Iron Chieftain: Simulated RTS and Citybuilder

Users who are viewing this thread

Looking forward to seeing this develop more. I loved Black and White and always wanted something inspired by that (but without the godhood).

Some questions:

1. Are you doing it entirely on your own? is this project even feasible for one person to complete?

2. To summarize one "match": do, say, 10-30 factions start all evenly distributed around the island, and then develop their cities, form alliances, war, etc. until one wins? how does it work?

BIGGER Kentucky James XXL said:
I'm interested by the idea of battles being won before they even begin with things like logistics and wider strategic manoeuvres doing most of the work

3. How will you manage logistics and maneuvers on an operational level, when the game will be played mostly on a tactical level (10km wide map), without any overworld or marches that last days before they reach their destination?

1. I've prototyped just about everything and there are a number of generalised game systems I can use to make the large scale mechanics work on their own. So long as all the small interactions are functional, the rest (logistics, town planning, strategic war) will mostly just be a matter of balancing.

2. A lot of the ideas for this game are based on asymmetry, so I'm not too concerned with giving everyone an equal start.

3. Food consumption and production will be accelerated to some degree, and armies won't have to march across the whole world to find themselves out of supply. A big (by this games standards) army won't be able to sit somewhere without supplies being stockpiled or brought in from elsewhere.

I've been following the snippets on Discord since you basically started showcasing it, good project.

Is the name really gonna be Iron Chieftain though? It just sounds so uninspiring.

BNS Marko said:
I've been following the snippets on Discord since you basically started showcasing it, good project.

Is the name really gonna be Iron Chieftain though? It just sounds so uninspiring.

RemarkableEmbarrassedFireant-size_restricted.gif

Looks like it's right up my alley. No doubt I will be more than happy to buy this when it's available and then never play it again because of overchoice. Nice work!

I would like to suggest a Where's Walbo? game mode, I think that would be a lot of fun. I would also like to suggest a subterranean layer as there are divers matter to include and having no ability to penetrate the crust would be incongruous!

Beautiful trees. Defintely gonna put some of my precious shekels into this game. I can sense a Dwarf Fortress vibe, with how your town functions as it's own city state, essentially, with an army and an economy, though unlike DF, you won't get into micromanagement (making sure Urist McMiner doesn't throw himself into magma).

Would there be some political aspects to the game? Maybe an overmap, like rimworld or DF, so you can send soldiers on expeditions, trade with other fledgeling cities and so on? Something like how Greek city states interacted with each other would be awesome.

TheFlyingFishy said:
my suggestion is that you should hire me to write for it and my feeback is that it looks cool but i could make it better if you hired me to write for it

I second this. Fishy's large corpus of furry erotica no doubt proves his prowess as a writer.

I burnt myself out over the summer so I had to take a break by doing 5 hours of drawing a day.

Dy6fT85W0AE2qSH.jpg:large

Dy6fUOqWkAAtuku.jpg:large

Dy6fUg4X0AEL55J.jpg:large

Progress is good and the civilian AI is working smoothly. Once I finalise the farmer AI then the game is basically playable. I've also come up with a system for how combat is going to work:

1. Soldiers march around in column formation and will switch to a line formation when fighting.
2. Friendly regiments can't march through each other. When one regiment is blocked by another, it'll check if it can walk around it, and keep checking wider and wider detours until it finds a reasonably short way out.
3. There'll be some degree of regiment autonomy both for believability and to prevent the AI from having an unfair advantage or disadvantage.

Before I have much to show, I'm waiting for blender 2.8 to come out since it has some of the features I want for making faces and clothing.

Blog 06/03/19
o04t7.png

Greetings, ferrous chieftains!

In today's blog we will be covering the debug methods our developer uses. In unreal engine 4 there is a node called "draw debug string" which spawns text on the screen at a specified point. Our coder is currently working on a pathing system where civilians and soldiers will turn around on road intersections and corners without suddenly changing directions. This involves some complex vector maths which is difficult to visualise even in poorly drawn graphs in MS Paint. Thus our coder uses the debug function to determine the exact amount of curvature at each point in the journey.

MgvEu.png

Our coder also noticed that the exact position of each civilian is in fact at the feet of the model, making it hard to read. Thus he came up with a simple but ingenious solution:

LyY-a.png

Thanks for reading and see you next week!