BladeEd Warband Scene Editor

Users who are viewing this thread

Lord Rich

Grandmaster Knight
Introduction
BladeEd is intended as free to use software which permits the user to open and modify Mount and Blade Warband scene files. The editor currently allows for the adjustment of all terrain and texture layers by letting the user access them and open them for modification in any external image editing tool. This isn't intended as a total replacement for the in-game editor, but serves as a useful tool for creating large terrains and applying consistent texturing and shading rules to them.

79i5n4ik1x47sr6zg.jpg

The image above shows a heightmap loaded directly from a map I made called Frosthaven which is used in the competitive warband scene. Using this tool I would be able to open the image file in an outside program like photoshop (or even paint) and manipulate it as a texture. Any heightmaps generated in other software can also be loaded into warband in this way.

The following was created in about 5 minutes using a heightmap of the UK (shown below) taken from google and manipulated a little in paint.net.

i6g528jzrj6yyq4zg.jpg

xq5ejpkrruxfebvzg.jpg

I would possibly like to develop it further in future to support procedural generation of landscapes which might be a bit better than the ones available by default in warband.

Installation Instructions
To install simply download the file given below and then unzip the archive to a folder of choice. Instructions on usage are included as a pdf with the zip file.

Current Release (V0.1.1)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/46bxrrnqm9gea8d/BladeEd_V0.1.1.zip/file

Changelog

V0.1.1
  • Fixed some controls not resizing properly
  • Pebble Layer now shows correctly in the layers tab
  • Fixed an issue where height maps would be displaced one pixel to the right in the viewer (this affected copying the maps from the viewer).

Archived Downloads

Wonderful, I've long been hoping for a tool like this?
Does the 'objects' tab work already? I would be very useful to be able to search, edit, remove, replace objects from outside the scene editor.

InVain said:
Wonderful, I've long been hoping for a tool like this?
Does the 'objects' tab work already? I would be very useful to be able to search, edit, remove, replace objects from outside the scene editor.

It's a bit work in progress, at the moment it doesn't really do more than display the objects properties and give you the option of downloading them as a CSV file. I can look to adding the ability to modify the objects list, it should be possible to add the features you mention there.

Oh yeah, an export/import to/from sheet feature is even better than what I suggested. :smile:

How do sco file store props, btw? I think Swyter once explained to me that the store both the prop ID and their name, but only the name is called, not sure if I remember correctly. Many sceners including myself experienced weird prop replacements after changing something seemingly inconspicous in module_props. If you could export the prop list to a sheet, find/replace all props of one type with another, and import that back into the sco file, things like these could be fixed with ease. This is why I'm a bit excited. :wink:

This is the data I have decoded for the objects:

Group Number - This holds which group of objects its from, scene props, plants, entry points etc...

Type Index - The index of the type of object, this will be unique to each group

Magic Number - Don't have a clue what this does if anything, changing it has no noticeable effect and it always seems to be the same on all objects, seen some others in the code, it may be some sort of version number.

X Axis, Y Axis and Z Axis - These 3 axes must be orthogonal 3d vectors which effectively hold the objects yaw, pitch and roll for use in matrix multiplication. I am translating these to yaw pitch and roll for easier interpretation in my application

Location - 3D vector location of where the centre of the object is relative to the world

Name - A string of characters representing the objects name

Var1, Var2 - These hold the settable variable properties for objects, interestingly they're stored as 32 bit integers in the map file but have heavy restrictions on their values in the warband editor (for normal objects the range is 0-127). I haven't played around with trying to set higher values and seeing if they actually get into the game yet.

Scale - 3D vector holding the scale of the object

----------------

I would have thought that the objects index would be used for looking up which meshes to use etc... Would be faster and avoid the risk of having identical names on objects, however names would have the advantage that they could potentially handle objects being re-ordered and their indices changing without breaking the map. If it is names I would think having 2 identically names objects or removing a used object name would have detrimental effects.

Lord Rich said:
I would possibly like to develop it further in future to support procedural generation of landscapes which might be a bit better than the ones available by default in warband.

Is this still in your plans? :smile:

Very good software, very useful, you can take any plan of castle on internet put it in white and black with Gimp and having the relief or a texture on your map then as a mark where to place props. I didn't master well how you can elevate ground more like you did on your screenshot. Pure white is the max elevation you can get ?

You still working on this?  :smile: An export/import from CSV feature for objects would still be very nice.

Also, I noticed what could be a minor bug: When I exported and reimported a height map, it was displaced horizontally by one pixel. Could be that it happens with other maps too, or only under certain circumstances, I didn't do further tests.

Edit: Thanks to Ettenrocal for confirming it happens with texture maps, too.

Apologies for the lack of updates on this, I don't tend to have a lot of free development time so while I am not currently working on anything Warband related I tend to let things lapse.

I have created a small update (v0.1.1) to this application which will hopefully fix some of the small issues encountered so far, please let me know if these aren't working correctly or of any other bugs. The download link can be found in the first post.

Thank you very much for the update your software is awesome, i speak of it to every scener ! Also combining BladeED with this https://watabou.itch.io/medieval-fantasy-city-generator can be a really good thing for people in lack of inspiration. Generate a plan, make an heigthmap in Gimp with relief (50 shades of grey), put this in BladeED -> Tada !!!

The best place to get accurate heightmaps (you can be as accurate as a size of town, just be patient with the zoom): https://tangrams.github.io/heightmapper/

If you want to make heightmap from a mesh m you can use this tutorial:

]

Then you can use BaldeED with your heightmap and have the realistic shape of the terrain in your scene !

Hello ! i tried BladeED 1.1 and i think you have the same bug than before but in "worse" you have now a 2 pixels displacement to the right: i had this time to displace my exported texture layer 2 times from one pixel to the left. Pebbles layer is working.

Introduction
BladeEd is intended as free to use software which permits the user to open and modify Mount and Blade Warband scene files. The editor currently allows for the adjustment of all terrain and texture layers by letting the user access them and open them for modification in any external image editing tool. This isn't intended as a total replacement for the in-game editor, but serves as a useful tool for creating large terrains and applying consistent texturing and shading rules to them.

79i5n4ik1x47sr6zg.jpg

The image above shows a heightmap loaded directly from a map I made called Frosthaven which is used in the competitive warband scene. Using this tool I would be able to open the image file in an outside program like photoshop (or even paint) and manipulate it as a texture. Any heightmaps generated in other software can also be loaded into warband in this way.

The following was created in about 5 minutes using a heightmap of the UK (shown below) taken from google and manipulated a little in paint.net.

i6g528jzrj6yyq4zg.jpg

xq5ejpkrruxfebvzg.jpg

Installation Instructions
To install simply download the file given below and then unzip the archive to a folder of choice. Instructions on usage are included as a pdf with the zip file.

Current Release (V0.1.1)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/46bxrrnqm9gea8d/BladeEd_V0.1.1.zip/file

Changelog

V0.1.1
  • Fixed some controls not resizing properly
  • Pebble Layer now shows correctly in the layers tab
  • Fixed an issue where height maps would be displaced one pixel to the right in the viewer (this affected copying the maps from the viewer).

Archived Downloads
Hey hello buddy. I want to use this editing tool, but how big should a heightmap be? For example, how many pixels did you design the UK map in the photo and which program did you use?

Back
Top Bottom