Mount and Blade II Suggestion - NPC's move out of the way - AI

Users who are viewing this thread

This is a very simple suggestion to make the game feel a bit more fluid and less annoying when in large battles.

The suggestion is that if you are the commander of the battle, friendly NPC's will instinctively move out of the way if you attempt to move forward through them.

Basically, if you are behind a large group of friendly soldiers attacking another large group of enemy soldiers and you want to be up at the front line, then by moving into the crowd the friendly soldiers will move to the side to give you a small opening to the front.

Again, this would only be if you were the commander of the army (or they were your troops), as otherwise they would probably see you as just another soldier in the battle and thus no reason to move out of the way.

lithin said:
In real battle nobody move from your way so why add it?

In a real battle, if my commander tried to push up past me, I would sure as day get out of the way. You do what the boss wants you to do.

Another idea that was suggested to me is instead of it being instinctive, make it a command you can issue. “Make way Infantry” and then the infantry would either make a path between them based on which way you are facing or perhaps then move out of the way if you get near.

-- Don't double post, please. Thanks. - Orion

Phoenixstar117 said:
lithin said:
In real battle nobody move from your way so why add it?

In a real battle, if my commander tried to push up past me, I would sure as day get out of the way. You do what the boss wants you to do.
Exactly. What the **** does this guy think happened in "real" battles?
Also, what the **** is it with the constant "it's not realistic so it's not a good idea" argument on this gosh darn forum?

Phoenixstar117 said:
Another idea that was suggested to me is instead of it being instinctive, make it a command you can issue. “Make way Infantry” and then the infantry would either make a path between them based on which way you are facing or perhaps then move out of the way if you get near.

This would be a great addition to the game, especially for cavalry charges.

Noudelle said:
Also, what the **** is it with the constant "it's not realistic so it's not a good idea" argument on this gosh darn forum?

Love of immersion which realism and in-game consistency is a big part of?

Also, addressing the OP, you can already push troops, they just sort of slide out of the way. May have changed, footage is a bit old.

Noudelle said:
Exactly. What the **** does this guy think happened in "real" battles?
Usually, chaos and confusion once a melee started. Good luck getting people to behave rationally in that situation.

We don't stifle opinions of users, regardless of their popularity. We do, however, stifle hostility. Maybe ease up on that a bit.

You also don't have to self-censor, the forum has a built-in censor that is enabled by default. Users that don't mind can toggle it off.

Orion said:
We don't stifle opinions of users, regardless of their popularity. We do, however, stifle hostility. Maybe ease up on that a bit.

You also don't have to self-censor, the forum has a built-in censor that is enabled by default. Users that don't mind can toggle it off.
I'll keep myself in check. I also wasn't aware of that option. Thanks.
Lord Engineer said:
Noudelle said:
Love of immersion which realism and in-game consistency is a big part of?
Orion said:
Usually, chaos and confusion once a melee started. Good luck getting people to behave rationally in that situation.
I'm aware of that and I agree that the troops shouldn't get out of the way when they're busy fighting, but having the option in the game is just a net bonus. Having to tell your entire infantry division to hold position at a certain location so that this one guy that's blocking the doorway will leave isn't a good solution.
Unless your troops are actively fighting, I don't see why they shouldn't get out of your way.

Noudelle said:
Unless your troops are actively fighting, I don't see why they shouldn't get out of your way.
Neither do I. In the video posted earlier, we see that characters running into each other do kinda nudge each other out of the way, so there's hope yet.

It wouldn't be nearly as big an issue if the game didn't start you out stuck in the center of a mass of troops, with no easy way to push past or to either side.  In MANY battles, I've been stuck in position while my horse gets perforated by arrows, and my character gets pin-cushioned unless he's got a shield, which then becomes all but dead weight after those initial deadly 30-60 seconds that it takes to break free get and present a more difficult moving target to the enemy archers.

Having some choice of starting formation and location relative to your own troops would solve most of that.  Depending on the character, you might want to lead, outflank the enemy from one side or the other, or sit back and command from behind.

I'd rather see that they didn't move aside. I am as often hidding behinda bunch of guys as wanting to be in the front, and I don't like that the ones I'm hiding behind will move to make me a target for various projectiles.

I think that one of the best ideas would be permanent injuries - such as like a damaged leg you walk with a limp / slower movement and slower horse mounting. Of course it would be optional but I think it would add to the game by making it more immersive

Robert Andre I said:
I think that one of the best ideas would be permanent injuries - such as like a damaged leg you walk with a limp / slower movement and slower horse mounting. Of course it would be optional but I think it would add to the game by making it more immersive
Are you in the wrong thread? I don't see how this is related to the actual topic of discussion here.

There's going to be much better formation controls in Bannerlord than in Warband. Hopefully it'll be much less fiddly to tell your front rank to space out a bit to allow gaps for another group to move through them and get in front.

But I agree with the OP: you as the commander should get automatic priority over other troops, and they should move to the side a bit to let you through if you're pushing against them.

That's a splendid idea actually come to think of it. Whenever I siege on warband it's just a cluster **** until we break their lines on the wall

Back
Top Bottom