundred men across great distances and through terrible battles unscathed. They are often richly decorated, and serve as the flagship for the commanding lord or admiral.
800 Silver Per Ship + 50 Wood

If you have any questions, or spot any inconsistencies/ambiguities, let me know and I'll try and explain or clarify as soon as possible! Otherwise, with the country selections and mechanics complete, I have already begun work on the CCs, and will keep you posted on progress as it comes. Hopefully, with some luck and good progress, I hope to have the Turn 0 released soon! In the meantime, enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom