Author Topic: Dev Blog 21/03/19  (Read 15358 times)

caisa

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
Re: Dev Blog 21/03/19
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2019, 02:02:07 PM »
Hi. I'm new to this forum but i have to say something.
It bothers me that you never took into consideration de existence of roads. In neither of your games.
It really bothers me that there are no roads between cities, or between cities and villages.
They are and were essential to every civiliation from ancient times. Trading is an essential mechanic in this game. Can trading exist without roads (even in real life)? Have you heard of the Silk Road (the example it's a bit exagerated but i hope i made my point)?
The thing is that this blog was about party speed. Can you really overlook the impact of roads on armies and parties? Even in ancient Rome they would build roads to solidify their conquests, by ensuring rapid response of their legions when they were needed! Make roads an essential part of your game. How hard can it really be (I'm asking, i really don't know)?
But imagine the strategic importance of them. You could build forts on roads to block acces to some regions (choke points)! You could move armies with relative ease between regions!
I could say much more but i hope i don't have to and you will realize yourself the benefits of this mechanic.
I hope that some dev will read this!

Morelen

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2019, 02:51:18 PM »
It bothers me that you never took into consideration de existence of roads. In neither of your games.
It really bothers me that there are no roads between cities, or between cities and villages.
They are and were essential to every civiliation from ancient times. Trading is an essential mechanic in this game. Can trading exist without roads (even in real life)? Have you heard of the Silk Road (the example it's a bit exagerated but i hope i made my point)?
The thing is that this blog was about party speed. Can you really overlook the impact of roads on armies and parties? Even in ancient Rome they would build roads to solidify their conquests, by ensuring rapid response of their legions when they were needed! Make roads an essential part of your game. How hard can it really be (I'm asking, i really don't know)?
But imagine the strategic importance of them. You could build forts on roads to block acces to some regions (choke points)! You could move armies with relative ease between regions!
I could say much more but i hope i don't have to and you will realize yourself the benefits of this mechanic.

This + 1000 please !!  Yeah well... maybe not the ability to build forts, as I understand this may not be easily implemented at this stage of development and we all would like to play the game one day, before dying of old age. But simply adding roads and make it so travel goes faster on them, with highwaymen and bandits looking for easy preys....It would add sooo much to the strategic aspect of commerce and safe travel.  And quite frankly, it IS a bit strange that this feature was overlooked. Keep working TW, keep dreaming and deliver the game !  :)

fadohacolu

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2019, 03:05:24 PM »
Why don't TW, show some of that "transparency" you talk about, and give us a release date? Beyond a joke is an understatement, I think TW will be breaking gaming records upon the final release, and not in a good way

This is also my concern. I've been wavering on whether or not I'm actually going to buy it. Even if I don't however, I sure have had fun in these forums. The angst around this game is keeping things interesting enough, for now.

John the Roleplayer

• Knight at Arms
  • The one who bought the book
    • Steam - thedukeofm
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2019, 03:10:50 PM »
Having the total party speed always displayed alone is a significant improvement. In Warband you always had to mouse over your party, and it would only show speed while moving, not while the map was paused.

ngaborino

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • WBVCWF&S
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2019, 03:12:09 PM »
I think adding roads would require a lot of balancing. A road system would copletly reshuffle the economical balance. Roads will mean faster caravans, faster caravans will speed up trading. But production wont get faster, so that would reshuffle a lot of things. And regions with more, and better roads would profit more from trading. And this is just economy, but I guess it would affect bandit behaviour, campaigns etc...
I am bit disappointed about they left it out initially, but when (and if) I will finally play the actual game I guess I will tolerate it somehow.

So in a nutshell don't expect roads to be in the game.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 04:06:22 PM by ngaborino »

Reapy

• Sergeant Knight at Arms
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Reapy
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2019, 03:54:45 PM »
Just piling in with roads, would really add a lot of flavor to the world. Though has been said a whole lot so eh.

I like that they are revealing the numbers under the game, especially the speed. I have to say I was pretty suck at the single player because I never understood things that were happing. One of my pet peeves was for how important party speed was it was hard to tell how to manipulate the numbers. The other peeve was how healing up after a battle always felt awkward, like camp at the town, watch it go fast forward for some duration and then guess that my health might be recovered, nope, go back and spend another night etc.  I just really wanted to see my health counting up as I was resting so I knew when to stop resting.

Also on the drip feed of the blogs, I'm fine with it, it's better than radio silence. Thing is development is a slow process and there isn't often a lot to show that has been done in a week in most jobs. Like hey, look at all the bugs I squashed or hey I added in a new text field to the editor, but then I took it out cause turns out that didn't work and, hey, look at the new textures/models/levels I finished up.

I mean basically developing games IS a drip feed of this, small little things take a while.

So yeah, sure it's obvious fluff, but really do we want to go back to seeing absolutely nothing again?

Terco_Viejo

• Spanish Gifquisition
  • Knight
  • Muchas gracias... pero ésto es un Tercio español.
    • View Profile
    • Caballeros de Calradia (Comunidad Mount & Blade en Español)
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2019, 04:17:01 PM »

Taleworlds a suggestion when it is time to make more blogs...review what has been officially published and what information you know the fan knows.
Considering the above...is it necessary to make a monothematic blog of the party speed? Absolutely not.

Duh before becoming Duh_Taleworlds made this great video (Gamescom 2018) very important for the community as it provided much more information than we could find in more than 10 devblogs together (and no, I'm not exaggerating). If you go to min. 2:14 (link) you will find the "new" info that we are told today (March 2019) in this "new" devblog.

Apart from this in the devblog 05/10/17 we were told:
[...]When an army is gathered it becomes almost like a moving settlement, with its own UI overlay on the campaign map. The UI shows:

Army morale
    Lords and their parties
    Food supplies
    Marching speed (players can see factors affecting the marching speed from a tooltip)
[...]
[...]Another aspect of the new army system is that armies use pooled resources to support their campaigns. This means that if one lord brings some food, butter, for instance, then the rest of the army will be fed. Likewise, horses and mules are shared, increasing the movement speed of the entire army.  [...]

I hope that those who thought that the devblogs were previously prepared have dropped the blessing of their eyes because today it has been shown that the improvisation that was noticed in the blogs was not an unfounded fact.

Personally I think it would have been better to postpone-delay the devblog for next week than to have published all this devblog that could easily be summarized in a phrase like "party speed on the map UI with face lifting".

Things like today are what make your relationships with your fans even worse. Do what you want...I'm just another unimportant fan.

#ConstructiveCriticism

---

@NPC99

Do not take it as if what I say was an aggressive criticism or a direct attack on you ... I know you prefer to highlight "the good things" of the blog ... However mate, considering the information you handle ... I can not understand that you can "defend" this type of blogs that are nothing more than fallacies made text.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 05:00:09 PM by Terco_Viejo »
Rejoice, the coming of the Lord is near

panem

• Veteran
  • Escape the cursed fate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2019, 04:22:05 PM »
1) would it be two or more soldier riding on on single animal?
Nice one taleworlds, will there be riding of elephants? chariots? What kind of horses can move fast on what terrain? And about the packing of extra pack mules, Sumpter horses, pack camels, if you were to have a party of let's say 200 infantrymen, how would you fit the animals into your inventory slots? Will it be unlimited or what?

2) would it be ambush?
It would be better if you gave us the opportunity to put an infantryman in the saddle behind the rider in multiplayer. Infantry constantly left behind on large maps.

3) would it be build/destroy the road?
difference from slave,  Anti-hero without their own village, they leave you,
their own village under attacked, they betray and to be your enemy,
their own village better than you, they will think how to take over your's

Rackie

• Regular
  • Hello.Have a nice day and consider going outside.
    • Twitter - RackiePRO
    • Twitch.tv - RackieW
    • YouTube - Rackie Warzone
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sarranid
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2019, 04:23:37 PM »
Any News on Elephants ?
Cool Camel :D
how about elephant

No elephants in Calradia, but the horse skeletons can be changed so elephant models in mods are possible and will work better than in Warband.

(click to show/hide)

1) Castles, Towns
2) I hope so. Thay makes more sence than it just being a skill.

(click to show/hide)

There are paths and there are bridges. Enough imo

Why don't TW, show some of that "transparency" you talk about, and give us a release date? Beyond a joke is an understatement, I think TW will be breaking gaming records upon the final release, and not in a good way

It was never a joke so I don't see how it can go beyong that. And no, there are plenty of games with longer than 10 years of development

(click to show/hide)

He is expressing his love for the video game ~
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 04:53:32 PM by Rackie »
Have a nice day and consider going outside. Bye.

CKyHC

• Sergeant Knight
  • Ego sum rex Romanus et supra grammaticos
    • Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2019, 04:53:35 PM »
I think adding roads would require a lot of balancing. A road system would copletly reshuffle the economical balance. Roads will mean faster caravans, faster caravans will speed up trading. But production wont get faster, so that would reshuffle a lot of things. And regions with more, and better roads would profit more from trading. And this is just economy, but I guess it would affect bandit behaviour, campaigns etc...
I am bit disappointed about they left it out initially, but when (and if) I will finally play the actual game I guess I will tolerate it somehow.

So in a nutshell don't expect roads to be in the game.

but can you just visually add roads for .. beauty? :|

Duh before becoming Duh_Taleworlds made this great video (Gamescom 2018) very important for the community as it provided much more information than we could find in more than 10 devblogs together (and no, I'm not exaggerating). If you go to min. 2:14 (link) you will find the "new" info that we are told today (March 2019) in this "new" devblog.

#ConstructiveCriticism

I think it fit and 20 blogs
but Callum always says that blogs are not for us but for beginners in the game. :Р
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 04:56:44 PM by CKyHC »

Rackie

• Regular
  • Hello.Have a nice day and consider going outside.
    • Twitter - RackiePRO
    • Twitch.tv - RackieW
    • YouTube - Rackie Warzone
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sarranid
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2019, 05:24:33 PM »
(click to show/hide)

The blogs are made for new recruits as much as it is for fans. (Or mayeb even more). Not everyone has read every single blog in every site about bannerlord.

Also, while it isnt necessary, that is what the blogs are. They explain some things more in detail.
Have a nice day and consider going outside. Bye.

B1G0T

• Squire
  • Permanently Banned
  • =/=
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • WBNWVCWF&SM&B
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2019, 06:17:13 PM »
The blogs are made for new recruits as much as it is for fans.
but Callum always says that blogs are not for us but for beginners in the game. :Р

What? When did Callum say the blogs aren't for us? I remember him saying some are meant for both parties but never exclusively newcomers?

Also, couldn't I argue that to attract new comers that a more effective approach would be to do a blog with some "fireworks" - like something cool/interesting? A video?
New comers don't give a **** about party speed, much less veteran players.
I speak in Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to my Horse - Charles V

DtheHun

• Sergeant Knight
  • MLP nick: Peach Zephyr
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Khergit
  • M&BWB
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2019, 06:44:01 PM »

Taleworlds a suggestion when it is time to make more blogs...review what has been officially published and what information you know the fan knows.
Considering the above...is it necessary to make a monothematic blog of the party speed? Absolutely not.

(click to show/hide)

Terco, I have been the witness, how your collecting work turned from source of hopeful discussions into source of discontent. You have put a lot of effort into it - what I really appreciate - , so it's sad to see that now it's a pain for yourself - and the devs (not that sad) when you remind them about the lack of true advancement. They are targeting casual followers, and - seeing the mostly positive reactions - it works for them. How I would like to take some lobotomy pills to reset my mind, and enjoy the new UI and rearranged info week by week, but I also can't. Not in the seventh year. Let admit, that memory is not a blessing in this part of the internet.

Cheers.

NPC99

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SVC
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2019, 07:09:24 PM »

@NPC99

Do not take it as if what I say was an aggressive criticism or a direct attack on you ... I know you prefer to highlight "the good things" of the blog ... However mate, considering the information you handle ... I can not understand that you can "defend" this type of blogs that are nothing more than fallacies made text.
(click to show/hide)

The flaws in my memory let me see the same things anew again and again.  :D

l love that the map icons are now so detailed and mirror the underlying architecture used in the town/castle scenes.

I highlight what I see. My only issue is on interview blogs. The interviewee takes our responses more personally than Callum. It must be dispiriting for them, if the only responses are complaints unrelated to the work they’re exhibiting.

Terco_Viejo

• Spanish Gifquisition
  • Knight
  • Muchas gracias... pero ésto es un Tercio español.
    • View Profile
    • Caballeros de Calradia (Comunidad Mount & Blade en Español)
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2019, 07:34:54 PM »
Mates is not a matter of memory is that the information is published by Taleworlds on the internet, there's the point. They have so many blogs and cheap wordiness that they don't know what they have published, or what they have said the day before yesterday...that you think I have a database  :lol:? not at all...a quick search on the net with keywords and voilà...collated information.

Dedicated to vicwiz007
Rejoice, the coming of the Lord is near