[NC2018] Questions & Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Harman said:
Pick nights make no sense. Instead of playing top teams when we win we got randomized by a team from bottom half. :/

I don't know why this format is so popular in wb, it makes no sense and generates random tournament results. Why didn't we stick with last WNL system? Instead of fixing some issues from tournament to tournament we throw away decent solution to replace it with another experiment.

This isn't an "experiment", it's the system which was used in WPL2. Nothing the admins can do about a team getting randomised with you, you are better off complaining to the team that didn't show up to pick than on the forums. WNL6 didn't use a picknight so it didn't have the problem of teams not doing their picks.

Roberta_Baratheon said:
With so many teams upset with the way picking works wouldn’t it make more sense to have the playoffs open to more than four teams? It’s a really small number for a tournament with this many countries.

Also what’s with the pick night time changing every week. I thought I had an hour and thankfully one of my teammates was able to notice that we were up.

no it wouldn't make more sense to change things at the last minute

I agree it would be good to have a more automated system than rely on picks and randomisation, but last WNL had plenty of its own issues. Overall it looks fine so far.

Roberta_Baratheon said:
With so many teams upset with the way picking works wouldn’t it make more sense to have the playoffs open to more than four teams? It’s a really small number for a tournament with this many countries.

That would be lovely. Not only it is unfair, but also less enjoyable if we ony have semis, not quarterfinals as it used to be.

Disagree tbh, right now it's a fairly tight race for who enters the top 4 and leaves everything to play for in the last week. A top 8 is almost exactly what we would've guessed from the very start and renders the past 6 weeks a waste of time. I don't see why people value losing in a quarter final more than losing twice or more in a ladder.

Anyway, I don't think we'll be changing anything as it's late in the tournament.

Both types have issues. With a top 4 after 3-4 weeks you get lots of defaults because teams won't play when they have no chance of progression but it makes the top 5-6 more exciting. Top 8 means less teams give up but it makes the league stage less exciting. Either way it's too late in the day to change it, I can only wish good luck to the top 4 and make it a good finals

Gibby Jr said:
Harman said:

This isn't an "experiment", it's the system which was used in WPL2. Nothing the admins can do about a team getting randomised with you, you are better off complaining to the team that didn't show up to pick than on the forums. WNL6 didn't use a picknight so it didn't have the problem of teams not doing their picks.

For the future, my opinion is that classic swiss system without experiments would be the best. People from other games (not only esport) developed it throught years. I think we're trying to reinvent the wheel in this community.

Also about my teams pick: it's a bit of a loop hole in the rules because levels should guarantee that France shouldn't pick us. Yet they could randomize us.
8. Teams may not pick a team they played against in the previous 2 weeks or a team more than one level above them, unless there is no other alternative.
9. If a team misses their pick or makes an in-valid pick, their pick is randomised from any of the next 3 teams in the picking order that lost their latest match. Failing that, the pick is taken from the next team in the picking order that lost their last match. Failing that, the pick is randomised from any of the next 3 teams in the picking order.

I'm not complaining because we randomized France per se, but I would prefere a system, where you win a match you get to play stronger team and classic swiss, more or less guarantees that (more than this system at least xD).

PS. Also, rematches (even 2) highly influence the BP points. Winning with the same team multiple times strips you from chances to get more points. I won't matter in case of my team in this particular tournament but rematches and BP don't get along well.

Since last week pick bans were done through steam, could you release already factions and pick ban order for teams to do whenever they want?

POS TEAMNAME PLD W D L RW RL RD BP LVL PTS
4 Germany         6      4 0 2 52 15 37 52 4 12
5 North America 6 4 0 2 54 27 27 40 4 12

So NA didn't get to the 2018 semi-finals even though they had more RW, because RL? Like I can see that BP is the determining factor but what is BP and how was it calculated?

Sparkygravity said:

So NA didn't get to the 2018 semi-finals even though they had more RW, because RL? Like I can see that BP is the determining factor but what is BP and how was it calculated?

BP is Bucholz score and is calculated based on the difficulty of the opponents a team faced. It’s useful in a league stage (particularly one where you got to pick your opponents) because it somewhat equalises the fact that some teams have harder matches each week than others. In NC18 I’m pretty sure BP was the sum of the PTS of every team faced.

Gibby Jr said:
Sparkygravity said:

BP is Bucholz score and is calculated based on the difficulty of the opponents a team faced. It’s useful in a league stage (particularly one where you got to pick your opponents) because it somewhat equalises the fact that some teams have harder matches each week than others. In NC18 I’m pretty sure BP was the sum of the PTS of every team faced.

k, I think I understand. Poland went 5w-1L and turkey went 6w-0L during NC2018. So what you're saying is that had any team won against poland or turkey when they were at 4 wins or 5wins they would have earned more BP because those teams had proven themselves tough to beat during the competition? But since you could only pick from those below you... I suppose you had to hope that someone higher up picked you and then you won against them for the upset and the BP? .... hmm if I was a EU team I'd likely avoid picking NA... why pick a team where you might play on a server with terrible ping.

Back
Top Bottom