Culture of Sturgia

Culture of Sturgia

• Kievan Rus + mini fraction of the varangians (vikings)

Votes: 101 39.9%
  • Mix of Kievan Rus and Vikings

Votes: 87 34.4%
  • Vikings

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • I do not care

Votes: 47 18.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Vikings... I observe as many likes Nords and Vikings, these seems interesting because their helmets and battlestyle. I not care if Sturgia will be a mix between two different peoples. In Warband Vaegirs not looks so cool, they are Russians with Tatar influences if looking at their armours. Taleworlds not is bad if they not listen suggestions, we have waited enough game...

Arnulf Floyd said:
In Warband Vaegirs not looks so cool, they are Russians with Tatar influences if looking at their armours
They're everything east of Oder packed in one bag and sprinkled with bardiches (sic!) and boyars, so that they resemble vague idea of Rus.

troops trees are still in development. in my opinion, everything is not so bad. Yes, lords are more nordic. But almost all the Slavic toponyms and a lot of names.
add a couple more of these guys and it will be great

With two different heavy cavalries it is hinted that cavalry will play a big rule on Sturgians. Vikings didn't use much cavalry, Normans did, Rus were in a huge plain so using cavalry was the natural thing to do. Vikings on the other hand didn't need horses: they ruled coasts and when they raided inland they used rivers.

Right now with the few informations we have the standard troops are:

melee cavalry: Vlandia > Empire (heavy armor but no shield) = Sturgia > Khuzait > Battania (only T3)

foot bowman: Battania > Khuzait (composite, T5 is marksman and T4 veteran) > Empire > Sturgia

infantry: Battania = Khuzait = Vlandia > Empire = Sturgia

I left out Aserai because the screens are about the Khul that should be a special troops (in fact has two heavy cavalry and ZERO infantry)

Troop trees are even cool in BL, I can't wait to play with Empire cataphracts and legionnaires for lead Northern Empire against Rhagaea and Ira

Arnulf Floyd said:
Troop trees are even cool in BL, I can't wait to play with Empire cataphracts and legionnaires for lead Northern Empire against Rhagaea and Ira

I will do the same but in reverse.  :wink:

Down with the oligarchs and long live the empress!

Lord Engineer said:
Umm... Norwegian?, last time I checked the consensus was that the Kievan Rus' were of more Swedish influenced probably also some other nationalities as well (because that's how these things usually go).

I'm not sure what you consider the 'Kievan Rus' look', but you can definitely see Scandinavian influence through their kite shields (remember the Normans, that were famous for their kite shields, were originally founded by Vikings), maille and lamellar armour, and their distinctive pointed helmets (which often had a chain aventail, much like the Vikings did).

So while I agree Sturgia currently doesn't look as Slavic as many fans expect, I would argue it's not as bad as many proclaim. However the whole naming thing, clan banners, and troop trees are a different story, but I won't get in to that.

blog_post_20_taleworldswebsite_02.jpg

I like the clothes of warriors. They are like Rus.

I do not understand only the flags that remind Skyrim of the Nords.

And Slavic identity in Sturgia is not enough.
If I'm not mistaken, there was information that the Nords would live somewhere on the island, overseas. Therefore, I expected that Sturgia would be in the style of Kievan Rus, and the Nords would be as if part of it, as in this Kievan Rus.

The Vikings influenced the culture, but not so much. The mentality of the Slavs is still very closed. People reject another's culture. For example, now the netflix shoot a film about Troy, where Achilles is an African American. For the Slavs, this looks very wild and disrespectful. We laugh at this. It looks very stupid.

As I said, Rus was identical to the Slavic one. Of the Vikings, we inherited military customs, and this is not so much. Slavs believed in their gods, they had their holidays and so on. Own clothes. Until now, there are excavations and finds of this ancient civilization. There are stories about heroes and so on. All this was transferred from our ancestors. I do not know whether this is true or not, but the imprint of history to this day and the mentality of the people living here are very reminiscent of the historical chronicle of that time. How then did people live in their "families", that is, in tribal families and on this day, all is preserved.

After such an invasion of blacks in the cinema and accusations of the developers of the Slavic game "The Witcher" that there are no black people in the game, then for Europeans this is racism. For the Slavs, this is a national identity. Slavs are bright people, they honor traditions and their roots.

That's why I say that for Europeans, Kievan Rus, it's the Vikings. And, maybe, even in 10 years someone will say that Vladimir the Great was an African American, and you will say: yes, I did not know this. Maybe even soon such information will come that the Vikings were also black, and you will say, yes, it is.

Abroad, everyone thinks that Ukraine and Belarus are Russia, and in general all that is behind Poland is Russia. Also in terms of history. You collect some stupid image and create stupid films on the theme of the Russian Mafia and so on, without knowing anything about the world as a whole.

Also in this game. Developers have the right to do whatever they want, and to invent their own history. But the fact is that all this is taken from real sources. Everything was taken from real events. Weapons, clothes and so on. They, with the same attitude, can simply make the Prince of the Raganvad Chinese man. It will be funny. Also here. For a European or a player, he does not care. Let them at least put the samurai against knights in heavy armor, spit. Do not need anything. Only money and eSports.

For those who want to play this night, live in this Middle Ages, get away from everything, just be in this game for a while, relax, for people it will be strange, for example, the flags of the Vikings from the Slavic tribes or the king of the Slavs - a Chinese guy, or that the royal guard was from the blacks. This will greatly distort the atmosphere and identity. It's my personal opinion.

Now they create a lot of games on real events, people play in them, but it's kind of nonsense. That's why we probably play the mount and blade because the atmosphere is here. Therefore, we play in Kingdom come, because it feels clean, historic, a sense of life. There are no labels or racism at every step. The game develops like a realistic life in those days, and not what the director invented because of pressure from Congress, why there is no Chinese or black in the game.
The game is free of stupid people who stuff the current realities of this world into the old and ancient world.

That's why  likes everyone so much the witcher = because he's pure, traditional. There is no cliché in it. This game was done by people of their culture, they know what they are doing. what atmosphere they want to convey.
Also in the Mafia 1-2. The entire atmosphere of the game is transmitted. Mafia 3 is already some kind of nonsense, although it's beautifully done.

Jurgen said:
Lord Engineer said:
Umm... Norwegian?, last time I checked the consensus was that the Kievan Rus' were of more Swedish influenced probably also some other nationalities as well (because that's how these things usually go).

I'm not sure what you consider the 'Kievan Rus' look', but you can definitely see Scandinavian influence through their kite shields (remember the Normans, that were famous for their kite shields, were originally founded by Vikings), maille and lamellar armour, and their distinctive pointed helmets (which often had a chain aventail, much like the Vikings did).

So while I agree Sturgia currently doesn't look as Slavic as many fans expect, I would argue it's not as bad as many proclaim. However the whole naming thing, clan banners, and troop trees are a different story, but I won't get in to that.

If I'm not mistaken, there was information that the Nords would live somewhere on the island, overseas. Therefore, I expected that Sturgia would be in the style of Kievan Rus, and the Nords would be as if part of it, as in this Kievan Rus.

The Vikings influenced the culture, but not so much. The mentality of the Slavs is still very closed. People reject another's culture. For example, now the netflix shoot a film about Troy, where Achilles is an African American. For the Slavs, this looks very wild and disrespectful. We laugh at this. It looks very stupid.

As I said, Rus was identical to the Slavic one. Of the Vikings, we inherited military customs, and this is not so much. Slavs believed in their gods, they had their holidays and so on. Own clothes. Until now, there are excavations and finds of this ancient civilization. There are stories about heroes and so on. All this was transferred from our ancestors. I do not know whether this is true or not, but the imprint of history to this day and the mentality of the people living here are very reminiscent of the historical chronicle of that time. How then did people live in their "families", that is, in tribal families and on this day, all is preserved.

After such an invasion of blacks in the cinema and accusations of the developers of the Slavic game "The Witcher" that there are no black people in the game, then for Europeans this is racism. For the Slavs, this is a national identity. Slavs are bright people, they honor traditions and their roots.

That's why I say that for Europeans, Kievan Rus, it's the Vikings. And, maybe, even in 10 years someone will say that Vladimir the Great was an African American, and you will say: yes, I did not know this. Maybe even soon such information will come that the Vikings were also black, and you will say, yes, it is.

Abroad, everyone thinks that Ukraine and Belarus are Russia, and in general all that is behind Poland is Russia. Also in terms of history. You collect some stupid image and create stupid films on the theme of the Russian Mafia and so on, without knowing anything about the world as a whole.

Also in this game. Developers have the right to do whatever they want, and to invent their own history. But the fact is that all this is taken from real sources. Everything was taken from real events. Weapons, clothes and so on. They, with the same attitude, can simply make the Prince of the Raganvad Chinese man. It will be funny. Also here. For a European or a player, he does not care. Let them at least put the samurai against knights in heavy armor, spit. Do not need anything. Only money and eSports.

For those who want to play this night, live in this Middle Ages, get away from everything, just be in this game for a while, relax, for people it will be strange, for example, the flags of the Vikings from the Slavic tribes or the king of the Slavs - a Chinese guy, or that the royal guard was from the blacks. This will greatly distort the atmosphere and identity. It's my personal opinion.

Now they create a lot of games on real events, people play in them, but it's kind of nonsense. That's why we probably play the mount and blade because the atmosphere is here. Therefore, we play in Kingdom come, because it feels clean, historic, a sense of life. There are no labels or racism at every step. The game develops like a realistic life in those days, and not what the director invented because of pressure from Congress, why there is no Chinese or black in the game.
The game is free of stupid people who stuff the current realities of this world into the old and ancient world.

That's why  likes everyone so much the witcher = because he's pure, traditional. There is no cliché in it. This game was done by people of their culture, they know what they are doing. what atmosphere they want to convey.
Also in the Mafia 1-2. The entire atmosphere of the game is transmitted. Mafia 3 is already some kind of nonsense, although it's beautifully done.
Dear friends Europeans read this post several times. Perhaps you will understand something.

Arnulf Floyd said:
Medieval games must to be authentic without putting modernism in them

That would be next to impossible and also not practical. Most of our understanding of the period comes from the revival of interest in the 19th century (Romanticism, Medievalism, Gothic revival etc) rather than the fixation with antiquity (Gibbon etc). What is 'authentic' in medieval terms will always be subject of debate. It wasn't settled when I studied history at Uni, and it certainly isn't now. You can have reasonable stabs at it. You can have a game that 'feels' authentic because it conforms to our beliefs.

Let's be perfectly honest with ourselves over realism- very few players would appreciate your character dying of one of hundreds of diseases or afflictions for which there is no reliable cure in the historical equivelent of Bannerlord; especially if you spend any time in an army camp. That's not even considering your troops, who would die of dysentary alone in droves (especially in sieges). Also the near total lack of social mobility would really hamper your options to hob nob with nobility, even if you chose a poor noble background.

'Authenticity' without modernism is all well and good, until you release that elements that restrict gameplay would come under this. Even Kingdom Come Deliverence couldn't pull that one off.

I not want too much realism especially my character dying of a stupid disease. Realism for me in gaming context means a setting free of fantasy and magic, in rest nothing else matters

Arnulf Floyd said:
I not want too much realism especially my character dying of a stupid disease. Realism for me in gaming context means a setting free of fantasy and magic, in rest nothing else matters

Okay but having a disease-immune character is just as fantastical as dragons in the skies of Calradia. It's just a different fantasy.

Jurgen said:
Lord Engineer said:

From what I understand the Nords are going to act as essentially vikings in Bannerlord, and will be like sea raiders but aligned with their own faction. So I would think there would be some similarities, and maybe overlap, but Nords and Sturgians would still be distinct from one another.

Regarding the casting of a black African in the role of Achilles, well... it's not only Slavs that think that's stupid and ridicule it. Achilles is described as being fair and blonde, so not from Ghana. There were Africans in Greece around that time period, yes, but they were from the northern part of Africa, i.e, Caucasian. Another thing to consider that this is a product of the BBC and Netflix and in recent years the BBC has adopted a policy of political correctness over reality. The BBC defends themselves by claiming there's not enough black actors with lead roles, to which there is a very simple solution: cast black actors in the role of black characters (think Black Panther and Luke Cage).

I stand by my statement that Scandinavians influenced, and I do mean influenced, Kievan Rus'. Since documentation from this period of time is sketchy at best and mostly non-existent most of what has agreed upon as truth is from comparing thousands of sources and making educated guesses from there, as historians do for a lot of eras that lack documentation.

So I will add onto what I said earlier, early rulers/leaders of Kievan Rus' were probably Swedish and influenced the culture of the locals one way or another before being assimilated by, and assimilating the Slavs from the surrounding lands. The Slavic tribes before Kievan Rus' weren't really unified and I'm presuming the early leaders would have done some form of unification. A period of rapid Slavification if you will. This is what tends to happen in these sort of situations, like what happened with the Franks and the Vikings (The viking founder Rollo had a son named William, which is not a very vikingesque name). So the vikings did not create or replace Slavic culture but intermixed with it, though to what degree I can't say (that being said I wouldn't think it be too major).

With there being no black people in The Witcher series, it's a fantasy series it can do whatever it wants. Lord of the Rings is in a similar vein. Slavs are not the only people who are a "bright people, {who} honor traditions and {who} roots.", many other ethnolinguistic groups do the same. More than one ethnic group has a sense of national pride and patriotism, in fact I would argue finding one without would more difficult. Also last time I checked Slavs are European, but you seem to make a distinction between the two, which I found odd. Now Vikings weren't black, though one of their main trades were slaves and they did encounter black people, so it is possible for there to have been a 'black viking' though the probability of that would be very, very low.

Now Vladimir the Great being black, that would be highly unlikely as there is not even the tiniest possibility. I admit most people don't have an accurate image of Belarus, Ukraine, or Russia, myself included, though at least in regards to Russia as a country is very closed off to most of the world in terms of the import and export of media and a lot of it would heavily politically charged. Though 'politically charged' sums up a lot of Russia.

Taleworlds has shown themselves to be trustworthy developers thus far, they hadn't gone full EA or Ubisoft yet, I don't expect them to betray their player base's trust anytime soon. Now as I have painstakingly pointed out Kievan Rus has Scandinavian influence so I think it's acceptable for maybe one or two banners to have Scandinavian influence, though not the exact same thing, however I would like Sturgia banners to adopt a more Slavic design (though some, like the bear one I reckon are fine). Honestly your examples of misplaced ethnicities is a bit over the top and I don't think the current case is as severe but I get what you're saying and I'm guessing this hits closer to home for you, thus you place more importance on it than I could.
For Honor honestly pisses me off as a game (and not just because it's spelt wrong) due to the wild amount of historical inaccuracies and just plain dumb elements, the two worse offenders are vikings being unarmoured (so, so stupid), and swords being able to cut through plate. You can't cut through plate metal with a sword, why do you think they invented half-swording and warhammers?. Why the hell would they wear armour if it didn't do anything?. As a bonus: where are their shields?, most real life warfare was done with shields (and spears for that matter). On a more positive note, Taleworlds made spears effective in Bannerlord :party:.

On a side note I have a fondness for Andrzej Sapkowski's The Witcher novels, Baptism of Fire is my personal favourite, though I disagree with your analogy. The games while good in their own right, they abandoned many aspects of the books. It always annoyed me how signs went from being rarely used in combat and mostly for utilities to flashy much more powerful combat versions. I never really felt that the Geralt in the games was the same character as the sulking philosophical one in the books. This, along with many other things, has made me treat the games like a fanfiction and less of an actual addition to the story. So I would not call it pure, and honestly I don't care who produces a game so long as they make a good and or enjoyable game.

This took me forever to write on my phone.

The way I see it is Sturgia is basically the Calradian version of Kievan-Rus using the Norman theory, i.e. Norse warriors were invited to be military and societal leaders, usually sealed with a marriage to a local notable of some kind. Therefore, I think the best way to go about mixing the Norse and Kievan-Rus influences would be (since players can no longer join mini factions) to have a couple clans of each nationality, allowing the player to pick if he/she wants a more Norse or Kievan-Rus experience. Also, similar to how other factions have "internal disputes", this could open the door for some interesting local politics, i.e. how the Prince (depending on if he's Slavic or Scandinavian descent) keeps the peace between the two groups, i.e. a Nordic descended Prince may be interested in bringing more Nords over/giving more Nord descendents lands, which could anger the Sturgian clans, or vice-versa.

For Honor honestly pisses me off as a game  due to the wild amount of historical inaccuracies and just plain dumb elements,

For Honor has never prided itself on its historical accuracy. The main selling point it originally was the ability to see your favorite sword fighting heroes fight each other.

This means your anime bastardized Samurai, the war torn honorable Knights, and the crazy fearless naked Bezerker Vikings.

You are roleplaying as those medieval heroes you admire in Hollywood movies, not real historical Knights, Vikings and Samurai.

In other words, the target audience is not history nerds like you, but the casual market who does not spend hours reading video game forums arguing about history and realism.

Also the question of the creation of a dynasty by the Swedes is just a theory, which now has more than a dozen answers. History before the formation of Kievan Rus has few facts. We know for certain that the Vikings were part of the elite army under the prince. They were mercenaries because it was their job. The princes were mostly Slavic or with roots, Scandinavians and Slavs. I'm not sure. There are no facts. Then, as now, they were very hostile to outsiders.

Also there were no Scandinavian clans or anything like that. Only the Vikings, like in all countries, settled there, where they will be paid good money. But no one would give them an important position, perhaps in the army, and this is unlikely. For the military nobility were boyars - people of local tribes. No one took mercenaries to the council, only if from the point of view of war.

And the prince did not have berserkers. The prince had his own big guard, with whom he fought. Her name is Druzhina. And there were still communities that had their own leader. Each leader had his own guard and a small tribal army. In principle, as in the game. Only in the history of Kievan Rus it was the Slavs, and not the Vikings.

In the game, as I understand, the deviation is more in the Vikings, and the Slavs are not visible there. And the words and Military ranks are Scandinavian.

Rainbow Dash said:
For Honor honestly pisses me off as a game  due to the wild amount of historical inaccuracies and just plain dumb elements,

For Honor has never prided itself on its historical accuracy. The main selling point it originally was the ability to see your favorite sword fighting heroes fight each other.

This means your anime bastardized Samurai, the war torn honorable Knights, and the crazy fearless naked Bezerker Vikings.

You are roleplaying as those medieval heroes you admire in Hollywood movies, not real historical Knights, Vikings and Samurai.

In other words, the target audience is not history nerds like you, but the casual market who does not spend hours reading video game forums arguing about history and realism.
I sense a little bit of flame over here, but it's a nice point mate. Juice for you. As for the post itself, wasn't it another post talking about the exact same thing? It's quite irrelevant also, just notice the poll

My comments about Scandinavian vs. Slav clans was meant as an in-game representation, since in-game ruling families are separated into clans, but I probably should have used Nord and Sturgian for clarification. As far as Nords in positions of power, that was how the Sturgian culture was introduced in its devblog, so that is established as Calradian historical fact, although it is entirely up for debate in real history.

I feel the main reason there has been an increase in the Scandinavian/Nord influence on Sturgia was the removal of minor factions as playable by the character. Originally, the main faction would have been more Slav/true Sturgian, while the minor factions would give players a chance to experience a more Nord influence, but without that they felt the need to inject more Nord influence into the main culture.

Back
Top Bottom