[General] BoP Main Thread: Host Pixel

Users who are viewing this thread

Balance of Power Thread
Link to bop tool

Eternal hasn't updated his bop thread in ... literally years, and it was decided by the popular vote of about 3 people that I throw up a new one that's all like super up to date and stuff. And hopefully will be kept that way. So...

What is BoP?

BoP, or Balance of Power, on Taleworlds has varied from various historical settings, to science fiction, to fantasy, to gay bars in Manchester. Just as variable as the settings are the mechanics. What all these bops have in common is their core as being geopolitical mechanics-based forum games. And sometimes even the shared "geopolitical" aspect isn't necessarily true. In any case, all bops have one or more hosts, the GMs, who run the game for as few as 8 or as many as 25 players (though these days it rarely exceeds 15). Players are presented with country cards that track their country's (or whatever they're playing as) resources, which are then allocated as the player desires, preferably with some fun creative writing and fluff to go along with it. Players also manage foreign relations with other players and NPC entities. Once all orders are in the host locks them and processing phase begins. Interturns, allowing players to react to events during the processing phase, may or may not happen. Then, once processing is completed, players receive new reports and updated country cards and the loop continues.

It's a lot of fun.

Current games

Hosts are generally always looking for replacements for dropped players and such. A game may be started, but feel free to ask the host to consider a slot for you to join mid-game.
BoP: The Fifth Sun hosted by Pixel

Rules

I don't really think BoP has any rules overall - just guidelines. There are some exceptions though - these are rules I think most bop hosts would agree upon.

Please don't metagame - that is, use information from outside the game to your advantage (like judgments based on the player, rather than their country)
Please don't edit/remove in-character posts in the bop thread without permission. However, this has almost never been a problem, ever, so this is kind of a lax rule honestly.
Don't screenshot bop diplomacy and stuff from your report, ideally there should always be some doubt about what you're saying.
If you aren't a player and know something about the game please don't reveal that information while the game is running.
Ideally, try to include the host in any diplomatic PMs. Not super important but it's nice.

Guidelines
Some time ago I wrote some guidelines, both for bop hosts and bop players. I feel they offer some good advice to make bop more fun for everybody, but they reflect only my experience being a bop host and bop player, albeit the most experienced host. Jus' sayin' : )
Rule 0: Have fun. Above all, make hosting fun and not a chore. Make players suffer in creative ways. Exploit holes in their logic or take their orders a little too literally just for fun. At the same time, reward creative problem solving, and if they're doing well, tell them about it. Write reports about prosperity and grandeur, glory and might. Don't be afraid to be cinematic and wordy.
Rule 1: What you say really is final. Don't be afraid to put your foot down sometimes. That said, you can make mistakes. Acknowledge and embrace that inevitability. No matter how many times you proofread a card, some minor error can and will sneak through.
Rule 2: You can't give away player-sensitive information. Sometimes, someone will pressure you to do so, inadvertently or not, and if that happens you have to invoke Rule 1.
Rule 3: Plan ahead for everything, so you can be consistent in your approach. Copy -everything- down. That's right, everything. Every convo you have with a player, every question you answer. That said, remember Rule 4.
Rule 4: Players will always eventually ask a question you never even imagined anyone would want to ask. It's always the simple stuff - things you really should have thought about, but haven't.
Rule 5: At least one player will always drop/get replaced by turn 2. That player is often a major power. Be ready for this, have replacements on hand if possible.
Rule 6: Some players will just never read your OP or understand your mechanics, no matter how simple or complex they are. Some players simply don't care about your efforts to balance things and will never apply any of those mechanics ever.
Rule 7: Hosting a bop is always about three times harder than you expect it to be. Be minimalist. Minimize your workload, don't take on seemingly minor additions - you'll find they add a lot more effort and time than you think.
Rule 8: Respect the Players' time. Think about it: they've waited two weeks to a month or more to see your report. Give them something worth reading. Actually respond to their orders - every single one should be addressed. Yes, even the seemingly pointless ones. Not just processed on the card, but given at least some kind of feedback. If you don't do this, they will probably just ask you questions about it anyway, so you might as well. It doesn't have to be long or interesting as long as it's covered.
Rule 9: It takes more than one person to run a country (or a starship, or a megacorp, a cabal of dark eldar pirates, a gay bar - whatever it is). Realistically, players should be given lots of advice and support from ... well, all the people helping them run their country. Don't just sling your players into a battle with a map in front of them - their officers should be briefing them about the disposition of forces and so on. Use this to give your players direction.
Rule 10: Don't worry so much about player interest. In my experience, the length of turn processing has never killed a bop. If the bop is good, that is. If you're doing a good job, players don't care if it takes a month and a half. Heh, trust me, been there. That said, be as fast as you can when it comes to processing. The faster it gets done, the more of the previous turns (its events, its player questions, etc.) you will remember, and more importantly you will feel a lot less stressed. Aim for two weeks - but accept that three is more common.
Rule 0: Maybe it bears repeating. Have fun. Indulge in whatever strikes you as cool. Maybe you like building ships, or court drama, maybe you want to go full autism and write a new law code. Maybe your only goal is to push the boundaries of science or something. Or maybe you want to start world war 1-4 as soon as possible. Go nuts. Having fun is the only real win condition in bop, since world conquest isn't practical and they tend not to last long enough for culture/science victories or whatever.
Rule 1: If the GM says no to something, he has a reason. I promise. And ... sometimes, he cannot tell you the reason. This is why this rule exists. The GM telling you the reason may contradict Rule 2 of BoP Hosting.
Rule 2: Be patient and polite about GM oversights and mistakes. Never assume that you're the only one getting mistakes on your card or that the GM is deliberately ignoring/targeting you with something.
Rule 3: It's possible the GM may contradict himself or be inconsistent, if not in actuality than at least from the player's perspective. Perhaps he allowed someone else to complete a project you've been working on with little success for 6 turns straight. If this happens, try not to blame the GM. The other player could have had more resources (or allocated them better) or approached the problem differently than you did and in a way the GM deemed more effective. Never assume host bias.
Rule 4: Be patient and polite with asking the GM questions. Remember that there are about a dozen other people with questions, and if the GM is not careful, he might contradict his own rules (see rule 3). There's a lot to think about, even with the simplest questions players have.
Rule 5: If you're gonna drop, the earlier the better. I don't think there's ever been a time I wished someone had dropped later than they did. If you're gonna be gone a while, for goodness sake, tell the host(s).
Rule 6: The mechanics of any given bop are assembled by amateurs in their spare time, not professional game designers. It's not very nice to deliberately find exploits of those mechanics and break the game. That said, it's also not nice to say nothing about these potentially game-breaking problems.
Rule 7: Respect the GM's time. That is to say: don't join a bop if you aren't going to be able to commit a reasonable amount of time to it. You really just have to write a minimum of a few hundred words every couple weeks - 's not that hard. Do you know how long it takes to make a country card? All the research? The maintenance? The making-it-interesting? Now imagine doing all that for someone who then tells you that they can't play. If at any point you are unable to respect the GM's time by being active enough, consider dropping if it's gonna be over the long term. Last thing any GM wants to do is make reports for a player that isn't contributing anything or having fun. You could be replaced by someone who actually wants to play.
Rule 8: It's a fact: the people who talk to the host (IE: those who ask more questions and point out mistakes, not necessarily those who are the hosts' best friends) are the players who will be more successful in BOP. I've seen it time and time again. So why not? Ask your questions, get your clarifications. If something doesn't look right on the card, always point it out, no matter how minor it may seem. Also, there's a very practical reason to share your diplomacy with the host as much as it is for their amusement: It helps us figure out what the **** you're doing.

Other wise words from the old masters:
This game is sort of a roleplaying game, with ourselves playing as the nations (usually from the viewpoint of leaders, but those can die or get overthrown as the game goes on). The host has a set of rules to loosely govern how trade, technological development, and war are conducted, and the players then set out to do horrible things to one another interact. Alliances are formed (be they public or private), trade deals are struck, and eventually conflicts arise. The attacker usually has the advantage, unless they are Gaham, since they tend to plan and prepare for the war in advance. A good player will have a set of defensive plans on hand though, which goes a long way towards keeping you alive. Remember that detailed plans are usually rewarded, though leaving some flexibility allows your generals to respond to unexpected attacks.

In addition to player nations there are NPC nations, which tend to be less powerful than player controlled nations (since successful warlike players devote tremendous resources to their militaries). You can trade with or attack these powers as well, and they are controlled by the host. If you're looking to expand then NPCs with no direct ties to other players tend to be safer targets. Players on the other hand tend to form private friendships and launching a war on one of them without support can result in multiple people ganging up on you.
1) Decide what approach on the realism - equality scale you're going to go for in countries.

Some game hosts want to provide the 'strong' nations with just about as many resources as the rest of them, while others want to have a pretty big disparity between the powerful and the weak. This is your choice and yours alone, but once you make the choice dedicate to it.

2) Manage your time very, very wisely.

This is easily the most important point. Be aware a full turn takes around 8 hours to process with ~20 people. Manage your weekends so that you can fit that into two weeks. Past two weeks, GMing gets harder. Not only do you have people breathing down your neck, but you also start forgetting what's even going on, which makes having to go back and read every turn order a chore and a pain. You get disconnected from the world, don't enjoy it, feel guilty for letting people down, and a normally alright GM experience turns miserable. Be sure that you try your hardest to get those turn reports out in two weeks or your game will go into a downhill spiral very, very fast.

If you know that the next two weeks will be extremely busy, it is better to call a month off and let people submit turn reports afterwards, rather than keeping people waiting. This way, people will be able to plot and talk instead of losing their patience waiting for you to distribute turn reports.

3) Don't give a damn what people say - stick to your mindset.

Let's face it, unless you have a very complicated system for everything, the game is more or less arbitrarily how you want it. If someone wins a battle because you looked at the numbers and felt 'victory', then if the loser complains you need to ignore him or explain politely that he lost and that's that. Balance of Power is, frankly, a game that is played more against the host than other players. You have to respect that fact and don't allow other players to trump around you while others are disadvantaged because they don't *****.

That's not to say that you won't make mistakes - because you will. However, making a numerical mistake or missing an important line from a battle is different from "in my opinion, x should have happened!" The former should be corrected, the latter should be ignored.

4) Enjoy yourself, make yourself a 'force' in the game world.

Honestly, if you dread having to do turn reports, you're doing them wrong. Enjoy yourself. Add some flair and fun. In my BoP, I made Hitler have a stroke. I wanted to see how Shatari would react, and what the world would do. With some players, they're essentially playing a war against me because they don't really have international interactions and so I'm giving them domestic issues that they have to fight off. Have fun. Make yourself the world and make the world interactive. Follow the thread, follow what people are saying and fix whatever issues in the system there are. I've had to readjust the economy several times, and it has been interesting to see how players have responded to that system's changing. Participate in the game as if you were a player.

5) How to go about handling a turn order.

I had to figure this one out on my own, so this is actually pretty key. You'll forget these steps at first, but once you do enough turn reports they'll become almost like instinct.

1) I keep my inbox the way it is set up by default. I have the most recent messages in front and then you have to go back pages as the PMs get older. I open up several tabs in this order:

First tab will be your 'alternate' tab. Put on music here, or check some other sites once you get bored.
Second tab is your OP. This is to check resource costs and game mechanics.
Third tab will be the PM you're sending.
Fourth through x tabs will be every single page in your inbox that has a turn order. This way, you can very easily cross-reference different turn reports if there is discrepancy in terms of trade or diplomacy.

This keeps everything at-hand and allows you to flip back and forth between everything as you need it.

2) Read every single turn order. If there are any big interactions, write them down. If you want to do something interesting, like a pandemic in an area, write it down.
3) Read every single turn order again. You want to be familiar with who is doing what ahead of time. If you see a plan being foiled by another player, make note of that and make sure not to bungle that up when you're distributing turn reports.
4) Go down the list, starting with major powers. Do all of the trade first, and make sure to do trade for both the trading nation and the nation being traded to.
5) Finish the country card. If they write "build defensive structure", write it on the card before you write the turn report. You will very quickly forget trades and card changes if you do the turn report first.
6) Write up the turn report. Have some creativity and fun with it. Some GMs enjoy writing long essays for theirs - you know me, I'm creative and different but very concise and to the point. Put your own flair in there. See point 4.
7) If they did anything that will go in the global turn report, write it down.

You can come up with your own system, but the above is what I do and it works pretty well.

Host List

Just kidding, I consider this obsolete.

Last edited:
Archives:

Regular BoP Statistics
07/09/17: Almalexia's 1884 Reached Turn 2

11/11/17: Pixel's 627 BC Reached Turn 0

02/15/17: Pixel's 1600 Reached Turn 1

06/26/16: Eternal's 1910 Reached Turn 2

12/09/15: Almalexia's 1950 - Reached Turn 1

07/04/15: Eternal's 1815 - Reached Turn 1

03/10/15: Pixel's Serva - Reached Turn 12

12/06/14: HULKSMASH's BoP: 1700 - Reached Turn 3

08/27/14: BenKenobi's Starfleet - Reached Turn 0

07/01/14: BoP: Interregnum by Moose - Reached Turn 2

12/06/13: Austupaio's Dacralia - Reached Turn 3

08/21/13: Gaham's Alt-1800, Reached Turn 0

07/21/13: Pixel's Alt-1919 - Reached Turn 6

06/17/13: Elisianthus' Fantasy Kandallan, Reached Turn 1

03/12/13: Dodes' 270 BC, Reached Turn 1

02/27/13: Lascivo's 1750, Reached Turn 1

08/14/12: Austupaio's 2025, Reached Turn 3

07/29/12: Eternal's 1935, Reached Turn 11

06/12/12: Riflemerc's 2025, Reached Turn 7

05/19/12: Dodes' 1945, Reached Turn 6

Game Statistics:

Mean Length of Game: 3.5 Turns
Median Length of Game: 2 Turns
Longest Game: Pixel's Serva - 12 Turns
Shortest Game: Gaham's Alt-1800 - Turn 0, BenKenobi's Starfleet - Turn 0, Pixel's 627 BC - Turn 0

BoP-Lite Statistics
08/24/15: HULKSMASH's 478 BC - Reached Turn 0

04/14/15: Ody's War in Acadia - Reached Turn 1

10/07/14: Pixel's Conquistadors - Reached Turn 4

03/29/14: HULKSMASH's Senatorial Shenanigans - Reached Turn 4

Game Statistics:

Mean Length of Game: 2.25 Turns
Median Length of Game: 2.5 Turns
Longest Game: HULKSMASH's Senatorial Shenanigans - Turn 4
Shortest Game: HULKSMASH's 478 BC - Turn 0

Pixel said:
Please don't metagame - that is, use information from outside the game to your advantage (like judgments based on the player, rather than their country)

VARnkGr.gif

A little impossible to avoid 'okay x's behavior is y so I don't find him trustworthy', especially when people maintain a habit of ****ing you over in the same way game after game :p

Yeah we had the discussion years ago, same talking points I think. I know it's basically unavoidable, but I do think it's worth mentioning to avoid doing it if you can.

Pixel said:
Eternal hasn't updated his bop thread in ... literally years, and it was decided by the popular vote of about 3 people that I throw up a new one that's all like super up to date and stuff. And hopefully will be kept that way. So...

It's not like I died, you could just ask me to update it.

Feel free to laugh at me, but this is a serious question; how do I write my orders? (Just joined my first game.) Basically, I know what I want to do, but how do I go about saying it? I thought I saw a template on this thread, but I might have been wrong (or just missed it this time), any ideas are welcome.

Every bop host is a little different with how they want you to write orders but this has basically always worked for me if you want a template sort of thing.

Code:
[b]Title of action:[/b] Some funny/clever subtitle, may or may not include a pop culture reference
--- (you can also use  in the bop tool to draw a line)
// Resources invested (ie 10000 moneydollars)
Describe the action here. This is the fun part. Detail is often rewarded because it means the host makes fewer assumptions for you. And because it's more fun.

And then usually you total up the cost of all your actions somewhere. I always prefer my players to do their totals at the top of their orders so I don't have to scroll to find them on a whim. Some people might prefer them at the bottom tho, who knows.

I use this format.

Code:
Notes:

=====
[b]Section 1 Header[/b]
Section Cost: SectionCost
=====

Action 1 - Action 1 flavor text description goals ideas description goals ideas description goals ideas description - [Cost: Action 1 Cost]

Action 2 - etc

And for a general guide, while the mechanics and what hosts look for varies from game to game, I wrote this primer that should apply in at least most aspects to just about any BoP. It might be handy, at least for the example of an actual in-game order for reference.
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,365211.msg8752111.html#msg8752111

I will strangle you with my own two hands if you encourage anyone to do orders with your length and punctuality, Teo, so hear me God.

One page in Balance of Power closes; but another unfolds. It is my most fervent intent to follow up and continue our journeys together as swiftly as possible, but while looking deeper into history to find a setting more suited and sustainable to my style of hosting, I have come upon not just one, but a handful of settings that have captured my interest and affections, and found myself despite much wrangling unable to settle upon one or the other myself. Each has their own unique draws and styles, predominated by the great agents of upheaval of their times, and as despite their differences I have arrived at an equal love for either period, I have settled to place the time and place of our next Balance of Power in your hands: the next chapter will be decided by the players, by your vote. Consider and choose wisely, my friends, for the choice is in your hands!

Each period will have not just a particular date (with the exception of Mesoamerica), but its own geographic focus. This is an expediency based upon my convergent interest and knowledge/availability of sources: the sustainability of a BoP is as dependent on the interests of the host as the participation of the players. That said, I am open to an Expansion of the primary region of play is in the cards as DLCs; not unlocked by 20 dollar purchases, but by the volunteering and vetting of co-hosts knowledgeable in the chosen areas. The Viking Age (860) thus will be primarily focused on Europe and the Near East, and BoP: The Silk Road (1207) will be focused largely in the Orient and the route of the Silk Road at the eve of the Mongol Invasions. Fascinating countries and events exist beyond these borders, but in the interest of a sustainable game, expansions of the area of play to the East or West in either case is reliant on the interest and volunteered time of co-hosts, who again for interest of a steady and sustainable game will be carefully considered before any widening of the scope of the game.

An exception lies in the case of the last option, which is the brainchild and labor of love of Pixel’s endeavors, with a bit of my own encouragement. It represents perhaps a more restricted scope within the span of a single cultural macroregion, but it is also perhaps one of the most unique and unusual settings of them all. While this is Pixel’s work and is likely to launch regardless, this is a case where an “expansion” (or better put, a sister-game) might become the base game itself; I’ve already made commitments to help co-host this region when the time comes, but if interest is high enough, and in regard for the most sustainable game, I present this option to join forces with Pixel as a dedicated purely co-host. Balance of Power: Mesoamerica, as it stands, is already one of the most comprehensive databases of information online on this wildly diverse and exceptional region, and if it is the choice of the people it would be my honor to join on fully on the endeavor to bring it to life.

All that said, I present the options for the next Balance of Power below; consider carefully, and cast your vote for your favorite setting below!

Balance of Power: The Vikings
The Vikings, Magyars, Byzantines, Khazars, Celts, the Dark Ages of Europe and the Islamic Golden Age of the Arabs

d4UnD.jpg

This is the age of fire and iron, of storms and longships, of the Old Gods raging against the new religion: this is the Viking Age, at its brightest fury. From their frigid homeland from across the North Sea, raiders from the Norselands are spreading in every direction in search of plunder, fame, and new lands to explore and settle. The settled pattern of the past decades of small-scale raids is about to change: stirrings in the North and the prophecies of seers indicate that a great change is on the horizon, when the men of the North draw their swords and longships together into a mighty force capable of toppling the old kingdoms of the distant Continent and isles, and raising their own over their ashes. A new terror is about to be unleashed on Europe, joined by the arrival of the roving hordes of Magyars upon the far frontiers in the East, and even strong states from the successors of Charlemagne, the kings of Great Britain, and the fortress of Great Moravia will struggle to weather the storm to come.

At the same time, across mountains and sea and a thousand leagues in the sands and rivers of the Near East, humankind is experiencing one of the most profound flowerings of thought, sciences, and the arts in history within the cradle of Islamic civilization, which has found itself as a meeting point between scholars and philosophers of dozens of cultures and faiths. Regardless despite the stability that has reigned for generations in the Islamic heartland and the rarified learning they have accomplished within the House of Wisdom, the Caliphate is on the verge of turmoil. The Turkish slave-soldiers that have been their fiercest warriors have begun to realize their own power in the realm of politics, and the great bastion of Christianity against the East, the annual foe of the Byzantines, have begun to recover from their decades of internal conflict over the Iconoclast controversy, and reclaim their lost splendor and strength.

With old empires dividing, and fledgling new states arising, who will have the strength to repel the coming winter? For in the arriving dark, no church nor refuge is safe;

"From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord deliver us."

This setting is at 860CE at the cusp of the greatest upheavals of the Early Middle Ages: a time of swords and fire, when the Viking raiders begin to join their forces to not just plunder, but conquer, and topple the settled kingdoms of Europe to carve out territories of their own. The area of play would be focused largely on Europe and the Near East, where even at the furthest reach of the Vikings, great events would play out in the flickering old hearthes of the Byzantine Empire, the Abbasid Caliphate, and the successors of Charlemagne’s Frankish Empire. These flames of civilization are joined by vibrant new lights in centers like Cordoba, Great Moravia, Khazaria, and Sicily, while petty kingdoms flourish in the borderlands and peripheries, asserting their proud independence in Anglo-Saxon Britain and Celtic Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. But new or old, all now find themselves at the mercy of ruthless raiders hailing from the frozen Norse sea, or from thundering hooves bearing down upon the Eastern marches under the banner of the Magyar horde.

In terms of gameplay, this is an age marked by raiding on the grand-scale, punctuated by epic conquests and periods of trading and coexistence. Exploration also looms large, finding not only new trade routes and lifting the veil of ignorance across a world thrown into ignorance in the aftermath of the fall of the Roman Empire, but voyaging even further to lands unknown even by the ancients, boldly venturing to new territories and new continents across the rolling sea, spearheaded by the Vikings towards the Americas and the Arab-Swahili down the coasts of East Africa. Significant disparities in power may mark some players against others, encouraging different styles of play between petty chiefs, kingdoms, and empires, but localized concentration of power and coalitions can even the playing field. Expect some elements from BoP: Kings of Dragon Pass to appear, adapted into a wider and more contentious arena of cutthroat international politics in an age of ruthless raiding and war, while the struggles of colonization and  statebuilding manifest for those bold enough to forge new kingdoms on the frontier. Expansion further east along the Silk Road, from the Hindu states of India to Tang China where it is about to face the wrath of the bandit armies of Huang Chao, and the rarified splendors of Silla Korea and Heian Japan as well as the thalassocratic empire of Srivijaya, can be considered with co-host.

Balance of Power: The Silk Road
The Mongols, the High Middle Ages, Crusades, Empires, Song China, and the Silk Road

4a65f7c7ada041aea506efe466e5192f.jpg

This is the peak of Medieval Civilization: an age where more independent centers of civilization proliferated and shone than any other, a multi-polar world more diverse and vibrant than ever before. From England to the Khmer Empire, Mali to the Song Dynasty of China, states new and old are experiencing golden ages amidst record population growth and the brisk competition between rising kingdoms. In Italy, the Renaissance has begun in the city-states of Venice, Florence, and Genoa, and in China the Southern Song is undergoing an Industrial Revolution amidst technological innovations that would give birth to the modern world. Knights in shining armor clash and joust in chivalric contests in Europe while the Bushido of the Samurai rises in Japan, and along the Silk Road, the beating heart which connects the Old World as we know it, trade routes pulse briskly with goods and fortunes.

Yet this world stands on the brink: the bountiful harvests and mild winters of the Medieval Warming Period are ending. And riding hard on the brink of this climatic upheaval, is the greatest nomadic conqueror ever, who at the end of his conquests and those of his sons, would forge the largest contiguous empire in human history. Beneath it would be the ashes of kingdoms and of millions who dared to oppose him or were unfortunate enough to stand in his way. In 1207, a man named Temujin became Genghis Khan, and on this year, he would lead his horde from the open steppes of Central Asia out to unite the world. He would come closer than anyone else in history. By the end, using every method and every ounce of cunning born on the hard Siberian steppe, the majority of the Old World was under the rule of the Khans, and they would blot out every king and challenger in their way. This is the 13th Century, and though the world hums and prospers in blissful ignorance, a change unimaginable in scope and ferocity is upon the horizon. The Mongols are coming.

This setting is, at least initially, focused on what we would call the Orient: the vast expanse of Asia, as it stood on the brink of the Mongol Invasions. Starting in 1207, this is a time of great empires and incredible cultural fluorescence, with immense technological, economic, and population growth across a vast area of the world. In China, the reigning dynasty of the Song are experiencing some of the most stunning societal and cultural outpourings in history, becoming unquestionably the most advanced state in the world, but one suffering and surrounded by equals in power by formerly-nomadic empires who have conquered and established dynasties of their own in Northern China at the Song’s rueful expense. In Southeast Asia, two empires rule supreme like never before; the Khmer Empire, whose radiant mandala is centered in their imperial capital at Angkor, the largest urban conglomerate of the pre-industrial world; and the shining Empire of Bagan, who claim a protectorate as champions of the entire Buddhist world.

In India, old Hindu rajas bow in subservience to a conquering dynasty of slave-soldiers who have sprung onto the Northern Gangetic Plain in the name of Islam, opposed by the brilliant Chola Empire in the Dravidian South who thalassocratic hegemony stretches across the Indian Ocean. In Japan, rivalrous lords contest with one another for influence over the Empire in a feud that is about to break into open war, and give birth to the rise of the Samurai. On the far limits of the area of play, the Byzantine Empire is in mortal peril, the City of the World's Desire hanging by a thread at the mercy of Crusaders sent to its relief, while to the North the once great realm of Kievan Rus is splendid but divided, the sons of Rurik dividing his land between them in petty rivalries. In the Near East, the Ayyubids have at long last rid the Muslim world of the Crusader menace, forging an honorable settlement relegating the Franks to a few tenuous footholds on the coast, while the legendary Saladin's life work has been consummated in the liberation of Jerusalem after a long one hundred years in the hands of the Christians. His religious head, the Abbasid Caliph, has meanwhile seen a revival in the fortunes of his realm and after many long years as the puppet of conquerors and strongmen, the Abbasids are at last in a renaissance of their powers and former glory having wrested control over Iraq back into their hands, and in time the splendor of Harun al-Rashid's Baghdad may return to the Euphrates, in revival of the times when moon shone on the telling of the Thousand and One Arabian Nights. And in Persia, a new contestant in a long string of foreign conquerors gives this ancient and glorious land one last age in the sun before the coming catastrophe. For on the steppes of Central Asia, Genghis Khan has united the Mongol tribes, and is about to embark on the greatest ride of the nomadic peoples in history, to unite, or destroy, the known world.

Encompassing most of Asia, this is a more expansive area of play, but in the age of the 12th century for most of the players power would be more evenly balanced, leaving on the whole a more balanced playing board. Each major power or center of civilization has room to expand,  and while interconnected with other players through trade and alliances, most players have less to fear from major power imbalances compared to their neighbors. There is one, almighty, exception to this rule, and this is the Mongol Empire; they, and the player at their helm, can be compared only to a steamroller, and is to be rightly feared. The Mongol war machine is capable of wiping out empires, and is a major dynamic force in this BoP. Trade will also figure highly in this BoP as well, with dynamic trade events to establish new deals along the legendary Silk Road. I highly encourage an Expansion for this BoP, opening up to Europe and the Occident with the chivalric contests for power and wars of Crusade in Europe, but I will require a co-host (or two!) to expand and accurately render the Medieval European world!

Balance of Power: Mesoamerica
Aztecs, the Maya, Zapotecs and Mixtecs, the Tarascan Empire, and the Lost World of Pre-Columbian America

237772-sunsetheader.jpg

actual sunset invasion not guaranteed

The lush valleys, plateaus, and jungles of what is now southern Mexico came to be one of the cradles of human civilization. Here, completely isolated from the rest of the world, the people of Central America independently underwent the Neolithic Revolution, domesticating corn, beans, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, cacao, chilis, and other crops. The simple agrarian villages of the distant past coalesced into hundreds of booming urban centers peppering the landscape. Soon to follow came writing, mathematics, astronomy, philosophy, and all the drama of history and progress in technology.

Despite lacking draft animals, utilitarian use of the wheel, or metal tools, and furthermore settling down in difficult terrain with often marginal farmland, these people nonetheless managed to build sprawling yet organized cities, some of them floating, with hundreds of thousands of inhabitants. They invented zero, traded over long distances along road networks, erected enormous monuments, developed their own metallurgy, worked obsidian with craftsmanship that has not since been equalled, invented unique uses and types of quilted fabric, and devised ingenious and innovative methods of working the land. In so doing, they built civilizations in many ways are equal to those of the old world. This world is mostly lost now, a human tragedy of unparalleled magnitude in its destruction. This BoP is, aside from a forum game, a love letter to an entire world that no longer exists, and in doing so attempts to portray the Mesoamerican world as they would have seen it, to our best understanding of how this perspective would have been. If history is written by the victors, let this be a tribute to those who lost.

This setting brings us most out of the realm of the familiar and into an utterly unique, almost alien land, that despite being settled only some 15,000 years earlier, and arising in total isolation, came to produce some of the most vibrant and spectacular civilizations in the world. From the high mountains and valleys and lowland jungles and wetlands of Mexico, people would create amazing pyramids, floating cities, advanced astronomy, completely unique forms of agriculture, and highly progressive societies the equal of any in the Old World, surpassing many in their accomplishments in the arts and sciences. Though some names are familiar to most in the modern world today, such as the civilizations of the Maya and Aztec, the Mesoamerican world was a place of incredible diversity, and through our work collating information from multiple languages across many sources, we have created perhaps one of the most comprehensive databases of information of Mesoamerica’s civilizations to share with you this lost world.

The area of play here encompasses the cultural region of Mesoamerica as well as its peripheries to the North of Aridoamerica and Oasisamerica, and the peninsular regions of Central America to its South. Mesoamerica requires many unique mechanical adaptations to represent its civilizations, where city states figure as highly as cultures in its rich and complex kaleidoscope of ethnicities, religions, and political entities. I can certainly guarantee it will be a more unique Balance of Power experience than you have ever experienced before. As stated before, this is a bit of an exceptional option: regardless of what the community settles upon here, I’ve already agreed with Pixel to help him in this endeavor, and ultimately he is the boss on when it begins and all other major details as his brainchild and labor of love. BoP: Mesoamerica is an independent project, and while Pixel and I may collaborate in the case of the community choosing one of the above options, players are free (and encouraged) to play in both. I present this project here for those who would like to see us work more closely together on a single project; whereupon I’d act as a dedicated co-host with Pixel on BoP: Mesoamerica alone. This presents likely the best opportunity for more extended run-times for the game and faster returns on processing orders!

For those interested in a sneak-peak on some of the pre-game work we’ve been working on in advance, I have google doc links for 1200 BoP’s country introductions and Pixel’s Introduction to Mesoamerica presented below!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ey5fxP1K6HxzRw858MCY1ptcq3Dy93SscYhRTKi6z7s/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mv37rHiIP_8BZcjcPTbWXwTEAffGq2D8H7U96Lc2Wp8/edit

Otherwise, to place your vote, simply post here with your name, and which of the three options you’d like to see for the next Balance of Power game! Voting will wrap up in approximately two weeks, so make sure to get your vote in and express your interest for the next game! Finally, I’d just like to express my commitment to my continued participation in the Balance of Power community as a host, and my excitement to begin the next chapter in our journeys!

Choose wisely!

Back
Top Bottom