[MBMC] Mount & Blade Modding Contest [October 2018][3D Art]

Users who are viewing this thread

Dejan

Community Manager
The Mount & Blade Modding Contest - October 2018

Untitled2.png

Theme: Shields of Nobility

A man in plated boots and chest armour walks into your fathers' shop, carrying a sharp one-handed sword around his belt, with 2 tough looking guards entering behind. You don't recognize the man but it puts a smile on your fathers' face. He bows to the man and says: "G'day milord, how may I help you today?" The man takes a look around your fathers' shop, touches some of the warn out shields that hang on the wall and looks back to your father: "I've fought Sir Rodrick in a duel today. I've won, of course, however, the prick broke my shield with his morningstar and now I need a new one. Sir Johann said he had his shield made here for a fair price and I trust you would do the same for me?" Your father bows again and replies: "Certainly, milord." The man, content with your fathers' answer smiles and says: "Good, I leave the design of the shield to you. Let my squire know when you're done and I'll make sure to chip in a few coins for your boy here if the work is good of course!" Having said that, the man turns around and disappears through the door, leaving you and your father to begin with the work!

[size=18pt]Announcement & Survey

Greetings everyone!

We have transformed the previously named "TaleWorlds Forum Modding Contest" into "[MBMC] Mount & Blade Modding Contest" for better recognition. Rosslington was also kind enough to take the time and create a logo for the contests. Thank you very much for that! I hope everyone likes it as much as we do. We will also be doing snippets of roleplay for each contest (where applicable) to get everyone in the right mood and further explain the theme of the contest. Overall we are thrilled that the community has taken up the call to participate in the contests and are looking forward to what the future will bring!

We would also like to gather the opinion of our community on how the modding contests have been going so far. It is for that reason that we would like to kindly invite you to participate in the survey we've prepared. The anonymous survey will take only a few minutes of your time and will produce valuable feedback which will be taken into consideration for the future.

Contest Information

Theme: Shields of Nobility
Submission Start Date: October 1st 2018 00:00     
Submission End Date: October 31st 2018 23:59
Sponsored By: Nexus Mods, NPC99

Rules:
  • You may only submit your work during the submission time period specified above.
  • Submit only your original work, no derivatives of another asset or asset theft is allowed.
  • You may submit up to three works for the contest, they'll be treated as separate submissions.
  • Your assets have to be Warband compatible and implementable. The required texture maps are diffuse, specular, and normal. Unless you specify otherwise, we'll use the specular_shader_noskin_bump_high shader for in-game implementation.
  • The texture resolutions must be square, and a power of 2 - e.g. 512x512, 1024x1024.
  • The mesh must be provided in a .obj format, with the faces triangulated.
  • You have to post screenshots of your work in progress in at least two different stages of completion, to confirm it is your creation. You are free to post more.
  • By submitting your work to the contest, you agree that it will be shared as open source with all the submissions at the end of the contest, according to the open source license provided here.

After the contest is over we will be publishing the compilation of all submissions to Nexus Mods.

You're also free to upload your work on Sketchfab or similar preview sites if you wish to do so.

Evaluation System

The submissions will be evaluated using a points system, based on their performance in the following three categories: Visuals, Originality and Performance. Once the submission end date is reached and the submissions are closed, the judges and selected testers will review the submissions. The submissions will be reviewed exclusively based on their properties in-game. Read the note in the 'Submitting Your Work' section for more info.

Each of the three judges will submit up to 10 points in the Visuals category and up to 10 points in the Originality category. Performance is an objective category based on optimisation and performance which can bring you up to 16 points.

Explanation of the categories:

Visuals (30 points)- The visual appeal of a submission, how well the different shapes and features fit into the overall look, and theme of the contest.
Originality (30 points)- The use of new and original concepts while designing your submission. Generic submissions entirely copied from existing references will be given fewer points. Be creative!
Performance (16 points) - An objective evaluation of the performance and optimization of a submission:
  • 4 points will be awarded if the submission contains three levels of LODs (either custom or OpenBrf generated, as long as they work visually and functionally in-game).
  • 6 points if your texture sheets are 512x512 or under, 3 points if your texture sheets are 1024x1024 or under.
  • 6 points if your submission's triangle count is under 1200, 3 points if your submission's triangle count is under 1800.

Total points: 30 (Visuals) + 30 (Originality) + 16 (Performance) = 76

Judging Committee

The judging committee is comprised of three veteran artists - Sacred Stone Head, Jacobhinds, and John.M.

Contest Rewards

- Medals to showcase your achievement across the forums (by Efe Karacar)
- Eternal place in the Mount & Blade Modding Contest Hall of Fame
- €60 prize pool sponsored by NPC99
- €60 prize pool sponsored by Nexus Mods

Submitting Your Work

You can use the below form to submit your work. If you make any edits or changes after your first submission, it'll be accepted if it is re-submitted within the submission deadline. Name your submission as you see fit, and please try to use a stable file hosting service(Google Drive, Dropbox etc.). Compress your mesh, and the textures into an archived file and upload.

Note: The submissions will be rated and judged exclusively based on their in-game properties. The organizers will implement the submissions in-game as per the rules specified in the rules section. You are not required to use openBrf to send or configure your files. However, you may want to use OpenBrf and implement your work in-game to see how the final result will look like before you submit your work. If you do not know how to do this, you can follow that or any other tutorial in the tutorial section, if you have any questions you can post them here, on the Modding Discord or PM the organizers.

Code:
[b]Forum username:[/b]
[b]Submission name:[/b]
[b]WIP screenshots:[/b]
[b]Download link:[/b] 

By submitting this work I agree to the rules and regulations of this contest.

Forum username: BNS Marko
Submission name: Sir Johns' Coated Heavy Shield
WIP screenshots:
Submission download link:

By submitting this work I agree to the rules and regulations of this contest.

Join The Modding Discord

Sponsored By

Thank you for making new contests.

Small question tho, are we allowed to use warband textures or should we have to make new ones ?
Are we able to use different mod textures aswell ? Like wood, leather, metals ?

Cool theme!

Quick question:

Given the story told in the intro, it seems to be  set to a particular  timeline. Are participants then bound to 12th -13th century style (Native WB timeline) ?

Khamukkamu said:
Quick question:

I read it as a fun snippet to set the mood, not meant to actually restrict creativity in any way. I'm sure we can make any kind of shield we want, even if it might not fit perfectly for the little story. Similarly, if we wanted to make a shield that was weathered and worn, I don't think we'd be penalized because it doesn't fit the story as a brand new shield. Right? Or should they fit in with the existing aesthetics of Calradia?

Somebody said:
Generic scene props entirely copied from existing references will be given fewer points.
Should probably be mesh here, unless we're also talking about deployable pavise code

Ah yes this is a relic from previous conceptualisation. Thanks for spotting!

Alphα said:
Thank you for making new contests.

Small question tho, are we allowed to use warband textures or should we have to make new ones ?
Are we able to use different mod textures aswell ? Like wood, leather, metals ?

There's two different questions here, I can only answer the latter for now until I get confirmation for the first one. When you say different 'mod textures', you cannot take textures from other mods, as per rule #2. This application on Native assets is still in question and I'll get back with the information tomorrow.

The problem lies in possible OSP implications since the OSP license these will be released under are a general license which could potentially allow people to use these in non-Warband commercial projects and as such Native textures being used will probably be a no-go.

@Khamukkamu, Mandible yeah the intro story is a nice flavour gimmick William contributed. You can create any shield that you envision that goes with the most general theme in the title. It's a very broad one so I don't imagine any issues whatsoever with your shield choice. Unless...you decide to make a 24th century futuristic neofeudalism noble shield, we'll have to discuss that possibility tomorrow :lol:

InVain said:
Submit only your original work, no derivatives of another asset or asset theft is allowed.
Does that only mean the actual 3D stuff /texture, or does the concept also have to be original? Asking for a friend :razz:
The asset and all its properties(mesh, LOD, texture) have to be entirely the author's work. You are allowed to do it based on any concept/reference, but it may result in lower score in the originality category.

Some good scenarios here that we hadn't explored in previous contests, tomorrow you'll get more accurate responses to all the questions after we have a discussion about these problems.

Okay, here's the clarification on questions asked yesterday.

Small question tho, are we allowed to use warband textures or should we have to make new ones?

No Warband textures seeing as these submissions then couldn't be published under the OSP license.

Does that only mean the actual 3D stuff /texture, or does the concept also have to be original?

You are allowed to do it based on any concept/reference, but it may result in lower score in the originality category.

Similarly, if we wanted to make a shield that was weathered and worn, I don't think we'd be penalized because it doesn't fit the story as a brand new shield. Right? Or should they fit in with the existing aesthetics of Calradia?

Any concept, variation and style of a shield is allowed.

For these two questions we'd like to see what everyone thinks.

Are we able to use different mod textures aswell? Like wood, leather, metals?

No textures from sources that aren't OSP as well, that means not from mods either. That part is certain. Currently, the rule written below forbids any derivatives, even if from OSP sources.

"Submit only your original work, no derivatives of another asset or asset theft is allowed."

Do you think that derivatives of already open source stuff should be allowed, under the condition the author states and declares what he used? If so, how would this affect scoring, and how could potential rule-bending be minimised?

Just for clarification, do submissions have to be vertex animated for the shield's carrying strap?

Pardon my ignorance here, working on futuristic mods didn't give me a chance to implement many shields and get to know their inner mechanics. Do all shields need to have a vertex animated strap?

BNS Marko said:
Just for clarification, do submissions have to be vertex animated for the shield's carrying strap?

Pardon my ignorance here, working on futuristic mods didn't give me a chance to implement many shields and get to know their inner mechanics. Do all shields need to have a vertex animated strap?

All the shields in Warband's shields.brf and shields_b.brf have 3 frames. Frame 2 of all those shields, apart from shield_dragon, change the position of the carrying strap for when the shield is being carried as opposed to wielded. For some unknown reason frame 0,1 and 2 are all the same for shield_dragon even though the mesh has a carrying strap - probably a bug.

2BH8-.jpg

PS I didn't implement many shields in my 17th Century mod.  :grin:

BNS Marko said:

Shields can use a vertex animation to use different versions of the mesh when it's wielded, or when it's on your back. Most commonly, this is used to properly place a diagonal strap over the shoulder (which is done in Native too). It looks like this:
Qgwvipx.png
ifFGvNP.png
It's an extra little touch, and it's not required to make the shield work. It just adds some detail to the shield, so I don't think it should be required in the contest.

BNS Marko said:
Are we able to use different mod textures aswell? Like wood, leather, metals?

No textures from sources that aren't OSP as well, that means not from mods either. That part is certain. Currently, the rule written below forbids any derivatives, even if from OSP sources.

"Submit only your original work, no derivatives of another asset or asset theft is allowed."

Do you think that derivatives of already open source stuff should be allowed, under the condition the author states and declares what he used? If so, how would this affect scoring, and how could potential rule-bending be minimised?
Personally I would draw the line at people using base textures (e.g. a seamless wood texture, or a grime texture). I have a catalogue of base textures that I use for my textures, and while those base textures are not my own work strictly speaking, texturing would be even more annoying to do if I didn't have them. Substance painter would probably be the only valid alternative.
So I'd say: don't use edited textures as your base (such as existing textures for other items). The rest would be fine.

Untitled2.png

Sponsorship Update

We're happy to announce that Nexus Mods decided to support the contest by adding €60 to the prize pool and featuring the contest through their outreach channels! The final bundle that will include all the submissions of the contest will be uploaded to Nexus Mods.

Alongside the already announced sponsorship by NPC99 that increases the total prize pool to €120!

A big thank you to the sponsors! We wish good luck and happy modelling & texturing to all participants!

https://www.nexusmods.com/

Thanks for the very useful and well presented information Maroon and NPC99. After some discussion it is concluded that the ruling regarding animated shield straps will remain the same, and we will not require submissions to have vertex animations for the straps. It adds an extra tedium element to the creation process that isn't ultimately necessary, and we'll spare the authors from that.

The ruling on derivative/base textures will be presented today or tomorrow, I'd still like to hear some more input on that.

Rock on, everyone!

I still haven't claimed my 10 dollar prize from the last 3D contest, so whoever is holding the money, feel free to add it to the prize pool of this contest :smile:

Never having made a shield, I thought I'd have a go at a simple hoplite style one.

CerLs.jpg

But with slightly less polys

F5b4h.jpg

So I could afford a boss

puj6r.jpg

No straps or LODs yet as I jumped into texturing

mU3Wc.jpg

A bit too bright & gaudy, but making dull ones isn't fun.

VOYm_.jpg

Good job I don't have to vertex animate it, the straps will be fiddly enough without that.  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom