CTDs

Your experience with crashes to desktop in Perisno 0.9:

• Never happened so far.

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • Happened once during several hours of gameplay.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • Happened several times already.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Happens every 5th-10th battle.

Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Happens almost every battle or town visit, can't play.

Votes: 10 8.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Alright, guys who have very frequent ctd, if you have some time, I'd really like to ask you to test something.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uj48fva25h7k64u/Perisno_0.9_cutitems.zip?dl=0

One of the changes between 0.8 and 0.9 is increased amount of items (2344=>2733).
Also for me the first stability issues started in PNB which also had the increased amount of items.
And I did have 1 confirmed case of virtually guaranteed ctds that was caused by weapons 2504-2522.

So the amount of items is one of my primary suspects. It seems like I hit some hidden engine limit.
The archive with .txt files abode contains scripts which reduce a number of items to 2405.
It's a very crude "version" purely for testing, since it simply removes all giants', dwarves' and third legion's equipment.

Could you install it, start a new game and play for a bit participating in battles to see if the game still crashes?
"Load textures on demand" is still required.
And in cheat menu there is an option "buff me" that gives you 150 tolranian champions and 150 draharan storm archers, so you can just use it and go have some fun against some lords.
Just ignore dwarves, giants and the third legion. Fight against minor faction parties or Tolrania/Maccavia/Hakkon/etc.
And visit towns, since there were reports about crashes in such cases too.

just an update, as I wrote above, I've been playing the mod on my older PC, and so far, for almost 2 hours and after a dozen battles, I haven't had any crash anymore, so I suppose it may be a problem with the new nvidia drivers. I'll try playing POP on the other PC to check if the issue affects that mod too.

@Leonion, tomorrow I'll try to check that archive but as I wrote I suspect it's actually a driver problem, as I think a configuration problem in your code would cause generally problems

redwitch said:
@Leonion, tomorrow I'll try to check that archive but as I wrote I suspect it's actually a driver problem, as I think a configuration problem in your code would cause generally problems
I think it's a combination of both.
It's a not a case like weapons 2504-2522, but pushing the limits of Warband engine may increase the likelihood of ctds. It's just for people with certain game settings and/or hardware and/or drivers their PCs can still somehow handle it, "overrule" this increased likelihood thanks to generally effective processing, while other PCs just give up.

I was having CTD with 0.9 and the first hotpatch. It mainly happened when I was fighting the Troublesome Nobles in villages. After a few hours with this test build, I've had no crashing.

@Leonion, just tested mod (without item count decrease) on 5 rigs and it seems gtx 9xx defietely has some problems. Main PC with 1070 SLI - works fine, laptop with 760M - fine, laptop with 970M - crashing like hell (every 5-7 mins), PC with 980TI - 6 crashes during ~50 mins test, PC with RX580 - 1 crash in 45 mins. Latest drivers everywhere.

I've had no noteworthy issue with my current settings right now. This probably won't mean much, because I play an older version of Warband on Linux, but here's what I have.

Warband 1.174:
- Linux version is broken due to a build mistake.

Warband 1.173:
- Lots of CTDs when using ANY mods. Happens when you first opens a scene, inventory, or party screen. Basically anything that loads the character model.
- Turning load textures of demands off allows you to play smoothly on your first run of the game. If you close the game, reboot to avoid CTDs.

Warband 1.172 (?), released on March 14 2017:
- No crash whatsoever with load textures on demand off.
- CTDs when using the game's default settings, which means load textures on demand on. Probably caused by other settings like max frame rate, but I've tested that forcing single-threading doesn't fix the crash. Will check with more details later tonight.

My guess is that it's the latest Warband's patch. It literally broke the Linux build, and it has a lot to do with libc, which is kind of a big deal. I'd suggest Windows users to see if other mods work fine, and test with whatever Warband version was the most stable on Windows. Also, try to mention your Windows version on your reports. The latest build is using the newest version of libc on Linux, which is not available on most distro yet, hence the game being broken, so it may have something similar on Windows.

Huh, that's interesting results you have on your computers, T.L.S. and Sky Warden.
Less crashing, more testing!
:smile:

Speaking of versions - mine is 1.172.

Win7 and Win10 Pcs, both 64 bit, 980 Ti and GTX 1060 6GB.

Running 1.172, outside of Steam.  A couple of crashes, but no more than I was getting in 0.8.  Usually, in large battles, when I get just close enough to the enemy for textures to need higher res.

I've had no CTD's. I'm sure part of that is because I'm pretty conservative in my graphics settings & battle size.

first_time = 0

texture_detail = 80

render_buffer_size = 15

max_framerate = 60

start_windowed = 0

use_pixel_shaders = 1

use_vertex_shaders = 1

fake_reflections = 1

show_framerate = 1

use_ondemand_textures_ = 1

use_ondemand_textures_mt = 0

disable_music = 0

disable_sound = 0

disable_frequency_variation = 0

cheat_mode = 1

enable_blood = 1

enable_edit_mode = 0

force_single_threading = 1

debug_mode = 0

display_width = 1920

display_height = 1080

display_bits = 32

antialiasing = 0

sample_quality = 0

alpha2coverage = 0

force_vsync = 1

shadowmap_quality = 0

shader_quality = 2

postfx_dof = 0

postfx_hdr = 0

postfx_autoexp = 0

flora_degrade_distance = 100.0000

flora_lod_detail = 0

use_instancing = 0

use_secure_connection = 0

max_number_of_connections = 16

look_for_server_on_this_machine = 0

music_volume = 0.0656

sound_volume = 0.8877

mouse_sensitivity = 0.5000

invert_mouse = 0

enable_lighting = 1

enable_particles = 1

enable_blood = 1

enable_character_shadows = 1

enable_accurate_shadows = 1

number_of_corpses = 2

grass_density = 0

combat_speed = 2

friend_combat_difficulty = 0

adapter_format = 0

reduce_combat_ai = 0

reduce_campaign_ai = 0

combat_difficulty = 0

display_labels = 1

display_targeting_reticule = 1

display_attack_direction = 0

turn_camera_with_horse_in_first_person = 2

verbose_damage = 1

verbose_shot_difficulty = 1

battle_size = 0.3812

attack_direction_control = 2

defend_direction_control = 1

lance_control = 0

anisotropic_filtering = 1

enable_environment_shadows = 1

verbose_casualties = 1

verbose_experience = 1

realistic_shadows_on_plants = 0

number_of_ragdolls = 1

gamma = 2.2000

character_detail = 0.5000

character_shadow_detail = 0.5000

control_mouse_movement_y_scale = 1.5000

blood_stains = 2

use_winmm_audio = 0

enable_version_check = 1

enable_aspect_ratio_control = 1

realistic_headshots = 0

auto_gfx_quality = 0

enable_gamepad_vibration = 1

Had 2 CTD's last night in the same place. Not battle-related like most of the other reports, though

Met the Mystic Merchant in Krain and scored a bunch of great stuff. Then, while still in town, opened Uldin's inventory to give him some new gear and CTD.

Reloaded, went back to the Mystic Merchant and bought some stuff again. Again opened Uldin's inventory and CTD'd.

Lord Irontoe said:
Had 2 CTD's last night in the same place. Not battle-related like most of the other reports, though

Met the Mystic Merchant in Krain and scored a bunch of great stuff. Then, while still in town, opened Uldin's inventory to give him some new gear and CTD.

Reloaded, went back to the Mystic Merchant and bought some stuff again. Again opened Uldin's inventory and CTD'd.
Can you tell me what items he had in his inventory?

I got (from what it seems like) rid of my CTDs by doing the following:

- starting WB as administrator
- using Win7 comp. mode
- increasing the buffer size in the .ini from 15 to 2048

Worth a shot for everyone I guess.  :neutral:

Leonion said:
Lord Irontoe said:

Can you tell me what items he had in his inventory?

Uldin? Some random armor, Hamlet's Hammer, a shield and 2 packs of Hakkon Jarids

Crashed every few battles so I changed my settings to the ones posted earlier - still crashes, everso slightly less than before - Snowcrawlers nearly every time I fight them :sad:

Tried plasquars changes above - no dice. The crash seems to be accompanied by music corruption in battles as well - really not sure whats going on.

So far its crashed in fights with standard bandits, wolf knights, snowcrawlers that I can remember.

Lord Irontoe said:

This used to happen in 0.8 as well.  Switching between mystic merchant and companion inventory ALWAYS ends up crashing my game, on both computers. 

Tuidjy said:
Lord Irontoe said:

This used to happen in 0.8 as well.  Switching between mystic merchant and companion inventory ALWAYS ends up crashing my game, on both computers.

Thanks. That's good to know. I figured it was different than the CTDs other people were reporting. And I know it was dumb of me to do the exact same thing that previously caused a CTD without saving first. I just got too carried away by my shopping and forgot

I tried turning on and off load textures on demand last night. No crash. There's only visual glitches of textures not loading properly when it's load on demand, and the usual visual glitch on some taverns where a bunch of brownish mesh just goes nuts on your screen.

The sooner someone with frequent ctds tests the the version with reduced number of items, the sooner we'll be able to (perhaps) fix the ctds (if number of items is indeed the case).
#justreminding.
:grin:

I tested your version with the reduced item count in some pretty big battles with most major factions, no CTD. Had the same settings as when I played normally and had almost guaranteed CTDs in battles (played with mostly Kaikoth troops). The interesting thing I noticed before was that for a while the crashes had stopped, it was when I had just Perisno troops and some companions, but when I went back to the Kaikoth lands, recruited some dwarves and upgraded them a few tiers, the game crashed again in a battle shortly, haven't launched the game since.

Back
Top Bottom