What else remains to be explained?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terco_Viejo

Spanish Gifquisition
Grandmaster Knight
6cT66oa.gif

I have opened this thread only with the intention of turning it into an informative tool and space for debate without entering into heated discussions about the Bannerlord development process and its launch date. Don't get me wrong, I don't want the question to sound like "have we arrived yet?"

Throughout the 17 Legacy Devlbogs (Era Lust) and the 91 current Devblogs (Era Callum) we have been discovering new features and accepting with resignation the elimination of others due to technical impossibilities or rethinking as part of the complex development that a game like Bannerlord supposes. Who more who less (more who have been following the development during all these years - others have succumbed to the inexorable passage of time) is well informed in broad strokes about the different mechanics, dynamics and different features that exist in the game.

Assuming that illustrious users, walking libraries and reliable sources of information to drink from (your skull) are co-existing in this forum, I launch this question to the Community:

What else remains to be explained?
You have in mind a feature that has not yet been discussed? if so, share it with all of us.

Community General Concerns

Diplomacy
Dynasties
Character Traits
System event (backstory of grudges and feuds)
Seasons system -Climatic effects on battlefield Purely cosmetic component (This effect is still pending for the campaign map) *NEW Gameplay effects of weather on horse speed, archery etc
×Ambushes Link of official confirmation of its non-existence as a feature
Formations and combat AI (link)
Character creation
Permadeath system
Sergeant System  (link)
Gang system and criminal operations (link)
Siege Tactics system
Settlement issues
Custom banner editor
Settlement management (link)
Special NPC services
Dynamic Quests
Caravans and market stimulation policies link
Caravans and Peasant revolts attacking settlements

Noudelle said:
The seasons system maybe? Has this been shown already?

The map is changed, not just by the activity of the player and NPCs but also by the passage of time. Changing seasons affect the weather and transform the landscape sending snow creeping south during winter. Significant gameplay effects, of the changing conditions, are felt in the effectiveness of different troop types. Cavalry and ranged units in particular will have a harder time in rain or snow. One major change from Warband is how time progresses; the yearly cycle has been shortened to twelve weeks, which adds more importance to the changing seasons and ageing of characters.

https://www.taleworlds.com/Images/Blog/bannerlord_blog_12_visual_full.mp4

In the visual above, we've included 168 screenshots, one taken at midday, each day, from the same angle, over the course of two in game years, running at 10 frames per second. One of the first things you might notice is how the snow advances and retreats during winter. It is also possible to spot the colours above the settlements changing, as they are taken over by different AI factions, battling it out with one another. Something that you may not (or may!) have noticed is how the shadows get longer during winter; this detail is the result of the simulation we carry out to lower the sun's position during winter.

https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/14

NPC99 said:
Noudelle said:
The seasons system maybe? Has this been shown already?

The map is changed, not just by the activity of the player and NPCs but also by the passage of time. Changing seasons affect the weather and transform the landscape sending snow creeping south during winter. Significant gameplay effects, of the changing conditions, are felt in the effectiveness of different troop types. Cavalry and ranged units in particular will have a harder time in rain or snow. One major change from Warband is how time progresses; the yearly cycle has been shortened to twelve weeks, which adds more importance to the changing seasons and ageing of characters.

https://www.taleworlds.com/Images/Blog/bannerlord_blog_12_visual_full.mp4

In the visual above, we've included 168 screenshots, one taken at midday, each day, from the same angle, over the course of two in game years, running at 10 frames per second. One of the first things you might notice is how the snow advances and retreats during winter. It is also possible to spot the colours above the settlements changing, as they are taken over by different AI factions, battling it out with one another. Something that you may not (or may!) have noticed is how the shadows get longer during winter; this detail is the result of the simulation we carry out to lower the sun's position during winter.

https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/14
Thanks for the link. Pretty good.

X9MnZ.jpg

I’d welcome a Dev Blog on formations, covering the troop types and tactics to which they’re best suited.

For example, a shieldwall is clearly closer packed than a line:
1. Will a dense shieldwall act as a barrier to horses while a looser line lets them barge through?
2. Do overlapping shields provide improved ranged protection vs arrows or is this offset by being a denser packed target?
3. Do denser formations have downsides - lack of room to swing certain types of weapons like double handed swords/axes?
4. Is forward movement in a shieldwall slower to reflect the effort expended in maintaining formation?
5. Presumably we can’t order cavalry into a shieldwall formation or is it just a close line formation with a fancy name?

Equally, why do we have a double skein formation, normally used by aircraft or flights of geese as opposed to a solid cavalry wedge formation?

Do horse archers skirmish better in a loose or scatter formation?

Why is the circle formation hollow? Schiltrons were dense formations equivalent to a shieldwall facing in all directions, leaving no flanks for cavalry to attack.

I’d love a screenshot of a phalanx of Empire spearmen/pikemen in a square formation.

I wish for a Developer Blog about the combat AI. Not the formations that we had explaining their chain of commands. I want to see how they react when outnumbered by Cavalry, or surrounded by archers.

John C said:
One of the earlier dev blogs mentioned an event system, presumably to to create dynamic stories within the sandbox. But we haven't heard any more about it yet.

NPC99 said:
I’d welcome a Dev Blog on formations, covering the troop types and tactics to which they’re best suited.
+1, I'd like to hear more about both of these things.

Similar to the points about formations and combat AI, I would like to know what specifically happens when two infantry formations collide. I hope we are finally past the cluster and chaos of the current Mount and Blade.

I would like a blog dedicated to commander mode. Since now the armies are going to be much larger, I hope it's not a pain in the ass to do  micro-management and employed feigned retreat tactics.

genghis-tactics.jpg

JuanNieve said:
I would like a blog dedicated to commander mode. Since now the armies are going to be much larger, I hope it's not a pain in the ass to do  micro-management and employed feigned retreat tactics.

genghis-tactics.jpg

In the formations blog they talked about their chain of command, and in older videos it was said we could gove segments of troops to your companions to allow them to control those troops without your imput. Mass scale formations and tactics like these are very much possible.

Maybe a blog about character creation or the game's start? I know it's probably not the most important subject manner but I would like to know if there has been any major changes? if we can start as a native to Calradia? and if there's any alternative starting location options sort of like the Live Another Life mod for Skyrim; so instead of arriving to a city and being attacked you can start elsewhere doing something else.

I think theyve pretty much touched on everything, it's just a matter of how in-depth they want to go into each thing.
John C said:
One of the earlier dev blogs mentioned an event system, presumably to create dynamic stories within the sandbox. But we haven't heard any more about it yet.
+1 to this

The only other major one I can think of is the permadeath system (whenever it is it's implemented). I can't think of other topics that deserve their own blogs, but I'm sure theyre out there. I'm hoping theres still stuff we havent even seen or heard of in the least bit yet.

Devlbog 11/01/18: We're using Bannerlord's new events system to create a backstory of grudges and feuds

Companions and how the different roles work both in the campaign and in the clan management panel
5tD59Bv.png

blog_post_54_taleworldswebsite_04.png

Advanced Formations

Sergeant System

Gang system and criminal operations

Siege system (Recap  :iamamoron:)

Choke point and ambushes Devblog 12 (Legacy) The topography of the map is not entirely consistent with Warband, in fact Bannerlord's map is somewhat more mountainous. The effect of this is an increase in the number of choke points. It will be hard to avoid conflict, for instance, when traversing narrow passes through mountain ranges that may be riddled with ambush spots or enemy patrols. Tactically, the map offers many more options for controlling areas that serve as trade routes. Battles are often fought in the game to contest key choke points with the goal of securing passage for trade caravans and other parties.

Climatic effects on battlefield Devblog 12 (Legacy):Significant gameplay effects, of the changing conditions, are felt in the effectiveness of different troop types. Cavalry and ranged units in particular will have a harder time in rain or snow.

-----offtopic
John.M; since you have entered to participate in this topic, I take this opportunity to congratulate you for the work you are doing with Kingdoms of Arda, I love the planned vision that you bring. We'll be looking forward to hearing from you.

TBH, I wouldn't mind a "clarification" blog, where Callum takes some of the questions about things devs have said in interviews, or vague comments in blogs, or features that haven't been mentioned in a while and gives the low-down (as much as he can), what's still there and not there, kind of like they did earlier I guess. But, especially after I've spent so much time reading speculation on these boards, I wouldn't mind a little recap/clarification blog every now and then (especially if they could announce "We've just made a big update, here's what's new").

Roccoflipside said:
TBH, I wouldn't mind a "clarification" blog, where Callum takes some of the questions about things devs have said in interviews, or vague comments in blogs, or features that haven't been mentioned in a while and gives the low-down (as much as he can), what's still there and not there, kind of like they did earlier I guess. But, especially after I've spent so much time reading speculation on these boards, I wouldn't mind a little recap/clarification blog every now and then (especially if they could announce "We've just made a big update, here's what's new").

Yes, it would be a good idea about the "clarification recap devblog"... I also tell you that I hope we don't find statements like the typical "We can't talk about that right now".

I’d also like a Dev Blog on ambushes because I’m now worried that they may not have been included in a meaningful manner.

NPC99 said:
I’m sure the Gamescom videos contained instances where pursued bandit parties once into woods turned on their pursuers, but even if battle advantage was adjusted in their favour (uncertain) the fight then played out as a normal encounter battle. I’ll be disappointed if that’s all there is to ambushes. IMO a serious implementation of ambushes needs:

1. Hidden parties on the world map, in forrest/swamp/hilly terrain, that can spring ambushes when the odds are in their favour. Maybe 33% chance of prior detection if the players party has extremely good spotting or scouting skills.
2. Unique ambush battle scenes with meaningful cover (i.e cavalry proof) for the ambushers and strung out or scattered deployment for the ambushed party. Plus high proportion of ranged troops in the ambushing party - i.e. no suicidal charging out of cover.
3. Restriction of the numbers spawned for the ambushed party - trap sprung on the advance or rearguard with the remaining troops only available as later reinforcements.
4. The ability of ambushers to ghost away without further losses after suffering over 50% casualties, allowing hit & run guerrilla tactics.
5. Limitation of ambush tactics to parties below a certain size - say less than 100.

When fleeing from a larger force, it would be an interesting tactic if we or the ai could drop off our infantry at one or more hidden ambush points (hoping they remained hidden unless they could trap a smaller party) while the cavalry made their escape at full horse speed. This would of course require a detour into suitable ambush terrain. The ambush point would act as a quasi-garrison (probably infantry only), waiting for the main party’s return.

Well I can dream, can’t I.  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom