[Sub-mod]1866: Western Mod - For a few years more

Users who are viewing this thread

Hiya, partners! I've played 1866 to death for years and -of course- I added my touches to this great mod; over those years these touches amassed and transformed the mod, little by little. Now, while the thread is labeled as Sub-mod, I will not yet upload the file, for these reasons: a)I sent a PM to yellowmosquito to ask if he allows sub-mods to be available publicly, b)I need to contact authors of some items I used in my personal module, mainly Docm for some L'Aigle hair and beards and c)my Internet is crap and even with all permissions received, it will be agonizing to upload the file. Still, I can share my changes with you, in depth analyzing them and posting screenshots of what is changed. Hope you like them and I'd be happy to receive suggestions/ideas/criticism/whatever you want to say. Most of what I mention can be seen in screenshots in the Media Section. Without further ado:

Changelog
  • Music and Sounds: The horse sounds have been revamped with more realistic ones and also, a bit louder. All the songs of the mod have been changed; I refrained from using Sound tracks from famous movies, instead preferring to use instrumental music with guitars and all that western feeling.
  • User Interface: The font is changed, to a more "typical western" one. Completely new, hand-crafted, screens for the Inventory, Party Menu, all Character menus(Face gen menu included), new buttons, you name it. The focus of the new interface was wood, leather and old paper.
  • Faces: Some of the American male faces changed, all the American female faces replaced with other, higher quality ones. Same goes with Mexican faces, male and female. As for the Indians, it bothered me from the start that all Indian male faces were old and their eyes seemed to be really dark, black allover, even, making them look like demons. Now, there are old AND young face choices and faces with paint on them to chose from(I made them with historical paint patterns, not the Halloween-y ones). As for indian female faces, they were red in the original mod; red as the red women from Mars, in the John Carter novels. So, completely new faces for them, too.
  • New Beards and hair styles: Well, self-explanatory, really.
  • Environments: Many textures of the environment were added, many were re-made and many were discared and replaced by more appropriate ones. Shop signs re-textured, whiskey bottles of the period replaced the more humorous ones of the original mod and each model and texture of anything related to environment(buildings, trees, particles, whatever) carefully examined and when needed, improved.
  • Horses: Now, horses received a make-over in appearance as well as in quality. Now, they are completely without armor value, more balanced and realistic speed and maneuver values and new prices, I hope quite historically accurate. As for their appearance, most of the horses have now, besides the saddle, a blanket(folded in the back of the saddle), an ammo pouch, a canteen and such. Also, 4 new horses and a couple of retextured ones. Finally, in many of the mod's horses there was a black spot visible under their belly, on their hind legs; now, that is fixed.
  • Hats: A lot of new things going on here. Most hats retextured, with a couple of hat textures up-scaled, as I found that 256x256 was a bit of a low resolution, even by M&B standards. A lot of new hats present(more than 30 new models), not only from the "Old West", but also English, Canadian, Chinese, you name it. Also, a couple of pipes, a pair of glasses, a monocle and a nun's hood and a couple of bandanas.
  • Clothes: A lot of new things going on here as well. Every US army uniform re-textured to a more vibrant color and according to historical standards. Also, for infantry privates, rucksacks, blankets added, as well as canteen for anyone up to the rank of major. New uniforms for a number of real regiments and units added for both the US and the CS, such as Berdan's sharpshooters, Clynch rifles, US marines(the 1865 uniform), Lynchburg rifles, Alabama Dragoons, Tennessee Infantry, Zouaves etc. A lot of 'cowboy' shirts added and a couple of shirts with vests. A priest cassock, a priest frock, a nun's habit and a couple of mid-19th century Chinese costumes added. New, better dresses for women, new overcoats, a whole new selection of French uniforms of the Expeditioary force sent to Mexico, new ponchos. All the Mexican army uniforms re-textured or entirely replaced by better quality and historically more accurate uniforms. New coats and shirts for sheriffs, complete with the star, new vests. Some(I am amazed to say really few, actually) typos of the original mod fixed and all the values for the clothes fixed. Armor values that make more sense, for clothing, re-balanced prices. The Indian clothes follow in the same logic; new costumes, re-textured ones.
  • Melee weapons: Now, here a lot of changes have taken place. A lot of new melee weapons added, knives, machetes, swords, a sword-cane, axes, hammers, tools, whatever. From the old models, those I decided to keep, I re-textured. There was a problem with the original textures, that is also located with the firearms; most, since I guess the authors used parts of photos from original weapons, were rusty, dark, with heavy patinas on them, which is natural for 150 years-old weapons. But since the mod takes places in 1866, the weapons should be new! I've taken care of that. All the weapons are nice and shiny, where they should be, with normal maps and specular maps added to each accordingly. Reach fixed for many of them, as well as damage values, weight and speed. The two native Indian shields were re-textured, as well, with more items added to the shield category, mainly off-hand knives.
  • Ranged weapons: Since we are talking about a western, a lot of work has been done in this category, specifically. The same texture problem with old-looking, rusty and patina-ridden handguns persisted. Now, all the guns look new, each one re-textured. In this point, I ask for your forgiveness, because I took the liberty and added a couple of firearms later manufactured, like the S&W Model 3 and the Colt SAA of 1873. I just couldn't resist. A couple of firearms added to ranged weapons, mainly chassepot musketoons and carbines, a Berdan rifle, a grenadoe, some knock-offs and conversions, like the Sisterdale revolver. ALL the firearms names changed to their official name and model. A couple of new models were added, made by me; namely, the Barnes Pepperbox and the Continental Arms Pepperbox. Also, the damage system is completely changed. I found it annoying that the 'cool' factor was taken into account, making some Colt and Remington models have way more damage and speed than any other weapon. Now, the damage value is the caliber of the weapon for handguns(like 44, 36, 31, 22 etc.) and for rifles, the caliber times 2. Liberties have been taken for reasons of balance and sanity. Reload speed adjusted accordingly. I found my system to work really good and produce a more enjoyable experience. Now, anyone can die by a bullet and health is important, but not to the point of receiving 3 bullet wounds to the head and surviving.
  • Troops: Since the troop trees for every faction were overhauled, I will explain each of them in detail. Generally, I tried to have a lot of different troops, historically accurate in their armament and clothing, but I did not want to be 'trapped' to dry historical surroundings.
    [list type=decimal]
  • United States: The army of the US is based on the historical regiments found in Texas about the same time as the mod, the start of the Indian Wars. Now, your troops can advancy only up to lance corporals, as it didn't have much sense to see an army of sergeants, as in the original mod. All units, cavalry and infantry, use historically accurate weapons. The volunteer units of this faction include the famed Berdan's sharpshooters, the Zouaves and a detached regiment of the Canadian army.
  • Mexico:A thing that bothered me in the original mod is that the Mexicans used the uniforms from the 1840s, were Imperial units and had Juarista commanders. In the sub-mod, the army is the imperial army of the 1860s, with the uniforms to match, new units and most importantly, Imperial Officers, also with the correct uniforms.
  • Apaches:For the Apaches, I wanted to have a troop tree that would reflect the tribes present to the Southwest, mostly. So, they have a diverse ranged of troops with Chiricahua Apaches, Mescalero and Navajo Apaches.
  • Comanches: As for the Coanches, I also wanted variety, but in terms of units. You have bowmen, mounted and unmounted, riflemen and very competent tomahawk and mace fighters.
  • Confederate Renegades:For the Confederates, I added some units to each roaming party, making them not just bandits, but in later game, a considerable force. The Infantry and Cavalry branches are fleshed out, with units like the Alabama dragoons, the Virginia Cavalry, Lynchburg rifles etc. and not just generic Infantry or Cavalry. The standard infantry units have their kepis, too, and not just white stetsons.
  • French Expeditionary Force:Now, as I mentioned, the army of the Mexican faction had Imperial troops and the roaming 'Imperial' patrols, which were opposed to all, Mexico included, were also Imperial units, which didn't make much sense. Now, the roaming patrols belong to the French expeditionary force, sent to Mexico(see here for more info). These patrols include one Officer each, standard French Infantry and Cavalry units and also, Foreign Legion Infantry and Cavalry. As always, with the correct equipment, all of those units.

[/list]

TO BE CONTINUED...

Media
***WARNING*** Large Images; I've already resized them, but not to a point that they are small and invisible!

g948jalhhp8y4lpzg.jpg

2egbpx37f1nr331zg.jpg
x7ey6vi67hc5aq7zg.jpg

e1g0i205c1x03wjzg.jpg
kre7gwqkwgn6norzg.jpg

abo6v3kkdz3cscnzg.jpg

x1objnkk3ivwe81zg.jpg
op25wmw5gxdutpxzg.jpg

fx78fxiu08mr4uxzg.jpg
27740vlccni2y43zg.jpg

6ykz4jody4v4b70zg.jpg

j6e5ri5kmy8cx1qzg.jpg
5mahm12ee5hut5mzg.jpg
eipsetktirg46r6zg.jpg

c0m0k63s4ox8peyzg.jpg

18c7kz4g3qb633zzg.jpg

5wf8069yunshr7uzg.jpg
japcgupq8hzgrpnzg.jpg

nacktad4m0066f3zg.jpg

k8an71czl5kkw86zg.jpg
dq2k0cph47a2b1dzg.jpg

aqqy121tsf70a87zg.jpg

569va3m80ky205vzg.jpg

53lwsq4jg9bs9a9zg.jpg

9bbfephnfep9j3lzg.jpg

ak2ta55x9ai2npnzg.jpg

1t9i2p11915x3lozg.jpg

8chs5o8c6zkkpyfzg.jpg

aatafewy4ds44s8zg.jpg

Download Links
Google Drive

Last edited:
Credits
-The original authors, of course. Without them, this sub-mod would not exist.
-Rejenost and a lot of other Youtubers for royalty free songs and sounds
-The Blood and Iron team , for making their older work OSP
-A russian modeller in the Commando site for his Deringer Model 95
-Quintillus, for some models, used with permission
-Shredzorz for the Age of False Innocence OSP

To be continued...

They are up, since 8/6. Second post. More will be added, much like more features will be added, as I remember them(some things were done back in 2013 or 2014).  :razz:

Wow, finally someone tried continuing this mod! :smile: I hope he does reply to you. I've asked him a while back with a desire to port it over to WB, but he never got back to me :sad:

Good luck and I look forward to trying out your version

Thanks, it means a lot coming from you! I've already PMed yellowmosquito(seeing he was back in April 2019), I hope he answers. I would love(much like a great number of modders out there) to have a module system available, to add some QoL stuff, edit others etc.  :smile:

1866 was one of the better mods for original M&B, but I haven't been able to get the original game to work since "upgrading" to Windows 10.  The really galling part is that I preferred many aspects of original M&B over the changes in Warband, even though the increased stability and memory handling were needed.  Since 1866 isn't available for Warband, I've been unable to play it.  While I appreciate that someone is working on the old classic mod, I'm disappointed that I can't try the changes.

I, in turn am happy that a lot of people still play this awesome mod and I'm not the sole survivor.  :razz:
Anyway, I tried porting the mod to Warband, but due to the custom animations, scripts and some other stuff, it cannot be done without the Module system and I don't know even if it can be done with it; I'm guessing it can be done, but I could be wrong.

Great work.  :cool:

I've always loved this mod, one of the main reasons why abandoning the original game for Warband would be short-sighted. Pity it never got properly ported to Warband, but I'm very happy you're trying to breathe some new life into it and even do minor corrections to the historical accuracy. For us old fans of the mod (still my favourite unofficial Western game ever, no joke), this is a pleasant surprise and a real godsend. :smile:

I really hope someone makes Bannerlord:1866  :grin:

But that they keep the spaghetti western feel of this original 1866. Playing a cliche is so much more fun than historical accuracy...

I wonder if a "cut off" point could reasonably exist for mod permissions. 1866 hasn't been worked on for up to 8 years, and yellowmosquito hasn't visited the forums in five months, at one point even having been away for over a year. I'd doubt that permission even needs given for a submod that relies on a pre-existing mod, such as yours, and for other projects I feel as if some leeway should be given as to uploading mods using 1866's content. If it isn't being developed any further (that we know of) and its developers aren't around to be asked for permission, at that point I feel it should be considered abandonware and open to free public usage and redistribution.

Unfortunately, no, there's not point like that, when a mod is considered abandonware, unless it is officially declared dead by the developer and open for use. And yes, I asked a moderator to release it, as it is basically a sub-mod(although I added as many things as I could without the module system and most of the original mod content is edited, one way or the other, from items to even sounds and some minor script tweaks -sadly, just text edits-).

Here's hoping you get permission! 1866 made me reinstall M&B again, and even without Warband's fancier features it still holds up amazingly well.

A suggestion: would it be possible for you to add more "walkers" and guards to towns and (especially) saloons? Villages as well. It'd definitely make things feel more lively, even though settlements already feel more active than vanilla.

Hmm, good suggestion. I haven't really tried to add such things with just text files, but I can take a look at what code snippet handles amount of town walkers in the Module system and adjust accordingly. So, yes, it could very well be possible. I won't add a ton, though, as I don't want to make the mod heavy on performance. The vanilla M&B has a cap for memory usage, iirc and while I worked towards eliminating memory crashes, the game lags with, e.g. battles over 150 in number. Not heavily, but still.

Also, my next goal is to update/upgrade/develop the shaders and the skyboxes of the mod. My sub-mod already uses Iron Launchers, like in Star Wars Conquest, because I have custom Fonts and such.

Thanks for the interest! The mod is 100% playable, there are no bugs, type errors or anything. What I would need help with is historical background, corrections and such. Due to not having the module system available, I didn't add any new code-based features or (what I would really like to have) new environments and weather options. Also, until I receive permission for some of the things I use, I cannot share the mod, sadly. I hope that during this week or fortnight, at most, I will have it. Then, I welcome anyone to participate and change/suggest anything. I am by no means an expert at the history of the Old West, any help would be most welcome. Thanks!  :smile:

Back
Top Bottom