?Unofficial Bannerlord PC Workshop

Users who are viewing this thread

fb97a1cbba9bc411a3fb47698aa5cb7e.png
aba4a35fbbff2695b1dcc74baa463cd1.png
0611a404520ac8a7ac1c9592cbdbe201.png

Hello everyone, my name is Alexander, like many of you, Im a longtime fan of the Mount & Blade series .I am one of the captains teams Hawkband, but this is not my only role in team. When someone in Hawkband builds new PC for Bannerlord (smiles) he comes to me for advice. Creating PC configurations, building and configuring them it is my hobby and I like to help others with that. Therefore, we would like to contribute to the Mount & Blade community on behalf of our clan by creating a small workshop as a theme on the Tale Worlds forum.

[size=16pt]Our idea include:

- issue a small series of articles devoted to the selection of components and related accessories and peripherals;
- creating PC builds for different budgets;
- answers to your questions in the forum.

If anyone sees my messages errors or inaccuracies regarding the topic of iron, of software, or if you just want to give advice, I will gladly listen to you and will adopt your experience.

Publication №1: OS optimization
Publication №1: OS optimization

Our objective is to spend money wisely on PC and get the best performance at the lowest cost. We will not proceed immediately to the selection of a new computer or components, the purchase of all at once can lead to unnecessary costs. Problems with low performance in games arise from a variety of reasons. Therefore, our way we will start with the optimization of the OS and software cleaning PC.

If you are an experienced user then you can skip this publication!

The methods listed below will not make your computer more productive than it was, but only return its performance to its original state. If you are a competent user and well followed your PC the maximum that you can get by doing the manipulation below is improved responsiveness and speed of the OS. Only a new video card driver can raise FPS, a patch that brings optimization to the game or a remote hidden miner with a couple of Trojans can raise the number of frames.

Well lets get started! First of all, pay attention to the version and type of Windows. For best performance, use Windows 10 (x64), Windows 8.1 (x64), or Windows 7(x64).
        Bit depth (x64) allows the OS to use more than 4 GB of RAM. Most new programs and games run on (x64) bit systems only.

fdb9f4f08ee0e8ef76ba2421f30e2e29.png
          If you decide to reinstall the OS, first of all you need to know what drivers are available for your OS and motherboard. To find out the model of your motherboard, enter the command in cmd " wmic baseboard get product". When you find out the model, look for the drivers for it. In rare cases, the motherboard has several revisions, respectively, for each revision of the motherboard has its own drivers. Revision can be viewed only, opening the PC cover.

From myself I can recommend Windows 10 (1809). In the first place because of the relevance, increased safety, and programmatic support to DXR.

DXR is a technology that allows you to support ray tracing in a new line of graphics cards from Nvidia).

To reinstall you need a flash drive from 8 GB and the official utility from Microsoft Windows 10 Media Creation Tool it will help to easily make a bootable USB flash drive and record an official image on it Windows 10 (1809). be careful the program will remove all your files from the flash drive!!!

Remember before reinstalling you need to save all the necessary files and keys and software licenses, as they can be deleted!!!

After reinstallation of OC install necessary drivers from the official website. Do not use driver packs and third-party sites!!
          Which way you would not go in any case cost a little to optimize the OS.
          1) Disable unnecessary visual effects (I usually leave that on only 2 points).

36613612e27366290b937f038b3c455b.png
a4f428062b929fc3d197c926c0441e0a.png
2312511f207de0fdcbee12547b27bb75.png
          2) Remove CFG Win 10 protection (this lowers the protection against exploits, but significantly increases the speed of the Windows interface)

If your computer is often viruses and advertising recommend not to disable this component of protection.
6bb03be8cbc87cb2f820bf42ddf8cbdf.png
ffbd4a6d4474a823d70a0c460c805ee1.png
          3) Uninstall unused programs.
          4) Disable background work of unnecessary programs Win 10 settings--->Privacy--->
a5fbb6488db4f156a3dc2576bd7daed7.png
        5) Remove unnecessary programs from startup ctrl+alt+delete ---> task manager
00fafccc49139fb8b5faee9d3b1f474b.png
          6) Free up space on the disk where the operating system is installed.
f072232af7a559af7ae40b60f1285b43.jpg
          7)Antivirus. This is my favorite item because many users are worth a few pieces at once. If you are in doubt about what to choce, then all is simple.Leave the one in which the license is paid, if both antiviruses are free or not activated, then I recommend removing both and installing Bitdefender free or Kaspersky free (I recommend registering and logging in to your accounts so that you are not disturbed by notifications). Also a good option is a built-in antivirus in Win 10. I have been using these products on different PCs for a long time and they satisfy me in all respects.There are other good anti-virus products, but they are often full of ads and a bunch of annoying notifications. Below I left a comparative table of the site PC MAG for free antivirus and a link to articles on paid and free products.
          Сравнительная таблица с сайта PC MAG:
7cf16989501364549696ee37809662b3.png
https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/267984/the-best-free-antivirus-protection
https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/256703/the-best-antivirus-protection
          You can still turn off services, telemetry, and more, but it will not give a tangible increase and speed. At the same time, it is possible to disable the necessary components for the proper operation of Windows. Therefore, at this stage, I propose to complete the optimization process.

Publication №2: Cleaning the computer and replacing the thermal interface - part 1

Publication №3: Cleaning the computer and replacing the thermal interface - part 2 (updated 21.03.2019)

Publication №4: Choosing a GPU

Publication №5: How to choose a CPUhttps://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,382322.msg9097363.html#msg9097363https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,382322.msg9097363.html#msg9097363https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,382322.msg9097363.html#msg9097363

[url=https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,382322.msg9103692.html#msg9103692]Publication №6: How to choose case

P.S. Thanks for the help:
- Kalistrat (text design);
- Bulba (translate);
- CKyHC (draw picture);
- Jurgen (idea for the picture);
- Julia (grammatic);
- Orion (translate);
- Reysai (translate)
- Aeronwen (wise advice on formatting topics.)
other.

Friends, we really need help with the correct translation! If it's not difficult for you, please suggest corrections.

This is a good initiative, but we have an entire board dedicated to this: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,234.0.html

Maybe we (moderators) should find a way to promote that board. :idea:

Orion said:
This is a good initiative, but we have an entire board dedicated to this: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,234.0.html

Maybe we (moderators) should find a way to promote that board. :idea:

Good day! I tried to find this section, but did not find it. It seemed to me that the Guild of Anachronists is not about that and I passed by). Perhaps it would be worthwhile to place the section in another place?

While it's relevant to M&B, it's not strictly about M&B, so putting it in the on-topic sections wouldn't be fitting. However, it is tucked away down there and sees very little activity, despite its subject matter being a common interest between on- and off-topic users. I'm not sure if we'll be doing anything with it on this forum, but this wouldn't be the first time we've discussed rearranging the boards for the new forum.

Considering the activity level of that board, I don't want to move this thread there. It will be seen by more people if it remains in this section, and it's helpful information that is relevant.

I just want to applaud the evident effort you have put here to carry out this thread in an informative and aesthetically well applied way. Surely the Community will give it a good use, good luck.

Orion said:
While it's relevant to M&B, it's not strictly about M&B, so putting it in the on-topic sections wouldn't be fitting. However, it is tucked away down there and sees very little activity, despite its subject matter being a common interest between on- and off-topic users. I'm not sure if we'll be doing anything with it on this forum, but this wouldn't be the first time we've discussed rearranging the boards for the new forum.

Considering the activity level of that board, I don't want to move this thread there. It will be seen by more people if it remains in this section, and it's helpful information that is relevant.

Terco_Viejo said:
I just want to applaud the evident effort you have put here to carry out this thread in an informative and aesthetically well applied way. Surely the Community will give it a good use, good luck.

Спасибо всем!

This week we will publish a release dedicated to serving PC. I hope you will be interested.

How does the computer get dirty when you wait for Bannerlord. :grin:

Varadin said:
Nice idea and credit for trying.

But there are tons of more items how to optimize windows , these are just basics.

The OP put in a lot of work for this, why don't you contribute and provide some of these other items?

Varadin said:
Nice idea and credit for trying.

But there are tons of more items how to optimize windows , these are just basics.

You are right friend! We will return to this topic later in the second part, where we will dig deeper :grin: I think by that time our readers will become more experienced, and the topic will be filled with useful tips.

Publication №2: Cleaning the computer and replacing the thermal interface - part 1

Removing programs and optimizing the OS is not always enough to make your PC work at 100%. We need to clean the dust from the system, replace the thermal paste and thermal pads and lubricate the coolers. Below is given a list of all that may be needed for each of the stages of cleaning.

Remember the disassembly of components leads to a loss of warranty, so if the warranty has not yet expired, better to refrain from disassembling !!!

List of requirements

1. Dust cleaning:

- compressed air (can be replaced with a cold mode hair dryer or a compressor)
- tassels of different sizes
- paper, cardboard or fabric (underlay details and body)
- a vacuum cleaner
- microfiber cloth
- smartphone
- zip-packages for bolts + stickers
- screwdrivers

2. Lubrication of coolers:

- q-tips
- alcohol
- tweezers
- a big coin or something like that
- Silicone Grease
- ball bearings

Cleaning Off Dust

Let's start! After the computer is turned off, we put the switch on the PSU to the Off position. In cheap models the switch may be absent. When the computer is completely de-energized, unplug the power cord from the PSU, then disconnect the remaining cables from the computer, including peripherals. Put the case on a stable surface, covered with cardboard or other material, and remove the side covers.

Just in case, take a couple of photos on your smartphone to remember how the cables are connected.

Do not start cleaning immediately. First, you need to dismantle some components. Disconnect all cables from the PSU to other components, such as HDD, SSD, CPU, GPU, Motherboard, and more.

When pulling out the power cables of the CPU, GPU and Motherboard, do not forget to press the locking lever!
07f5df7c23a5ce5e7fea26b42376f50f.jpg

Before we remove the power supply, for ease of dismantling the video card and other PCI Express devices we will remove the screws (1) and unlock the clamp holding the video card (2). Take out the video card and set it aside.

5f36d14f2a34afa34ae62792488738d4.png

For convenience, pack up the screws in Zip-packages and stick stickers on them.

Now, remove the power supply unit by unscrewing the 4 bolts.

21d0bb0b3e9760899b2f90e111ba8d06.md.jpg
        After removing the power supply, we remove SSDs, HDDs, case coolers and CD/DVD drives by unscrewing the retaining bolts & putting them aside. The rest can be left in the case. If the computer is too dirty and you see “carpets” of dust, use a vacuum cleaner.

When cleaning the PC with a vacuum cleaner you should be extremely careful and attentive !!!

[size=14pt]  1)Do not try to collect dust from the motherboard or other components with textolite, as you can easily damage or tear off radio elements.
  2)When cleaning the bottom of the case do not hook the wires on the front of the computer and other components.
  3)Refrain from cleaning the coolers with a vacuum cleaner.

After you have cleaned the casing, you can blow out the remaining dust with a compressed air cylinder (after putting the tube on the cylinder from the kit). If you use a hairdryer, then only use it in cold mode. When using a compressor I recommend checking on a clean sheet of paper that there are no water droplets in the compressor.

Before using the compressed air tank, read the instructions !!!

After cleaning the case with the help of air flow, use brushes to clean any remaining dust.

When using brushes make sure that they retain their nap.

Now you can clean the video card (without disassembling) and set it aside, as we will return to it later. Now proceed to cleaning the PSU. It can be blown out without disassembling, but this will not be as effective as removing its case.

To disassemble the power supply, unscrew the 4 bolts on its case (remove the cover slowly so as not to tear the cable from the cooler).

2269bc75785da3be13e2e72361f6ebfe.md.jpg

Cooler lubrication

Remove the cooler from the PSU by unscrewing the 4 retaining bolts. Now we will find out whether it is necessary to lubricate the cooler or not. Find out what type of bearing is used in the cooler by typing its model number into Google.

db002de6b390129055dfb35b33e18f1f.jpg

If it is a ball bearing, then lubrication is not necessary! If it growls, crackles or rustles when working, then you can replace the bearing(s)  with new ones. If it is not a ball bearing, then the bearing can be lubricated with silicone grease. If the cooler is non-separable, then we lubricate only on the condition that it began to make excessive noise. For this, one drop of synthetic or low viscosity engine oil is enough.

Lubricate the coolers once a year.

After we removed the cooler, and we know its model for sure, it is necessary to remove the manufacturer's sticker.

ffb288a2ec275bce7e04c704e4d73563.png

Depending on the model of the cooler, you may notice a cork. If so, you need to remove it. If not, then continue disassembly.

f5373ec6b2e112672cdf2925d13c6658.jpg

When disassembling the cooler, you can find washers, springs and rings. Remember the order in which the cooler was assembled.

Put the cooler on the coin and remove the retaining ring with tweezers. Lock rings come in metal or plastic.

When the retaining ring is removed from the axis it may rebound. So you don't lose it when dismantling, cover the hole with your palm.

41db562ef90abb003152d12bb78cee95.png

We take out the impeller from the frame.

50f4de5816e2c39b430c62ee7465843c.png

Next, you should use Q-tips, pre-moistened with alcohol, to remove the old grease. Then, apply a little silicone grease on the shaft and walls in the area of ​​the sleeve.

a28a6f2f3a2df6f79a2ab898a6143229.png

We reassemble the cooler and power supply in the reverse order. Now do the same with the case coolers other than CPU cooling.

Friends, we really need help with the correct translation! If it's not difficult for you, please suggest corrections.

I see cleaning, but nothing about thermal paste or pads. I've never used pads, but I've seen plenty of people mess up applying thermal paste (or cleaning it off before re-applying). I guess that's part 2. Good read!

:fruity:

Orion said:
I see cleaning, but nothing about thermal paste or pads. I've never used pads, but I've seen plenty of people mess up applying thermal paste (or cleaning it off before re-applying). I guess that's part 2. Good read!

:fruity:
We had to break the article into two parts because it turned out too big. We will publish the second part within 1-2 days.

Publication №3: Cleaning the computer and replacing the thermal interface - part 2 (updated 21.03.2019)
Publication №3: Cleaning the computer and replacing the thermal interface - part 2

If you've had time to relax after the first part of cleaning your PC and are ready to finish the job with me, then the PC for Bannerlord is near :grin:

Some time ago, my computer began to slow down very much and I could not understand what was happening. After a small investigation, I discovered the reason for the huge performance decrease was the dried thermal paste on the CPU. The processor lowered frequencies to protect itself from overheating, thereby reducing its performance.

List of required items

Replacement of thermal paste and thermal pads:
- cotton pads;
- cotton buds;
- isopropyl alcohol;
- thermal pads;
- thermal grease arctic mx 4.

You can use the thermal paste you have on hand if it has good heat-conducting properties and it has not expired.

Replacing Thermal Paste and Thermal Pads

Turn off your PC, set the switch on the PSU to OFF, and disconnect all cables and peripherals. Remove both side panels and lay the PC on its side. We are looking for a cable from the cooling system, going to the connector marked CPU FAN. Disconnect it and start to dismantle the cooling system. There are several types of fasteners, and the dismantling of some of them may seem difficult for beginners. I think every programmer at first cursed Intel engineers. :grin:

Pay attention to the arrows on the legs of the cooler, by default they point in the direction opposite from the cooler.

524ea47c0a243b9fb5be21207aff19b3.png
          Turn them counterclockwise, and then gently pull each one towards you while holding the cooler.
405fc20904db00f20cfcb094532f7659.png

Now, gently rock the cooler in different directions until it separates from the motherboard. For clarity, you will find two videos below.

Once you removed the cooling system, blow out any dust that is in it. For convenience, remove the cooler from the radiator by hooking the latch with a screwdriver. Also, do not forget to lubricate the cooler if possible.

0e07e183cbadb45cdef2c007e8147808.png

When finished with the dust, begin to remove the old thermal grease with cotton pads with a small amount of alcohol applied. Wipe the radiator, and then the processor. After degreasing and cleaning the surface, proceed to the application of thermal paste. There are different methods of application, but there is practically no difference between them in temperature.

Option 1
We extrude the thermal paste from the tube into the center of the processor in the form of a pea or strip and put on it the cooling system without breaking the thermal layer.
e8657adcf33839705c2648a256b9b9c1.png
Option 2
Apply thermal grease and spread it evenly with a spatula, card or finger wrapped in a bag and install the cooling system.
a36b977930dea53eaf7ab334dec51370.png
To be honest, I thought that the first option is the most correct. But recently, I watched a very interesting video that tested the effectiveness of various methods of applying thermal paste and its quantity. Below I left a temperature chart and a video in which you can see how to apply thermal grease.
fe8be1f0d476fc52f78f55e5211f7e1a.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A6UUSdlvKg

Let's start the installation process. Check the legs of the cooling system. They should be in the “installation” mode as in the picture.
472dbb56819845ab8752c7fbc8c02416.png

If the leg looks like below, then just gently pull it towards you.
86bd742f1305e7859e77205cfe353351.png
Now, gradually and trying not to touch the thermal paste, we install one leg followed by the one diagonal from it, slightly pressing each one to the characteristic click. After the cooling system is installed, turn the legs clockwise so that the arrows look in the opposite direction from the cooler. After installation, try to shake the cooling system. If it is not loose anywhere and it is very stable, then you did everything right. Do not forget to connect the power cable to the CPU FAN connector.

If you have AMD, then the process is much easier. You need to move the lever on the cooling system from horizontal to vertical and remove the arc from the two mounts. After that, lightly shake the cooling system in different directions until it comes off the processor. We perform the process of cleaning and replacing the thermal interface as with Intel, with one difference. To remove the cooler from the radiator you need to unscrew 4 bolts. To reinstall the cooler, hook the arc on the opposite side of the lever for mounting and then do the same from the side of the lever, while making sure that the arc does not jump off the other side. Now move the lever to a horizontal position and check that the cooling system is stable.
8cabaf6d8e19d64eda4be6e3c80aa5ec.png
          Also, some of you may have an updated cooling system that comes with Ryzen processors. For its assembly and disassembly, it is simply necessary to unscrew a pair of bolts crosswise, which are screwed into the backplate on the reverse side of the motherboard.
17cc7ce522d7b2bb3d8fbfbe50241850.png

It's time for the video card and here, too, you need to be especially attentive. As an example, consider the disassembly of an RX 470 Sapphire. First, unscrew the bolts holding the back plate and the plastic cover.
dd5ea6469ddb55cd0ac59194f5981611.png
        Put aside the backplate, and slowly lifting the video card cover over the radiator, you will see two cables that are connected to the board. They need to be disconnected.

If the video card has been used in bad temperature conditions (for example, in mining with overclocking without stretching over a farm and without timely cleaning, then there is a possibility that the cables will stick to the connectors on the board. If it does not readily come off, do not try to force it out, as there is a chance of damaging it.

4fd986557584210463a9cc3d8d9170ee.png
5a7e0f5f34cf61135022839a43eebbce.png
Next, we unscrew the 2 side bolts (yellow). Then, be cautious. For the bolts marked in red, press the radiator to the video card processor. It is desirable to unscrew the bolts marked in red in the order indicated in the picture or noted by the manufacturer, otherwise you may damage the GPU and be stuck without a video card.
2cfed73d59402fcb48bdf1c97dc28a84.png
a06dfeaf672fb8b3fd275c1ab5162503.png
Before replacing the thermal paste, clean the radiator and the board of dust with a brush and compressed air. Now is the time to remove the old thermal grease and change to a new one. The process of applying thermal paste and replacing is exactly the same as with the processor, only here we apply the thermal paste not on the lid, but on the GPU directly and after applying it we smear it.
Thermal pads are changed if they are dry or damaged, but for this you need to find out the exact thickness of the old thermal pads and order the same new ones, and you must be confident in their quality!

63dbd1816891fab1f0d288ae28376f74.png
4b84cb052c03222f2f0cfe2fa367d98a.png

Do not forget to lubricate the coolers.

Some may wonder, why not use thermal grease instead of thermal pads? This is not the best idea. Thermal pads are created specifically for thermal conductivity with a gap between parts of more than 0.15 mm, and the thermal paste in this case will not be effective.

On this line, we are done with maintenance. We did everything in our power to make the PC work as before. Now we can go on with a clear conscience, as there are still a lot of interesting things ahead!

I am amazed by how much some people take care of their PCs

I’ve had gaming pcs since 2006 and all I ever did for all of them was open them up once every like 4 months and blow some air into them for like 5 minutes with one of those compressed air sprays.

I admire people with such dedication to technical mantainance though :grin:

This thread, as it grows, will prove quite handy for many people, keep it up!

Count Delinard said:
I am amazed by how much some people take care of their PCs

I’ve had gaming pcs since 2006 and all I ever did for all of them was open then up once every like 4 months and blow some air into them for like 5 minutes with one of those compressed air sprays.

I admire people with such dedication to technical mantainance though :grin:

This thread, as it grows, will prove quite handy for many people, keep it up!

Thank you Graf Delinard for the support!) I think soon you will also belong to your PC :grin:

I noticed something while reading through your third publication. Smearing thermal paste before reinstalling the heat sink should not be necessary, as the paste should be evenly spread by the heat sink itself when it is reinstalled. In my experience, smearing thermal paste can trap air bubbles inside it which will decrease contact between the CPU and heat sink and thereby decrease thermal conductivity. It's true that different shapes or techniques for applying it do not matter (X, pea-sized drop, etc.) but you must also be careful not to use too little. That will definitely cause you problems.

Orion said:
I noticed something while reading through your third publication. Smearing thermal paste before reinstalling the heat sink should not be necessary, as the paste should be evenly spread by the heat sink itself when it is reinstalled. In my experience, smearing thermal paste can trap air bubbles inside it which will decrease contact between the CPU and heat sink and thereby decrease thermal conductivity. It's true that different shapes or techniques for applying it do not matter (X, pea-sized drop, etc.) but you must also be careful not to use too little. That will definitely cause you problems.

It's actually one of the worst parts of building a PC for me. Putting on the paste + heatsink was a pain. Flood it and bad things happen, not enough bad things happen.  :ohdear:

Back
Top Bottom